Book 2: Chapter 18: Lord: Teasing Intention
234 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

And this round was boring in comparison, mainly because everyone looked so down, I really expect at least some of them to be too brave to back down, but I guess that’s not the case.

 

#####

 

*Yawn*

“It’s so painful to watch through every other round after that, I didn’t even get a good look at the winner” I commented.

“You were dozing off the entire time pretty much” Rosia added.

“Everyone! The brackets will be arranged and presented in half an hour! Then ten minutes to prepare! Any victors who might be injured please check in the with the medical staff downstairs!” A man informed. We’re very much fine, achieving no-damage run I would say.

“Guess we’ll go elsewhere for now” I said to Rosia.

“Yes, let us do so” She replied.

 

#####

 

“So do you think any of them need any appraisal?” Rosia asked, despite no doubt having some capabilities in analysis.

“Nah, that big guy actually doesn’t have that high of a level, his stats were just extremely skewed, as for the priest guy, I doubt someone who believes in something that doesn’t exist can do much, well at least the specific god people here probably worships” I replied explaining my thought process, I’m certain that if that Earth God is the one being worshipped and supposedly guide them along, he probably would have stop me a long time ago or at least mention the fact, but he didn’t.

“Guess it’s smooth sailing from here then” Rosia noted, it certainly would be, keeping it entertaining is another, sure there’s the big event, but I don’t think a story is praised for just a particularly iconic moment alone.

We’re sitting at a table with some food, some a bit more modern than others but otherwise nothing particularly noteworthy, eating before any sporty stuff often isn’t a good idea but honestly it really won’t hamper a demon, a much more resilient being in general.

“Yep… ah, we got company” I said as I noticed two people approaching us, Yuuna’s brother and the priest, I guess both of them saw my performance so they use their time here to approach me.

“Do you have business with us?” Rosia asked callously, not wanting to deal with them no doubt, it’s usually these kinds of people that garnered more trouble than anything else regardless of their circumstances, hopefully that doesn’t actually hold up in reality.

“To be frank, we’re both blown away by the performance of your friend here, so we would at least like to ascertain you and your friend’s intention, as her… approach wasn’t the most… acceptable so to say” Yuuna’s brother explained.

“And hypothetically if I have ill intentions can you two do anything about it?” I replied, perhaps with a bit of a threatening and teasing glare.

“I cannot speak for him, but I will do everything within my power to stop you two, even if it means killing me” The priest said, never really described his appearance but he’s just a standard looking guy really, unlike the pretty boy to his right.

“I have my role as the next in line of my household, I’m afraid I can’t be anywhere near as self-sacrifice as you, though I would still try to stop anyone from any wrongdoing as well” Yuuna’s brother responded, he seems pretty reasonable so far.

“Well I guess you two won’t be dying today, I’m not planning on doing anything nefarious” I replied casually. They simply ponders there looking quite concerned, they’re both goody-two-shoes in their own right, but at least they’re not complete idiots, otherwise they would’ve been way more aggressive in their confrontation.

“I’ll take your word for it, I personally don’t want to believe anyone to have malicious intent in this tournament at least” Yuuna’s brother said trying to stay calm.

“Same with me as well, may the God above guide you all to the right path” The priest said, I’m more suspicious of his involvement more than anything.

“Say, you’re a member of the religion here aren’t you? Why are you participating?” I asked. 

“So it seems you really are a foreigner like this nobleman said, as for your question I simply want to be a test for the Hero, I want to test their prowess and conviction myself, anyone lower than me don’t deserve such a position” He explained, in other words he believes anyone who should be the Hero should be stronger than someone like him, acting as a stepping stone for them.

“So that’s your reasoning Father Ozi, I have been wondering as well, if dare not to say it myself” Yuuna’s brother chimed in, I guess that’s his name then.

“Well, I can say for myself than some of us are… far from dubious in our action than others, so I can understand why you all would suspect someone of high position such as myself of something unsavory” He replied. I wasn’t expecting that for an answer, he actually admitted that some part of a religious organization is a tad too radical, I doubt anyone would dared to say such a thing.

“My apology if I offended you” Yuuna’s brother responded. 

“No need. Now then, unfortunately despite taking part in the event with a period of rest given, I still can’t take a day off as a man of God, so I must bid you all farewell for now” The priest said and leaves, and it’s just us three.

“...Say, where did your great might even came from? If I may ask?” Yuuna’s brother asked which break the small brief of silence.

“Unfortunately I can’t give you an answer, it is quite confidential” I replied.

“I see… Then I shall be off now as well, sorry for keeping you occupied” He said then take his leave.

“Anyway those two won’t be a problem, by the way did you hide your mana?” I said to Rosia.

“Hm? Why yes of course, Kaa-san certainly drill that into our head” Rosia replied. That priest seems to be a pretty good mage, so he might be able to perceive the strength of us if we don’t keep it in check, mana sometimes passively leaked out and if it’s a lot then that usually means that person is powerful, both perceiving and hiding it isn’t too hard really, I doubt there’s a mage skilled enough to detect all that we have to offers, and even then mana detection aren’t as reliable as the [World System], but caution I think should still be practiced.

“Say Rosia, I personally don’t think much of them, but what about you? Think anyone is worth bringing along?” I asked.

“Not really, and even then you dared to bring a random patrol to our place, I don’t think someone like you have the right to ask on that front” She retort, quite strongly might I add.

“Ouch, lay low on that front okay?” I replied with a weak smile.

“Also if you want to discuss something so sinister I think there’s a better place than this, this spot is far from the public eye but I don’t think it’s anywhere near private enough for such a conversation” Rosia added.

“Okay okay I get it, well I’ll deal with them myself when the time comes” If I found them interesting enough maybe I’ll bring them along, with that guy case it was more for the sake of experimenting than anything else, maybe when they’re ‘dead’ I’ll bring them along.

“You better do as you said. Now then, I supposed we’re just waiting and biding our time” Rosia noted.

“Yeah, it’s going to be pretty boring waiting around but such is life” I replied.

 

#####

 

“Let’s take a look here…” I said as I looked at the bracket for the tournament. It’s been a while and now the bracket is up to see.

Well that’s quite a convenient placing, Rosia and I will be in the finale, while Yuuna’s brother will probably win and have the unfortunate event of facing both of us at once, and probably get pushed aside quickly and eliminated. That seems to be the way this will go.

“Bwahahaha! I’ll get to settle the score with you, you trash! I’ll kill you! I’ll make you beg for mercy! I’ll-”

“Shut it” I calmly said.

“DON’T YOU DARE INTERRUPT ME!!!” Sheesh he’s loud.

“And you should keep your voice down, this is no place for that” I replied calmly.

“Please don’t fight here” Yuuna’s brother said butting in.

“Exactly, you’re being unpleasant” The priest said.

“Yeah shut it big guy!” A random guy said.

“ALL OF YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH OR I’LL KILL YOU!!! The big guy shouted out loud with a few squirming and ran away.

“So can this match happen now so I can shut this guy up?” I casually asked a nearby staff member.

“I’ll… try to arrange that with the higher ups” He said before skipping off elsewhere.

“Hahahaha! Sweet! I’ll get to beat you up quickly, you better beg for forgiveness you-!” 

“Yeah yeah whatever” I nonchalantly replied, cutting him off.

“YOU!!!” He shouted again.

*Punch* *Evade*

“That was the most telegraphed and predictable attack out there, I’m surprised you make pass the preliminary” I nonchalantly dodge the attack and taunt him, he is a massive guy, nearly two meters tall and horizontally large as well, his fist is like a log.

“Please don’t antagonize him further” Yuuna’s brother said looking quite tired of the situation.

“Antagonize? Far from it, that was just a bit of constructive criticism! Perhaps with a little bit of teasing” I playfully said to him while the big guy look hella red.

“YOU BI-”

“All of you stop! We’ll have this match now! You two please step into the ring!” A staff member shouted out wanting this to be over.

“Yes! It’s time to make you beg for mercy!” The big guy said, still completely oblivious to his insignificance. I simply nonchalantly walk into the arena.

*Step* *Dash*

With one little tap from my foot I launched myself to the other side of the arena, with the guy walking in trying to be menacing and all that, still completely confident in himself.

“YOU’RE DEAD!!!” The guy shouted as he rushed in with his axe, no one even got to say anything before the match began.

*Swing* *Evade*

“How boorish” I said in a monotonous voice to show how unimpressed I am.

“YOU!!!” He shouted out as he goes in for another swing.

*Swing* *Hop*

I hopped onto the massive blade of the axe as he swing it.

“How lame” I commented, with his face even more red from anger.

*Leap*

I jump from the blade with a great deal of force behind it, almost pinning the axe to the ground, jumping past the guy to his back, and he turns around still angry, what a man child.

“Now now be a good kid and quell your temper” I said teasingly, if he was a little girl I would probably… hey that sounds like a good idea.

*Swing* *Leap*

I jumped up and toward his face.

*Stomp*

Stomping him in the face and pushing him down onto the floor, then landing back on my feet back to about my original spot.

“Ha! Look at you! This is just too funny” I said with a light-hearted laugh, he slowly gets up with his face in shambles.

“Y-YoU!!!” He screamed out.

*Swing* *Grab* *Bend*

He swung his axe toward me but I caught it with no effort. I bent the axe’s blade making it unusable.

*Throw*

Overpowering him, grabbing his axe and then throwing it away, smashing into the nearby wall.

“Now now, play nice” I said mocking the guy, this has been more fun than expected.

*Punch* *Evade*

He tried to punch me but that does work either, evading it is very easy I’d say.

*Grab* *Slam* *Slam* *Slam*

I grab his arm, lift him up, and slam him into the ground multiple times. It’s a surreal sight to behold for anyone no about, by common sense this shouldn’t happen, a lean woman swinging a muscleman around like a rag doll.

“So how about you start begging for mercy?” I said with a smile on me.

“G-Guh…” He can barely make a sound, I think he’s about to lose consciousness at this stage.

*Throw* *Crash*

And there he goes right into the wall.

“Say referee, I think him being knocked out means I win right?” I said, noticing the referee still observing the situation in shock of what happened.

“Y-Yes! This match is decided! Winner of the preliminary round nine, Maova, emerged victorious!” He said with a bit of a dramatic flare, something needed to keep the hype going, though the sudden rush for the match means there aren’t many people to impress.

“Yeah yeah, I’ll go take a break now, and make sure he behaves” I said as I left the arena, meeting back with Rosia.

“You sure play around quite a bit there” Rosia commented.

“I mean why not? It’s pretty funny I would say” I responded. 

“Honestly people might think you’re the Demon Lord with that kind of action” Rosia said, I mean she’s not wrong on that front but they really have no proof, unless they discriminate against people with pointy ears which I don’t know if they do or not thinking about it now.

“Now don’t be like that, you don’t have the urge to strike me down do you?” I playfully asked in return, knowing that there’s a bit of a story going around about how the Hero and the Demon Lord are able to detect each other, I wouldn’t really say it’s false but it’s more that we both fought many times now it’s just a case of familiarity more often than not, and a hostile one as well.

“No, but perhaps a smack” She replied with a straight face.

“Now now, no need to get violent you hear? That guy was enough as is” I responded with a bit of a worried expression, there were many eyes on us and thankfully neither of us spilled anything discriminating just yet.

“You’re not making this easier on either of us” Rosia said with a sigh, I think now it’s the time to make these people go away.

“Huh? You’re all still here? Please leave us alone, this is hella uncomfortable” I said looking at people observing us, and Rosia turned to look at them as well.

“Have a bit of common sense and respect people’s privacy will you? Maova let’s go” Rosia said with disdain in her eyes before walking off with me following her behind, giving them a sympathetic look before leaving the colosseum for the time being.

“That was quite a stunt I must say” I commented.

“For you maybe, that was just… uncomfortable” She replied.

“Well you gotta deal with it later on as well” I responded, thinking about it now how would we proceed after the tournament? With her blocking my attack and all that, I think people would be in quite a panic still, since she wasn’t meant to effortlessly block it. What could be done…

“No thanks to you” She snarked. 

“Heheheh… yeah well I’m sure it’ll be worth it for you as well” I said trying to cheer her up a little.

“Well this is more for you than it is for me, so no need for such a false reassurance” She said, both cheering me in return and scolding me at the same, terrific.

“Let’s just… go somewhere else to wait for the next match” I said, leading her elsewhere.

 

#####

 

“So… I have heard you made quite a commotion in the tournament already” The crimson-haired woman with a bang over her right eye and a ponytail said, we simply met at one point yet we keep seeing each other, all of us sitting at the same table.

“Yeah, the show has gotten stale so I have to speak my mind” I explained.

“Hmm, perhaps we should have participated after all” She muttered.

“Why is that?” I inquisitively asked.

“Well the guy you defeat was no mere thugs, he was a troublemaker who have a lot of raw strength behind him, very strong, durable, and not half-bad agility as well, he would’ve been a gold rank years ago if his attitude isn’t such a big problem” She explained, so it seems she knows a great deal of things going on in the guild.

“You have a lot of deaths on your hands” Someone ominously said, I turn my head to look at who I believe is the crimson knight’s little sister.

“What an odd thing to say” I said without showing any outward reaction.

“Sis is an odd one really, pay her no mind” The crimson knight said looking slightly nervous. I don’t think it takes a genius to figure out there’s more to it than that.

“I don’t mind, traveling far and wide does have its fair share of trouble” I replied.

“So you don’t deny it, well I guess not everyone is uncomfortable about the topic” She said in return. Still the fact that this girl can tell that is suspicious in-and-of itself, who is she anyway? Who are they rather? Is that even something I have to worry about? Considering their lack of involvement in… everything pretty much.

“Yeah sometimes such a thing one can be transparent about, at least I think with you” I said pretty much reflecting back at them.

“I see… Well I hope best for your victory… though I doubt such a thing is needed if you defeat such a guy like it’s nothing” She replied.

“Honestly the only one who could defeat me is my lo- Ahem, my partner here” I said patting Rosia’s shoulder.

“Oh right, I guess since you both seem to be quite an inseparable pair, you probably aren’t far off in terms of strength… so I guess she’s plenty powerful as well right?” She asked in response.

“Yeah, I mean she’s meant to win from the start I’d say, I’ll still try though” I replied, hinting at my plan.

“What a curious thing to say, but I won’t pry into that. We’ll just loiter around here, no interest in dealing with any of this tournament stuff” She said, guess these two are adamantly against dealing with anything this tournament, or perhaps any world events whatsoever, which is good, it’s pretty easy to tell they’re not easy to get rid of.

“I see, well we’ll wait around as well until Rosia’s turn came up” I said. No need to do anything at this moment, just keep waiting and waiting, until it’s time for the next battle.

9