Book 0: Chapter 8: Verm: Moonlight Chat
1.4k 2 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been just a day since we start training Maova and it seems that her progress is going well, just one day and she can use [Item Box] already, honestly she’s quite terrifying with how fast she grows, not that I’m the one to talk…

“What are you doing standing there looking at the night sky?” Ah, Yeig is here… I turn around to look at her, she doesn’t have her hood on like she usually does, I’m fine with either really.

“Just what I usually does, vampire doesn’t need to sleep anyway, at least they usually don’t” I answered, she walks toward me and look at the dark blue sky, then back at me.

“Is that so? How about we have chat? There’s this thing… that have been bothering me a little” She said not with the usual cheerful tone she usually have, not that those are genuine for the most part anyway, so not like it’s an issue.

“What problem do you have?” I asked, it’s hard to see her having problems really, it’s quite troubling for someone like her to worry over something.

“Well… even if I claim to love you… I really don’t know much about you do I?” She said while scratching her cheek awkwardly glancing away, so that’s what bothering her, well it’s not like I know a lot about her either, yet we seem to be together just fine.

“Well I have the same problem as well” I replied, she glanced back and smile awkwardly.

“Then… how about we chat and get to know each other better?” She asked, I’m fine with that, chatting over a clear night sky, not a bad atmosphere for such a talk I must say… at least I think that’s a sort of thing Agvil will say.

“That’s fine with me, the atmosphere is quite calming I must say, let’s talk here, watching the blue sky together” I said in a calm and composed tone as always, looking at the illuminating moon… is she blushing a little or am I seeing things? Well regardless of that she walked to the edge of the balcony and next to me.

“Y-Yeah let’s do that… so who should say what first?” She asked, isn’t this her idea? I think it’s better for her to start rather than being awkwardly indecisive.

“How about you ask something about me first?” I said to her, she look at me for a while and seems ponder over what she should say, putting her hand on her chin.

“Hmmm… well… how about your childhood?” She said somewhat hesitantly, no doubt such a subject is quite… sensitive, I don’t want to think about it too often, not really a bright part of my life.

“Well, there’s not much going on, I was always a bit of an outcast, people around my mother and I have rather low opinion of us, even our relatives, and we live without much comfort, it wasn’t something I want to look back to” I replied, it’s not exactly something with a positive note on it, but it’s the truth.

“I see… but how did you suffer so much? Did they find out you were a vampire back then? Or is there someone else?” She curiously asked while trying not to sound too insensitive, I suppose I could tell her, not like anyone else know about this… at least the only one that are alive to tell the tale… is me.

“It’s something that wasn’t pretty, my mother is a simple goat beastkin working and living at her own pace, but let’s just say she encountered something she wish she didn’t encounter” I said, the chance of that encounter was slim to none, she is truly the most unfortunate.

“Goat beastkin? That’s strange… I know vampire can be born from any kind of humanoid, but shouldn’t they have aspect of their parent’s race? You don’t have horn, at least as far as I can see” Yeig said while walking around me and observing my head, of course there are nothing left of it now.

“During my time as a general and fighting the Hero one of it got broken off, so I decided to ditch the whole thing entirely, they don’t naturally regenerate anyway, unlike the other part of my body” I replied, the now missing horns are the symbol of my carelessness back then, I know that the Hero is powerful, yet I make a few slip ups.

“Huh… that’s something I have absolutely no idea about…” Yeig commented, well it’s not something you can just figure out by looking, I wouldn’t say I didn’t miss the horns but honestly I’m fine without them.

“Anyway, my mother encountered a vampire, which is obviously something that is extremely unlikely to happen, and I suppose you can guess what happened next” I said, I know that a vampire have a very low fertility rate for both sexes, but that doesn’t mean it can’t happened if they try hard enough, having enough drives.

“Oh… so you’re…” She said but can’t quite spill it out.

“Yes, my mother was known for her beauty, the fact that a race known for their obvious superiority over others is charmed by her despite of that certainly shows… in the worst way imaginable” I said the last part bitterly, the pained voice of hers as she recount me that event still haunts me a little, even in the present it still put a chill down my spine. And the history more or less repeating itself just make looking back at it far worse.

“So that’s why you’re so… oh no… I’m sorry...” She suddenly said melancholically, probably the most sincere apology she ever made.

“Let’s get that behind us shall we?” I asked.

“Well… if that’s fine with you” She replied.

“Of course” I said.

“Well back to the story then, after… that, did the others know about it?” Yeig asked, sounding somewhat concerned.

“Well… the fact isn’t immediately obvious, but when I began craving blood and act aggressively others quickly picked up on the idea, and everything went downhill from there” I replied, looking back at that time I couldn’t understand why people were so afraid, everyone else was different from me and I didn’t realize, though the fact that my mother took the blame as well is unforgivable, at least in my eyes.

“I see… well, what happened… that makes you where you are now? And what happened to that vampire?” Yeig asked, that’s when things started to look a little brighter for me.

“I live with my mother for a few years after that, trying to fend for ourselves, my great power certainly come in handy in dealing with anything dangerous, so I usually go out hunting and she usually take care of other things, we live like that for a long time, isolated from our community. I began taking swordsmanship after seeing a traveler using it gracefully against a bunch of monsters, she looked like the saint of legend, or just a cold blooded killer, whatever I thought of her back then I think that swordsmanship is quite interesting, of course I don’t have supplies necessary for it, so for the most part I just use some random branches as a sword, until I began crafting one myself, not that I was any good at it” I said the last part a bit playfully, looking back at it now it sounds very childish, to think I took up swordsmanship after seeing a woman in white using it, speaking of which I don’t think I have ever seen her after that, not that she’ll be alive after all this time anyway since she seems to be a human.

“Well I guess everyone have some silly moment in their life” Yeig said with a small smile on her face, well the story after this isn’t anywhere near as bright.

“Anyway, after I live with my mother without much contact with the others, a man approached us, he asked us some questions and decides to stay and helped out, it was weird I must say, staying with a dangerous demon is certainly something a sane person wouldn’t do” I said taking a glance at Yeig while she pouted a little. She stopped after a while and I continue.

“His name is Agvil, truly a strange man, but not a bad one, he began helping me with hunting and mom and taking care of the house, it was like a truly functional family that I never have… but it doesn’t end there, that thing came back and took her by force, obviously neither of us will let her go, so we both chased after it and find its hideout and began attacking it, he is certainly strong for a goat beastkin, even that thing is perplexed by his strength, in the end we defeated it and take mother back… but…” It’s painful to think about… how we are too late.

“But what?” She asked, looking at me sorrowfully.

“She have been done in once again, it was simply too traumatic for her the second time, and its treatment of her is way worse than last time and she… passed away not long after that, leaving us, just the two of us” I said while looking at the bright moon, we haven’t been taking our time in saving her… yet it doesn’t matter in the end.

“After all of that we left our home and began traveling and fighting everywhere, eventually we got involved in a war against the humans, both of us being so powerful landed us amongst the generals, well, Agvil managed to slip past their radar and I was the one stuck with the position, it’s the one time I was actually angry at him, anyway I lost my horns, the Demon Lord is killed by a suicide attack from the Hero, and the demi-human all evacuated into the deep forest, and I was the only one left to took charge, no one can really question me with the power I possess, with some thinking that I may be stronger than the Demon Lord, not that we’ll ever know of course” That’s the summary of how I ended up here with such a title and all that, there’s not much else to the story worth mentioning.

“Your story is more fascinating than I expected to be honest… and a lot more tragic too” She said the first part sounding somewhat enthusiastically while the second part clearly sorrowfully.

“It was all in the past, no need to worry about it too much” I said to her.

“Well, I suppose that’s true, guess you want to learn more about me now?” She nervously asked.

“Yeah, I don’t know a single thing about you aside from being an extremely powerful sage and way older than me, how about you actually told me about yourself” I said somewhat dully.

“Where to start… from my title you can probably guess how important I am to the history of this world’s magic” She start this whole thing with a question, I suppose that’s just like her to do so, everyone know at least a little bit about the Age of Creation, when people from all kind of race began experimenting with magic and trying all kind of spells, creating multitude of artifacts and dangerous tools, people were ruthless in their research and cause all kind of destruction, it’s certainly ironic how much destruction was caused in the Age of Creation, and if I remembered the details correctly the Divine Calendar was made back then as well.

“And what is your involvement in that age? You can’t exactly expect me to know just from your title” I asked.

“Okay I’ll tell you, you see… do you know about the two most prominent sage of that time?” How am I supposed to know about that?

“How am I supposed to know about that?” I replied echoing my thoughts, I already know from that that she’s a very important figure of that time, if what she said is accurate.

“Fair enough, it’s been way too long so even those two will be lost to time, unlike me” She said smirking a little, then back to explaining.

“I was a test subject for both of them while they were collaborating, trying out many spells or have me doing so because of my innately high magic capacity and talents for every elements, after some time as both of them began having conflicting opinion and become hostile toward each other, that was when I turned on them and take their research for myself, along with everything they have made, of course without them I have no purpose in life… in fact I was seriously contemplating death… it’s what fate have in store for me in the first place, but in the end I think of how the world may have much more in store, more than just magic and death, somewhere else to look forward to, I cause a lot of problems and solutions, usually more of the latter, anyway I have cause all sorts of events, problems will ended up in the history book later down the line, I’ll live to see more of the world, and to see you” She said with a smile, before I noticed it she began cradling my face, trying to flirt in the middle for telling her dark history I see, can’t say it isn’t charming. I put my hand on hers and smile back.

“So it seems you have a much rougher time than me” I commented.

“Maybe, just so you know my hair wasn’t always this light gray kind of color” She said.

“What does that mean?” I asked.

“There’s a syndrome that bleached the victim’s hair due to extreme stress and other negative conditions, my hair used to be black, look at it now” She said while touching her hair. Such a condition exist? I never encountered anyone like that, just how much suffering must one endured that their hair changed colors? 

“That’s sounds rather severe isn’t it?” I said.

“Well, perhaps, but at least that path leads me to you” She said with a small smile

“Smooth talker aren’t you? Anything else you want to say?” I said with a small smile on my face as well, she blushed a little.

“I mean… unless you wants me to tell you of every shenanigans I did I don’t have anything important to say… aside from-”

“I love you” I cut in, her eyes widen in surprise.

“Hey! Don’t just steal my line like that!” She said playfully while detracting her hand, pouting and looking slightly frustrating, not exactly a common sight I must say, to see her like this.

“Heh, you can be quite cute when not acting so condescendingly, perhaps you should open up a little” I said to her.

“You’re the one to talk!” She retort, I suppose that was a bit hypocritical, I’m not a type of person to let all of my emotions out and certainly can be harsh even to those I cared for, but that’s just how I am.

“Fair enough, but perhaps… at least you’ll put the act behind you… when it’s just us two” I replied.

“...Just maybe… a little” She shyly said, as much as she wants me to open up, she certainly hasn’t done so herself, perhaps she’s the one needed to be taken care of more than that girl, I’m glad we were able to convey our history to each other though, not even Agvil really told me everything, not about his… no… her past… not in its entirety anyway, and perhaps I will never know, but at least I have someone who will right now, someone that I can trust, and maybe open up just a little more than before… 

37