Book 2: Chapter 15: Lord: Tournament Day
253 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A new dawn arrived. It’s probably best for us to leave early and inspect the situation, using area-of-effect sleep spells might fool and confuse some people, but no doubt a mage or two will figure out someone cast a spell there, and being aware of someone who is powerful enough to do such a thing will put that family on high alert. They won’t be able to do anything against us, but then again nobles will ended up annoying one way or another. Thinking about it now no one could really stand up against us, at least not very likely, still it’s not a bad idea to be cautious even if one is overpowered.

“Maova. Are we really just going to fight in the tournament, steal the blade, and then left?” Rosia asked sitting on the other side of the bed.

“What else is there to do? I mean doing flashy things sound mighty fine and all but that’ll just bring more trouble more than likely” I replied.

“If you say so” Rosia responded. I have to agree that trying to have fun while trying to not pull any stunts is really not my style, but considering the possible risk involved, mainly that guy, it just isn’t worth it… unless I can convince him somehow…

“Well I have to check up with Kaa-san if that’s alright” I said.

“Don’t take too long” She replied. Right, this time don’t forcibly teleport in.

*Zoom*

Okay, now outside the room, need to make sure to not trip anything up.

*Knock* *Knock*

No magical response there thankfully.

*Open*

“Oh hi Maova, anything you want to discussed before your showdown?” Kaa-san asked… where did that parfol go?

“No need to make it sound so grand Kaa-san. I just want to ask you something before we leave” I replied still looking around subtly.

“Oh? And what is it that you want to know?” Kaa-san asked.

“You probably know a lot of people right? Is there anyone who might hunt me down? Possibly have even a slight chance of killing me? If I were to pull any stunts that is” I asked. That’s not the main thing I want to ask but it’s still something important to be aware of.

“Hmm… not as far as I’m aware, and even then those who might try to target you I’ll deal with them myself” Kaa-san replied. She sounds quite confident there.

“But if… a literal planet is out to get me would that even work?” I asked.

“A literal planet?... You must be speaking of Terra” Kaa-san responded, so she know of him.

“Would he try to get rid of me?” I asked.

“Of course not. He’s a neutral party, he might be a former human but he’s still very much removed from them. Besides just a kingdom gone won’t really be much of a loss in his eyes anyway” Kaa-san explained. Is that really true? So much for not going around terrorizing them speech, maybe he want to give a more righteous air to himself?

“Well that’s good to know” I replied. I mean I don’t really plan on killing anyone in this event, or at least not a lot, some blood are needed to paint the stage but excessive amount and the whole thing will just turn into a mess, but I guess if destroying a kingdom is fine then something on the smaller scale would probably not agitate him, I hope…

“I’ll make sure no outside interference get in. Just don’t do anything too crazy and make the show short lived okay?” Kaa-san said. She really isn’t concerned about me potentially causing chaos and killing some people it seems.

“I’ll keep that in mind” I replied… wasn’t I thinking about something else as well?... Oh right!

“Kaa-san what happened to that parfol?” I asked.

“If you’re talking about that blonde miss you put in the living room, she’s in the dungeon with the ungaikyo” She answered. Well that has to be expected, guess she got tired of seeing that mirror everyday and store her there. Of course we have a dungeon because what kind of self-respecting villain lair doesn’t have one, that thought of sarcasm aside I wonder how much of this was already built-in or Kaa-san add it in during her stay.

“I see” I replied.

“Ah! Before I forgot, since you might want to play villain to get extra laughs at everyone expense, don’t forgot you can modified your body as you see fit” Kaa-san said, that is certainly true, and I should keep that in mind.

“Thanks for the heads up Kaa-san” I replied.

“And one last thing. Using this power you can gain the strength of all demonkind, it’s broken but hey, you do you” She added… it’s somewhat disturbing to hear that to be honest, becoming so powerful in a few moments, I’m not sure if I’m ready or have the capability to jump the wagon like that… well I have to cross that bridge when I get there.

“Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind” I replied somewhat seriously, it’s not a topic to be taken lightly.

“Good luck!” She said cheering me on.

*Zoom*

And now I’m back here in my room. Rosia is still in here as well.

“So. Is it time to go?” Rosia asked.

“Yep” I replied reaching my hand out and her responding in kind.

*Zoom*

Now we’re outside the capital. It’s early in the morning and there’s actually some people about traveling here, thankfully no one sees us.

“Okay, time to get in” I said. Taking the lead and walk along with Rosia to the capital gate.

“Show us your identification” A soldier at the gate said, and we both show him our guild cards.

“You both may pass” He responded. 

 

#####

 

“Seems a bit festive despite the incoming calamity do you not agree?” Rosia asked. There are many food stands, many people walking about, and the colosseum not too far off in the distance. Right now we are near the center of the town, and the colosseum is located at the north eastern part of the capital, it’s definitely like a festival, which I supposed is a way of giving people more hope, that they definitely won’t be easily wiped out of existence by one person, because that’ll be boring.

“Yeah it’s a bit odd. You would think people would be a bit more tensed, then again being sulky all the time isn’t healthy” I replied. We haven’t actually registered just yet, so we probably should do that as soon as possible, then actually inspect this event a bit more.

“Well you probably think the same thing as I do, let’s register before things get troublesome” Rosia said.

“Right” I replied.

 

#####

 

“Alright the registrations for you both is all done, good luck in the tournament” The man managing the registration said, guess expecting a cute girl as a receptionist every time was a bit much, even Rosia look disappointed. There’s unfortunately nothing to be done, I could forcibly changed his gender but that’s just extremely disappropriate for being mildly disappointed.  

We both walk out of the place, it’ll be in about three hours that the tournament will go underway. The rules are the basic don’t kill and such, ring out isn’t a thing though, so it’s beaten until or near unconscious, or forfeit, it’s rather barbaric when one think about it, but people don’t exactly ring out in a real battle anyway, which the winner will no doubt be expected to do, still there might be some death about, at which point I’m not sure how well the organizers will be received by the public.

“Since we have a lot of time to spare how about finding something to eat?” I asked.

“That’s fine with me, still what will you actually do?” She asked in return.

“Soon Rosia. I’ll have something in mind” I said as I lead the way, time to relax for now.

 

#####

 

“Hm? Oh a familiar face” I commented seeing the crimson pair again, and they noticed us as well and approach us.

“Hey there, I didn’t expect to see you again, considering how many people disappeared or evacuated out of the capital after that earthquake” The tall woman with her bang covering her right eye said. 

“Oh mind you I did left, I just came back after hearing about this tournament” I replied, meanwhile both her partner and Rosia stay silent.

“So you’ll be participating? I guess that has to be expected, I could tell at a glance you’re much more than you seem. Call it an intuition if you will” She responded. Hopefully she doesn’t see anything beyond that. 

“So will you two participate as well?” I asked. Considering their armors it’s clear they both have at least experience combat, I doubt they simply wear them for other reason, it’s for battle, not necessarily a fashion sense.

“Ah, we’re both not interested in taking up the mantle of a hero, we’ll perhaps watch the tournament but certainly not participating” She replied. 

“I see. Well if there’s nothing else to add I guess it’s time for us to part way” I said. 

“Very well” She replied and walk off along with her partner sister person.

“Guess we’ll go our way as well” I said.

“Yes. Let’s” She replied.

 

#####

 

As we sit down at a table and eat some food they have, grilled meat, bread, and other stuff, nothing particularly noteworthy.

“Say Rosia, you might be wondering about my plan for the day, but do you not have any?” I asked. She visibly stunted for a second, I think even if she doesn’t have any plan she could just improvise or think of one on the spot.

“I can’t really think of anything more than using that sword to personally destroy the place” Rosia replied.

“That sword… Suemosa was it called… I know it’s a legendary blade but are you sure you can even use it properly? Would it be more effective even if its power can’t be used?” I asked. If the privilege of using the weapon was hereditary then she would no doubt be able to use it, but no one else before her except the founder can, so that’s not it.

“Who knows? But I have a feeling I can” She replied, she sounds quite confident about it as well, even if she doesn’t seem to be fully aware of what she’s saying.

“Okay then, don’t get caught okay? Me causing ruckus will cause enough trouble to deal with already” I said.

“Hear hear” She replied. 

 

#####

 

Now we’re in the waiting room, it’s quite spacious all things considered, there’s so many people about and the room is somewhat loud, people here are just incapable of keeping quiet it seems.

“Ain’t this a sight to behold” I sarcastically quipped.

“You said it” She replied. It’s almost the time to start and I have to wonder if the announcer’s voice can even cut through this place.

*Nom*

“Rosia what you eating?” I asked feeling concerned considering what I saw.

“What?... It’s just…”

*Crunch* *Gulp*

“A human finger, I ate it as a snack, this one specifically is that of the scout girl” She finished. No one else saw that right?... Doesn’t seem to be the case. Now I’m reminded of the fact that she eats people, she doesn’t have to yet she does it anyway, she certainly take this in stride.

“You know if people saw you do that things will get dicey real fast right?” I asked.

“I don’t think their unrestricted self can be bothered to pick up on anything” She replied. 

“Really don’t have much faith in them do you? Well let’s not swat them down like flies in the tournament okay? Need them to show some entertainment” I said. 

“Everyone! The preliminary rounds are about to begin, those who participate in round one come to the stage!” A staff announced. Since there are over 200 people participating, both the weak and the strong, this is a fast way of weeding out the weak quickly and left the one-on-one for the strong. Honestly there’s no way in hell this tournament is a good way of identifying the destined hero, and that’s not just because I killed her, but there’s always an off chance someone even more powerful than the destined to appear. Really I don’t even know if anyone know how the Hero operates, I think it’s more of them trying to found someone to be labeled as such so the public won’t panic. Anyway neither Rosia or I belong in the first round, but I do think I might as well go watch what’s taking place, the fighters have their own area for viewing the events.

“Say Rosia, how about we watch the first match unfold?” I asked.

“Not interested, but I shall accompany you nonetheless” She said. Well it’s time to watch the humans battle it out, it’ll be the first time as well.

 

#####

 

“Start!” A man announced and ten or so people immediately rushed in.

Many of them really don’t stand out to me. This one will be quite boring I would say, just a bunch of muscle heads.

 

#####

 

“Yeah!” The man winning round said, he’s the generic bald guy with quite a gain on him, not impressed in the slightest.

“That was extremely underwhelming” Rosia said. I couldn’t agree more.

“Indeed” Someone next to us said. A young man with well-kept long orange hair and eyes, he wields a rapier and his clothes are elegant if doesn’t look like it’ll impede his mobility much, it’s enchanted as well. Some sort of nobleman?

“Yeah, what a bore, hopefully the ‘hero’ isn’t someone that disappointing” I added.

“We can only hope so, otherwise we stand no chance against the incoming threat” The young man replied. Just who is he anyway.

“Might be a bit rude of me to ask but why did you suddenly involved yourself in our conversation?” I asked.

“Ah my apologies, loud and obnoxious adventurers are everywhere in this place, so I thought of coming here and converse with you who both seems civilized to calm myself” He said. Also at this point and time Rosia already moves away from the guy. She leans more on being cautious and paranoid than simple misandry with this action, I’m suspicious of him as well, if only because his nobleman aesthetic doesn’t make him naturally hard to approach or be approached by, so him being here with us is quite out of the ordinary.

“Can’t argue there, while using the prospect of the tournament to bring out the Hero isn’t the worst idea, but the fact that people from all kind of place became aware of it means that the uneducated lower-class will flock to the event as well” I replied. I sound like a classist there, but considering who I’m talking to saying it in that manner might make him look at me favorably, as wrong as that sounds.

“Say. You’re a unfamiliar face, may I inquire your name?” He asked. 

“Maova. My last name I cannot give, as it means nothing here coming from a faraway land” I said. He seems to think of me as a noble or someone of higher class, so might as well roll with that.

“If you choose not to grant me that knowledge it is fine with me, I am Yutal Trania. The successor to my household” Hold on… Trania? Trania… Trania… where have I heard of that before… Yu… Hold on!... Compose yourself Maova… and not show any sign.

“Ahem… Trania you say?” I asked.

“Yes, have you heard of it?” He replied.

“Hmm… Well perhaps it’s a bit out of nowhere for you to know, but I visit this place once before, and back then I encountered a girl with that very same last name, a relative of yours perhaps?” I said. Let’s see how he reacts.

“A girl… is her name Yuuna per chance?” He asked sounding rather vulnerable, what I like to see.

“Yes, I think… it was before the earthquake hits that I got acquainted” I answered trying to sound natural, like something they can’t quite recall.

“No luck there” He mumbled to himself, he doesn’t make any amusing face unfortunately.

“Excuse me?” I asked once again trying to sound oblivious to the obvious, she’s no longer here, she’s with me, he probably believe she died or was kidnapped.

“Ah, it’s… nothing, well I hope my sister doesn’t leave bad impression on you I hope” He replied.

“No not at all” I said with a smile.

“Begin!” A man shouted. Guess it’s round two, which none of us here participate in it seems.

“Well. This have been quite a… pleasing conversation miss Maova, but perhaps I should go gather my thought elsewhere” He said.

“Oh no need to flatter me, see you soon” I replied, and he quickly excuse himself.

“You, what plan do you have for him?” Rosia asked, who stop distancing herself.

“Heh, I wonder, I can’t really be certain about that” I replied teasingly.

“Regardless… Let us not get too ahead of ourselves” She noted. Indeed, we can’t be too reckless or hasty in our approach, that’ll just suck the fun out of everything, and that’s not what I want at all, need to bid my time and think a bit ahead. Now let’s continue to watch these humans struggling.

I set up a Patreon so if anyone wants to support me you can go do that.

Also the comment sections for many chapters so far are definitely barren I would say, pretty lonely honestly.

9