Book 2: Chapter 14: Lord: Night of Thoughts
287 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Haa… what a rough day” I said looking at the stars at the balcony. Winds blowing by and lack of people around giving off the air of peacefulness.

“Well it is for you at any rate” Ah, Kaa-san is here again. Walking to me and stand there waiting for my response.

“Hi Kaa-san. Is there anything you want to ask of me?” I said. The feast is still going on and I’ll join back soon, so there should be no need to come see me personally at this time without some sort of urgency.

“Nothing along those line. However I do want to share my finding regarding your lover’s family history” She said sounding a bit coy. Why mention this now? Perhaps with the collapse of the family that will ensue with the lost of that heirloom she thought talking about it before its downfall will be a good idea? Why is she interested in sharing Rosia’s family history? Something just nagging it me. There was a connection that I could tell between all of us but zero evidence as to how or why. My memories being shotty as it is may have something to do with it.

“Go ahead, I’ll listen” I replied sounding cautious, it’s not exactly a light topic.

“Putting on a bit of a serious air today huh? Well the house of Gretaliza established right at the end of the previous Demon Lord war, one of the companion of the Hero, or was that person the Hero? A question people of that time wondered, but that’s not important, what is important is that major player in the war received great privilege from the king at the time, however that person never married and never have an heir, with the line actually continuing from that person’s sister” Kaa-san said. 

“And how is that important?” I asked.

“Well the legitimacy of the successor thereafter is rather shallow as a result, as titles are hereditary, with many people doubting if they have the right to be of nobility, the only thing really holding them together is the prospect of the legendary sword which they can’t even use properly. If it were to be stolen, in the eyes of the people and probably even the king now will be seen more as a sign of their illegitimacy than just simple thievery, as a prophecy or rather an excuse to get rid of their position, their position is a powerful one but on an extremely flimsy foothold, if you and Rosia stole the sword and its disappearance were to be known, it’ll crumble, and crumble fast, it doesn’t help that the contribution of the house is not exactly what one would call impressive, unlike what the founder demonstrated” She elaborated. That’s one really specific thing to point out, she’s withholding information and it’s so obvious it’s distracting.

“Are you sure that’s all you have to say” I asked.

“Perhaps I’ll have more to say, if you could bother putting in some effort tomorrow” She ominously said as she walk back.

I should as well…

 

#####

 

“So what did Kaa-san said to you?” Rosia asked as we’re in our bedroom, she’s not in the mood to do the deed today, as to be expected. We both sit on different end of the bed, me on the right facing the window and her on the left.

“Something about the founder not having an heir, so the present generation of the household have a terrible foothold on their position” I answered.

“I see. Well I have heard about that, but I guess it’s true if Kaa-san said so” Rosia replied. I’m not certain as to how it ended up with us doing both the tournament and some sort of revenge plot, but that’s how it goes, really it’s those two who spur us into doing so, but still no clear plan as to what to do…

“Rosia, if we were to steal the blade it would be in our best interest to scout the area ourselves right? In fact at the late of an hour we could probably do so now, stealing the thing I mean” I suggested.

“Perhaps, but from what those two said they want us to do both the tournament and the heist almost simultaneously, a challenge as you pointed out, I think they have something prepared for us if we do just as they said” Rosia retort. It’s certainly true that they might prepare something for that time, but would it be good for us or not? They’re planning something, probably with the script write down and everything, Kaa-san usually managed these kind of things by herself, these grand revelations or climatic reveal, but it seems like Mom goes along with it and know full well what’s going on this time, usually she doesn’t meddle with these dramatics, that’s what puzzled me.

“Yeah true enough, still if we were to have any chance of doing so undetected I believe we should get a head start” I replied. If we can at least access the dungeon the sword is stored in then we can go in and out as often as we needed.

“Indeed, so shall we go now then?” Rosia asked.

“But of course” I replied with a grin. Then take her hand.

“Whoa-”

*Zoom*

“That was a bit sudden” Rosia commented. Well I guess it was. Anyway we’re outside the capital right now.

“I think the best way to go about this is to… eh we’ll just fly over” I said.

*Flap* *Fly*

And so we both fly over the massive wall that really won’t protect them. The streets are somewhat lit and all, but no one should see us all the way up here, people usually don’t look straight up most of the time.

“So where is this mansion or whatever?” I asked.

“It should be near the castle, I don’t know much beyond that” Rosia replied. Guess we have to get looking.

“Okay then, let’s go searching” I said. 

“Remember, jewel heart symbol” Rosia said before flying off. Guess she means the symbol of the household.

*Fly*

I’ll never get tired of flying, it’s one thing anyone would want when in a land of fantasy, good thing we can see in the dark, otherwise things will get complicated fast.

Where to start… Rosia fly toward the right side of the castle, knowing her she probably think it’s most likely there so really I probably would come up with nothing, but might as well take a look on the other side.

Nothing of note here, some fancy places about but nothing resembling the symbol she described. Would be in my best interest to met back up with her at this moment.

There she is. Seems she noticed me as well.

“Anything on your end?” I asked flying close to her.

“Yes, I found the target, down there” Rosia said pointing at the mansion with the symbol clearly engraved on some part of it. Now the hard part is to get in undetected, or at least unable to be traced back to us.

“Well let’s go down there shall we?”

*Land* *Rustle*

Whoops.

“Huh? What was that!” A guard said hearing our landing and waking toward us.

“Damn you Maova” Rosia immediately said.

*Beam*

“Ahhh! My eyes!!!” The man screamed.

“What are you doing!?” Rosia asked almost screaming at me.

“What? I shot him in the eyes so he won’t see us” I explained trying to sound nonchalant. Rosia just stared at me funny.

“Okay fine maybe that was a bit much, sorry okay?” I said walking over to the guard.

*Smack* *Drop*

“This is awful” Rosia commented. Well the guard is down so whatever. Oh wait there will be more coming this way aren’t there? I can hear footsteps of them all coming this way.

“Let’s retreat for the time being” I said smiling wryly.

“Obviously” Rosia remarked in a way that is basically scowling.

*Zoom*

I teleport us outside the capital, no one else is around thankfully.

“So what should we do with this man?” I asked looking at the guy collapsed onto the floor.

“Kill him and store his remains” Rosia answered with a straight face.

“Well that’s one option” I said pondering on our options. Maybe we could get some information out of him… well he’s a guard outdoors so he probably don’t know much.

“Any another ideas?” Rosia sarcastically asked.

“Eh, I mean aside from experimenting on him maybe” I mindlessly replied. Like using corruption on him or something… actually that doesn’t sound too bad.

“What are you doing?” Rosia asked seeing me crouching down and inspect the guy.

“Corruption of course” I said no doubt with a grin on my face.

“I see” Rosia replied without any question.

*Grab*

“Let’s see here” I said. What could he be made into? There’s a few things he could became I supposed, from boring old demons with no discernible difference from humans, or higher tiers one with wings and tails and the like, unlike humans there are subraces and tiers to the demons, demi-human also have something similar if saying there’s a definitive tiers each subraces fall under wouldn’t really be accurate. Demons of higher tiers have special abilities and power to manipulate more abstract and conceptual existence that humans  thought only the gods could perform, vampire with blood, incubus and succubus with lust, timorbas with fear, the list goes on, anyway that aside time for some corruption.

Darkness and light engulf the guard, I can’t be bothered to choose what he’ll be so who knows what he’ll actually be.

“Huh… a parfol” I said dully considering it’s nothing particularly noteworthy.

“What is even a parfol anyway? What’s with the wings on the guy’s head and back?” Rosia asked.

“Parfol is a type of demon with a set of head wings and regular wings, that’s about it. Their back wings is a bit small compared to ours but it’s still functional with enough practice and effort. In term of the hierarchy they’re above regular demons but that’s it. Above average, best way to describe them” I explained. Of course with enough effort even the weakest of races can reach godly peak, but I’m talking about the ordinary here. Still I wonder if there’s anything to be done with him.

“Say you aren’t seriously considering bringing him back right?” Rosia asked.

“Well if we leave him here things will escalate really quickly, I think it’s in our best interest to bring him back” I replied. 

“Can’t we just throw him into the house and cause troubles? So we can get in undetected with attention onto him” Rosia suggested. I mean that’ll still cause an uproar so I’m not too sure about that.

“Maybe conscripts him to our service isn’t the worst idea, but using him to cause havoc might not be our best option” I replied.

“Ugh, just do whatever” Rosia frustratingly said... I think Kaa-san would be fine dealing with one more demons, doesn’t look like she’ll have any problem with just one more.

“Guess I’ll bring her to Kaa-san then we’ll continue with the scouting” I said carrying the guy over the shoulder.

“Do I have to tolerate this guy every day?” Rosia asked sounding really whiny.

“What? He probably would be around but it’s not like he’ll do anything” I replied.

“...Can’t you modify him so he’ll explode and die or something?” Rosia said. What’s up with her?

“Why are you opposing this so much? I’ll make sure he’s under control okay?” I asked.

“I can’t stand males” She bluntly replied…

I don’t know that is the case, she doesn’t seem have these kind of reaction any other instance.

“Really? You doesn’t seem to find them repulsive before” I replied.

“There’s a difference between meeting up with one for a short while and having one in our household. Besides you have seen me interact with a man personally once” She retort. It is true though that we didn’t encounter many males during the quest, let alone one where Rosia hold a conversation with a behave around. Still the behavior is still a bit extreme even for someone not liking males, but I’m not going to question it.

“That’s the sole reason why you don’t want him around?” I asked for clarification.

“Yes” She bluntly stated. Guess I have to find a work around that or kill him off.

“And how do you suggest bringing him along without killing him?” I asked.

“Why can’t you think about it yourself? Don’t you have all sorts of skills at your disposal?” Rosia noted. Right, I can modify demons, I can control them, influence them as I see fit. Oh I got an idea. 

Placing him down again I prepare another waves of change, I have never tried something of this scale but all the more reason to experiment with it. Let’s see… once again something engulfed the individual undergoing change and obscure the process somewhat.

“What are you doing now?” Rosia curiously asked if still sounding a bit tensed.

“You’ll see” I replied.

The scene clear and what can be seen is the same person shrinking by many centimeters, the brown hair now longer and limbs slimmer.

“That guy lost almost a foot in height” Rosia noted. Well that’s not all ‘he’ lost.

“Well is this satisfactory?” I asked holding the demon girl up and let Rosia inspect her in full.

“This’ll work” Rosia replied without much on a reaction, even though she’s inspecting the body very closely and attentively right now... After a while she stops.

“Then I’ll deliver her to Kaa-san, wait here alright?” I said.

“No need to tell me” She replied.

*Zoom* *Zap* *Slash* *Crash*

The heck!? Was that a telefrag!? The security is real tight here huh. Is the girl okay? Yep she is, seems like it was mainly me the caster who took the brunt of that trap. Still I guess that should’ve been expected from Kaa-san. I’ll just cast a sleep spell on her and drop her off next to the mirror… yep this’ll do, and in case of another trap being set up for leaving, I’ll leave through the door-

*Shock*

Gafuu!? Even the door have spells on it! This is trickier than I thought!

 

#####

 

*Zoom*

“Haa… Haaa… I’m back” I said feeling tired.

“What the hell happened?” Rosia asked.

“Kaa-san’s room.. full of traps… super dangerous” I explained.

“Really? Guess even someone of her level isn’t above putting in security measures. Regardless of that are you fine?” She said. 

“Yeah I’ll live, thankfully no sealing spells were fired off so any spells we might need that I have are all available” I replied. The spells are extremely overkill in terms of power, not even sure how I got out of that somewhat fine.

“Then let’s get a move on” Rosia said.

“Right” I replied.

*Flap*

 

#####

 

“Thanks to your action guards are everywhere on high alert” Rosia said pointing out the great deal of guards flocking and searching. Of course they won’t find anything since we’re up here.

“Yeah maybe that was my bad, but at least they’re all in the same place” I noted.

“Your point being?” Rosia asked.

Time to do a little magic, as in sleeping magic. Casting onto them a wide area sleeping spell, and then all of them collapsed.

*Land*

“Guess you can do something like that” Rosia commented.

“I might not be the smartest person out there but Kaa-san’s a sage and so am I, Magic of all kind is our specialty” I boasted.

“Yeah yeah let’s just get in” Rosia replied sounding bored and out of it. Walking and inspecting where we could go in. As for me I searched the bodies for maybe a key or something of use, nothing came up.

“So anyway in?” I asked still crouching down looking at Rosia.

“Not really unless you’re want us to break our way in, however can’t you use your space magic to get in somehow?” Rosa replied. I mean I guess I can, using warp to travel short distances shouldn’t be a problem. Standing back up and walking toward her, now is the time to try just that.

“Should be plausible” I answered.

“Then let’s try it” Rosia said. Well it’s now or never with this.

*Zoom*

“Works out perfectly” I said seeing the process went as planned. Still where do we go from here? Where’s the basement?

“So where is this basement?” I asked. 

“Hmm… I think it’s… Well the entrance is in the main hall here, I however can’t remember which is the way in, it’s well hidden” Rosia answered. So I have to inspect what’s here huh… Where are all the cliché spot for the way in again? Maybe it’s under the carpet… nope. Under this desk? Nope. Under the stairs? Yep.

“Here it is” I replied, it’s not easy to see but this is the way in, so how do I open it? 

“Great job, though how do we get in?” Rosia asked. Footsteps can be heard.

“Before that” I said.

*Snap* *Drop*

Gestures aren’t necessary to cast spells much like with speech, but it help augmented it somewhat. Well with other guards out of commission it’s time to continue. It needs a key but I have none… then let’s try this… 

*Swing* *Drop*

“What terrific precision” Rosia commented. I cut into the gap in the door and therefore cut any locks keeping it closed. It would be better to use something else I’d imagine, but how could I not try breaking in with sword play? Katana play to be more specific.

“I know right? Let’s get in” I said as I walk into the depths.

 

#####

 

*Shoot*

“These things are weak” Rosia noted shooting them down with her light spells. Nothing really interesting happened here, any possible trap we simply warped passed, and any monsters we came across died in a single hit from anything.

“This ended up rather anti-climatic isn’t it. Well the sword should be here somewhere…” I replied. Looking around the hallway there’s nothing of worth, so the only option is forward.

“Is that it?” I asked. At the end of the road is a room isolated from everything else, there are clearly magical formulas casted here as traps, but it’s a non issue.

“[Dispel]” I commanded and everything break down. All that’s left is the sword planted on its altar. The cross-guard golden in color, the brown handle, the blade made of some kind of metal, it doesn’t look too different from a regular sword, but one irregularity is its gem, pink in color and cut into a shape of a heart, as the sword is planted down now it is very much apparent.

“Say Rosia, does this sword have a name?” I asked.

“Suemosa… No nevermind” Rosia replied then deny.

“Hm? What’s the matter?” I asked puzzled at her statement.

“Nothing. The sword have a name, but it’s said that the founder never shared its true name for whatever reason” Rosia answered. Then what was that name she just mentioned?

“Then what’s with that name?” I asked.

“Just a name that slipped out, pay it no heed” There’s no clear dishonesty is her words but that doesn’t mean that’s all there is to it.

“Still this sword is supposedly legendary in power, I wonder if that’s really true or not. We just have to try it out later” I said, taking a closer look at it but didn’t actually touch the thing.

“Right, so do we go back now?” Rosia asked.

“After we cover our tracks then we’ll get back” I replied.

“Okay then” Rosia said.

 

#####

 

“So we won’t do it today” I asked for clarification.

“Now you’re complaining about me not doing you in?” Rosia snarked.

“Just asking… I guess not” I replied. Well time to get a good rest in and apply for the tournament. This’ll be fun… hopefully. I sure will make it fun if it turns out to not be.

Ah yes. More Youtube stuff. Book 1 Chapter 2. I probably won’t make anymore.

8