Chapter 3 – Alpha
81 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Details, Seto thought. How you run the world is through details. From large like which commodities are seasonal in which markets, to small like which designer watch to wear with which designer cufflinks. From layered bowl cut with fringe point to wingtips, from massive credits to minor debits, details make the picture. Drive the machine. Run the world.

Details like a technical engineer unhappy with current internal restrictions. Like an attorney hamstrung by outdated ideals. Like a secretary with wasted talent.

Seto and Roland got in the car. Seto spent much of his time with his guardian’s assistant. Mokuba spent far more time with Kaiba himself, when the boy wasn’t in school.

Tamura from Security drove as Roland reviewed paperwork.

“...and after the board meeting, Kaiba-sama wants you to join him to meet with Konica.”

“Tell me something, Roland. Has anyone ever lost their seat on this board?”

“No. The vote is really just a formality.”

“So, when the dust settles, Kaiba-sama will still be chairman and CEO, and you will still be his pet.”

“I imagine you have a point.”

“What if someone lost their seat? What if simple things changed such as an omega with a masters in finance being allowed to wear a suit to the office?”

“What if one person controlled 52% of the voting shares?”

“One person controls 49%.”

“Mokuba -”

“My brother. Yes. He does appear very attached to Kaiba-sama. But, of course, I only asked ‘if’.”

If someone lost their seat, it may take some time for the remaining board members to adjust to the new management style.”

“Evolution rather than revolution?”

“Revolution often comes at the price of the market. If there were a change at the board level, one would strive not to affect the stock price.”

“I see.”

They were largely silent for the rest of the trip.

The KaibaCorp building was impressive. When it was originally built, it was the tallest building in the city. Gozaburo himself lead the team of architects that designed it, and they used bleeding edge, experimental technology throughout the facility. Where the design failed to meet building codes, Gozaburo simply bribed the Building Inspectors. As a result, the office building had some startling features that a few people might consider unsafe.

Gozaburo's response was to consider those people omegas-by-proxy.

Seto and Roland went straight to the board room. Seto took his place at Kaiba’s left; his brother was seated to their guardian’s right. The rest of the board arranged themselves.

“Let’s start this,” Kaiba huffed. “Pointless bullshit. Roland, minutes.”

“In our last meeting….” He read off the major decisions of the second quarter meeting. “If no one has any corrections or points of order? Very well. New business. The first order is the annual election of the board of directors.” He paused, surprised. “There are two proposals.”

“Two?” They all seemed surprised.

“Proposal number one: retain the current board, with no changes.”

“Expected,” the CTO said. “I have to ask, what is the second?”

“Proposal number two: remove -” he stopped and looked at Seto. “Remove Kaiba Gozaburo from all current positions. Install Kaiba Seto to same. Retain remaining current board for two year term.”

“WHAT!” Kaiba roared. His outrage was more than evident as he grabbed Seto by the throat. “You conniving gutter rat! I should -”

“Sir! Please!” Tamura saved Seto from being choked to death. 

The boy coughed a bit, but managed to remain calm. “I didn’t think you would be so concerned. I thought this might make the day more interesting. Have I failed you yet?" He paused almost imperceptibly. "Otou-sama?”

Kaiba glared at his elder son. While Mokuba was a nearly perfect child, Seto was a constant irritation. Willful but wiley, the boy had most of the outside world charmed into believing he was Christ reborn. Alpha wits and omega charisma; men and women alike courted the boy for physical and financial liaisons. Neither of which were ever granted. Only Kaiba himself knew how vindictive the little omega bitch could be.

The financial destruction of KoToCo. The stock price crash of Niemitz Arms. The rise of KaibaGames. The fall of MG Corp. All orchestrated by a boy too young to get a driving permit.

Kaiba sat and gestured everyone else back to their places. “Another challenge, boy? Ok. I vote proposal one. 49 shares. Your move.”

“Thank you. Otou-sama. I vote proposal two. Three shares. Legal?”

The CLC looked thoughtful for a moment. “Proposal two, nine shares.” He looked at Kaiba. “I am curious how this will end. Accounting?”

“Proposal two, of course. Nine shares. Let’s keep the game interesting. Tech?” The CFO seemed amused.

“Proposal two, nine shares,” the CTO said flippantly. “And here I thought today would be dull.”

“Gozaburo-san.” The COO sounded concerned. “Are you treating this as a serious matter?”

“Everything the boy does is a serious matter,” Kaiba smirked. “But he’s not as smart as he thinks he is. Go on, play along.”

“Very well. Proposal two. Nine shares. Secretary?”

Roland looked at Seto. “Evolution?”

“Not challenging enough.”

“I see. Nine shares, proposal two.”

“And now this little game comes to an end,” Kaiba scoffed. “You have run out of shares. I win.”

“Not quite. Otou-sama. Mokuba has yet to vote.”

“Don’t be absurd! Mokuba doesn’t -”

“Tou-san, I have three shares, remember?” Mokuba spoke up. “You said if I wanted to vote on anything I could, but I might not make a difference in the outcome.”

“Oh. Heh. So you want to vote now? Want to make a difference?”

Mokuba’s expression changed. “Tou-san, I understand what’s going on. This is an attempt at an internal takeover of the company.”

“So you have been paying attention.”

“Of course, Tou-san! I learn more from you than I do at school.”

“Ok, son.” Kaiba grinned. “Vote. Show the boy what you’ve learned.”

“Three shares, proposal two,” Mokuba said simply.

“You mean proposal one,” Kaiba growled.

“I go with Nii-sama.”

“You sonovabitch BASTARD!”

Kaiba lunged at Seto but this time the boy was expecting the move and pushed back from the table.

“Calm yourself. Otou-sama.”

“I knew I should have left you to rot in the hole where I found you!”

“How cruel. Otou-sama.” Seto backed away.

“STOP CALLING ME THAT YOU DEMON!”

 

When Kaiba lunged again, Seto stepped aside.

They both realized at the same moment that the window behind him was open. Not wide, only a few inches. But enough. Enough to be unsafe.

“KAIBA!” rang out in chorus with “TOU-SAN!”

Seto watched his guardian free fall. The sunlight glimmered against the glass and steel buildings. Almost blinding. Washing out everything but a small figure falling...falling…. There was a dull, metallic thud and a crash of glass. Then nothing. Then voices, distant screams.

He turned away from the window. Around him the room seemed too bright. It hurt his eyes. “Tamura, take my brother home. Tech, go assist the first responders.”

“I - God! I don’t -”

“I know about the Noa Project. Determine if the technology can be used again. Roland, reschedule Konica.” He wondered if the boardroom had always been so bright. “Ops, inform the staff. The entire firm will observe the traditional mourning period. Legal, Accounting, follow me. We need to assess the transition and find his will now.”

Seto moved for the door, then realized everyone was still in shock behind him. Sound around him seemed somewhat distorted. “Now! You may grieve his loss when my position is secure!”

“The king is dead,” the CTO murmured.

The CFO nodded sagely. “Long live the king.” He stood and gathered his things.

0