Ch 5: Escape
214 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

How should I escape?

Zero was currently being taken to a solitary confinement room by the soldiers of Zaphira. Under the command of Neris, he has been following them for quite a while under a very long staircase that led downwards.

At this rate, they'll take me to a deep confinement room. It'll be harder to escape that way.

Uncertainty crossed his eyes. He didn't want to stay here too long. In the first place he only allowed himself to be captured so that he could use it to his advantage and sneak out of the cell to steal some documents from the leading officer's room. But seeing as how Neris was much stronger than anticipated, he would have to change plans.

The soldiers escorting Zero were also extremely cautious as they made the chains harder to take off and plus there were at least 6 people guarding him front and back.

How troublesome. Should I use "that"?

Zero was weighing his options. Seeing as how the soldiers didn't use anti-magic chains on him, he could easily break them and cast magic to escape, but he had a feeling that the man he was fighting earlier could probably tell when he escapes. He didn't like it the look of the man that was watching him when he was being tortured.

The group descends down the long staircase, it could probably be nearly 4 floors deep in the ground already. Zero could feel his impatience growing.

Regardless, of whether or not that man knows I escape. It is much better than staying here and doing nothing.

Zero observes the soldiers who guard him. None of the soldiers seem to have a weak point. They were all taking their jobs seriously and was extremely cautious of every movement that Zero made.

They don't have any openings. They're well-trained in comparison to the soldiers of the Empire... They're also extremely cautious of me.

What Zero didn't know was that the soldiers were extremely scared of Zero. After all a man who could survive torture and not flinch or scream from the Commander was much more frightening than any other enemy commander who screams and begs for their life.

Well, either way I need to leave and report to the King about this Commander.

Zero sighs.

"What are you sighing at?" Yelled one soldier.

"..."

The soldier becomes angry at Zero ignoring his question, but has no choice but to suck it up as he didn't want to cause any problems. He remains quiet as the group descends the stairs.

Zero sensing the groups tense atmosphere, smiles to himself.

"Heel..." he whispers.

Suddenly, the soldiers all crumble to the ground. An invisible force pressures them onto the ground immobilizing them.

"What!!"

"Magic!"

Zero's eyes glow a sparkling red as he exerts his will.

"Break."

The chains on his arm break to pieces.

"Acceleration."

A blue aura engulfs Zero's body. Taking one step with his right foot, he suddenly disappears up the staircase in front of the kneeling soldiers.

"Ku... Sound the alarm! The Prisoner has escaped! Tell them he has magic! NOW!" yelled one soldier.

A sounding alarm erupts as Zero accelerates up the stairs with his eyes still glowing red. 

That was much faster than expected. I need to get out of here fast.

Zero runs without stopping. Though he wanted to steal the documents of Zaphira's plans he couldn't now that he knows they have a competent Commander, one that could be possibly stronger than him. 

The alarms blare across the base as millions of soldiers pour out from the barracks and buildings. They all hold arms as they search the facilities for the escaping Admiral.

Neris watches below from the 3rd floor of his building as his soldiers scramble around the facility. His eyes holding no hint of surprise.

It was to be expected. It wouldn't be a fun chase if the mouse wasn't clever.

Neris narrows his eyes pleased by the chaos happening in his own base of operations.

"Tell them to lockdown the exits. I will personally go get our prisoner."

The soldier waiting by his table nods and proceeds to pull out a communicating device to contact the forces in the facility. Neris smiles anticipating the chase with his precious mouse.

"I hope you'll keep me amused, Admiral Zero."


I need to hurry. Shadow!

A darkness engulfs Zero as he travels through the shadows of objects. It was a power that allowed him to stealthily blend into his surroundings making detecting him harder. He easily dodges the soldiers who couldn't find him due to his magic. He knew that if anyone could detect him it would have to be someone with similar magic power or stronger than his.

Nearing the exit, Zero could see that the soldiers had already closed the entrance.

This fast?

Zero was surprised by the efficiency of the soldiers of Zaphira. However, even with the entrance close he could still scale the walls and escape. Checking the wall for any cracks, Zero prepares to scale the wall under the cover of the shadows when a sword is flung straight into the wall right next to his face.

Zero turns his head expecting to see the exact face he expected. It was the enemy Commander.

"Thinking of escaping? With those injuries of yours?" asked Neris.

Zero's invisibility wears away with the bleeding of his cut. His back was aching as he thought of the swings of the whip that Neris had inflicted on his back. He really didn't like this man. 

"Heh..." Zero smirked.

Neris noticing his smile was perplexed as it was the first time he had seen the man before him change expressions from his usual stale expression. The smile was enticing to Neris. He didn't quite understand why, but that slight smile Zero tossed him was captivating. 

"Its too bad, you won't be able to catch me, Commander."

"What do you mean?"

Neris questioned Zero.

"It means I won't give you the opportunity to. FLASH!"

"Wha-!"

A blinding light engulfs the area as Neris closes his eyes to the sudden bright light. By the time the light subsides, Zero had already escaped. Neris walks towards the spot where he had thrown his sword onto the wall. He quickly removes the sword seeing the blood stuck to the blade he was slightly disappointed.

A soldier watching his Commander pull out the sword, walks to him.

"Do you want us to send our troops after him?"

"No need."

Neris waves his hand. He was certain the soldiers wouldn't be able to capture him.

The man was a sly one and extremely slippery. He was unfeeling and had a sense of purpose. Neris liked it, the way that man glared at him and remained expressionless. He liked how the man was smart and didn't choose to fight him instead opting to escape. He had a set goal and other things didn't deviate him from his path. A smart Admiral. He now knew why that man became an Admiral. It was because he was decisive and had magic equal to his own. 

Neris smiles to himself. 

I like it. I'll make him mine.

Neris decisively told himself.

Unknown to Neris, the surrounding soldiers shriveled back in fear as their Commander who was so cold was actually smiling. They prayed for the man, who escaped. Once their Commander set his sights on something nothing would stand in his way. 

 

 

4