Chapter 8: Past Memories and Future Plans
211 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Year 1518: The Great Pirate Era Year 18

WEST BLUE

In The Sky

 

This stupid war. Even I’m rolled up into it.

Well… I did sign up to this myself…

But I still can’t help but to complain about the stupidity of the whole thing.

Luckily my job is the least dangerous of the sort.

 

Now I just need to get back to Kano and give a report to Sai.

I should go back above the clouds before someone notices me.

It's not the best idea to fly in the open during covert operations.

I still can’t fly properly but I’m able to travel to most islands in the West Blue without feeling like I’m dying.

 

I’ve become quite famous around the West Blue.

I’ve bought myself a hooded cloak to keep my identity in check while doing this kind of work.

Doing intelligence gathering while being famous isn’t really the best idea.

 

I’ve actually awakened my Observation Haki, thanks to all my training, flying and everything else.

Well it makes sense, since Haki is mostly dependent on the strength of Will.

Compared to Armament Haki that also needs a good physical body paired with a strong Will, it was much easier for me to learn Observation Haki that only needs the senses and Will.

 

And best thing about Haki?

It barely consumes any willpower!

I can still use almost all of my willpower to do my usual stunts.

No need to cut on my flight time if I need to use Haki.

 

Even though I’ve awakened my Observation Haki, it is still in its early stages.

I can only use it to feel the presence of living beings near me.

The range isn’t that great right now but I’m getting better at it.

From what I remember from my family, there are few ways to train Observation Haki.

 

After unlocking Observation Haki, all my senses have been enhanced quite a bit.

Basic Observation Haki training is to keep enhancing normal senses.

With this type of training you will be able to acquire far sight, long distance hearing and such.

Good thing you can turn this type off. I’d would be horrible to get used to living with enhanced senses.

 

There are also many unique ways to specialize in Observation Haki.

Presence Sensing allows you to feel the presence of others without actually seeing them, even if they are trying to hide.

From my point of view, I can feel a certain aura on living beings and the image is kind of blurry.

I’ve heard that if you get strong enough, you can even see the shape of the target from the aura.

 

Strength Sensing will allow you to judge a nearby creature’s strength.

Instead of seeing anything, the user will feel the strength of a creature in relation to himself or someone else.

I’d like to figure this out so that I could combine it with Presence Sensing and avoid any trouble.

I’m still not a fan of getting injured and I’m quite weak. Even if I can heal myself, as long as I have energy.

 

Emotion Sensing allows the user to sense and feel the emotions of others.

This would be a great lie detector skill, but I’m not sure how to train this.

My family was more combat oriented so there are not many records about this.

I kind of feel like this would lead me to go mad if I started feeling other people’s emotions all of a sudden.

 

Intent Sensing is one of the most used type of Observation Haki.

It allows the user to feel an attack coming or lets you feel if someone wants to attack you.

I think it is kind of similar to Emotion Sensing, because instead of emotion the user feels where the intent is directed at.

Heard that it’s useless against attacks that aren’t directed at you.

 

Back home, there was a legend about a hunter who had trained his Observation Haki to the very limit.

He obtained the ability to see few seconds into the future.

With that ability he hunted numerous monsters and even fought with the great Elder Beasts.

Ever since then the goal of my kinsmen has been to become the greatest hunters and create a legend of their own.

 

They had so much expectations for me, only because I was a bit smarter.

But my body couldn’t handle to cold. The freezing cold of a winter island was torturing me every second.

All my nutrients went to keeping my body alive. I never grew stronger like the rest of the kids.

All I could do was to stay home and read the books.

 

I was born and raised with the pride of beast hunter.

And that pride also became my downfall.

I couldn’t stand it. I knew my body better than others.

I knew that I would never live up to their expectations.

 

And so…

I ran away…

Tried to die on the sea.

So many times, I had tried to kill myself.

 

When I was eaten by a Sea King. I thought that finally my end would come.

But somehow, I was fished out of the sea by the old folks of Kano Country.

What happened to the Sea King or how I ended up all the way to West Blue.

I still have no idea.

 

But no matter. It’s all in the past.

I don’t need to suffer anymore.

I’m having a great time!

I can finally feel alive!

 

If I ever get back to the New World, maybe I’ll go check back home.

… Actually… I’m still quite weak.

I may not die to the cold anymore, but the beasts will rip me to shreds in a flash.

And lets not forget about my family… maybe they will kill me first…

 

Yeaa… If I happen to be in the neighborhood, then maybe.

But I’m not going to actively look for a way back home.

Maybe retiring to Paradise isn’t that bad of an idea…

Actually, maybe even one of the Blues. Heard that East Blue would be quite the nice place for me.

 

-

 

“Yo, Monkey Face!”

“Uwaah! Dravde, you bastard! When did you get here!?”

“Oh? About an hour ago? Needed to eat to get my stamina back, so that I could even deal with you.”

“Why are you getting physically tired and not mentally, when you are dealing with me?!!” Sai pounces at me, fists ready to beat me down.

 

“Says the idiot who is already attacking me and trying to punch my face in.” I dodge by boosting myself to the ceiling and look down on Sai.

“So? Where is the smarter one? I need him to hold you down.”

“Boo? He is probably slacking again! He should train more!”

“Hehe. As I said. The Smarter One.”

 

“Well anyways, I’ll report you what I found.” I throw a few things to Sai.

“I think some of those might be useful in regard to this war situation.”

“After this let’s call Boo over. I’ve a favor to ask you guys.”

I started reporting on what I’ve seen during my travels in West Blue.

 

-

 

“So, why did you gather us here for?” Sai asks.

“What was this favor talk about, that bro mentioned?” Boo added.

“Well you see, I’m planning on going to the Grand Line.” I casually dropped the bomb.

“”…”” Absolute silence… funny.

 

“Was that a joke?” Sai asked in while his face is blank.

“Nope.” I quickly reply. “And this is related to that favor.”

“Are you finally joini-“ “HELL NO!” I quickly deny the hopeful looking Sai, like usually.

“I need a ship and I want you guys to go and buy me one from the Grand Line. Naturally, I will pay for it.”

 

“What is wrong with getting a ship from here?” Boo asked in puzzlement.

“Do you think there are any small ships here that would survive the Grand Line?”

“Also, there are no shipwrights here that could make small durable ships. They all specialize in your warships.”

“And I want my ship built in the way I like it. Not a mass-produced model.”

 

“So, basically you want us to go to Water 7 to buy you a ship?” Boo clarified.

“Yeah. You were talking about going to the Grand Line again, so you might as well do me a favor on the way.”

“Well, fine… But what kind of a ship do you even want if it needs to be custom made?” Wondered Sai.

 

“I want a small ship that can survive the Grand Line and only needs to be operated by one person.”

“It should have room for two people and more space for cargo. I’m going alone, after all.”

“It should be more focused on speed and survivability than offensive power.”

“I don’t care what kind of a madman makes my ship as long as it is within my specifics.”

 

Who knew that my words would became a premonition of what’s to come.

 

Hello World!

How did I, Dravde, end up here so soon? Well to be honest... I'm quite suprised myself.

I was prepared for taking a forever to write a chapter since I had no idea what to write. Then I got a small idea and started writing about it. Then I just kept writing and writing... and then BAM! 7 hours went by. The date has already changed. My head hurts. I want to sleep. I even derailed from what I was originally wanting to write in the chapter. Well this one is better so I don't mind. Sorry about all the Haki stuff.

Let us hope that the next chapter oozes out as well as this one did. I'm going to feel like shit tomorrow... I mean today... OOF.... Already feeling it...

This message has been brought to you by Dravde on his way to Sleepy Time Junction.

Happy readings and a good nightzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

 

6