Chapter 8 – Save and Restore
346 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

I loosened my grip and got back up from the ground, offering my hand to Norah. She pulled herself up, and for the first time in my life, we hugged each other.

Tears disturbed the perfect reflections of ourselves on the arena floor.

A decision has to be made.

 

"It's pointless," I responded, without loosening the hug. "I could never, ever hurt her. I surrender."

Surrendering will forfeit your duplicate. Continue? Y/N

 

"Yes. I'm ready. I already died anyway." I kissed her cheek and was pulled away, concentric circles lifting me upwards from the arena. "Farewell, Norah."

Norah wasn't ready to let me go. "PRS! I have participated in two of your stupid matches in a row. They all were based on your arbitrary rule set. I always thought you would aim for fairness, rather than sadistic torture!"

My sovereignty is limited. I need to follow my orders.

 

"You said that humans, programs and Pokémon are equal. You've also proven your ability to construct a replica of myself."

It was necessary to ensure fair combat. Trainer skill determines the outcome, not the strengths of the vessels they control.

 

"Look, I get your point. However, my body is not subject to fight over, it is mine. If you are powerful like that, why don't you rebuild Ace instead?"

It is fairly easy to write bytes.

Reforming atoms and electrons is difficult.

 

A glimmer of hope emanated from Norah's eyes. It was difficult, not outright impossible. "Right! We also can use Pokéballs to store data, in a way."

Correct.

 

Norah blushed in a deep red, turning her head towards me. "Hey, Ace. We're friends, right? You know you can trust me. Would you… would you allow me to... uh... catch you? I mean… back up your data?"

I nodded in agreement and chuckled, making up a pathetic Pokèmon sound on the fly. "Aaaaaace."

Norah chuckled, spun her cap half way and grabbed a small orb from her Vulpix-handbag. She threw the item in my direction. "I can't believe I'm actually saying this. Go! Pokéball!"

The spinning orb clicked open as it connected with Trainer Norah, the duplicate I've been using. The female body dissolved around me. A bright beam, emitted by the orb, invited my very self to enter. I didn't resist as my memories, thoughts and feelings were encoded, bit by bit. 

"So, what now?", I asked, coursing through the system.

Norah was hyped. "We made it, Ace! I'll take great care of you! Together, we'll find a way out of this mess and restore your body. PRS - let's do this. You owe me one!"

My sovereignty is limited.

The energy available is fading. You need to leave.

 

Indeed, the arena started to fracture, and the purple lines and beacons flickered out.

"Pierce!" Norah urged, with the platform fracturing around her feet, "Help us, and we will help you."

The neutral voice seemed to think for a while. The response was fragmented, similar to a walkie-talkie operating way beyond its intended range.

You are a great team. You can succeed. I will do -- best to help.

--- --- P----all!

Free me ---- capt---y, --- -rovide -- ---- enou-- -nergy -- alter ---- real---.

 

The arena disappeared into static noise, and Norah squealed as she fell with her eyes closed.

 

 

Surrendering will forfeit your duplicate. Continue? Y/N
  • Y Votes: 8 80.0%
  • N Votes: 2 20.0%
Total voters: 10
3