Chapter 226: Hephaestus
6.7k 12 227
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Astraea strolled through the streets of Orario. A beastman negotiated with the human merchant; an old lady sold fruits with an amiable smile; a group of young adventurers boasting about their achievements in the dungeon. Astraea also found the Sword Princess of Loki Familia munching on the famous snack Jagamarukun by a stall.

Orario was at peace.

Astraea sighed. How long will this last? She had no idea. But one thing she knew was the impending crisis of the Evilus.

“Astraea.”

A dreamy voice chimed in her eyes. Astraea flinched and whirled around. The assailant was a goddess. Her opposite in a sense, as Astraea was the Virgin Goddess of Justice and Freya being a Goddess of Sex. The two rarely talked, only chatting on rare occasions such as Denatus.

“Don’t scare me like that, Freya.”

Freya squinted with a mischievous smile. Even as a goddess, Astraea felt bewitched by her simple smile. Then, she realized something.

‘Why is her aura similar to Asahi? Is Asahi a god of beauty… or they are together?’

Astraea shook her head at the thought. Not possible. A super possessive goddess such as Freya wouldn’t let her lover join any Familia other than her own.

“You were asking for it. Don’t daydream in the middle of a street, okay?”

“I was thinking something.”

“What could it be?”

“The Evilus…”

Freya frowned. “They are certainly troublesome idiots.”

Astraea gave a nod in affirmation. Her life would be so easy if they weren’t so stuck up on causing destruction.

“But we can take care of them like we did last time,” Freya said. “Putting their matter aside, I still haven’t congratulated you on getting the most dashing adventurer in your Familia.”

Astraea felt a strange sense of envy in Freya’s voice. But she didn’t question anything and smiled. “Thanks. Aside from his obsession with women, he is kind and a bit too generous.”

“Don’t let your guard down around him. We defeat Evilus and then a few months later, a talented adventurer arrives in Orario with a group of strong and beautiful women. It’s too much of a coincidence.”

Asahi being a spy… Astraea rejected the notion. He wasn’t even from this world. She doubted anyone in Orario could oppose him and his women. Loki had vividly described how Asahi’s women slaughtered the Monster Rex as if it was a mob monster. They were level 6 at the very least. And Asahi, being their man and a demigod, had to be dozens of times stronger than that.

Scheming like this went opposite to the laid-back persona he showed.

“You don’t have to worry about him. He won’t betray me.”

“Oh,” Freya raised a brow, her silver eyes glowing. “I see. I see. That’s how it is… I apologize if I sounded rude.”

“No need. You were looking out for me.”

“How about you, me, Loki, and Hephaestus have some drinks tonight at my place? A meeting between the top Familias to discuss each other and Orario’s problems.”

Other than paying a visit to Hephaestus in the Babel and updating statuses after her Familia returned from the dungeon, Astraea’s schedule was blank.

“Okay.”

“Then, I will send someone to invite Loki and Hephaestus.”

“You don’t have to. I was going to her anyway.”

“Well, what a fine timing,” Freya said and winked. “Don’t daydream like that again.”

With a teasing remark, Freya went on her way to Loki Familia.

Astraea continued her long journey to the Northwest District, taking a few breaks in between to rest. Her mortal body couldn’t match with even level 1 adventurers. Well, she could’ve taken a caravan but she was in the mood to enjoy the fresh air and observe the city. Her children patrolled the entire city every day. She wanted to do something in their absence.

After three whole hours, she arrived at her destination.

Hephaestus Familia had branches across the city and several stores in Babel, but their main shop was here in Northwest district, where Hephaestus managed her Familia’s business. 

The front door of the store was between the showcase of different exotic weapons. Every passing adventurer couldn't help but glance at the top-class weapons. Some even stopped by to admire them.

A shiny white dagger stole her eyes. It was stabbed into a treasure box, reflecting the light of magic lamps surrounding it.

‘This will look good in Asahi’s hands. The question is, will he like a new dagger?’

Astraea held her chin as her mind wandered. He already had two magic daggers, why would he need a new one? But, she had to give him something after he agreed on making that heavenly pillow.

The wooden door creaked. Astraea put an end to her thought for now and looked at the redhead goddess. Hephaestus crossed her arms, an amused smile playing on her lips.

“My smiths are freaking out. ‘A goddess is eying our weapons like a thief.’ Didn’t know it was our Lady of Justice. So, are you planning on raiding the store tonight?”

Astraea glanced at the people gathered around, and heat rushed to her cheeks. She was daydreaming again in front of a weapon shop.

“M-My bad, Hephaestus. Can we talk inside?”

Hephaestus swung the door and gestured to her. “Feel free.”

She led Astraea to the third floor. 

The room was neatly designed with white marble. A shelf showcased short hammers of varying color; a crystal case with different metals; and a desk piled up with stacks of papers and a feather pen.

Astraea sat on the chair before the desk while Hephaestus sat behind the desk. Hephaestus crossed her legs and gestured.

“So, what’s the matter?”

Astraea pulled out a slip from the mini bag on her waist and passed it to Hephaestus. “Do you have wooden weapons?”

“The ones used for sparring?”

“Yeah, them. Kaguya mentioned the warriors in the Far East use them to train. They are safer when used in spars.”

“I have. But you could have sent someone else or gone to Tsubaki. She manages all your Familia’s smithing and her home is close to your Stardust Garden… This store is two districts away...”

Astraea shook her head. “My children are currently on the expedition. I didn’t know about Tsubaki's home, so I came here. It delights me to see the city returning to its previous glory.”

“You never change, do you? Always so pure and untainted,” Hephaestus muttered and touched her eyepatch. The charred skin under the patch stung Astraea’s heart. The deformity had essentially crippled Hephaestus’s eye. Most if not everyone screamed at the sight of her wound. It was unjust to treat a kind goddess for a wound like this.

“Hephaestus,” Astraea said, voice filled with concern. “I’m sorry. I couldn’t do anything.”

Astraea had tried to heal the wound in Heaven with her divinity of purity. It could bring a dying person back to life, yet her Arcanum didn’t affect Hephaestus.

Hephaestus released a light chuckle. “Sheesh, what are you apologizing for? You tried your best. A birth defect can’t be fixed so easily. I’m happy that you tried.”

“But—”

“Now, friend. I know a busy goddess like you won’t be admiring a weapon. What happened? Tell me everything.”

Astraea respected Hephaestus’s decision to avoid this topic. She placed her arms on her lap. “Freya invited us to a meeting at her place. Loki will also be there.”

“Her again.” Hephaestus picked up her feather pen and a document. “Tell me the full story.”

Favorite if you liked it!

227