Arc: 4 [Chapter 11]
154 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Where’s Lord Zeus?" Odesza rushed at me as I stepped away from the portal along with Iris.

The portal closed on itself, my sight downcast while a heavy horrific realization weighed on me. I took out the glowing marbles when Zeus and Poseidon's candidates walked up to me. I gave each of them, their respective glowing marbles, just like Zeus's wishes.

"He said he loves both you and your mother, and wished things were different." I looked at the blond-haired, blue-eyed man, and nodded before leaving him.

The blonde-haired man closed his eyes and shattered the marble in his hand, then a sudden, a flow of energy circled his arm and make its way throughout his body. The same thing happened to Odesza, as her and his body was transformed into a glowing and more adult-like body of beauty and grace. Both of them had become a god.

However, I was not there for the spectacle as I was too busy with my own thoughts. All of them ignored me as I walked away except for Iris as she followed me with a downcasted gaze.

“With this power, we can win this. Do you agree with me, Hiro?” Odesza turned to Zeus’s candidate; Hiro remained silent as he stared upon his hands.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Odesza. In terms of numbers, we are overwhelmed and don't you realize that we are the only one left? All of the gods already leave because they are too afraid to fight, and what happened to Zeus, only confirms their doubts. Can you back me up on this, Aria?” Arthur, the winged boots wearing man who looks like a casual businessman; spoke out clearly. Even though, he wore some kind of advanced futuristic helmet that hides his face.

“0.5 percent, our current probability of success, Arthur.” Aria, a dark-skin woman with a disinterested face and short brown hair said calmly. A candidate to none other than Athena. The armor she wore is as beautifully well made and sleek as the top grade tech hidden underneath it.

“O.5 percent out of 1?” A man with a sleek purple-haired that matched his purple Hawaiian shirt jokes; as he took a drink out of his flask. No one could mistake this man when smelling the sweet scent of grape wine as he is the candidate to Dionysus.

“0.5 out of 100,” Aria answered precisely,

“Stop joking around, Daryl,” Hanna, a woman with tan-skinned and long brown-haired tied into a bun is so elegant as the umbrella she carried, scolded the slightly drunk man. The cold demeanor as familiars as Hera herself, so she could only be a candidate to none other than Hera.

“Aww, don't be mad, Hanna. We all know that you can’t get any real man into those panties because of how terrifying you are,” Daryl joked again.

“Ugh, a candidate to the gods should not dirty his or her mouth with obscene words, and how could you find humor in our current situation?” Danielle, a woman dressed in green and wielding a wooden staff that one could mistake for an ordinary tree branch turned her gaze at Daryl with a frown and furrowed eyebrows.

“Do you really think that I forgot what happened? Do you really think I didn't realize how shitty our situation is? The gods don't want to help us fight, we have no army per se to even have a chance of winning, and our only firepower is the two of them, and I doubt they could fight the swarm of monsters or...God killer by themselves. Lastly, do you think that I forgot my god and brother! Dionysus, just passed away.” Daryl gritted his teeth as he slumped down to the floor and took a few drinks from his flask.

The atmosphere darkened as everyone walked away and took a seat or leaned against the wall somewhere else, mourning the death of their gods and goddesses alone. Odesza glanced around her, trying to figure out what to say, something to pull this group, but she got nothing, nothing that substantial to lift their spirits up. So she turned to Hiro, looking for help. The blonde-haired man remained captivated by his own power that he had forgotten his surroundings.

With no help from Hiro, Odesza herself gave up.

..

.

“Andre, you need to go there and say something. No one is more… experience than you. These people never felt utter despair like you did,” Iris pleaded me.

“When does it stop?” I looked up at the high ceilings with my lips parted.

"What stop?"

"Getting tangled up with mystic greek nonsense. Haven't I gone through enough?" I sighed. "How…long have you known about the prophecy, Iris?"

"Since the beginning, even before I met you," Iris answered while her gaze was elsewhere.

"That's why you shed a tear for me and accidentally called me The Light. If you know all of this would happen and you could have stopped it right there, right then. Then why didn’t you stop it?" My grip tightened.

“It’s not that simple.”

"Why? Why?! Why did you keep it a secret?"

"I had no choice…"

"BULLSHIT!" I shouted in rage and caused Iris to jolt away in fear.

"Woah, calm down, may I ask what is going on?" Tadao came to her aid by standing in front of her. I turned and noticed Iris shuddered slightly in fear by my outburst. Looking at that frightening girl's face, I lost my anger and remained calm again.

"It's nothing…" I scoffed.

"I disagree, you were yelling."

I turned my sight at Shin and I saw that same look Iris had on his face, "You too?" Shin nodded his head, confirming my suspicion.

"Does everyone know?!"

"Know what?" Kadence and Ophre walked to us. Even Tadao was confused by my delirious question.

"So only Shin and Iris, huh? Hahahaha...I despise this place so much."

"If you hate it so much, why don't you leave?" My attention was drawn by to person who asked me that question. I turned around and found Hades, standing behind me. My gaze instantly went to his hands, to see it had healed and regrown.

"I would! If I could." I looked back into his glaring gaze.

"But here you are, still. You know what will happen if you leave."

"If I leave I lost everything, if I stay I lost everything again. What kind of shitty choice is that?"

"Iris, can you see the outcome of our battle?"

"No, lord Hades. It's too many, I can't determine which path we are taking."

"Do you all hear that?!" Hades yelled out, and the other candidates even Hiro started to give their attention to the God of the Underworld.

"Our outcome is unknown. Do you know what that means?"

"It means that we have a chance to win this battle. Although, it may be a slim chance, and yet, it is still a chance nevertheless. So lift up your chin, grab your weapons, pray for your victory, and let's make it known that the candidates do not cower away when the worlds are in danger." The candidates began to stand up and hope finally arose in their gaze.

"Hiro, Kadence, and Odesza, your three are the oldest here, lead these people, guide them to victory. Aria, you're the candidate to the most brilliant strategist I have ever known, show that bastard ‘God Killer’ why. Danielle and Daryl find us something to eat and drink, if today our last day, let's make it something worth remembering. Arthur, you're the fastest one here, help them. Kingsley and James, find us some god damn good weapons and armor."

"There's no need," A rough voice echoed from behind them, Hephaestus. He brought down a single wardrobe from his back and opened it. Then with a single pull, it is enough to slide out the ridiculous neverending armors and weapons from that normal looking wardrobe.

"Gramp?" I mumbled.

"Good to see you again, Andre." Hephaestus smiled brightly at me.

"Everyone else, help each other," Hades ordered and everyone began to move again, rushing toward their tasks.

"Iris, may I ask where is Apollo?" Hades turned his attention at the small gothic girl.

"My lord, Lord Apollo, he is difficult to reach right now."

"The loss may have affected him more than I anticipated. We all could benefit from his help right about now."

"If I may Lord Hades, I—" Iris was interrupted by a red-headed woman wearing a white hoodie. "What she meant was, I and my Lil sis who had forgotten about me, are going to convince him to come."

"Corona? So glad to see you," Iris hugged her tightly as much as she could, and it caused a smile to appear on her big sis's face. Tadao noticed the woman and slightly nodded his head to show his respect. While Ophre glared with jealousy at the red-headed woman.

“Hey BFF!” Corona greeted the glaring woman.

“I’m not your friend.”

“Ah, you said that, but I know you can’t take your eyes off me.”

Ophre grunted and crossed her arms.

"Adventure on your own, new friends, glad to see you're okay, and thank you Tadao for taking care of her. However, we still have a task to do. Let's talk to Lord Apollo shall we?" Iris and Corona walked away and both of them left the hall.

"Tadao," Kadence called him, and he walked toward the woman.

"Andre, I need to speak to you in private," Hades said as he walked away. After hearing his request, I followed by his side.

"Andre, I know it's hard, but the greater good will always outweigh your own self-interest."

"Greater good? That's a load of bullshit, if you had found the source of this ruckus, we would never be here in the first place." The mirror-hallway never ceases to amaze me, but my own anger outweighs my other emotions.

"You are absolutely right, but we didn't, if it would be easy, we would have taken the other path. However, here we are, if you are so displeased of this place, you are welcome to leave."

"I can't!" I raised my voice.

"It's that new girl, am I correct? What's her name?" Despite my outburst, the god remained calm, even friendly even.

"Her name is Aki," I sighed while my shoulders droop

"I could tell this 'Aki' mortal is someone special to you."

"Yes, she is. She's the one who brought me back from the depths of despair." I smiled as I remembered her face fondly.

"It's a wondrous feeling, isn't it? Having someone to protect and live for."

"Yeah...But I don't know if I can go through it again, what you ask of me is harder than it looks."

I felt a hard fist hit against my cheek, I lost my footing and fell onto my butt. My sight went to Hades, he unclenched his fist and looked at me with a disappointed gaze. The punch was painful, but what hurts me more is the look of sympathy that comes after.

"I'm sorry to have hit you, but I kept hearing you complain and complain, since when do you give so easily? Did you forget that you're the one who faced and threatened me in my own realm to get what you wanted! Where is that tenacious woman I know? Look at you now. Pathetic."

‘Pathetic,’ that single word echoed in me.

"Andre!" Shin rushed and kneeled beside me.

Pathetic,’ it echoed again.

"This is not the same!" I waved my arm in front of me. "It's not that easy..."

"Do you think that it is easy for me? I'm scared shitless right now, my family is in danger, I lost my brothers and sisters, but here I am, still...You have to do it."

"I can't, I can't bear the same burden again."

"Andre…" Shin took hold of my hand, he surprised me.

"If you can't, let me have half of it, just like you said. Half and Half. You are not alone here this time around, you have friends and allies," Shin lifted me up and brought my gaze at the other candidates.

I took a moment to let those words sank into me, Aki was there for me. What she said to me, help me, and I used those words to help Shin. Now, it has come back full circle.

"If you can't do it, then find another way." What Hades said just now clicked something in me, and he is right.

"You're right, the outcome is uncertain. I think I know a solution. But right now, what do you need from me?" I clenched my hand as tight as I could.

"An army would help." A hopeful smile came back onto Hades' face.

"I know someone who can give us that."

I marched to the sorting of armor, but before I could pick one, James interrupted me and pulled my attention toward him. He held a lockbox with a bright smile on his face and brought it closer to me. I took the lockbox, it wasn't that heavy, but it has some weight to it.

“I made it just for you.”

“Thank you...but what is it?” I glanced at the lockbox.

“Open it up and see for yourself.”

I placed the lockbox on the ground because it ain't easy to open and holding it at the same time using only one arm. After I placed it carefully on the ground, I revealed the content inside of it, and I’m surprised to find a nice set of clothes. Black high boots, black cargo pants, a white top, a literal bulletproof vest, and a black overcoat with a white fur collar.

“Combat ready, I like it, thanks.”

“There’s more, dig in.”

I raised my eyebrow and dig deeper and felt a cold metal underneath those clothes, I took out the first layer, and I found myself to be even more surprised by the content inside. It is a mechanical arm made from decorative carved metals that fit together to form an arm. The way it is designed, the sharp jagged corner mix with a smooth corner. I guessed it was designed by two people, It could be his brother and him, and I was right when I caught a glance from Kingsley.

Right there, right then, I stripped off my torn clothes and wore the new set of clothes. At that moment when I saw James’s reddened face, I realize that I just got naked in front of these people, but I don’t really care. However, it was quite distracting for James. Wearing the clothes was easy, but the hard part was attaching the arm to my stump.

“Wait!”

“SHIT! AAAAHHH!!” The mechanical arm melted into my skin and fused with the bones inside. The burning sensation mix with the strange feeling of something moving inside your muscle was not something you want to feel, not even once in your entire life.

“I forgot to warn you, hehe, sorry,” James smiled apologetically. I looked at him with annoyance and pinched both of his cheeks.

“You pervert.”

“Ouch, ouch, I’m not a pervert! Also, there’s one more thing that I want to give you.” He moved away from me then kneeled down, and he removed the second layer of the lockbox to reveal a familiar hatchet.

“You fix it?”

“I didn’t, but I did forge a new one. It's stronger than ever.”

The hatchet’s grip fits perfectly in my hand, it burns slightly as it recognized me as its new owner, but it isn't as painful as the arm. I twirled it around, the weight, its how I remember it. It’s been so long, I’m sorry for what happened to you in the past. I wore the belt-sheath around my thigh and slid the hatchet into it.

“Okay, who wants to follow me back to the Underworld?” I turned myself around and saw Shin with a raised hand while others shook their heads.

“I shall follow you too,” Hades said while a beautiful cloak materialized on him.

“Let's go then,” I said and Hades immediately opened up a portal, giving us access to his realm without using teleportation rune. Hades, Shin, and I went into the portal without looking back.

0