Book 2: Chapter 21: Lord: The Venomous Words
190 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Well I guess it’s time to wait for the participants to recover. If anyone who passed needed extra energy or mana I’ll share some potions with them, though only a few seem particularly exhausted from their match, like that archer guy for example, so I approach him of course.

“Hey archer man. You got beaten up pretty badly right? Want a stamina potion or anything?” I asked, greeting him with a friendly face, however it seems even with that attitude going on he’s still tense around me, or is he just naturally paranoid? It’s hard to tell really.

“I’ll be fine. The medical team here is competent enough so there’s no need for you to worry, why are you helping out the other participants in the first place?” He asked in return.

“I’m being fair-play here, it’ll be a shame if anyone loses just because they’re not at full strength, just saying but even the Hero needs to be in perfect condition to remain on top” I replied, though now that I think about it why did he enter the tournament in the first place? He doesn’t look like someone who wants to be the Hero no matter how you look at it.

“Ah by the way, why are you entering the tournament in the first place?” I asked.

“Even those who ended up only in the semifinals will get some sort of rewards for their effort” He answered, not by providing his motive directly, only insinuating what could drive him to join. I never look that far into it so I guess there’s that.

“I see” I replied mindlessly.

“I guess you’re here to win then” He said, sounding a bit cautious.

“Eh, that’s not happening” I replied mindlessly, with him visibly shocked hearing my confession.

“What does that mean?” He asked, looking somewhat pressured.

“Like I said, I’m not winning, I’m no hero, so winning is out of the question” I replied, with him quickly putting his hand on his chin and thinking about something. Hopefully he doesn’t try to bail out of the situation.

“Let me say something, if you forfeit I’ll kill you” I playfully stated which is definitely getting to him, leaving him alone so I could go talk to others.

Ah Rosia and the priest are conversing it seems.

“For someone who is a man of faith you don’t seem so fanatic” Rosia commented dryly.

“Not everyone is like that, no doubt many take their faith to the extreme, perhaps out of desperation for a refuge, but I’m simply following the teaching so those people have some peace of mind, it’s the least I could do” This person is way too nice and moral to be a man of cloth. I feel like the world turned upside down with that alone. He’s way too good of a person, and we all know such people die. Every time.

“Hmph. Guess I got you wrong, so what’s your thought on the Demon Lord?” Okay Rosia what’s on your mind right now? Maybe she’s asking in case I’ll turn him.

“The enemy we no doubt will be facing? I do believe their existence is detrimental to the world, such a mindless killer should never exist, I can only hope they can find salvation sooner or later at the very least” His good guy demeanor just screams dead flags, tons of it.

“And demon in general?” Rosia asked further.

“That’s one thing that has been bugging me, demons are supposedly creatures of evil and heresy, something sinful and a threat to all mankind. I find it hard to believe that humans with animal characteristics are classified as such, I would imagine them to have intimidating horns or weird body proportions” He lampshaded. Yeah the whole beastkin being demons and all that are just absurd, can never make the sense of that. I know there’s a whole taboo act between two species justification out there but even then that’s just gross more than being demonic. Speaking of gross, demi-humans can breed with both animals and humans… thanks Kaa-san.

“That’s surprisingly well thought out, at least compared to literally everyone else” Rosia replied sounding genuinely surprised.

“Well I’m always seen as a bit too softhearted and open-minded, even if I know a few techniques to shut them up” He replied. 

“Hmph. Well I think it’s better to end our conversation here, my partner has arrived… speaking of which what is your opinion on same sex love?” Rosia said, noticing me observing them.

“Just do as your heart desires, just don’t do anything amoral and it’s all good” He replied, way too nice, definitely won’t live long.

“I see. Remember to give it your all” Rosia said walking to me, turning her back against the priest.

“But of course” He replied walking elsewhere. I wonder when he’ll die… maybe after his round is over? Maybe a little later?

“So what do you think?” Rosia asked. Probably talking about the conversation between the two.

“He’s too nice, too moral, such a person certainly won’t live long, in a human society or otherwise” I proclaimed. Such a character only exists to get killed off and make everyone feel bad, but the reason such a trope exists is because it’s true in the real world as well, those who are too good only live to be exploited and killed. 

“That’s certainly not a favorable assessment” Rosia commented, of course it’s not, the world doesn’t care who lives or dies, and unfortunately those with great ambition and evil are more likely to prevail, which Kaa-san certainly fits in, continue to exist and create more and more problem for her gain or amusement.

“Well that’s simply the truth of the matter. Anyway what were you talking about before I butted in anyway?” I asked, curious if there’s anything I didn’t pick up on.

“He did approach me first if that’s one of the things you’re thinking about. He asked me about my origin and such” She replied.

“And your reply?” I asked further.

“Someone from a faraway land just like you” She replied. Guess she noticed what kind of cover story I was thinking of. It’s honestly a bit of an easy way out really. Doing anything wrong or suspicious? Oh that’s because I’m from elsewhere, a rather cheap excuse.

“I see. Anything else?” I asked further.

“He also mentioned how one particular noble family is on high alert today, with many found the erratic behavior suspicious” Rosia answered with a slight malicious grin on her face that she let slip for a second.

“Isn’t that interesting. Hopefully they won’t cause a scene” I replied. I don’t think they can really do anything aside from being miserable, but might as well keep any information in mind.

“If ‘that’ appears then they certainly will. I don’t see them in the stands anywhere, even the higher ones, but I doubt they won’t attend the last round” Rosia commented. Thinking about it now I don’t see anyone who seems particularly high status within the stand aside from the participants, with such a momentous event nobility and royalty have to attend, but I guess they can’t be bothered to sit through every match, can’t blame them, I can’t either.

“I see, well I am of the same opinion as well, but for now let’s go outside and relax a bit” I said.

“Very well” Rosia replied.

 

#####

 

“You certainly build a name for yourself in less than a day” The crimson knight commented. When did we become associates anyway? It just sorta happened very suddenly and no one really commented on it.

“I mean when you enter a selection for one who will fight for mankind I think not making a name for yourself will be way harder” I retort playfully. She and her sister have sat with us again, all of us have a drink and have a pleasant chat.

“True enough… Ah. I haven’t introduced myself have I? My name is Almi, here’s my odd sister Ahmar” The crimson knight introduced. I guess I should introduce myself in return.

“Pleasure to meet you. My name is Maova” I responded, she then put her hand up as if trying to stop me.

“Well I know your name already so no need to say it” She said with a smile on her. Meanwhile Rosia and Ahmar are staring at each other.

“Anything wrong Rosia?” I asked.

“Nothing. Feels like this kid is a bit weird” Rosia said looking at Ahmar. Yeah she is weird. Feels like death or something.

“She is, is she not? Still I would say despite that she’s a good girl” Almi commented. Even her own sister found her to be strange, I certainly don’t feel anything off with Almi herself, but with Ahmar it’s an entirely different story, but I’d rather not get involved in more than one problem at a time, this tournament is enough as is I’ll say. If anything my intuition tells me to stay away from her.

“Well I’ll believe you for now. Anyway what’s the deal with you two anyway? Adventurers no doubt?” I asked, this pair is quite enigmatic, so to say there’s something mysterious surrounding them.

“Yeah we are, we’re simply a pair of sisters working for hire, doing requests and going out there in the world. Nothing particularly notable I would say” She said an obvious lie. Even without [Appraisal] I could easily tell she exudes way more mana than others, which in turns means she’s quite strong, while her sister is concealing all of it, which in itself is no easy feat. 

“Whatever you say, so are you staying to watch until the end or what?” I changed the topic, I think this is enough conversation with them for now, I’d rather go double-check the schedule for the semifinals.

“Nah. We have something else to do, maybe we can stay for your next match but that’s about it” Almi replied. I guess I won’t see them for a while then, which is fine, I’d rather not get into conflicts with them after getting acquainted and having many friendly conversations, if I don’t know her it’ll be a different story.

“I see. Well to summarize how this’ll end. One of us will win with absolute certainty” I boasted, standing up and ready to walk back to the colosseum, Rosia followed suit.

“Quite a confidence. I wish you best of luck” Almi said as she see us off.

 

#####

 

So it’ll be about ten minutes until the round starts… I think I need to talk to the archer guy again.

I approach the man not far away from here, he was minding his own business just thinking to himself.

“I hope you take my threat to heart” I said as a way to start the conversation.

“Heard you loud and clear the first time, why would it matter to you anyway? You said you weren’t going to win” He asked in return.

“Well I didn’t say I wouldn’t beat you now do I? Just that I won’t win the finals, I come here for some strong opponents, not the title of the accursed martyr” He visibly reacts to my last words, ‘accursed martyr’, seems he takes a hint from that. 

“I see. I just hope you wouldn’t try anything on me outside of the tournament at least” He said, sounding obviously exasperated and concerned, anyone would be when dealing with someone with no clear motivation with vague and specific choice of words.

“No promises” I said with a cocky smile. He flinched in terror at the clear implications, one way or another I’ll target him and do something to him, I have no specific plan in mind, but the feeling of corrupting others has been exhilarating for me. I would say it’s corrupting me but I’m already rotten to the core, I’m the Demon Lord for crying out loud, I’m going to do whatever the hell I want, if anything it feels like I softened up a bit since I got here.

“Isn’t that reassuring” He said. Some people were trying to eavesdrop in on us but I glared at them so they all skedaddle.

“Don’t worry, like I’ll kill you, that’s no fun. Death is a mercy, not necessarily something evil or amoral. Wait no that’s a bit implicative isn’t it? Pay it no heed” I said then realizing how implicative that sounds, if he didn’t suspect me already I bet he would’ve panicked, if he was someone else who doesn’t have a clue on what I’m capable of.

“Just… At least let me keep some sort of freedom or something” He said, sounding like he’ll have a breakdown. He's extremely pressured alright, but his attitude and personality means he’s easy to reason with and talk to.

“Sure. I’m not too keen on- All of you go away unless...” I said then realizing more people are staring and trying to eavesdrop, glaring at them and making sure they all scurry away like rats that they are.

“Won’t people suspect you? You seemed like you’re keeping a low profile but at the same time not” He commented.

“Not something you have to concern yourself over. Anyway if you’re not too attached to society you can come work for me. Obviously you’ll get paid” I said playfully, with him sweating and looking at me with his eyelids half-closed, inspecting me if you will. 

“You’re kidding right?” He asked, perplexed by my invitation.

“Nah, and I’m a lord for crying out loud, I have all the fortune you’ll ever need. In fact I was thinking of inviting everyone who is in the semifinals to my land, I need more capable hands about” I smugly proclaimed. I am a lord, but to be more specific the Demon Lord, the one and only.

“So your motive is poaching…” He muttered. Well it was an idea I entertained, but now that he mentioned it I think it’s not a bad idea at all.

“Well there is one more pressing motive I have, but it’s far from slimy I’ll tell you” I added. He’s composed even when it’s clear he’s pressured by someone clearly not in the best mind or intention, or maybe he doesn’t give a damn? Either way it makes him rather fun to interact with.

“Oi! You two! Time to step into the arena!” Someone shouted out at us, so I guess it’s time, and to show I’m a bit more serious I need to use more than my brawling skills here.

Both of us entered and much to the bewilderment of everyone except Rosia I have a blade in my hand.

“A swordswoman?” Someone in the crowd muttered.

“She’s not a brawler?” Someone else muttered.

“That blade looks different from everyone else’s. Is she a foreigner?” Another muttered.

“Wait if she’s actually a swordswoman has she been going easy this entire time!?” Someone else blurted out in realization.

“What if she’s not better with a sword?” Someone proposed.

“Idiot why would she bring it with her into the semifinals then!” Another reprimanded.

“What if she has more up her sleeves?” Someone said.

“Don’t even say that!” Another said, knowing full well that’s essentially jinxing it.

“Start!” The referee shouted. The crowd freezes, the chatter stops, and they all look in anticipation.

*Dash*

“Fast!” He let out his thoughts as he saw me step toward him in a second.

*Parry*

He barely parried my katana as he stepped back trying to gain some distance.

*Parry* *Parry* *Parry*

I went easy on him but I still go on the offensive. My way longer blade means I can approach him easily and keep him overwhelmed. I can easily close the distance between us while making sure he doesn’t get an opening, his little dagger is nothing to a katana after all.

“So fast!” Someone in the crowd muttered.

“Can’t believe you jinxed it!” Someone else shouted.

*Parry* *Kick*

I ended up doing one more swing which he parried, then kicked him a few meters away. Just enough so I couldn’t continue my rapid slashing. 

He recovered from the kick quickly as I didn’t put too much force into it. Still he looks perplexed as to what I did, no doubt that kick was rather strong, but putting distance between the two when one already holds an advantage is shortsighted. Well I didn’t intend to play perfect anyway, this way the match goes on a bit longer.

“[Wind Arrow]!” He quickly shouted out. breaking out of his trance and shoot an arrow at me.

*Swing* *Crack*

What’s next is no doubt unbelievable to others as well. A swing toward the arrow aiming at me was enough to create and shockwave, a power geyser, and completely destroy the arrow in the process.

“That’s inhumane!” Someone in the crowd said.

The archer can only look at me full of frustration and hopelessness. I in turn point my katana at him.

“Don’t you have anything else up your sleeves? Make it count or this match is over” I said with a straight face, challenging him to do better.

He sighs. Then quickly-

*Shoot* *Shoot* *Shoot*

Fired three arrows toward me. 

*Evade* *Evade* *Catch* *Dash* *Swing*

In a mad dash he catches up to me quickly as I catch the last arrow with my bare hands, brandishing his dagger at me.

*Evade* 

I avoided the dagger swing easily, then he quickly stepped backwards.

“[Wind Arrow]!” He shouted out.

*Shoot*

This one is a stronger shot and also more erratic, as to be expected from someone so desperate.

*Parry* *Dash* *Parry* *Parry* *Parry*

I cut the arrow away, but as soon as I did so he rushed in and swung his dagger at me in rapid succession, slowly cornering me.

*Swing* *Evade*

He dodged my kick.

*Kick*

Then retaliate with one in return, and I get pushed back again. He’s pulling out all the stops.

*Shoot* *Shoot*

More shooting from the guy.

*Parry* *Parry* *Swing* *Parry* *Swing*

As soon as I counter the incoming arrows he came back right in to get some cheap shot.

*Spin* *Kick* *Crash*

I spin my body around and dodge his attack, then kick him away with great force, slam right into the wall with the crowd gasping at the sight.

That was one hell of a sequence, he was making mad dash and quick swings and shots, if it was just any other person they might have been overwhelmed with seconds, but since I am who I am I withstand that barrage without any difficulty.

“That’s enough. I’m satisfied” I said in a bored tone looking at him slowly standing back up. It might’ve been short lived but rather exhilarating, now this is what I’m talking about… I feel like I got some pretty bothersome bloodlust in me, probably inherited it from Mom, she’s quite a battle junkie under that stoic facade.

“I… see” He said, limping back towards me.

“Announce your defeat if you’d rather not endure any more pain” I instructed.

“Alright… It’s my defeat” He said weakly looking at the referee not too far from here, and with that it’s my win. Now all that remains is for Rosia to win as well, which much easier done that said.

10