Book 3: Chapter 18: Majo: Chat and Care
115 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now that Clara is elsewhere, I believe I could go talk to my friends now, asking them if they’re alright and all that. Let’s put my cloak back on at least before there are more perverted gazes.

Once again I opened up the door and walked down the hallway… for about five seconds since the room isn’t that far apart. I have this so going in is no trouble whatsoever… 

*Open*

“Hey there you two” I greeted Mitsuka and Kioshi as I walked in, they seemed a bit sleepy still as they noticed my presence, as well as surprised.

“H-How did you get in? Isn’t it locked?” Mitsuka asked, looking perplexed.

“I have a skeleton key, if that doesn’t work I can just lockpick, and if that doesn’t work I can just teleport in” I flatly replied.

“Okay then… Is there anything you’re here for?” Mitsuka breaks the silence and asked. 

“Hey, I haven’t checked up on you since yesterday afternoon, I’m just here to say hello” I answered. 

“Oh… Right… What did you do after that anyway? If you don’t mind me asking” Mitsuka asked no doubt feeling curious, from his point of view I’m the hero of another story, where the greater story isn’t seen, so of course he would probably be curious and try to inquire about it. Kioshi meanwhile is clearly listening in on the conversation if not saying anything.

“I was hanging out with a woman” I boldly proclaimed. His eyes squinted for a bit with a curious look. Kioshi isn’t really interested in these sorts of things so he doesn’t really react to it.

“I was… expecting something a bit more grandeur than that” Mitsuka commented, if not exactly disappointed, just stating something.

“Well I tried okay? We went out for dinner so there’s that” I replied. Now he’s looking a bit more intrigued.

“What’s your point?” He asked looking for any intention on my end.

“We were just getting to know each other is all, she’s a bit cold on the surface so I need to encourage her to do something like that so she can open up a little” I clarified, there’s really no hidden intention on my part, at least as far as I’m aware, I can be oblivious at times to a certain issue.

“You make it seem like you two are dating…” He commented… Well… He’s not wrong… I mean that does kind of sound like dating… 

“Maybe… Well I do think she’s quite interesting and pretty as well, you don’t see minty hair much if at all. Of course I really didn’t think of committing for now, if that’s what you’re thinking” I replied. I am interested in women, so from that point of view my actions seem pretty devious and self-serving, but I tried to not think about such a thing with the possible problem it’ll cause.

“...Hold on… you’re a girl right now, do you still like girls?” Mitsuka just asked something really rude right there.

“How rude… Maybe if I attack you down there you’ll have some idea?” I said with a malicious grin on me and staring at his crotch, which he immediately noticed.

“S-Sorry! Please don’t do it!” He pleaded and almost flat out screaming, immediately covering his crotch even if it probably won’t protect the thing.

“Good answer. Now then if that’s all there is to be said… before then Kioshi is there anything you want to say?” I was thinking about leaving and talking with the girls then realized that Kioshi hadn't said a single thing.

“Nothing really… I just hope you’re not trying anything risky, you’re our lifeline” He replied sounding as reasonable as always. 

“Of course I wouldn’t, I’m not going to go die somewhere that I can say confidently” I said with a confident tone. Mitsuka just looks more worried stead of the other way around.

“Isn’t that how people usually die? Saying such a thing?” He pointed out while sounding a bit scared.

“Maybe, but this is the real world here, tropes like that don't always play out” I replied, really death in itself is rather fickle, so who knows how much it’ll actually stick. Death is both cheap and isn’t, trying to actively cheat it probably doesn’t make the odds better than not.

“If you say so” He replied, calming down a bit.

“Okay then, I’ll be going now, see you in the class” I said as I walked out and in the hallway. No one around it seems… Alright let’s go to the girl’s room, let’s open the… actually let’s be polite to them.

*Knock* *Knock*

“Hello?” I knocked the door a few times and asked for a response.

*Open*

Yumi opened the door and saw me, I simply looked at her and waited for her to say something.

“Ah, Reita… Reiza, how are you today?” She greeted as she let me in, closing the door behind us.

“I’m doing fine. I want to see how you all are doing as well, I did just leave prematurely yesterday after all” I replied stating my intention, I wonder if they’ll ask for what I was doing as well. Ran is here with us but she also doesn’t say anything like her puppy crush.

“I see… Umm…” Yumi muttered while looking at me for a bit, what’s up with her now?

“What is it?” I asked, feeling clueless as to her thoughts at the moment.

“You look like a girl, sound like one… You are actually a girl right?” She asked, a rather distressing question I must say.

“That’s hurtful you know? Of course I am, or what am I supposed to get groped by you to be certain?” I answered in a slightly strained voice.

“No! Of course not! I’m just uncertain… Why did you suddenly change to look like this? What happened? And why do you stay this way?” She came with a barrage of questions, one that I supposed I could give a bit more clarification than what I said at the start.

“This is just how I am now. People change Yumi, if you have gone through something similar like I did you’ll probably understand why. Well one thing I can say for certain is that I preferred this form, always will… Ah and also I still like girls so don’t try anything questionable” I answered her with clear conviction… She seemed overwhelmed for a bit but quickly composed herself.

“Okay… but how did you have such a form? What’s with the whole Violet Azure Witch deal? I can’t make sense of any of it” She asked for more, not sure if she’ll be happy hearing this… 

“To put it in simple terms Yumi, a human body can still exist and function without a soul, however it doesn’t have a will or intention or direction, becoming vegetable. Tell me Yumi, whose fault was it that I ended up in a coma for three months?” I replied coldly, looking at her for an answer.

“...You’re saying this was my fault and his?” She asked with a heavy tone.

“Well, fault is a strong word. Anyhow my soul got dislocated from my body and moved back in time and space, and when that body died my soul went back to where it was, the original body in coma. With enough magic power and mastery I could turn my body into the other one, a second form if you will, and more preferred as well” I finished my explanation. She seems a bit overwhelmed but this time by my explanation, it is certainly absurd and out of the world, but that’s the conclusion I came to.

“So you can switch at will?” She responded with a more trivial question.

“Yeah, but like I said if I don’t have to I won’t. By the way I already talked with my mother regarding this already, so you don’t have to keep any secret from her” I replied casually seeing that the more serious issue is already covered.

“So you stay like this at home and such?” She asked, sounding a bit curious.

“Yep, I mean why would I not?” I replied as if it’s an obvious answer.

“I see… This all sounds rather complicated” Yumi muttered while making a thinking pose.

“Of course, it’s magic” I replied nonchalantly, which just made her more stupefied at the world at large. I wonder if Ran has anything to say on the matter.

“Say Ran, what do you think about this whole deal?” I asked her which surprised her. She turned her head to look at me.

“I-I think it’s all fine. Nothing bad about it” She said being evasive about the whole deal.

“If you said so. Anyhow Yumi I wasn’t here at the end is there anything they announced to you I’m not privy to?” I replied then went back to talking to Yumi, let’s talk about something at the present.

“Nothing really, the teacher simply said that today we have to listen to some history and then train some more, and then actually fight for real… that sounds dangerous does it not?” Yumi answered. That does sound a bit irresponsible even if there is a hard deadline.

“Well hopefully they don’t bring you somewhere deep in the woods or something, who knows what will be in there” I commented. Within the time of magic where forests are usually left alone all kinds of things take refuge there.

“It does sound extremely risky isn’t it… Will you be there?” Yumi commented and asked, probably confident that if I am there then nothing would go wrong at least on her end. I mean it would probably… actually maybe there’s one thing I could do…

“Possibly, in the afternoon I was to be hanging out with a woman so I don’t want to keep her waiting, maybe if I bring her along it’ll be fine? Something along those line” I said which immediately caught her attention, in a she-can’t-believe-what-she’s-hearing kind of way.

“Wait, you still like girls so… You’re to go on a date with her?” She said in disbelief, probably because it has been only three days including this morning yet I already found a girlfriend supposedly.

“I mean to be fair I’m not thinking of dating and loving her just yet, she’s a bit aloof so I can’t tell if we’re at the acquainted stage or the friend stage, but certainly not lover stage as of now, even you must know that’s way too fast” I replied sounding my opinion on the matter.

”...The way you nonchalantly point that out signifies something doesn’t it?” Yumi noted. She was always observant and pointing stuff out.

“Observant aren’t you?” I commented with a cheeky grin.

“You all always pointed that out, isn’t it obvious at this point?” She snarked, another thing she’s known for in our little group.

“Indeed. Anyhow I’ll try to convince her, and I have something else to do as well, perhaps I’ll leave the lectures early if things get too long” I said then telling her what I might do, she nodded in understanding.

“Okay, I’ll make sure everyone knows of that. Ran you heard her did you not?” She said in acknowledgement and asked Ran.

“Yeah!” Ran quickly replied. 

“Good to hear. I think this is a good time to leave and let you two get some time to gather your thoughts, I have something I have to do myself” I said as I walked over to the door.

“See you later” Yumi said.

“Same here” I replied, turning my head to see her then walking out.

 

#####

 

There’s still some time before the otherworlders have their lecture, what else could I possibly do in the meantime? Perhaps I’ll stroll around the academy, or just mind my business and stay here until the class starts… 

Might as well stroll around, perhaps I could encounter something intriguing, maybe to observe the people here and make sure there’s nothing unsavory going on that my classmates have to deal with, yeah that sounds like a good thing to do, definitely productive. Time to put my armor on just in case… 

 

#####

 

I walked around the hallway and so far nothing noteworthy has taken place, a bit boring but also good in a way, if nothing troublesome happened then my friends won’t face much if any trouble here, put my mind at rest.

…I think a bit more walking and I’ll be at the cafeteria, I wouldn’t be surprised if some people are hanging around here. Hopefully nothing nefarious is happening.

...Finally here and a few people about. It is breakfast time so it makes sense why people are about here, no one I recognize though. Some are grouped up and gossiping, but I’d rather not get involved. I should leave this place, perhaps to the garden.

 

#####

 

I walked towards the garden and saw that there are still people about, appreciating nature I hope. 

I walked over and saw a few girls surrounding someone, I can’t quite make out their face but I believe I know who she is. I feel like a few disdained voices are heard amongst the crowd, I feel like I have some idea what is going on.

The girl in the middle stays silent and tries to stay strong. The girls are mocking her and saying stupid things I couldn’t bother listening to let alone taking seriously. I think I need to shut them up, intimidatingly.

*Whoosh*

“Eeeek!” Some of them let out a sound in surprise as strong winds blowing towards them, they looked towards the direction the winds came from to see me slowly walking over with my deadly and stoic gaze. They’re all terrified, how weak of them.

I walked over menacingly as some of them began walking out of the way silently unable to say anything. I approach the girl sitting on the step which separates the cold hard floor and the grassy garden.

“Who is she?” One of them muttered.

“Probably just some common adventurer” Another replied mockingly, in which I turned around silently with a glare which immediately made her flinch in terror, then look back at Clara, sitting there surprised at my entrance.

“Why are you sitting down so saddened, fair maiden. I believe it’s better for you to appreciate the beauty of the garden instead of contemplating in silence is it not?” I kneel down to meet her at eye level and said so to her gently, reaching my hand towards her. Her face blushed slightly at my stunt while everyone else is left speechless.

She took my hand and we stood up holding our hands together. A bit shameless but nothing I can’t handle.

Everyone else is absolutely speechless as I glance over at them with a graceful yet smug look. They’re clearly not happy but without the courage to oppose me they can only stay silent.

I held her hand and walked together with her out of the scene.

 

#####

 

“Are you alright?” I asked with a caring tone, as we walked away from that group and into my room. To think I talked to her again already, if not exactly a happy note.

“Thanks to you” She said, feeling indebted no doubt.

“Thank goodness. That was terrible of them, are you alright?” I asked, sounding my concern loud and clear.

“It’s okay!” She replied not wanting to make me worried no doubt, that was another story cliche, the heroine stayed strong throughout, but let’s be real here, not everyone is truly that strong, I’m not confident at her strength of mind at all.

“No need to lie to me. It’ll be alright, just say it” I said with a concerned look. She smiled at me warmly.

*Hug*

“It was hard… I’m glad you were there” She said hugging me tight, not caring for the armor in the way. What a sad girl she is.

“I’m also here now, no need to be sorry” I said in a calming tone. Dealing with a saddened girl is nothing new, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t tug at you.

*Sniff*

“I just wish… All of this would end soon” She said so sobbing a little. She seems to sob a bit much.

“Well, when will it end exactly?” I asked her bluntly, since this academy hasn’t been kind to her, when she gets out of it maybe things will be a bit better.

“In about a month” She replied with a straining voice.

“Hmph, well I’ll be there, no need to worry” Delaying the trip home isn’t a problem, as time doesn’t matter in these situations.

“Thank you…” She replied as she stopped hugging me and looked at me in the eyes.

“Well. Stay strong for me, and I’ll be there” I said reassuringly. She smiled at my words. I really can’t stand seeing a girl cry.

“I will!” She said as if steeling herself.

“Good girl… Here, have this with you” I said as I handed over something to her.

“A dagger?” She muttered as she took it, it’s a simple and curved short blade, with a red gem embedded in its small handle.

“I’m a hunter by trade so I have these weapons around, think of it as a good luck charm from me, and if nothing else think of it as a tool to protect you” I explained. It’s the fancy knife made by Echidna, I’m not really planning on using it so I might as well hand it over to her. It’s probably extremely well crafted and high in quality like everything else she made, so there’s that.

“Wow… I’ll cherish it, I swear on my life” She said now looking more confident and assured of herself.

“Heh, well it’ll be fine if you lose it somehow” I noted just in case, the blacksmith can easily make one again if she loses it anyway.

“But I’ll make sure I won’t! I’ll truly keep it safe” She said with clear conviction.

“Regardless of all that, I wish you the best of luck Clara. It won’t be long until your class starts, is it not?” I said with a teasing and caring grin. Her eyes widened like silly and jumped a little, still holding the dagger.

“A-Ah! Right! I’ll have to go now Reiza, thank you so much for everything!” She said and shook my hand for a bit, then walked off, but not before giving me a cute smile of hers.

There sure are some troubled girls about… I really hope nothing goes wrong with either. I really am stupid aren’t I? Helping them out unconditionally, perhaps intruding them a bit… Still I very much wish both best of luck… and regardless of their choices I hope no harm comes to them...

5