Chapter 4 – Alpha
59 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The idea, sir, is to show the ease and flexibility of the device by showing it being used by a variety of people. We have two main shoots planned - one male, one female - but we’ll blend the two so that we can create nine different campaigns.” The agency man went on as Kaiba Seto reviewed the storyline. “Kawai is providing the models and clothing. We are using locations at -”

“Fine. Roland.”

“Yes, Kaiba-sama?” His secretary was never more than a few feet away.

“Are you familiar with Kawai? What do you think?”

“Several of my suits are Kawai Menswear. I find their casual wear is a bit pretentious, but their business selection is the right balance of quality and functionality. Tamura is wearing Kawai today, in fact.”

“Is he?” Kaiba pulled out his phone and dialed. “Come to my office.” He hung up. “Do you have any experience with their womenswear?”

Roland smirked. “I’m afraid I’m not in the habit of wearing skirts to the office.”

“Not now,” Kaiba snarked under his breath.

Tamura arrived, ending the exchange. Kaiba studied the detailing of his clothes, then nodded.

“Approved. Put the first and last days of photography on my calendar. I want final say of the details.”

“Very good, sir.”

“Dismissed.” The ad man left and Seto dropped onto his couch. “Tell me I can go home.”

“You have a lunch meeting with Sega,” Roland replied. “I might be able to clear your day after that. Might.”

“Tsk. So petty. I didn’t ask you to wear a skirt.”

“I’ll take that into consideration. You’re squinting. Are the lights too bright?”

“No.” Almost two years, and Seto still could see him falling. Falling. “It’s my own fault. I shouldn’t have thought about ... it.” He stood up and smoothed his clothes. “When is the memorial?” He went to his desk and opened his computer.

“Next week. Tuesday through Thursday.” Roland flipped through a calendar. “A Shinto service at the gravesite all three days, and then a repast at KaibaManor Thursday afternoon. Oh. Oh my.”

“What?”

“The Prime Minister RSVP’d.” Roland looked at Tamura, who was already dialing his phone.

“I am convinced that you two are telepathic,” Seto chuckled. “I think it’s one of the unexplored benefits of bonding.”

“If that were true, he’d know how I like my coffee,” Roland huffed.

“Perhaps he simply knows you enjoy being fussy.”

Tamura ended his call. “We have a team coordinating with the PM’s office. And you never take your coffee the same way twice.”

The intercom buzzed.

Seto frowned as Roland answered it.

“Kaiba-sama’s office.”

“Ichikawa-san from Ad-a-mations is on the line.”

“He just left. Now what?” Roland looked at the Seto, who nodded. “Put it through.”

When the phone buzzed again, the executive answered it. “Kaiba.”

“Kaiba-sama, please forgive me for disturbing you again, but we have a small situation.”

“Go on.”

“Kawai has a model in mind, but he will be unavailable until next month.”

“I gather there is a reason they cannot simply use another model?”

“He is their premier idol. Jou is very popular in our target market, and they are very insistent on using him. Their quote is hinged on using him. Frankly, sir, we are extremely lucky to -”

“Find another -”

“Sir, please forgive my interruption, but there is another option.”

“Go on.” Kaiba rolled his eyes.

“The model is on another shoot that will end today. They believe they can complete our project with him in a day - tomorrow, in fact. But I know you wished to be pres-”

“Hold.” Kaiba hit mute and looked at Roland.

The secretary was studying his calendar. “I can move HR to after lunch and… Accounting can handle this… yes, I can clear your morning.”

Kaiba reactivated the phone. “I can be available any time before noon.”

There was some background conversation on the line. “Yes, yes, sir. Excellent! They intend to begin at sunrise, but you may arrive whenever -”

“I do not intend to waste their time or mine. They are not to start until I approve the project. If they are beginning at sunrise, I will be there at that time. Have the relevant information sent to me.” He hung up and looked at his staff. “I’m afraid you two will have to make it a short night.”

“If we’re going to be somewhere before sunrise, it will no night,” Roland snickered. “I need my beauty sleep.”

“...hmmm. No.” Seto shook his head. “Too easy.” Tamura snickered. “What do I have tomorrow that we can move up to today?”

They revised the schedule, then met with the VP of Development for Sega for a late lunch.

Midway through, the man moved closer to Kaiba. “I have to admit, Kaiba-san, I have always admired you. I was hoping today we could, perhaps, have a more intimate meeting after our meal.”

“Roland, please see if the restaurant has an emergency suppressant on hand,” Kaiba sipped his tea, “before this omega bitch’s heat sets off the entire building.”

“Right away, sir.” The administrator left the table.

“Now see here, Kaiba!” the VP shouted, then took note of their surroundings. “I am not an omega,” he hissed.

“Then do not comport yourself as one.” He finished his meal calmly. “I have no interest in you beyond the Dragons Soar games. If you desire a more intimate relationship, perhaps, another representative would be more suitable.”

“No, no!” The man moved away and laughed awkwardly. “A joke, a joke of course!”

“Oh. Yes. Of course. Due to my age, most clients avoid off color jokes, but it is refreshing to be treated as, what’s the expression? One of the boys.”

“...yes...you are rather young.”

“Still under the age of majority, in fact. Technically, sexual congress with an unwilling underage Alpha or Beta is a class two criminal assault.”

“...is it?”

“Oh yes.” Kaiba wiped his mouth. “Did you desire more? Or are we done?” Roland and a worried restaurant manager appeared before he responded. “My apologies, gentlemen, false alarm. We will take the check now, thank you.” He pulled out his wallet. “Do you take -”

“Kaiba-sama, please allow me!” The other man handed the manager a credit card. “Just bring me the receipt. My guest and I were satisfied with everything.”

The manager bowed and hurried off.

“How generous of you,” Kaiba said graciously. “Please allow me to repay the courtesy another time. Are you attending the memorial next week?”

“Yes. I and our president will be there.”

“I’ll see you are on the guest list for dinner Thursday. If you will excuse me. I have another appointment this afternoon, and I wouldn’t want to keep them waiting.”

* - * - * - * - *

“That is the third time in four days some Alpha oaf has tried to touch me,” Seto groused in the car. “What is wrong with this suppressant?”

“You could be gaining an immunity to it,” Tamura suggested. “Perhaps it’s time to try a new formula.”

“It’s only been a few months on this prescription! I cannot start wearing a collar like - like - like -”

“I will contact medical and see if there is a stronger option,” Roland soothed. “You are close to your heat, so this may be a natural elevation that we can control with a simple adjustment.”

“Yes.” Seto took a deep breath to calm himself. “Yes, of course. Thank you.”

He got through the rest of the day. At his regular time, they went home. The best part of any day for Seto was coming home, and finding his brother waiting.

“Hey, big bro!” The boy greeted him with a warm hug. “Anything cool happen?”

“By your definition?” Seto chuckled. “No. How was your day?”

“Boring. I tested out of English and Math this semester, so I have two free periods in a row now.”

“No one in their right mind would leave you unsupervised for that long. I’d better call the school.”

“Ha, ha. Well for your information, I also got voted class president, so I’m on the student council. So I have plenty to do.” He grinned sheepishly. “Well, I will, once we start doing stuff.”

“You didn’t tell me you were running for class president.”

“I, uh, kinda wasn’t. I went to the bathroom and they voted me in.”

“Timing is everything.”

“No kidding!”

“But this is a good thing. It gives you something personal to post on the corporate blog. And it gives you an opportunity to practice some management skills. This calls for a celebration. Chinese or Thai?”

“Hmm. How about Mexican?”

“Mexican it is.” Seto called the kitchen. “Mokuba was elected class president today. We are celebrating with Mexican cuisine. Let me know if dinner will be late.”

0