Chapter 39: The end of the party
1.6k 12 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   To get a good view of the party without going inside ourselves, we deploy the spider drones. We can look at whatever the things the camera installed in their head through a portable monitor.

   Just like real spiders, these spider drones can shoot out sticky webs from their abdomen and hang from the ceiling. If we have them crawl on the ground, they might get stepped on, so we figured that this is the best method.

   They are not only inside the mansion, but outside as well. This way, we could tell the moment an intruder arrives. We take turns to look at all the available monitors.

   Inside the mansion, all the guests are inside a huge ballroom located at the 1st floor. There are round tables all over the place, but for now they’re standing together in groups and mingling among each other. Waiters and waitresses are seen walking around the hall carrying tray full of glasses containing champagne. I notice that a lot of teenagers present are drinking them, even though they’re still underaged. At a rough guess, the number of guests are around 200.

   And all of them have fake smiles.

   Seriously, you would think that they’re having an audition for an actor, or a politician. At least Amaya-san has an excuse of having the expression, since she probably loathes this kind of event.

   Speaking of Amaya-san, she’s currently speaking to 3 rich-looking brats who’re trying to woo her. Meanwhile, her parents are standing behind her at both sides. I could be wrong, but they look like they’re trying to prevent her from escaping by placing their hand on her shoulders.

   ‘My parents are hosting a beach-side party next Wednesday, and they allow me to invite a guest. I would be honored if you were to accept my invitation.’ Rich brat A says to her.

   ‘A beach-side party? Pssh! My parents own a private island! I am more than happy to bring you there! We will have so much fun!’ Rich brat B tries to one-up his rivals.

   ‘Oh, forget them! My parents own a blimp. We could tour the world with it. If only, if only you would say yes to my invitation!’ Rich brat C joins the wooing by saying.

   Wow. This one sounds kind of desperate.

   I notice that while the 3 of them are talking, 3 pairs of middle-aged couples are also talking nearby. Even though they’re in the middle of a conversation, their eyes are constantly looking towards the youngsters and Amaya-san’s parents. They’re probably the parents of the rich brats.

   ‘Worry not. Amaya will definitely take on all of your offers.’ Father Yamagata says.

   ‘Isn’t that right, Amaya?’ Mother Yamagata adds.

   I notice that the 2 of them are squeezing her shoulder.

   Amaya-san flashes a smile that’s so fake and forced even a baby could tell that she’s acting.

   ‘Of course. I am always available for you.’ she says brightly.

   On the other hand, Madoka is using another group of spider drones to spy on the 4 employees from the lab.

   ‘Are they doing anything suspicious, Madoka?’ I ask for the 5th time since the party started.

   She shakes her head for the 5th time.

   ‘No. They’re just chatting with the other guests and talk about the economy and stuff.’

   I look over at Mashiro, who’s staring at a third monitor. On it are multiple scenes projected by spider drones deployed outside the mansion.

   She notices me staring at her and returns my stare. She then shakes her head. Seems like the outside is quiet for now.

   For at least an hour, Amaya-san is being lead around by her parents to talk to all sorts of people. More rich brats whose soles purpose is to woo her, some adults who are also doing pharmaceutical business, a few doctors, and 2 or 3 men who were looking lecherously at her while they’re talking. I hope Greg doesn’t find out about the last group, or he might rage.

   The conversation Amaya-san had with these people are around the same: promises to go to their party they or their parents are hosting, her future plans which may or may not include being part of their family, something about medicines, even politics.

   The things she says and the replies she gives is pretty much controlled by her parents who’re always behind her. Whoever that talks to her says something, and if it’s an invitation or something similar her parents will first agree to it for her, then presses her shoulders so that she will have no choice but to agree to it as well.

   If she’s asked to give an opinion and her parents think that it might not make the person listening happy, they would interrupt her and shove their opinion in.

   ‘...Wow, her situation is much worse than you described, Akira-kun.’ Sakuya, who’s also looking at the monitor I’m holding, says to me.

   ‘No kidding. I’m so tempted to get her out right now. If only she would turn 20 faster…’

   Eventually, Amaya-san are taken to talk to the 4 staffs.

   ‘Good evening, I hope all of you are enjoying yourselves so far.’ Father Yamagata tells them.

   ‘We are indeed. Thank you for inviting us to this party.’

   The one who talked looks more important than the others. He’s probably Ryuuouji’s personal assistant that Madoka mentioned.

   ‘It’s such a shame that Chairman Ryuuouji couldn’t come here.’ Mother Yamagata sighs. ‘I would have loved to meet him.’

   ‘The Chairman had some important business to attend back in his lab and therefore had to decline your invitation to come here. He did, however, sent his regards.’

   For the first time since the party started, Amaya-san was not required to participate in the conversation. Her parents and the staff are to only ones who are talking. The staff’s colleagues are happy to let the guy do all the talking.

   ‘In addition, he sent us to represent him to talk ab-’

   Suddenly, Father Yamagata coughs loudly.

   ‘Perhaps we could talk about the matter after the party is over.’ he suggest with a few sneaky winks.

   The guy took his meaning and dropped the matter. Unfortunately for them, it’s already too late. Originally, I was lying down at the floor with Sakuya lying next to me. Now I got up in excitement.

   ‘And here I thought this job is going to be boring. That’s what I’m talking about!’

   ‘Akira-kun, I’m glad that you’re more enthusiastic at your job, but please don’t be reckless.’ Sakuya tells me.

   ‘Don’t worry, senpai. I’ll be careful.’ I promise her.

   Apparently, Amaya-san found it exciting too. I saw her expression change for a second, but she switched back to her fake smile in an instant.

   They talk for a bit more, then they retreat back to their seats since it’s finally time for dinner. Everyone is eating the same food we ate, and more variety of alcoholic drinks like red and white wine and even brandy are served.

   Father Yamagata quickly finishes his food so that he could give a speech while the guests are still eating. I groan inwardly. I hope I could survive this.

   Turns out the answer is a big fat nope. I managed to listen only 1 minute of his blabbering before my brain refuses to process his speech any more and shuts down.

   Eventually, my brain restarted when my ears heard some loud applause. I look at the monitor once more and realize that Father Yamagata was already done with his speech and went back to his seat.

   ‘What did I miss?’ I ask Ichika who switched with Assaf-sensei. ‘I didn’t hear like, 95% of the speech.’

   ‘You missed nothing of importance. He merely proceeded to address the guests and thanking them for coming, assuring everyone that the Yamagata Pharmacy will keep on going strong, and he would love to have their utmost support so that everyone in need would benefit. The usual mundane things.’

   I think of Taira and the other homeless person who went missing. I grit my teeth.

   ‘So that everyone in need would benefit, my foot. If that part isn’t considered an absolute lie, I don’t know what is.’

   Assaf-sensei sits down behind me and massages my shoulders in an attempt to calm me down.

   ‘Temper, temper. If you lose your cool, you’ll be blind to everything else.’ she whispers at my ear.

   I feel my temper slowly disappearing after hearing her words. I inhale deeply, then exhale.

   ‘Thank you, Assaf-sensei. I feel much calmer now.’

   ‘You’re welcome.’

   Even though I told her that, she still hasn’t release her hands from my shoulders, and I can feel that she’s leaning close to me. I pull away her hands and got up before she does something inappropriate.

   ‘Let me take over, Akira-kun.’ Yui offers.

   I hand her the monitor. ‘Thanks, Yui.’

   Both Assaf-sensei and Sakuya look like they want to do something to me, so I sit down next to Ichika.

   ‘Hmm? Amaya-san is leaving her seat.’ Ichika informs.

   I look at the monitor she’s holding.

   ‘Where are you going, Amaya?’ Mother Yamagata asks her daughter.

   ‘My apologies, mother. I am suffering from slight dizziness and have to take a rest.’

   Mother Yamagata’s expression turns into one of anger, then it switches to a concerned look. She probably remembered at the last minute that she’s in front of a public.

   ‘Oh, my. Do take care of your body more. Try to come back as soon as you’re feeling better, won’t you? You’re supposed to dance with some of our guests, after all.’

   ‘No no, your health is more important, Amaya. Just take your time and recover.’ Father Yamagata says.

   That’s what he said, but his fury-filled eyes are saying something else.

   ‘Yes. Thank you, father.’

   Ayama-san curtsies gracefully at her parents. ‘Now then, I shall take my leave, father, mother.’

   After Amaya-san leaves the ballroom, I ask Ichika to control one of the  drones in order to follow her. She passes through a large art gallery and heads upstairs.

   Eventually, she goes into her room. For privacy purpose, Ichika leaves the drone outside.

   ‘Testing, testing. Can anyone hear me?’

   I suddenly hear Amaya-san’s voice through my earpiece.

   ‘Amaya-san? Is something the matter?’ I ask her.

   ‘Yes, something’s wrong, all right. I needed to talk to some real people, so I faked a dizzy spell. Seriously, there were so many plastic people in there I thought I was inside a doll factory!’

   My girlfriends blink in surprise. They’re probably surprised that this is how the real Amaya-san acts. Well, everyone minus Madoka.

   ‘I’m pretty sure it was suffocating for you.’ I say.

   ‘You think? By the way, could you all come out for a second? I want you to properly introduce all your girlfriends to me.’

   ‘As you wish.’

   As she requested, all of us leave the summerhouse. Amaya-san’s room is directly opposite the summerhouse, so she could just opens her windows and looks down.

   ‘Wow, so these are all your girlfriends, huh?’

   ‘Actually, there’s one more who’ll be added to the list soon.’ Sakuya says.

   ‘Seriously? Kagenashi, you sinful, sinful man.’ Amaya-san makes some tsk,tsk sounds playfully.

   She then notices Mashiro.

   ‘...Kagenashi, I did say there’s nothing wrong with having multiple girlfriends, but a grade schooler is a tad too far, don’t you think?’

   Mashiro puffs up her cheeks in protest.

   ‘How rude! Mashiro is 15 years old!’

   ‘Seriously?’

   ‘Yes. This is Fuyukaze Mashiro, a bona fide 15 years old high school student.’ I introduce.

   ‘Oh. Oops, my bad. Sorry about that.’

   ‘It’s fine. Mashiro got used to it.’

   Next, I stand beside Sakuya.

   ‘This is Morifuji Sakuya. She’s a second year, and the student council president of the school.’

   Sakuya smiles at Amaya-san. ‘It’s a pleasure to meet you, Amaya-san.’

   ‘Uuuuuh, an elder onee-san. And she’s a half with great body. Nice job, Kagenashi.’

   ‘I wonder. This onee-san is very bad with housewor-Yeow!’

   Sakuya interrupts me by stepping on my foot hard.

   ‘M-Moving on. This is Kurogane Ichika, a first year and the vice president of the student council.’ I hop to Ichika with one foot.

   Ichika bows at Amaya-san. ‘I am honored to be acquainted with you.’

   Amaya-san bows back. ‘Likewise.’

   I was planning to introduce Yui to her next, but Yui has already started talking.

   ‘Hello once again.’ Yui says.

   ‘Yes. It’s been a while.’

   ‘You two know each other?’ I ask.

   ‘We’ve met once when my family visited the shrine during New Year.’ Amaya-san explains. ‘Her father couldn’t stop talking about her cuteness to me.’

   Yui hangs her head in embarrassment. ‘I’m truly sorry for that.’

   Amaya-san just laughs it off. ‘It’s fine, it’s fine. It just show how much he’s proud of you.’

   Her tone suddenly becomes more bitter.

   ‘You should be glad, since mine never felt the same about me. They see me as a mere tool, not their daughter.’

   ‘Um, I know that me of all people have no rights to say this, but please cheer up. I’m sure that things will become better for you one day.’

   ‘Yeah, I believe that too. That’s why I’m still enduring their abuse.’

   I move on to Madoka next.

   ‘She’s Kojima Madoka, a first year from the Information Squad.’

   ‘Good day.’ Madoka says formally.

   ‘Hello. The Information Squad, you say? So, are you good at searching for dirt?’

   ‘More or less.’ Madoka answers modestly.

   ‘So, do you constantly threaten Kagenashi with the things you found out about him?’

   ‘Amaya-san, please don’t give her ideas.’ I plead.

   Too late. Madoka is looking at me in a calculating way.

   ‘Thank you for your wonderful suggestion.’

   ‘You’re welcome.’

   ‘Hey!’

   ‘I’m just kidding. Do you think I would do this kind of thing?’

   ‘True. However, I can’t say the same if it’s Sakuya-senpai.’

   ‘Hey!’

   ‘Lastly, there’s Maria Assaf. She’s our teacher.’

   ‘Seriously? Even a teacher?’

   ‘It’s a long story.’

   ‘I’m sure it is. I’m not gonna judge.’

   Now that the introduction’s done, Amaya-san closes up the window. As for us, we head back inside the summerhouse. It would be bad if someone sees us and tells Amaya-san’s parents. Once we’re inside, we talk some more.

   ‘So, have you guys done it yet?’ Amaya-san asks out of the blue.

   ‘No. No, we haven’t.’ I reply.

   ‘Seriously? You do know that Japan’s legal age for that is 13, right?’

   ‘Yes, I know that. And should I remind you that we’re students?’

   ‘I’m a teacher.’ Assaf-sensei quickly says.

   ‘That makes it worse.’

   ‘Not true. As I said before, I get a pass since I’m an adult.’

   ‘Can we move on? I fell like we’ll be talking about this for the whole night if we continue.’ I plead.

   ‘Fine, fine. I’ll ask you about Greg, then. I’ve always pestered him to tell me about his work, but he always clams up.’

   I look at Madoka.

   ‘He does his work diligently, but he has some trouble getting along well with his colleagues.’

   ‘Oh my. Are they discriminating against him since he’s a Destroyer?’

   ‘Not at all. If anything, they want to be closer to him. He, on the other hand, doesn’t look like he wants to do the same.’

   Amaya-san sighs. ‘And I kept on telling him to get along with his co-workers more. That stubborn rock head.’

   From what I heard from Madoka, Greg is working as a bodyguard for hire. She also told me that he’s often being assigned to protect some rich big shots that have close relationship with Principal Morifuji.

   ‘Incidentally, most of the said co-workers are female.’ Madoka adds.

   I hear Amaya-san takes in a sharp breath.

   ‘...On second thought, maybe there’s no need for him to be close to them.’

   After talking for a while, Amaya-san decides to go back. Indeed, if she delays going back for far too long, it’s not going to end well for her once the party ends.

   ‘Before you go, Amaya-san, I have something to tell you. Actually, it’s more like a warning.’ I tell her.

   ‘What is it?’

   ‘Please don’t investigate about what your parents are secretly doing on your own.’

   ‘...Was I that obvious?’

   ‘Kind of. You had an excited look on your face when the employee of the Bio Lab almost blurted out something.’

   ‘Wow, really? I”m just glad my parents didn’t saw it.’

   ‘I mean it, Amaya-san. Don’t go poke your nose into something that’s way out of your league. Who knows what they’ll do to you if they found out?’

   ‘I know that. Look, I’m not that stupid, alright? I was just excited that they might be hiding something.’

   ‘Promise?’

   ‘Promise.’

   ‘...Alright, I believe you.’

   ‘Thank you. Now, I really need to go back.’

   ‘Yes.’

   Once she’s back, she’s immediately forced to dance with all sorts of people. Some of her partners are being way more touchy than necessary. However, she’s unfazed at all, and she manage to maintain her fake smile throughout the whole time.

   The party ends at 12 midnight, and most of the guests made a huge fuss about not wanting to leave. My guess is that they’re still not done with buttering up the Yamagatas. Either way, left they did. Even the waiters and waitresses are gone. Only the employees from the lab are still around.

   Father Yamagata summons Tagawa-san.

   ‘Tagawa-san, please tell our hired guards that their service is no longer required, and they are free to go home.’ he instructs her.

   Tagawa-san bows at him. ‘Right away, sir.’

   Before she leaves, Amaya-san takes out the pin I gave her and hands it to Tagawa-san.

   ‘Please return this to them.’ Amaya-san tells the housekeeper.

   ‘Yes, ojou-sama.’

   Meanwhile, Mother Yamagata is telling Amaya-san to go back to her room.

   ‘Your father and I will be entertaining these guests a bit longer. You have our permission to leave.’ she tells her.

   Amaya-san nods obediently. ‘As you wish, mother.’

   Before Amaya-san leaves, she made sure to curtsies at the employees. They merely smiles and waves at her.

   As for us, we’re busy pretending that we’re all prepared to go home. By the time Tagawa-san is here to give back the pin and tells us Father Yamagata’s message, we’ve already retrieve all the drones.

   ‘Thank you for your hard work tonight.’ Tagawa-san tells us when we’re at the gate. ‘Sir and madam would love to see you off as well. Unfortunately, they still have guests that they need to entertain.’

   ‘No, it’s fine.’ I assure her.

   I seriously doubt that those 2 will see us off even if there isn’t any guest left. I decide to let it slide.

   ‘Well, may you have a good night, everyone.’ Tagawa-san says while bowing at us.

   ‘Yes. Good night to you too.’

   Naturally, we acted like we’ve left, but in actuality we didn’t stray too far from the mansion.

   ‘I’ll sneak in with some drones. All of you can hear what they said through the monitor.’ Madoka wastes no time by saying.

   I nod. ‘Be careful.’

   ‘Okay.’

   And so, we have 2 drones crawl to Madoka’s shoulder. Once that’s done, she’s off to infiltrate the mansion.

 

 

 

 

47