Arc: 3 [Chapter 7]
173 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Creak-crack.

The wooden bridge squeak as we make our way across. It quite surprising that the wooden walkway was able to withstand the weight of my bike landed on it, earlier. As I explore the village with my sight, I am amazed by the web of wooden bridges, criss-cross each other, above and bottom. Connecting all of it together and always lead back to the central oversized tree.

The tree-houses are also quite unique in its design, built entirely from bamboo, the top is bent and tied together, shaping the tree-houses into a lancet arch.

I let out a smile as I notice the curious children of the village, above us on the wooden bridge, looking at me as if I was strange. There's no denying that I am strange in my looks and the way I dressed. My norms and their norms are also quite different.

I wave at them and they quickly hide their heads.

This village is certainly peaceful and serene to live in, maybe I could bring Daisie here. I probably shouldn't, me being here already has its troubles. Letting out a sigh, Agnes sure missed quite a sight here, I hope he's fine wherever he is.

After arriving at the entrance of my destination, Lulu parted the cloth door and implored me to enter. I take a step inside, and the homey feeling is what first strikes me as I look at the interior. The handmade tapestry hangs over the wall and carpet soft as fur cover the floors. A firepit in the middle with warm embers heating the pot of stew above it.

The quiet cough caught my attention, and I turn my gaze to the source. An older version of Lulu, lay on the bed, looking tired, but happy as she turns her gaze at us. Lulu rushes to the woman and sit at her side, the older wolf-woman lift one of her four hands and rub the top of Lulu's head.

"I'm sorry for my appearance, lady candidate, it seems you caught me in a bad time." The older woman apologized.

"It's fine, actually, I'm sorry for bothering you."

"My name is Aria of The Second, may I ask for your name." She let out a cough at the end of her sentence.

"I am Andre of Adrestia."

"Oh my, Adrestia? I hope my daughter hasn't caused any trouble." Her eyebrows furrowed as she looked at her daughter. Lulu's head shrinks to avoid her mother's wrath.

"No, No, I'm just here to deliver the stag that she hunted."

"Lulu?" She raised her voice slightly. "I told you not to go alone, you know how dangerous it is alone out there."

"But, Mama I had too, it's time for me to become an adult and take care of you. Besides, Miss Andre was there with me, she helped me."

Her mother let out a small sigh, and turn her gaze at me, "I apologize for any inconvenience that my daughter had caused."

"Meh, It's not that big of a deal."

Her father interrupts us by saying, "Lulu, may I speak to you alone, please."

Lulu with heavy legs, she got up and followed her father. They left the tree-house, leaving me and Aria alone. She tries to lift her torso so she could sit, I noticed her difficulty and helped her.

"Thank you."

"It's nothing, so..."

"No, it's not that serious. It’s just common for me when I get sick, that it makes me bedridden. Lady Andre, you shouldn't be bothered by our mortal ailment, us mortals get sick regularly, some light while others... like me."

"You make it sound like I don't care."

"I mean no disrespect, but it's the truth. A candidate such as yourself must have a duty of your own, that's why we shouldn't burden you by our trouble."

I let out a sigh, "Anyway, Lulu is amazing, she’s great at tracking and hunting. She even helps me find my target. That's not all, she is adorable and helpful. You certainly did great in raising her."

"Thank you for the compliment, Lady Andre. Hearing it from you means a lot to me. However, I alone shouldn't receive such a compliment. My husband also helps, he is the one who taught Lulu how to hunt."

I turned my gaze at the door as I heard Dorian raised his voice, "Don't you know how dangerous it is to meddle with the gods?!"

"She's not dangerous, father. Why won't you listen to me? Haven't I proven myself to be an adult? Or do you just don't want to listen to your daughter because of your big ego?"

"It's not about you or me, it's about our people’s safety! You heard her threat, she wanted to burn our village to the ground."

"The people are fine, she’s just kidding. I know her."

"Know her? You just met her today. Don't be foolish, use your brain!"

"I am using my brain! But, you just don't want to listen to me because you are an arrogant old man!"

"Well, you're just a spoiled brat!"

"Me spoiled?! How do you spoil me when you’re not even around. All you do is work and work, you don't even visit when Mama gets sick." Lulu's eyes are on the verge of tears as she let it all out.

Dorian turned his gaze away, "The people need me, Lulu."

"I'm sick and tired of hearing that! The people this! The people that! What about us? Your family! Are we not important enough?" She barks at her father.

Lulu waits for her father's answer, but he just remain silent, he couldn't think of anything to say.

Lulu clenched her hands, "What difference does it make, whether you're here or not... I wish you weren't even here."

Dorian was struck by that painful words that it caused him to raise his hand and about to slap his daughter on the face. Lulu's eyes widen in fear as she saw what was coming. However, I intervened by grabbing Dorian's hand, preventing him from going any further.

"Don't do anything you'll regret."

"Miss Andre?!" Both of them gasp in surprise.

I let go of Dorian's hand, but Lulu turns her gaze at her father, heartbroken that he was about to hit her, his own flesh and blood. So she takes off in haste while holding in her tears.

"Lulu!" Dorian called out, but he was too late. He presses his palm against his scrunched forehead, disappointed at himself.

"It was my fault, I couldn't control my anger..." Dorian uttered through his gritted teeth.

He removed his hand and looked at me, nodding his head in gratitude, "Thank you for stopping me, I don't know what would happen if I were to hit her."

"She's right you know...I'm not here to hurt anybody, but I understand your fear. If you wish me to leave, then I can do it as soon as possible."

"No! Please stay, there's a celebration tonight, honoring Lulu to adulthood. I think she would like to have you there."

"I think it would be awkward for me to attend, after what happened."

"Please, Miss Andre, for me, and Lulu." He bows his head at me, pleading at me to attend the celebration.

****

Night came as fast as it could.

I spent most of my evening strolling the village and when night came, I made my way to the cavern entrance underneath the central tree. Upon arriving there, a small wolf-boy brought me a crown of flowers, he fidgets as he presents me the crown. I let out a smile, calming him and lower myself to his height. He placed the crown on my head and back away.

I pat his head while saying, "Thank you."

The wolf-boy blushed as he says, "You're welcome."

I raise myself again, and barely avoiding the children, running toward the entrance. I turn my gaze on the people around me, couples, families and singles, all of them are making their way to the entrance with a bright smile.

Making my way to the entrance, I part the curtains of tree vines and step inside. Darkness overlapped my sight, but a faint bluish light glimmer at the end of the tunnel. Amazed again as I look upon the glowing mushrooms above me, and was astounded at how it brightens up the large cavern.

People gather around the fire pit, taking a seat and warming themselves. I watch as the smoke rises into the large hole above it and reach the beautiful night sky. It seems that inside the tree, the body is hollow.

From where I stand, I could see Lulu on a small stage, surrounded by decorative pillows. While dressed in a white, loose robe with red paints cover her entire body in a form of convoluted decorative lines. It must be a part of the ceremony or tradition. She quickly waves at me from where she sat, and I reply by raising my hand. Albeit, the distance between me and her, I still could see the puffy eyes.

How much did she cry after what happened?

"She looks beautiful."

I turn my sight at the source of the voice, Lulu's mother stands beside me with a smile and heavy breath, "You shouldn't be out of bed."

"And miss my daughter’s ascension?"

I let out a small laugh, "Let me help you find a seat."

"Thank you, Miss Andre." I take hold of her hands and lead her to an empty spot near the fire pit, so she could stay warm in this cold night.

Lowering myself beside her, the celebration suddenly kicks off with the sound of drums and flute. A flurry of belly dancers enters the cavern from every direction in the exact time.

I let out a small laugh as I mutter to myself, "I can see now where that belly dancer outfit comes from." I always find it weird that a belly dancer outfit exists in Aphrodite's world, despite the fact that the people there dressed in an entirely different type of clothing.

The belly dancers dance in a circle around the fire pit, my eyes are tantalized by the sinuous movement of their bodies, while the bell bracelets and anklets tinkle to the beat of the music. Their mouth is hidden under transparent silk while their striking eyes bore into me, never letting me escape their sight.

I wish Agnes was here to see this amazing performance.

A bowl of food is passed onto me, looking into it, I can see some kind of ball-shaped delicacies that are wrapped by green leaves. I take one and pop it into my mouth, it tasted sweet and sour. After taking a few of them, I pass on the bowl to the next person beside me and watch the performance.

As the dancers drop to the floor with a dramatic pause, while the muse simmers down. People turn their heads to the entrance, Dorian, wearing a loose white robe of his own, with a bone necklace and carrying a crown made out of crystalized horns, probably made from the stag that Lulu hunted.

The white fabric drags the dirt as Dorian come close to his daughter. I can tell from where I sat that there is a clear awkwardness between Dorian and Lulu. As Dorian stands before his daughter, Lulu avoids eye contact, but the wolf-man still kept his gaze on her as he places the crown on his daughter's head. Bending his knee to meet her height, he dips his two fingers in a small bowl of red dye beside Lulu, and place it against her forehead.

Two new lines running down Lulu's head to her snouts then Dorian mutters something to her. She looks at her father with disbelief, then a half smile appears with a single tear of joy drip down. At the same time, her father shows the same expression. I think both of them just mended their relationship because what happens next, shows that Lulu still loves her father and her father still loves her.

It is all laid out for us to see, Lulu embraced her father and her father replied back with teary eyes.

They both let go of each other, and Dorian bow his head deeply to show her, his respect and how proud he's feeling right now. Aria, Lulu's mother beside me, take hold of my hand as she watches the heartwarming scene unfolds.

Dorian left the cavern and the music spark to life again, the dancers start spinning as wolf-men enter the room in a loud roar, wearing only pants and holding a bow. They start performing martial arts with their bow, it was fascinating to me as The Well of Knowledge inside my head recognizes those moves.

They kept passing the bowl of the same ball-shaped treats, and I kept eating it, until Lulu tap on my shoulder from the back. I turn my head to meet her joyous face, she hugs me and sits beside me and her mom.

"You were beautiful up there." Her mom said to her.

Lulu blushed red and her wolf ears droop.

"It's true, I’m kinda jealous right now." I join with my praise.

"Hehe." Lulu hit me on my shoulder lightly.

"So you make up with your father?"

"Yes, he apologized earlier and he said to me that he is proud of me, and loved me so much. I also said the same thing to him."

"So where is he?"

"Hmm, probably busy managing the party—"

"I wouldn't be too sure about that," Dorian said from behind us.

Lulu turns her head, "Dad? You're here?" She was surprised by her father’s appearance.

"Yes, I'm finally here. My second will handle the party while I make time for my family."

Dorian wedge in between me and Lulu, I let out a laugh, "Okay, okay, okay, geez... this spot is getting crowded."

They all laughed and giggled as they stick close to each other while I scoot away from them. I roll my eyes and chomp on the treats.

Lulu with wide eyes rushed to me, her voice sounds concerned as she says, "Miss Andre! How many have you eaten that!?"

"20 or more. What? What's going on?"

Dorian also with wide eyes rush to me and pressed his palm on my forehead, "You've eaten 20 of them? And... you are okay?" Dorian moved his hand away.

"Yeah... I'm feeling a bit energetic for some reason."

They looked at me weird as if I just screwed a goat, "What? What's the matter?"

"Because this little treat has calming properties if taken in a small quantity, but if it is taken in very large amounts, then a strong halucegeeeeeniccccccccccccccccccccccccccc..........................................."

Hdgsiajsnbsvxbjs, twisted and blurred out.

Shvjsjdhjwjssse Hehehehehe

Zbbsjsdnhsjsn Woookkkkk

Goat? Hah, neat.

Darkness, sword, me?

Adrestiaaaaaaaa, what she did?

Ballsss.

Agnesssss.

Hexagonal.

Daisie........

Blacked out.

1