Chapter 20 – Expected Yet Unexpected Arrival
2k 21 70
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Wow, to think that I would actually be so bored that I wrote a new chap while it hasnt been 2 weeks yet ...

Anyways it seems that I won't be stopping uploads for a few weeks because of my injury but instead I will just release new chapters at a fairly slower rate than usual

So here's your new chapter, rejoice plebs!

Imperial Duke, Theodor von Blohm, Russiva Imperial Year 782 Month 4, Day 8, Blohm Main Residence (Berilian), Deutsche Empery

Inside an office surrounded by shelves on all sides, with no access to direct sunlight, was a man who was clearly in his forties placed on a chair with his arms on top of a desk, arranging continuously skimming through files.

Although it seemed like the man was merely flipping through papers to ease his boredom that certainly was not the case.

He was brushing along the pages of paper and bard-bind covers of records at an astonishing speed, not giving a second look to the pages he's passed.

But eventually after some time had passed, he put down the numerous records and reports, brushing his white-ish gray hair to the side so he could take a breather.

"Phew, that's a lot of stuff ... so much to do, so much to do ..."

The man was Theodor von Blohm, Duke of the Deustche Empery as well as Reichel's legal caretaker/guardian.

Ever since the approval of the mass production of the Armbrust and numerous other supply-related policies and guidelines, the Blohm Company being one of the top companies in the Deutsche Empery was forced to commit all its resources to ensure absolute secrecy in order to counter Francais intelligence units.

Not only that, but the Deutsche Empery was also conducting an information unit purge, which seeked to remove all foreign spies from its information system.

'About damn time ...'

Theodor was wondering why only conduct the purge now? When almost a whole year had passed since the war started against the Francais Republic? Were the Intelligence Department parhaps lacking in braincells at the time? Was that why they couldn't think of the movement before?

'And then this ...'

Theodor picked up a strange wooden contraption underneath his paper-stacked desk. It was his personal Armbrust.

Being the head of the company that would produce these 'innovative' weapons, it would only natural that Theodor would have one himself, a thoroughly personalized piece of clearly superior quality than the mass-produced model at his disposal.

Naturally, it also had an arrow locked in just in case something undesirable were to barge in his office.

As one of the wealthiest human beings in the Empery, and as one of its top arms providers and domestic suppliers. there was more than just enough reason for him to be on guard and prepared at all times.

Whether its from the Francais who want to weaken the Empery's economy or other companies willing to take his place in the food chain, it was his obligation to worry for his own safety.

Naturally, that meant safe-guarding his secrets as well, he had an entire squad of personal bodyguards just outside of his door, being level 6 on average as well as being capable of at least first-hand magic, they could handle most of the attempts on his life.

'Sigh ...'

Theodor thought about the strange contraption in his hand, with the single flick of a single finger, it could send an arrow flying at least just as fast as the lowest grading [Snipe] bow art.

He understood that the contraption was easier to use for killing than bows, but was it really that impressive for it to warrant an information purge and a massive order of 10,000 just from the first demonstration?

'Well either way ...'

It wasn't Theodor's business, he was a merchant first and foremost, money was his concern, as well as reason for living.

The affairs of the military couldn't concern him more.

If the Armbrust could provide him the the funds he wanted, then he had no issues shutting up and just focusing on manufacturing it. He would use everybody and everyone he could use at his disposal to gain more benefits.

Such was simply the way of the merchant.

'Speaking of personnel ...'

Theodor's mind drifted towards the girl who was the ingenious designer behind the Armbrust, Reichel Schwertspinne.

'That girl ...'

At first, he made fun of the girl with her ideas ... dismissing them as 'ridiculous and too fantasy-esque'.

After all who would believe in the crap she was saying?

'Iron birds that would fly faster than dragons in the wide sky, steel carriages that don't use horses and run smoother than wooden carriages, cold metal boats clearly more heavier than wooden battleships yet faster than wooden battleships, using lightning, solar power, wind, and water as a replacement for energy for mana ...'

The girl was full of ridiculous ideas, that's what he thought.

But even though the girl was saying such ridiculous things, why did his mind hesitate to throw them in the gutter?

It was like the girl knew what she was talking about, the girl sincerely believed that those things could be crafted into reality.

Her persuasiveness, as well as the seriousness and determination in her eyes made even Theodor's heart, which he thought had already gone dry on surprise, to palpatate once more.

However ...

If there was anything Theodor didn't like aabout the girl, it was her incomprehensible decision to join the army, and although he admits the girl has talent for swinging a blade and commanding troops on the field, he thought that Reichel would be more useful in aspects concerning real business.

*knock*

*knock*

Two knocks on the door signified that someone was waiting outside, and with great haste Theodor aimed the crossbow at the door just for precaution, one could never be too safe in a world filled with magic after all.

"Who is it?"

"It's a me, Mario!"

The appropriate reply for the passcode was heard, and Theodor relaxed his arm and put his personal crossbow down in relief.

'Not today it seems ...'

"Come in." Theodor allowed the entry of the messenger, as the code 'Mario' signified that his position was a messenger.

'Mario' for messenger, 'Luigi' for one of his main operatives, 'Peach' for an executive, 'Toad' for a hired blade, and 'Bowser' for special cases.

Theodor quite liked these codes, they were useful for making sure that you would know who was entering the room without actually needing to check.

'It seems I have to thank the girl once again ...' Theodor once again had to thank Reichel for coming up with something so ingenious and convenient.

"I am here to deliver urgent news!"

"Our esteemed guest is here!"

'Speak of the devil ... what great timing.' Theodor wonders how Reichel's timing was always impeccable, it was like the girl would show up whenever you'd think of her.

Which to Theodor was a little bit unnerving and convenient at the same time, but mostly convenient.

'Not to mention ...'

The girl's arrival was fast! Theodor expected for the girl to arrive at least 2 days from now or tomorrow at least!

'Bastian ... oh how I am very jealous that you've managed to raise such a good daughter ... is it the difference between parenting quality?' Theodor's mind drifted to his former friend, now deceased.

"Tell her to wait in the meeting room, I'll be coming down in a second."

Theodor owed a life debt to Bastian Schwertspinne, a debt he couldn't repay despite all the gold he had in his coffers.

That's why he had to make it up this time, to his daughter.

'Always pay your debts ...'

For that was the way of a merchant.


Theodor was currently in a staring contest against a young girl.

A young girl with facial features that would be indeed considered on the top tiers of human standards, paired along with her unique trademark of red eyes and black hair, as well as unnaturally pale skin.

" ..."

" ..."

Only silence ensued the both of them as they sat in chairs facing each other, as Reichel put her right leg atop her left leg and supported her head with an arm just on top of one of the armrests.

One would think from her posture that she was wearing an expression of boredom, however contrary to that what she had wasn't an expression that would look like she would fall asleep at any moment ...

Rather it was a scowl, a scowl that obviously made the girl look obviously annoyed and irritated.

"You're as expressionless as ever."

Theodor could only make a sarcastic comment on Reichel's facial expression, hoping that it would lighten the mood wafting through the silent atmosphere.

"I could say the same about you, it's not like you to look so expressionless yourself." Reichel threw back the comment in a snide tone.

This caused one of Theodor's eyebrows to twitch, because just like Reichel he had the same expression of mild annoyance on his face which was, just as Reichel said ... 'rare'.

"Why are you wearing an officer's uniform inside my house?"

"Because I don't have any other clothes."

"Why won't you get any new clothes?"

"Because I don't have any money to buy any new clothes with."

"And why don't you have any mone--"

Theodor stops his words midway, realizing that she had just fallen into the girl's trap.

Reichel smirked, as if making fun of Theodor. It was like she was asking him 'Have you lost your edge, fogey?'.

*cough*

*cough*

Theodor faked two coughs in an effort to change the topic.

"Anyways, do know that you are always welcome to stay here, should you be tired of the life as a soldier." Theodor emphasized 'tired' in a tone that was signalling her that her talent would be better used behind a desk. He also emphasized it in a way that implied that there would be no issue if she pulled out of the army immediately, as he would take care any and all legal issues regarding her forced dismissal.

All he had to do was make a few well-placed bribes there and there as well as pressure the army, and they would have no choice but to let her go. In fact, it didn't seem like the army wouldn't reach that point to try to take a hold of Reichel without Theodor's actions ...

'Seeing as how they don't know her true value yet ...' Theodor hoped that she would stop these shenanigans in a hopeful way.

"I suppose that I've already been prepared with the minimum quality of accomodations here, considering that it was you who dragged me from the front lines." Reichel said, as her light smirk turned into scowl within a fraction of a second yet again.

'Damn, she knows ...' Theodor was quite perplexed that Reichel knew that it was he who planned for her to be submitted to the Imperial Officer School ... yet he also knew that she would actually figure it out since he was the only authority apart from royalty who could possibly assign her to education without her consent.

It was only natural.

"My my, that's quite an exaggeration, as your caretaker it is only natural that I would worry about the safety of my bestfriend's daughter, after all what would he say to me in the afterlife ..."

The afterlife, an inconcrete concept, nobody could knew for sure if an afterlife even existed, although Theodor was willing to bet that it did just for the sake of self-enjoyment, no matter how inconcrete it was.

However Theodor knew something that was concrete ...

"... if I just let his beloved daughter die in a ditch?"

It was that he shouldn't let like someone as valuable as Reichel die so soon, because then that meant he couldn't pay his debt anymore.

Reichel's scowl deformed, and her poker-face had completely disappeared.

It was only for a split second, but Theodor saw a vein bulging Reichel's forehead. He clearly hit something he shouldn't have.

Reichel opened her eyes wide, Theodor obviously made her very mad as she stood up from her seat and then made a motion as if she was going to pull something from behind her ...

"Sister Reichel!"

Until a childish voice resounded just from the entrance of the meeting room.

"Anny!"

In a flash, Reichel's murderous atmosphere flooded with killing intent was shoved aside as she turned her gaze to the child running in her direction.

The child was Anny von Blohm, the heir to the title of Duchess in the Blohm household ...

--Also known as Theodor's only child.

*fwish!* Anny's little dress ruffled as Reichel picked her up, ruffling her gray-ish white hair that was all too similar to Theodor's own hair.

"Ahhhh, please stop ruffling my hair! I had to rush my appearance because Father didn't tell me you were coming!" Anny said, along with a pout as she tried to use her tiny arms to push away Reichel's pale hand.

The little girl was obviously flustered, seeing as how her work was immediately reduced to disheveled bits with minimal movements of a hand.

"Hoh? Your father didn't tell you I was coming? Even though it was he who called for me here?" Reichel asked Anny, while glancing at Theodor to remind him of how he screwed up by not telling the little kid.

The little girl nodded a few times while saying 'Un!', confirming Reichel's theory.

Theodor both clicked his tongue as well as breathed a sigh of relief internally, for all the things that would save him from destruction would be his own daughter, he felt a bit proud and a bit ashamed as a father at the same time.

"Sister Reichel I heard about your heroic deeds at No Man's Land! Your name is bustling everywhere!"

"Hmmm, you did now? can you tell me some of the things that you heard i've been doing there then?" Reichel teased, and as Theodor tried to intervene with a cough, Reichel signalled him to stop trying by giving him the look.

"I've heard that you've defeated those bad untermensch to the ground single-handedly! And as a reward you've been promoted four ranks!" Anny said with a beaming smile, as her pupils almost looked like stars twinkling in sheer admiration.

A brief silence ensued, while Reichel was plunged deep into thought.

Most likely, she was thinking about how a kid got hold of such detailed information when the incident at Urganschoft was supposed to have been put under the carpet (basically yeeted from existence).

Theodor could basically guess what Reichel was thinking right now, and Reichel turning her look towards Theodor again only confirmed that what Theodor was thinking about what Reichel was thinking was indeed correct.

'You told her didn't you?'

Secret information that only the higher ups of the Empery would know of, it was either Francais spies of people in the higher ups themselves. And since a Francais spy wouldn't necessarily go out of their way to just give out information they've just stolen for blood to some aristocratic brat in the enemy's side, it was only natural that all the evidence went back to Theodor.

And to this, Theodor only shrugged.

"Sister Reichel, help me with studying! You rarely help me anymore after you've decided to work as a soldier!"

"Sigh, you're having trouble with studying again?"

"Ja, and I need Sister Reichel to help me with it!"

Reichel couldn't say no, the girl had a point and she was eager to know if there were other rumours going on in the Empery that were circulating as well, she was just too curious for more information after hearing Anny give out a fairly detailed of her own deeds in the Eastern Front.

"Go run along now, I'll be joining you right after this discussion with your father."

"You promise?"

"Yes yes, I'll be right there."

"Okay Sister!"

As the small back of Anny disappeared after she left the room, Reichel once again turned her gaze towards Theodor, who had now adopted the same pose she originally had before they started to talk while sitting on the chairs.

"Well, thanks to unforseen circumstances it seems like we can't continue our discussion anymore."

"It seems so, how unfortunate ..." Theodor sighed.

And to answer Theodor's sigh, Reichel took a small piece of paper out of her chest pocket and handed it over to Theodor, to which Theodor accepted with a look of confusion on his face.

"But I will leave this with you however, I expect it won't be hard to fulfill all these requests."

'Ah, so that's what it is ...' Theodor quickly understood, as he found out the small piece of paper was actually a large piece folded and compacted to look like a tiny note.

It was a long list of items, ranging from rare herbs to even rare metals. There were also even a few descriptions of assistants that she wanted to procure.

'Is she perhaps trying to start her own business?' Theodor would wonder, but then decided that wasn't the case.

If Reichel wanted to start her own business she would have asked for an empty store specifically, not a laboratory just outside his residence.

'Not to mention ...'

Most of the herbs are medicinal, yet some of them are quite 'lethal' in some aspects.

It made Theodor curious, he was wondering what Reichel would use them for. Normally he would ask what she would do with such ingredients but since she wasn't technically an employee of his company or a vassal he couldn't make Reichel tell him.

Not to mention that he was his caretaker, and it was on the 'waiver' that he had to provide Reichel of her 'wants' as well.

'Phew, Bastian ... your daughter is a real piece of work.' Theodor admired how Reichel forced loopholes into everything, using anything to her advantage.

Theodor once again looked at Reichel, her unnaturally pale and unblemished skin combined with her beautiful eyes and smooth hair ... thinking that she would indeed make a great merchant.

'If she was a merchant she would probably surpass me very easily ... it's really just too bad she had to be a soldier.' Theodor wallowed at the waste of the talent Reichel had, he believed that she would have been better off making trade deals and even innovating.

*fruk* Reichel stood up from the comfortable chair and turned around while picking her things, getting ready to leave.

'But at the moment ...'

Theodor admired the young lady for her abilities, she had much talent and was a very very very fast learner.

But from his perspective, there was just one thing she lacked ... something essential.

And that was naturally experience.

No matter how much talent Reichel had jam-packed inside of her, no matter how very quickly she can learn ... it was all no use without experience.

'... you're still too naive.'

"Oh, and aside that there's something else I need." Reichel said suddenly just as she was about to leave.

She reached out with her other hand, as if like she was asking for something else to be given to her.

"My money."

...

...

...

"Tch."

Btw, just to clarify although it looks like this will be a school arc, its not the school arc that some of you are expecting (No this wont turn to be something like some shit straight from those generic otome villainess novels) instead the school is for military personnel (as if you didn't know that from the title of the school already) and although it seems like this is going to be a school arc, im still deciding on where to put the actual focus of the arc before Rei goes to war again.

And since im still deciding what the focus of the arc should be, ive thought of 3 potential directions for this to follow but i have trouble choosing which one to go with, so it would be much appreciated if you could check an option on the poll below as to contribute to the novel! 

Join my discord! https://discord.gg/9vFZC9m

 

What should be the focus of Rei this arc?
  • Rei makes a small legitimate business to make money Votes: 12 4.4%
  • Rei takes the gangster route and takes control of the underworld slums Votes: 96 35.0%
  • Rei just eats everyone Votes: 166 60.6%
Total voters: 274
70