Ch 6: Bird
288 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After having scaled the wall, he could tell that he was now located in a dense forest. The forest was much denser than he expected as he walked along the dirt. It wasn't the territory he once was in. Where was he?

Shaking his head to of any negative thoughts, Zero quickly casts his magic to support his traveling path.

Zero ran with his magic, his eyes glowed red as the magic surrounded him. He couldn't let his guard down. He needed to get as far away as he can from the enemy base. 

After a few miles with his magic, his eyes turned back into their original emerald green. He couldn't sense anyone coming after him. Could they have given up the chase? Zero didn't think it was likely based on the way the Commander looked at him. Those weren't the eyes of someone that would give up this easily.

Zero shook his head not wanting to think to much about it at the moment. He needed to return to his base quickly.

Casting his magic in the surroundings, nothing seemed to come back to him signifying how close he was to his original location. Could he have been taken further into enemy territory? It wasn't a pleasant thought. If he was too far out of the range of his base it will be harder for him to quickly reach there if he didn't know his way.

"This place doesn't seem close to the original base. Could they have taken me further into the territory?"

It wasn't unthinkable for the enemy Kingdom of Zaphira to do so, after all, he was an enemy Admiral. The highest in command, so it would be obvious that the enemy Kingdom wanted to keep him hostage.

Not like I'm particularly loyal to the Empire either.

Zero mocked himself as he walked along the trees. Now that the adrenaline rush had died down, he could feel his back stinging from the injuries received from the torture that was inflicted on him. 

That bastard didn't hold back.

Zero rubbed his shoulders. They were stinging. He didn't want to stop walking but with the injuries on his back and face... He was a bit too bruised up to continue walking. He needed to find shelter and food before the night came. He was barely able to escape with the sun still up despite having been taken prisoner the night before. 

For now, should I send a bird out?

Zero gathers magic in his hand his eyes glowing red in doing so. The magic forms and shapes into a bird of blue light. He whispers to the bird a message and sends the bird on its way. The bird flies towards the west as if knowing its destination. Zero takes note of the direction in which the bird flies.

If the bird is flying west then more than likely the direction I need to head is the west if I want to get back to the base. Though... Do I even want to return there?

Zero was questioning himself. He needed to return to the Empire's base on the border of Luxia and Zaphira, but at the same time he didn't want to return. It wasn't like he was completely loyal to the Empire either. The only reason he even helps the Empire is due to the seal on his thigh.

"If the seal didn't exist. I would be free as a bird." 

Zero frowns mocking himself and his terrible luck.

If only that time when he met the King, he hadn't offered his help. He was a fool.

To believe in a human being so easily I really shouldn't have done that back then. Otherwise, I wouldn't be forced to work for them like a dog on a chain everyday. Even worse suffering injuries like these wounds just because of the seal! If it wasn't for the fact that the seal prevented me from betraying the Empire, I would've just told every single secret they had, so I could watch that wretched Empire burn to the ground.

Zero's anger begins to flare as he thinks about how he came to such a situation. However, he knew it was hopeless at the moment to be angry at something that happened so long ago. Unless he could dispell the seal put on him that chained him like a collar, he wouldn't be able to escape the Empire's influence.

"Well, at least, I can have some quiet in this forest for the time being."

Zero climbs up a tree and leans his head to rest as he watches the sun beginning to set.

"It doesn't look like I will be able to get out here anytime soon. I should get some rest."

Zero closes his eyes as the sun's beams slowly turn a shade of purple.


The blue light of a bird flaps its wings. The bird heads west and continues flying. It passes the base where Zero had escaped.

A bolt of red flashes near the bird. However, the bird was quite agile and quickly escapes continuing to head west.

"Tch…"

Neris clicks his tongue annoyed that the bird wasn't shot down.

"A bright blue bird? It must be the mouse."

Neris watches as the bird gets smaller and smaller into the distance from his office window. Knowing full well that the mouse, Zero, hadn't escaped fully yet.

 

5