Chapter 3: No Pain *Sniffle* No Gain
259 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Here I lay. Back at my worn-out castle.

Getting my injuries treated by one of my neighboring aunties and her daughter.

Seems like I’ve become a training dummy for the daughter’s education.

I’m pretty sure she will get more experience soon enough… actually, hopefully not.

 

“And that’s how you disinfect a wound with lacking materials.” Says aunty with a teaching tone.

How did such a capable person end up at the slums?

“Yes, mother. Do we now bandage him?” Asked the daughter while picking up the bandages.

“Not yet. First we put some of my ointment on the wounds. We need to keep the wounds from drying up.”

 

Great as always. Maybe I could ask her help and pay her at the same time.

“Thank you for fixing me up all the time. Since you know your stuff so well, can you buy me the necessary first aid materials?” I asked the aunty while the daughter was turning me into a mummy.

“Well, sure. What’s this about suddenly?”

“I decided to do some training and as you can figure it out, I will need them.”

 

“… Not this again. Remember your arms?” She said tiredly.

“And my legs, back and what not.” I said with an equally tired tone.

“Why are you so weak, Little Don?” Asked the daughter innocently.

“I don’t know but I heard that I got some of the best and the worst parts from my ancestors.” I answered with mixed feelings.

 

“Do I even dare to ask what those are?” Asked aunty with a raised eyebrow.

“Well obviously it’s my fabulous hair and a body that doesn’t gain weight no matter how much I eat.” I answered with a false voice of superiority.

“… And what about the worst part?” Aunty asked slightly puzzled.

“My body…” I sighed. “I can’t get muscles, bones are weak and light and I get sick easily. But as a bonus I’m highly aware how my body works and I’m able to do preventive measures if I’m about to get sick or I feel something harmful for me in the air.”

 

“Sounds rough.” She said with a sad face.

“Back home it was like I was living in hell. Death was a better opinion since no doctor can cure what you were born with.” I said with melancholy.

“So that’s why you ran away.” She said with a face of enlightenment.

“Something like that.” I said without telling the truth.

 

“I’m done!”  The daughter chimed in happily.

“Great. Now then, Little Don. The tailor’s wife wanted you to try out something.” Aunty picked up a bag that was left on the side.

“I’m not really in any condition to become a dress up doll.” I said while trying to emphasize my current situation.

“Oh, don’t you worry. It’s a simple poncho that you can wear while you sleep.” She took out the poncho and with enthusiasm started putting it on me.

 

It is a brown hooded poncho which matches well with my hair color.

The outer layer if very fluffy and it is quite smooth from the inside.

“It is very excellent…” I said while impressed.

“HOW CUTE!” “Fufu, my, how adorable.” Exclaimed the mother daughter duo with quite the sparkle in their eyes.

“But I have a very big problem about the design…” I said while trying to glance at the dog ears on the hood and showing my hands that are covered in paw gloves.

 

“Fufu, are you not happy with the lovely ears and gloves?” Aunty said teasingly.

“They are very, very cute!” Squealed the daughter.

“Tell the tailor’s wife that I’d like to have some modifications done to my hood. Tell her that I prefer bunny ears.” I answered in all seriousness.

“… My, you have excellent taste, Little Don.” Aunty said in awe.

“I will tell her first thing in the morning.”

 

“Thank you. Now can you get your daughter off me before all the bandages loosen because of her petting?” I said with a pout.

“Fufu, it can’t be helped. Rest well, Little Don.” She said while putting me in bed and picking up her protesting daughter.

“Oh, and before I forget. See that small pouch on the table? There’s the money I got today. Use it to buy the first aid items. You can keep the change since you always help me fixing me up.”

“Ah, yes. I completely forgot about that after seeing such a lovely sight. We will be back tomorrow. Sleep well, Little Don.”

 

And so… I’m finally alone. And it doesn’t hurt that much anymore.

Maybe now I can focus. I had plenty of time to think and now is the time to test my ideas.

Let’s start again with flying. If I’ve done it once, then I can do it again.

Fly. Fly. Fly. Fly…

 

FLY… …And there it is… I can feel my back leaving the bed.

Let’s try opening my eyes… all good so far.

It seems that I’m still only just a bit off the ground.

Let’s see how lo- *thump* “AARGH!”

“Urgh! Damn it!” I lost focus and dropped back on the bed.

 

I can’t test flying if the pain is going to get in the way all the time.

I guess I should test about using my willpower to affect my body.

Armament Haki creates an armor to enhance your defense and offence.

So if I try to enhance my recovery rate, I should heal much faster.

How should I focus on this? I have only succeeded with flying and moving fast.

 

… Moving fast? Focus my will on my body to work faster?

Here goes nothing. Faster. Faster. FASTER.

“AAAAAA-!!!!“ *Muffled blood curdling screaming*

 

“Uuuuuuuu-“ *crying*

 

A small eternity later I finally calmed down.

I had to bite down on my blanket to grit through the pain. *Sniffle*

It seems that my whole body suddenly working more than two times faster isn’t something that should ever happen.

Even if I lost focus immediately the aftereffects were hellish.

Thank god, I lost consciousness at one point.

 

I think I need to consult a proper doctor about how a body works.

Here in Kano, I’m not able to get that many books unlike back home. I need to ask the experts myself.

Back home, they called me a genius… but I’m just a bit smarter.

At least I’m smart enough to know that I’m definitely not a genius.

For now, I’ll sleep my pain away before I accidentally kill myself.

 

-

 

Here I am. Still in bed. But this time with a brown rabbit poncho.

Damn that tailor’s wife works fast.

I gave my old poncho to the doctor aunty’s daughter.

She was happy, but since she is younger than me, she has to grow up a bit to fit it. Won’t take that long, to be honest.

 

I’ve been bed ridden for the past few days and my flight training isn’t really helping my recovery.

I’ve tried asking doctor aunty about how to speed up recovery, but she only knows how to make medicine and not that much about how the body works.

Seems like I really need to give up on that for now and after recovering take the bridge to the capital.

There should be plenty of capable individuals to ask from.

 

Only positive thing about being in pain is that it helps me train my focus.

I’m starting to be able to focus properly even when I’m in pain.

I have noticed that my focus breaks less often and when the medicine kicks in I can feel my ability to concentrate rise sharply.

I think that I’m more attuned towards Observation Haki than Armament, considering my obviously fragile body.

Haki training... I think I’ll put that off for now.

 

I still don’t know if willpower is limited and how it would affect me if I used it all up.

I keep losing focus and I need to take so many brakes that I’ve yet to test my limits.

Until I fully recover, I’ll just train my focus and after that I will see the limits of my willpower.

Actually… can I use my will to control other things? That would help me train without hurting myself.

 

Let’s test this out…

What should I try to lift? … Damn there is almost nothing in this room that I could use.

For the first time ever, I’ve started regretting keeping my bedroom so empty.

I guess I’ll use one of my pillows.

 

I push one of my pillows to an arm’s length away and start focusing.

… FLY…

I can feel my willpower trying something but nothing happens…

Is it too far away? I put the pillow a bit closer.

…FLY…

 

I try putting the pillow in many different spots but I came up with nothing.

No matter the distance it just doesn’t work.

It seems I can’t use it on something else.

I have to give up on this for now.

I started playing with the bunny ears to cure my sour mood.

 

Hello World!

Dravde here! I'm glad I took a break.I got some inspiration while resting.

If I just kept writing I would've missed the whole poncho thing. And I would've been very sad about that. And before you start asking about "Why not add it later?" the thing is, he will use it only at home. Like a pajama. And I currently have no indoor scenes planned in his home.

From my research Kano is an Island Coutry with Chinese architecture and from the characters I've seen, people are lightly dressed. That is why I'm presuming it to be an island with warm climate most of the year. So going around with a warm hooded poncho is a no go to our frail main character.

I have some real life stuff to do so we shall see when the next update comes. I'll try to write bits and pieces when I have time. And if inspiration hits me again, then I guess I'll be loosing sleep again.

Thanks for reading! Have a good day! Have fun! Happy readings!

 

What kind of animal poncho/hoodie would wear?
  • Bunny Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Dog/Wolf Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Cat Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Chocobo Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Moogle Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Not Mentioned Votes: 1 4.2%
Total voters: 24
7