Book 2: Chapter 12: Bell: Another Look
274 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After talking with that girl I wasn’t really doing anything aside from staying in my room and look at the flower blooming…

I’m getting sleepy as well, and the sun doesn’t even set just yet. I’m really am quite a sleepyhead aren’t I.

This day the vampire called Vermilla doesn’t make me do any of her drills or beating up any of her subordinates, must’ve been planning something I’d imagine, it feels like people here are planning something behind their back, it’s just a feeling I have really…

*Yawn*

Well I think an early bedtime would do me some good, maybe I should do just that. Opening my way inside my bedroom and getting my pink sleepwear and dressed up in them. 

This whole things feel like a strange dream, but it’s not. I’m never the ones about dreams and so on, yet here I am thinking this whole thing might be it with how odd everything here is.

… 

There we go, in the bed and ready for a nice long sleep.

*Yawn*

Time to get… some… shut… eyes…

 

#####

 

*Rustle* *Yawn*

Haa… these pass few days waking up never feels too bad, this bed is very comfy, in fact everything here is way too advanced, it’s something only those of royalty would have, if not better. Those stuck up at the top have many great magic tools for their conveniences, and people here have tools as well, but it’s all so simple and easy to understand. Well the owner of this place seems to be the Demon Lord so it isn’t that far off… and no one seems to want to share me any of their stories, it’s off putting and make me feel like I don’t belong, that sage said so as well when the Demon Lord teleported me here, so much for reunion.

Well it’s time to dressed up, so do I have to put my armor on today? I didn’t met Vermilla yesterday at all so I don’t know, I probably don’t have to, and hopefully she won’t get mad at me.

There we go. I think I can leave my sword here for now as well. It’s quite an upgrade from the one I had before.

*Open*

The simple and serene design of this place greeted me and I can’t say that I’ll get tired of it. Now what to do… Hm? A letter? Let’s pick it up and see its content.

Today I’ll be personally training my daughter and daughter-in-law, I won’t be here checking up on you so manage by yourself.

 

  • Vermilla

 

Well guess today is a day off. Now back to what I was doing… I guess I’ll eat some breakfast first. There’s that food storage over there, let’s see… Ah, that pink bar of whatever, I think I got it as a souvenir since those people go somewhere and didn’t invite me, but at least some were thoughtful enough to buy me something. I can’t read the language at all on this package, they look like rune more than anything else, and there are pictures of pink flowers on them, I always like flowers so that’s probably why they gave this to me, hopefully it doesn’t taste like actual flowers, last I check it didn’t taste good and I take that truth to heart. Still they said it’s a sweet, which I don’t think breakfast usually are… Well what do they care? I can eat whatever I want, now how does this work again? I think I tear out the wrapper… This is way to sturdy what is this made out of? Hngh!... There we go. It wasn’t the most dignified open for certain but… at least the content inside seems unscathed, let’s see… two pink bar, it’s attached together, what a weird design, like I’m supposed to snap it apart.

*Snap*

Yeah, looks like that’s how it was meant to be done, at least I think so, doing it any other way seems flat out asinine. Let’s try it out.

*Bite*

Hmm… it’s crunchy and sweet… it taste great, this is a good snack.

*Bite*

 

#####

 

Well with that done, time to… well there’s nothing I could do, perhaps I can walk around the castle, I don’t think that’s prohibited so I might as well do that. 

*Open*

Let’s look around and memorize the hallway for a moment… Okay time to move out, now where to go…

Walking around in the hallway and seeing just black corridors, unsettling is one way to put it. The hallway is rather long but I reached the stairway down eventually, perhaps I could pay those soldiers of hers a visit since I’m walking around the place anyway.

 

#####

 

Down the stairs and to the left of the castle, there’s a tiny gate out of sight to not attract any attention, it is also connected to the force’s headquarter and their facilities as well. I think they should we well acquainted enough with me to not try anything funny right?

Alright I’m here at the way in, it’s guarded by two well armored demi-humans, both wielding a glaive. I walk up to them and they thankfully don’t get in the way.

*Open*

There are people around this room, they’re just chatting it seems. Oh they noticed me with a funny look, how rude.

“Could you not?” I asked with a smile and they comply. Now where should I go? The squad she trains… where are they exactly? Perhaps I should check the living area. Also one thing of note this place is of high quality as well, like they’re for the holy knights, not that they were anything to write home about anyway, they were such a bore, annoying to boot. 

One thing annoying about being a mythril-ranked adventurer is the fact that we ended up getting involved with nobilities and royalties one way or another, we’re rather out of place yet they put us there, and I know full well how that felt, and it’s bothersome. I’m way stronger than all of them yet they are bigger in number so getting rid of them will be quite difficult and not worth it.

 

#####

 

“There you all are” I said seeing the squad together in their living quarters, doesn’t look half bad either, how much resources this place have? It’s probably Yeig’s doing, considering how it feels like she could do anything including fancying up place for warriors. They all noticed me and surprised by my appearance no doubt.

“W-What are you doing here Miss Belphi?” The stand-out cat boy said. He’s the one leading the group most of the time.

“Vermilla will be busy for a while so I might as well come here on my own accord, or is my presence unwelcomed?” I asked with a threatening smile.

“N-No not at all! Right everyone?” He asked his crew. I’m not certain if there’s any designated leader here but he sure acts like one, and everyone agreed.

“That aside since I have free time today I choose to check on you all, hopefully not slacking since she’ll probably kill you for it” I jokingly stated much to their horror.

“I very much am not” The cat boy said, and everyone else nodded.

“Good to hear… so anyway is there any place interesting I could go to? With the free time and all” I asked.

“Well I do not have any idea myself, this place is shrouded in woods so it’s hard to find anything noteworthy” He replied.

“As for me I can’t see a damn thing outside as well” A giant man with some bear features said.

“Same here Miss” A blonde dog girl said. Everyone else stays quite so they probably have nothing to say.

“Well then, guess I have to find some entertainment elsewhere… or maybe a flower field” I speak out loud.

“A what now?” The cat boy asked.

“Flower field” I replied with a straight face. I don’t think that’s much of a big deal.

“Um… nothing on that either, my apologies” He said as everyone nod their heads.

“Bummer, anyway do you have anything at all interesting to share?” I asked starting to lose my enthusiasm while glaring at them.

“N-None at all” The cat boy said stuttering slightly. Is he hesitating? Was that a lie?

… 

One way to found out. Opening my right hand and have it stretched out reaching for them. Mana surging around me.

“[Buste-”

“P-Please don’t go that farrrrr!!!” He pleaded cutting me off sounding extremely desperate. Maybe he wasn’t lying? Well the spell charging right in their face was half-assed any so it should barely do any damage… I think, so maybe he realize that?... Let’s just assume he’s telling the truth for now and if he isn’t then I’ll fire a spell at him later.

“I’ll believe you, for now” I said teasingly.

“Haa… Please don’t be act the general, it’s terrifying” He said, well pleading to be more exact.

“Well I have to let out my frustration somewhere, so I won’t make any promises” I jokingly said once again, but this one they definitely don’t see it as such.

“Anyhow… what are you doing at moment?” I asked.

“Ah, we’re still taking a break, we aren’t assigned to anyway just yet” He answered. This group seems to be her personal force so they’re probably for important occasions, though she probably could managed everything with better efficiency than all of them combined, maybe she just couldn’t be bothered with whatever conflicts happened down here personally.

“So how do missions get assigned anyway? For the sake of my curiosity” I asked.

“There are patrols about who should managed any conflict that appears, of course there are schedule as to which group is assigned to where and what time, our group specifically is a special unit for dangerous situations since our group is personally trained by the general herself” He explained.

“Not to brag but our unit is leagues above the rest, of course compared to you and her we’re nothing” The blonde dog girl added looking smug at first but immediately backpedaled mentioning the gap between them and us.

“Isn’t that right, well you are all certainly more competent than most I have met” I replied. The stronger you are the more opponents you gonna face, I know this full well from experience.

“Those you’ve face… ah right, you lived with humans before, so how scary are they? If I may asked” The cat boy asked.

“The way you phrased it is… nevermind, they’re all unimpressive I would say, nothing noteworthy came to mind, there’re a lot of soldiers and adventurers and all that, but it’s more quantity over quality compared to here” I answered. It’s actually one of the reason I stop adventuring, there were little to no challenge, so it doesn’t feel worth it to do so anymore, also why coming here rekindled it, people here are definitely stronger, even those of lower standing is better than a good deal of them there.

“Really? How do they even get by? I mean chasing us all the way out here” The bear man asked.

“Can’t you take a guess? That faction have numbers by their side, if not we wouldn’t be here” The swallow girl in the back said frustratingly.

“We demi-humans here are all that’s left right? Humans exist all over the world by comparison, no way we all could go up against such a big number” The sparrow girl next to her added.

“Okay okay I get” The bear man replied.

“Well that aside… what is the foundation of this place? This law enforcement” I asked. I have no doubts that due to the little difference between both side such a group will pop up eventually, but it’s still something I want to know about, I read a lot of books and gain knowledge on many subjects, but nothing on this side.

“All I know is that the general have a major role in it and that it was founded about a decade or so after people evacuated here” The cat boy said. If we’re talking about after the last war then about 190 years ago, so it was created after the very last war, I thought demi-humans exist for much longer than that, was they living primitively until just then? Who could’ve put an end to that? Or was it simply desperation? A lot of things that could be considered and considering someone who live during that time exist the answer is surprisingly easy to get, which make the whole things feel way less mysterious to put it bluntly, but I don’t imagine Vermilla actually saying anything on the manner, she seems secretive on some topic.

“Interesting… Well that’s about the all I’m curious about… so I guess I’ll get going since nothing is happening here” I said turning and walking back home, which is in a castle… which is still so surreal…

 

#####

 

Back in my room and… what the heck is that? A small tablet of glass? And with it another letter, let’s see what it said.

I’m created a device for communication and other conveniences, you have to figure everything out on your own for now since I’m busy helping Verm-Chan.

 

  • Yeig

 

She just dropped the device on the table and expect me to figure it out myself with zero instruction… it’s a black glass covered by shiny material, there’s a button in a few places as well. Should I even try to use this?

If it’s anything like the other devices she installed here it’s probably just pushing some buttons and let the magic happen, I mean might as well.

What button does what? What does the top one do?

*Click*

Ah! The glass brighten up… ‘press home to open’? Which one is that?

*Click*

Not the same one for certain, the glass goes black again. Maybe the one at the bottom of the glass?

*Click* *Click*

Okay now it displays something different, gonna have a lot of trial and error on this…

 

#####

 

I give up, I think it’s better to have someone help me out on this.

These items people here have are way too advanced it make no sense… Well unless one reads about the reincarnators, there is a good deal of evidence that some of the conveniences we have are from them, since they’re commonly from a different time altogether, so they could be from the future where everything is much more advanced and convenient if not complicated at first glance. Perhaps there is someone who is a reincarnator here, though maybe something even more ridiculous than that.

Well I think it’s time to call it quit for now, at least it seems it can tell time so that’s helpful, it’s almost midday and time for lunch, and with it another stupidity convenient service came into play. At this section of the room for preparing meal there are buttons that literally summons food, it seems to be in limited quantity but the food that came out doesn’t seem to be spoiled or dulled in quality at all when it’s stored, and there are multiple things that can be ordered, I can tell who made such a system, it’s just way out of this world. I’ll just get some tea and this thing called ramen, remind me of pasta but clearly not the same.

*Click* *Click*

 

#####

 

Even getting rid of these bowls and such are easy as well, just plop it on this part of the counter and it’ll be gone and probably cleaned.

*Zoom*

It all completely disappeared. Now then what to do next. How is the flower doing? Let’s see…

“...Heh” I let out seeing the flower trying to move by itself, it seems to have gained some sort of sentience since yesterday, or it was always there and I didn’t noticed. It can move its body around somewhat but nothing that can really harm me. I wonder if it can do more, but maybe I should wait and see for the time being.

That aside I wonder if their training are done at this time… Well I have to wait and see I supposed, nothing else that can really be done.

Well in case anyone isn’t following me which is likely. I made a video about the story. First Book First Chapter. It’s for fun and hopefully some of you like it.
https://youtu.be/rNXChi4TPDU

8