Book 3: Chapter 10: Majo: Walk of Knowledge Class of Others
160 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Yawn*

I yawned from a nice sleep, thankfully no weird dream like that one time about a few days ago. I still have no idea how I came to have such a weird dream, I think I got blasted at the end of it or another.

What time is it anyway? There’s a clock here that thankfully seems to use the same unit of time as us… Only 6 in the morning. Guess I’ll have some time before their lecture starts, but what can I do before then? I guess I could go look around, as if anyone would try to stop me anyway… Ah, and of course memorize the place, that’s important.

 

#####

 

I’m simply walking around in the early morning, barely any people are around and it should be in an hour or so that the academy begins their lessons, but in the otherworlder’s case it’ll be three hours from now, a bit later than the rest.

Let’s list what I have seen, multiple classrooms, a garden in the middle, a training ground on the other side of the school, both of which is of course on the first floor alongside the library, and so far I haven’t seen any particular interesting room in the other floors so far. Still better to keep looking as there are still hours left before the lesson, can’t wait to find out if they’ll make any misconceptions regarding magic and other things, of course what I need to focus on is the history and situation this kingdom is in, as context matters.

…I am simply walking up to the second floor after exploring the ground floor for a good while.

Hm? Is this some sort of alchemy room or laboratory? Guess such a thing would exist in an academy, still I doubt there’s any significance to it so let’s move on. So there is indeed something else aside from dorm rooms and classrooms on the higher floor

Not much else of note, I think there is more than one clinic room actually, I think I passed by one on this floor while there is certainly one on the first floor. Considering the time period and general dangers people seem to be in it does make some sense I guess, even if it seems a bit redundant.

Yeah there’s not much going on in this academy as I thought there will be. I guess I’ll have to go do something else… or just wait and be alone with my thoughts, that works as well.

 

#####

 

So… Let’s remind myself of what has happened so far since yesterday. First we got summoned to a new land along with another group of people, possibly different worlds maybe maybe not, and then suddenly a major event happened that I inserted myself into, it felt a bit staged I’d say, not that I have much to say on the topic. What happened after that? Academy and my expositions to the squad, and then I just leave them alone after giving them taste from home. The point of interest outside of this problem is Floria who I admittedly perhaps tangle with a bit too much, at least it doesn’t interfere with the main plot so to say.

What I will do today can be split into two parts based on the two events going on around me, one is the squad learning of this world while I also listened in, then giving them some advice before I leave to meet with Floria again, training her to be a good fighter and a mage, a spellsword. Nothing else aside from that, nothing that is really worth looking into, nor is there any clue as to what the big bad is planning next, perhaps the one called Hero would know, but how much can she be trusted? She wasn’t putting her best into it, while I don’t think she has the worst of intention it definitely isn’t aligned with what she is said to do… Wait I already mentioned that at some point didn’t I? I would be called to the castle in two days, but can I perhaps progress to story faster than intended? At least get a better look at the situation, as right now the humanity is certainly not looking so hot, and the demon side or whatever only had the Demon Lord, I would’ve expected there to be a mentioned of them rampaging outside of capital city at least, or rather a mission regarding their sighting on the board, yet there isn’t any, guild is where informations travel fast, yet nothing of the sort is noted, like the whole thing is blown up by the higher ups, intentionally or not.

That’s about all that I could have brought up without getting redundant, I should now think of the plan ahead, even if there’s not much to go on at the moment… no I shouldn’t do that, as I will get new information within a few hours this is pointless… I guess I can only wait at this point, or rather that’s the best course of action for now.

Not a fan of sitting around when not everything is figured out, but it’s not really a hassle, it’s literally not doing anything.

 

#####

 

...An hour passed… I feel like I could at least entertain myself somehow… Wait a second I could pull out my phone and game consoles could I not? I don’t exactly have many but they should suffice, and I could recharge it as much as I want if I have enough mana. Side note is that trying to charge anything using a spell is extremely hard, needs to be precise with the output otherwise it either doesn’t work or the device is permanently damaged, it was a bit of a painful experience even if I’m aware of the risk.

I summoned a portable game console and opened it up, I’m not professional when it comes to gaming like... him… but I know a lot more than the casuals at least, playing games does make me recounting about him, which is rather depressing, but I mostly moved on, not much to be said about someone who is dead.

“The fact that he died that way just makes it all feels rather uncomforting for some reason” I muttered to no one in particular as the console finished booting up. I think it’s due to the way he died and how fictional stories depicted the consequence of it, I’d rather not believe in what could possibly be false hope, and even then will he even remember anything? For all I know he could be like me and try to forsake the old life when it seems like that life is forever lost, feeling little connection between who we are now and back then… Hah… Why am I even thinking about what ifs? The circumstances I have been through so far are already ridiculous as is, I don’t think I can handle anymore than that.

People changed, I have changed a lot, and the more they change the more they stay the same, not much can be done with who I am at this point, so all I can talk and think about are others. I considered my story already concluded, or at least past its climax, not much to gain after that point, with the flame I have created everything was burned away… 

Well that’s enough vaguely philosophical topics for now… what should I play to pass the time?

 

#####

 

*Press* *Click* *Click* *Push*

...It’s certainly a good pastime but I think this is enough for now. Even if I don’t have to I think it’s best to close the console properly before storing it away into the space without time, I don’t think anyone is so bold as to leave something on it doesn’t really do anything, it’s really just due to habit of switching things off when not needed even if it can be on without a problem.

An hour had passed, and roughly fifty minutes remained until the lecture. I can really only hope they don't go on a tangent or try to say something really manipulative… I should try to look for information myself now that I think about it, while hearing from a word of mouth isn’t necessarily less genuine than those from text, I think it’ll be better for me to learn from more than one account, in that case I need to find a source of information, and conveniently one already existed here. The library will be a good place to start.

 

#####

 

I walked into the library for the first time, I only see it from the outside, but now that I’m here… it’s weirdly underwhelming, there isn’t as many books as I thought there will be, in some part it looks like something is missing, and I don’t see anyone around managing the place… Hm? What is this on the counter?

“Missing person… the academy librarian Belphi…” I muttered looking at the paper on the desk, the drawing is that of a woman with wavy hair and glasses, not much else to go on aside from that. Should I even bother? Doesn’t look like that big of a deal honestly. I think I should stick to looking through information here.

…Walking around and seeing what looked like so many books missing is certainly a cause for concern, it was irregular. Still I can hope that I will find something about the history of this place… Ah! This one seems promising. ‘The War of Humans and Demons’. There seems to be a weird stain on it, looked like an old bloodstain, looked almost damaged in some part. Still it seems readable so might as well.

…Let’s see… ‘A reoccurring war between two sides, us the-’ okay just a few words in that seems way too egotistical on the human side already. Let’s just skim this part…

*Flip*

Within a few centuries the Demon Lord shall rise again, forever sinful and disobeying the world… There were very few records of the events of the war itself as many died during it... The last one was known for the uncertainty of the Hero, the one who shall end the Demon Lord no matter the cost, including their own life… The last war had a particular demon amongst it, horns of gold and vanity, blood red clothing... This particular demon no one is sure if it’s eradicated or not...

Horns of gold? That sounds like the Demon Lord we just saw, can it be the same one? Doesn’t look like the color scheme for the clothing is the same but certainly it can be changed, it should be over a century since then I think changing fashion sense isn’t out of the question… or maybe there’s an alternative connection?... Does it even matter who the Demon Lord now actually is with their connection to the previous ones?  There’s definitely more than a few details this book didn’t mention, and I can’t tell why that’s the case, half of it just seems like delusional bull crap while the other half doesn’t elaborate much on the history of this conflict at all… 

Well I think I should go look at maybe the history of this land instead? Or maybe more about demons… even if they’re being rather uninformative about it. Either way I should go looking through more books until the lesson starts.

 

#####

 

Okay then, finding the information is just way too big of a hassle than needed, I find some book that could be of use but seriously this library is very lacking, if I was an inspector or something I would certainly bring this up as a massive point of contention, a place of knowledge without it is nothing short of insulting, there is probably a reason for this but even so, what a mess.

The history of this place is definitely not that interesting, something about people from another side of the world coming in to take control and live here, establishing their own kingdom as they see no reason to go back to another side of the world. What is this? Ancient Britain finding America? I would’ve expected something a bit more out there I guess… Wait… Did I overlook something just now?

*Flip* *Scroll* *Flip*

I looked through the history books again. ‘Colonizing’ ‘Native’ ‘Reaching undiscovered land’... Let’s think through this rationally… If I look at this correctly… Yeah this is just flat out America’s history… So this world is… Oh so that’s why the language is-... Yeah so that’s why, so now we’re in America I guess, no idea if it’s the United States or maybe far north or south… It’ll probably not matter at all, but still an interesting thing to note, that’s two worlds so far that have an alternative earth, interesting, I wonder if that’ll always be the case or what, or if there’s only so much of them.

I doubt it’s a coincidence that humans exist in a world very similar to the next, I can only wonder as to why… 

...Well while I would like to know more about it, I think I should keep this as of time trivial matters quiet and focus on the important part of the story, the Demon Lord and the Hero. Let’s see how everyone else will deal with such a cycle of torment.

 

#####

 

The classrooms are filled with a total of nine otherworlders sitting down and looking very unsure of themselves, while I, the tenth otherworlders, simply stand there leaning against the wall looking at them. I’m supposed to be another observer, at least that’s what they wanted me to do at any rate. Even if I comprehend their story and woes doesn’t mean I’ll just work for them nearly unconditionally, they’re foolish to expect that, but for now I’ll play along if and only there isn’t much to do or investigate at the moment.

An adult man in a sharp suit sort of walked to the middle of the class and observed the mostly unassuming group of teenagers, it’s probably a sad sight to see if they’re supposed to be their hope, they should be glad they have that girl and I as their lifeline essentially, or at least acting as one.

“My name is Foas, a humble teacher. You’re all otherworlders and no doubt you have many questions as to why you’re all here, and I am here to close all your doubts and questions” He declared trying to reassure the very clearly nervous group of people.

...All of them are rather nervous to say anything… Perhaps I should butted in?

“Say your name everybody” I demanded authoritatively. All of them including the teacher flinched hearing my voice almost booming through the entire room. I stared at Mitsuka to start first, he stood up in response and also nervous of the attention on him.

“Oh, also first name only, nobody cares about it here” I added, much to the concern of my Japanese classmates as last names are used more often in other cultures.

“This is going to be hard to adjust to… My name is Mitsuka” Mitsuka muttered the first part and declared clearly the second part, then sat down. Yumi then volunteered to go next.

“I’m Yumi” She said shortly and let the next person go… and that person is Kioshi.

“Kioshi is my name” He said and sat back down, with the squad looking at Ran to also do the same. She nervously stood up in response.

“R-Ran” She said cutely before sitting back down, and our squad looked at the Americans with anticipation and pressure.

“Okay then! I’ll start first… My first name is Sarah” A rather boring name but whatever. She said so confidently and sat back down.

“Ugh, I’m Bran” The rude guy from yesterday introduced himself.

“Tony” A rather unassuming guy said.

“Name’s Minny” A girl with glasses said.

“I’m Adam” The last guy who looked rather athletic said.

With everyone introducing themselves, the teacher takes a moment to compose himself, sighing and trying to remain calm and reassuring.

“Thank you all for introducing yourselves. Now then, I shall explain what has happened that caused such a crisis that you all were pulled in to take part. The war between humans and demons, it’s an apocalyptic event no one could escape, it is unfortunate but that’s how it is. I will explain to you all in details as to what it is, and how it is related to what we’re-

 

#####

 

What a boring lecture. He just essentially repeated what I have read about before, except shortening it somewhat. Everyone seems rather bored about this, with a good deal of them slumped over and looking tired already, now maybe I should butted in again.

“I think they need some time to rest. So much information was forced into them on the second day here after all, certainly isn’t good for their heart” I said walking over to the teacher. He ponders for a second and nods his head.

“...Indeed, I tried my best to explain everything in one single lecture, but I suppose not everyone can tolerate that” He said thoughtfully.

“You heard the guy, rest for a while and… what do you teach next anyway?” I announced then turned back to inquire about the next lesson.

“Well from what I have been instructed to do I have to inquire on their skill level as a fighter or a mage, their knowledge in such a field” He said not having any particular expectation, should I tell him now that they barely know a thing? Just to keep the whole thing quick and easy.

“Unfortunately I’m afraid to be a bearer of bad news, while you might have heard of their inexperience with magic and fighting, it’s actually way worse than that” I said with a wry smile to get the point across, with him looking just as concerned as me if not more.

“I see… This would be a problem, I’m not too experienced in more active lessons myself” He muttered. There is probably another teacher for that but from the sounds of it they all thought at least these people know a little about spells and skills. They sure don’t.

“Do not worry too much, I know as much if not more than the experts, if there is something they needed explaining I’m also here, can’t exactly let the fellow otherworlders be left in the dark can I?” I said with the sound of reassurance. His mood seems a bit better after I said that.

“Thank you very much, I have heard you were already of great help to his majesty, I’m honored you decided to help me so” He politely said. Really there’s no need to thank me for anything.

Well I guess I have to help take the helm here, there better not be any headaches coming my way...

7