Book 2: Chapter 23: Lord: Sword of Hidden Desires
222 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s past midday at this point and people become rather chatty, well it’s the final match that will determine one who will be the savior of humanity and all that nonsense. Really I don’t think people are talking specifically because of that, but probably because of… us.

“What do you think of those two?” Someone muttered.

“Way too freaking strong I’d say, that noble guy stands no chance I’m telling you” Someone else replied.

“Yeah so much for that, many thought he might win, since, y’know, they get everything so much better than us” Another added.

“So much for that, maybe the destined hero actually appeared after all” Another commented. What a loud crowd of people, I really should get away from here before these people possibly bombard me and Roisa, though I would like to hear what these people have to say some more.

“Hey, so who do you think is going to win?” One asked the group.

“That raven haired lady is just too ridiculous for words, I think she’ll win” One of them answered.

“Yeah but the pink haired girl can use magic can’t she? I think that balances it out if nothing else” Another retort.

“Haven’t you heard? Apparently the sage rumored to come here almost a week ago is that raven lady” Another chimed in, that particular information has spread? Maybe someone who worked at one of the three locations I was at spread the information, but I won’t pry into it.

“That’s stupid! That means she’s basically a god! Absurd as both a fighter and a mage, that’s just plain ridiculous! Besides, she didn’t use a single spell so far! How can you be so sure she’s a sage!” Another asked in disbelief.

What a lively place. It’s sickening so let’s get outta here. I gestured at Rosia to follow me along as we’re leaving the colosseum.

“Anything dared to talk to them?” One asked with a smirk.

“You go do it you ass!” Another responded.

“I think I’d rather die” Another said deadpanned.

 

#####

 

Many people look at us with wary eyes as we walk around and eat some light meals. It's certainly great that demons can eat regular human food, in many stories they just can’t, and those who are reborn into them in stories are rather down because of that. I know I would’ve been pretty miffed if I could only drink blood and nothing else, sure it tastes great and all which probably sounds terrifying from a human’s perspective, but still I can say for certain it cannot compromise the taste of human foods. Really it’s extremely convenient that demons lack any plot-convenient weaknesses they have in stories as well, I’m not the one to go outside in the day all the time, a part of me at least, but not able to go out in the sun is just painful to think about, then again those weaknesses were for conveniences in-story anyway, so really it should’ve been expected that supernatural beings truly lack any cripplingly convenient weaknesses that would’ve make their existence just flat out inconvenient more than anything else. Good thing humanity collective consciousness doesn’t brand demons with weaknesses, that would’ve sucked, not that I’m sure if that would’ve even worked.

“Are you thinking about something again?” Rosia asked as we continued walking and looking around.

“Yeah” I mindlessly replied. 

“I see. Well we should- Hm?” Rosia was about to say something then interrupted herself.

“What is it?” I asked as I look in the same direction she does. I think that’s more than a few soldiers roaming the place and… questioning people? I think?

“Seems soldiers and such are acting up” Rosia commented. 

“Wonder why? Maybe because important people will attend the final battle?” I proposed even if that’s unlikely.

“No, I think it’s… that” Rosia replied and I understand it completely. The sword’s disappearance. Thinking about it now that household would probably began panicking and searching the city for who could’ve taken it, I don’t think they particularly care for the reason for its disappearance, they just want it back as it’s very important to their status, and if it’s gone and say… appeared in someone else’s hand and using it, then their future is forever gone.

“I see. Well I don’t think their desperate attempt will amount to anything, let them do as they wish, they don’t deserve anything anyway” I coldly said as both of us simply walked off. There’s no reason to care for such a futile effort.

 

#####

 

“So how do you think the last round should proceed?” Rosia asked as we sat down and did some more snacking. Thinking about it now we did a lot of that since we came here. I never pride myself as a big eater but I guess I am? Maybe it’s just because a demon's body works differently? Well I’m not complaining, more delicious stuff for me.

“Obviously the noble guy has to leave the picture first, but seeing him struggle will be quite a sight I’d say, so just act like you’re fighting for yourself and all that, but both of us has to hold back and try to not knock him out in one strike or having both of us strike him” I explained. Just try to go with the flow and when it’s obvious that he’ll be out of the picture then defeat him, nothing too hard to follow I think.

“I see” Rosia said as she ate. It’s a bit silly looking seeing one stoic girl said so in a rather monotone voice as she chomps down some food looking cute. Her face is so cute yet the person herself is possibly one of the most cold hearted and sociopathic people out there, of course that’s from someone not knowing a lot of people, still the contrast is a bit jarring, not that it made her unattractive for anything, just maybe too off putting for some.

“Still… I wonder how we’ll proceed after this… What do you think will happen if people believe the Hero is not enough?” I asked for her opinion.

“Didn’t you say something about that almost a week ago? If I remember correctly… something about summoning” She replied. 

“Ah. We did talk briefly about that didn’t we? I think I get where you’re coming from. Well we can go with that if there’s nothing else we can make them do” I responded. People from another world is it? That does sounds like a lot of fun to mess with, if I can’t think of anything else then ultimately that’s the choice I’ll make.

The effect of transmigration is certainly apparent in this capital city. There’s no technology of anything of the sort, but everything just seems a bit too neat, and this is after the earthquake destroyed a great deal of it as well as the mana supply, just goes to show the effect those people have on this world, and from the looks of it the demi-humans probably have next to none of them around considering their state at the moment. A shame. Also the food here is pretty good considering the time period this seems to take place in, like Middle Ages or something? It probably shouldn’t be comparable to modern food.

All of these thoughts aside. Soon will be the time for humanity to be played, dancing around with their little puppet strings.

 

#####

 

The crowd cheers, people looking with enthusiasm, many clearly higher up people looking from their high and mighty stands. 

“Everyone! At last the final stage of the selection has been set! Three finalists who all overcome their foes. Three of them stands superior to the rest! And I, as a humble member of this selection process, shall call out the name of this three individuals! First up is Maova! The enigmatic raven haired lady whose prowess is just as deadly as her poisonous lips!” Oi who the hell wrote this script?

“Next is the cold and powerful unknown knight and the companion of Maova, she might seems demure but what is there is a fierce warrior! Rosia!” I think I saw Rosia’s eye twitch for a second there, I guess she doesn’t like these flowery language being used on her, well it’s probably her first time being described as such so perhaps she’ll get used to it soon.

“Last is the inheritor of the Trania household! The noblest and most graceful! Yutal Trania!” Yuuna’s brother meanwhile seems unimpressed with how simple his description is compared to us two. Well I couldn’t care less about that.

“Now! The three of them shall go against each other in this free-for-all. The battle will now start in…” He said with the crowd looking in anticipation, the world seemed to freeze as everything went silent.

“Three!” He said counting down. Eyes of people widen, the nobleman look at us sweating full of distress.

“Two!” The crowd seems to hold their breath in excitement and anxiety.

“One!” Even those high and mighty looked on with hope, of something truly spectacular.

“GO!!!” He yelled out at the top of his lunge. The signal is clear, and the battle to put this little part of humanity into my entertainment… Began.

*Dash*

“Whoa!!!” The crowd cheered as all of us immediately rushed in and fought head on at incredible speed.

“[Blade of Flames]!” Yuuna’s brother quickly chanted as his rapier now covered in fierce flames. 

*Clash*

The first strike was by the three of us swinging our blades right at each other, a loud clash of metals filled the colosseum and all of us pushed back by about two meters from the combined force of the impact.

*Swing* *Parry*

Yuuna’s brother swings his blade towards me, but I hop backward while parrying the blade at the same time, giving a lot of distance between us and leaving him staggered for a little bit, unfortunately this isn’t the game of picking the weak exactly.

*Dash* *Strike* *Crash*

“What the!?” Someone cried out loudly reacting to the spectacle at hand. I strike at Rosia and send her flying into the wall, she probably wasn’t expecting that but I doubt that actually does any damage.

*Dash* *Parry* *Parry* *Parry*

First a downward slash, next a diagonal slash, then an upward slash, all the nobleman managed to parry, but it’s clear he’s struggling even when I’m holding back. Unfortunately for you easy mode doesn’t exist.

*Kick*

I then kicked him away.

“[Light Wave]!” Someone, specifically Rosia, chanted.

*Beam* *Evade* *Boom*

A beam in the shape of a sword arc is aimed at me, but I dodge it without issue as it hits the wall on the other side. Going to be quite costly to patch these for certain.

*Dash* *Parry* *Parry* *Block*

She parried my two strikes but too cornered to parry the third so she can only block it. Now she’s in quite a pickle, how would she get out of this I wonder?

*Kick* *Crash*

Alright then, a kick sends me flying into the ground, that’ll work. Hm? Right the noble guy is still there.

*Dash* *Parry* *Parry* *Clash*

He parried my two strikes and locked blade in the third, but it’s clear who has the strength advantage here.

*Slash*

“Ugh!” It was just a light force pushing him back losing that clash, but it seems even that was a bit much for him.

*Swing* *Evade*

“Have to do better than that my friend” I taunted Rosia as she tried to sneak up at me from behind.

*Swing* *Parry*

“Same with you too” I said, parrying Yuuna’s brother attempted back attack. So this is the narrative we’re going with, one a bit too powerful to make the whole thing fair so they have to go first.

**Swing** *Spin* **Parry**

“Isn’t this a little unfair?” I said playfully, with both of them not buying it at all.

*Swing* *Leap*

I jumped as Rosia took another swing and to her back.

*Parry*

She parried the attack that almost hit her back.

“Well I guess my playtime is over. [Blade of Light]!” I said as if snapped from being targeted by both.

*Shine*

“T-That’s…” A powerful wave of energy pushed the air away as people looked in awe.

“C-Could that possibly be-!” Someone said unable to continue due to shock.

*Swing* *Crack*

A shockwave made from that one swing made the ground crack slightly and dust filled the place.

*Cough* *Cough*

The two coughed in response and looked at me clearly concerned for their chances.

“Now then… come at me!” I said with great enthusiasm.

*Dash* *Parry* *Parry* *Leap* *Parry* *Crash*

Parrying the two quite easily and Rosia’s leaping attack I also parried, with the result with her falling to the ground, while Yuuna’s brother is clearly overwhelmed and not sure what to do, but still in front of me while Rosia tried to recover.

*Strike*

“Ugh!” He cried out in pain as the flames dissipated. He looked at me with hopelessness in his eyes. All I did was strike him with my blade once and he’s already finished? Not so exciting was it.

“Can you not continue?” I asked without much enthusiasm.

“Haaa!” Rosia let out with another swing.

*Parry* 

“Ugh!” She cried out in pain, at least pretending to at any rate.

*Kick*

“I guess this is the best you can do” I said after kicking the man away. He tried to stand back up but had no strength to do so.

*Parry*

Rosia goes in for another swing and I easily parried it.

“And you...” I said, now looking at Rosia. The crowd looked on with anticipation for what to come next, with many thinking the winner should’ve been obvious by now.

“Take that out. This is the final match, there’s no need to conceal it any longer” I said as an obvious cue. People looking on get rather chatty and began speaking to each other wondering what it may be. Rosia shakily stands straight up, and-

*Planted*

Planted her sword to the ground, which  soon vanished.

“If you say so, then I shall deliver!” She said, basically shouting by the end. Putting her hands in a position of holding a sword with two hands.

*Swirl* *Shine* *Shake*

The grounds shook, the light began forming in her hands and winds going berserk. People began panicking and looked on in awe as if a miracle was happening in front of their eyes. It’s as if the world shakes at this pressure, as if whatever comes next will shatter the world in half. That’s the sort of pressure and power humans probably felt at this moment, for me it’s but a strong breeze, but for others it must’ve felt almost otherworldly. Yuuna’s brother collapsed as he’s hit by the pressure and people all fell silent in awe as the power forming began to escalate.

*Shine*

And the pressure stops. What stood in its place was no doubt something awe inspiring and revelational. Some have their mouth gaping wide, other stuttered in shock, and those up there look almost terrified at the sight, even if they’re far from the sight, they can tell that something that replace the overwhelming power is nothing to overlook, and that shining pink color reflecting in the sunlight, reflecting from the jewel imbedded in the sword, this sword with very few able to match it in its quality, weapon with history of ‘heroism’, one that acts as the reminder of that person’s action.

*Shine*

The weapon lights up, as if imbued with great power unseen in a person’s lifetime, and once more pressure begins emanating throughout the whole arena.

“W-What is-!?” Someone shouted out in panic.

“This power!” Another shouted in awe.

“Can that possibly be!?” Another said as if realizing something world shattering.

“Hah!” Rosia cried out.

*Swing* 

“Tsk!” Just that one swing was enough to almost make me crash into the wall, I wasn’t hit by it or anything, but the power release from that one swing created a powerful shockwave that pushed me back. The surge of power continues and people look on in a trance. 

“Now this is more like it! Show the world who the destined one is!” I said playing the scene up, and she still looks at me with the dead eyes she always had.

**Dash**

“W-Where did-”

*Clash* *Parry* *Clash* *Parry* *Shake*

Both of us moved at inhumane speed, locking blades or parrying each other while zipping around the battlefield, with the shock of the impact shaking the colosseum. We did it for almost a minute and I wouldn’t be surprised if some part of the colosseum collapsed because of that.

*Kick* *Crash* 

“[Light Wave]!” Rosia knocked me into the wall and chanted those words.

*Beam*

“[Shield of Light]!” I chanted a defensive spell in return, my left arm reaching out.

*Block* *Shatter*

Both the sword beam and the shield dissipated. 

*Dash* *Swing*

She’s going to lob my head off at this rate!

*Evade* *Slash* *Dash*

I dodged her attempted beheading and slash at her in return, as well as running away.

“You’re getting a bit into it aren't you? How about this then?” I said, then…

*Shine*

My katana lighted up, in a surge of power not too different from the one Rosia demonstrated. Will this be the finishing act? Who can say.

“[Blade of the East, heed my name and swept all in my way with this purging light!...” Damn I have to think of a cool name or something… Um…

“Tainquiz Light]!”

*Blast*

A massive beam emerged from my blade and towards Rosia.

“[The blade of the chosen, be my guide as the savior of humanity, clean away all obstacles... Consume all light! Suemosa]! Rosia chanted and-

*Blast*

Another beam of light also appeared, clashing against one another, the resulting explosion might destroy this whole field, but that’s just how it is. How will this end? The power clashing against one another, the light about to consume everything. People unable to say anything, looking on in silence.

“Come on Rosia! You can do better than that!” I said, feeling my blood rushing.

And then…

*Boom*

Everything is consumed by light, there is no pain, there’s nothing in that short moment, and then the light disappeared.

*Slash*

9