Book 3: Chapter 19: Rose: The Determined and Evil
126 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I walked around the hallway of our castle, making sure to analyze and see every important spot of the castle at least, unlike Maova I have only been here over a week, not exactly touring the entirety and knowing all the places inside so far.

This place is absolutely massive, it’s actually bigger than the human castle, almost two times bigger which is absolutely ridiculous, the fact that not people take residence here doesn’t help either. Who could’ve possibly made such a massive palace of black stone?

 

<Flashback Start>

 

“Haaah!” I screamed out with power in my voice and my attack. I concentrated my mana into the slash, converting the mana into more strength and speed.

*Block*

“Not bad so far, maybe you can master this quickly. This along with the teleport spell you want will make you quite formidable” Kaa-san commented as she swatted my attack aside like a breeze. A simple usage of mana for more power that can only be done with enough mastery of manipulating it in the first place.

‘I never taught Maova this by the way, if only because I believe that girl to be creative enough to come up with something of equal strength and utility’ That’s what she said before she told me what she planned on teaching me, as an extra bonus of this course. Admittedly I’m far from the most open minded and creative, but still it’s sting the way she worded it.

“How come no one thought of this?” I commented as I took pause.

“Oh there are people who do, it’s just that not everyone has the same thought pattern. Non-elemental magic is weird, no many dared to rely on pure mana and try to convert it into force or energy when it could be converted into something with more form or purpose, like the elements we all are aware of” She replied casually. She twirled her staff about as she looked at me with observant gaze. 

“Kaa-san, I’ll ask one more time, is there really no consequence for training here?” I asked once more to be certain, we exist in a different world altogether, and therefore time here and in our world are not in sync and therefore we could go back to where we left, same time same place. It all seems both convenient and raises some concern at the same time.

“No. The only real way there are any is if the two worlds, or rather a space of no realm we’re currently in and our world, if there is a portal for example then the time will sync up, this one has no portal to link the two so there won’t be any problem” She explained. It’s essentially limitless training, such a thing is so ridiculous it’s impossible to put into words. Time is priceless, yet here we are disconnected with everything and therefore time doesn’t matter, it’s so overly obscene it’s startling even if you’re the one exploiting it.

“This whole deal is insane” I commented with bewilderment in my voice.

“Yeah. Pretty much the only difficulty after accessing it and setting it up as a livable space is just the supply to stay here and continue to train. Considering we both have space to store up an infinite amount of items it became a non issue, and all that is left is the will to continue” She said sounding a bit sagely.

The fact that with common sense or no this exploitation is nothing short of insanity, I’m glad for it existing… but there’s also one thing that bothered me.

“If you really have access to this then couldn’t you be impossibly powerful than you already are? Or Maova, or Mother, or anyone else for that matter?” I asked her about what has been bothering me. Even if there are no entity to kill to gain power from or treasures that empowers you, the unlimited time to train with no real drawbacks whatsoever-outside of it naturally not livable for most lives without some tweak-is extremely high in utility and with eternal life there’s no consequence with staying here and go back.

“Perhaps, but not many is crazy enough to stay in such an isolated world for so long, and with Maova and Vermilla… Maova I never put her in this space, her training since little was rough enough and the passage of time of the world works as her levity, remove that then it’ll be extremely hellish and long, I don’t need her to be all powerful, I don’t need her to be raised training in such unorthodox way with such hardship and no hope for tomorrow. As for Vermilla I’m afraid she’s probably crazy enough to stay and train for next to forever, so I was always extremely paranoid and always opened a portal to connect wherever we go. Honestly if it weren’t for the fact that you are only here to train a few techniques then I would’ve done the same thing or prohibit it altogether” She explained with surprisingly clear cut reason. She clearly doesn’t want anyone to willingly put themselves through training for next to forever. Despite her sheer might and ability to abuse them to obscene degree she seems rather adamant that no one has to do the same as her. 

Kaa-san, or rather Yeig. The mother of Maova who is an expert on magic and possibly one of the strongest beings to exist. Maova commented on her going through a lot, seeming to believe that she’s perhaps damaged in the past. She seems reluctant with power overall and the aim to reach it, and clearly doesn’t want anyone else to aim for power to that degree. I’m not sure what makes her think this way, but it’s clear there’s a reason behind that. Her intention here is certainly benevolent, even if from how I see it, not giving those she cared for everything they needed to be powerful seems slightly counterintuitive. Surely there’s a way for her to grant power even without rigorous training, a faster way of doing it at least.

“Kaa-san, it’s clear you meant well here, but shouldn’t you have a way of giving power to others? A way for this whole thing to be quicker and easier for everyone involved” I asked. Her face is still that of a smile, but her smile is equal parts gentle and disagreeing with my statement.

“Obsessing with power is a terrible thing my dear. I don’t need someone like that. I just need someone that care” Her statement is short yet seems to cut deep. I think I understand what she meant, she doesn’t want someone who prioritized power over things like love and affection, and she considered doing something like that for others to encourage them to be that way, at least that’s one way to look at it.

“I see…” I replied. Unexpectedly I learned a bit from her, certainly didn’t expect that someone who apparently can be more playful and screw up than Maova with even more power will actually be sagely.

“Anyhow let’s get back to training already! What’s with all these character revelations! We’re not here for this!” And there she goes. Immediately melt away any seriousness from the situation. She probably doesn’t like to be serious.

I’ll say at least it’s pretty clear she can be serious about something, that she does care and can care. She’s random and chaotic. It's hard to tell if what she does is good or bad… but I supposed if she’s genuine at this moment, and if Maova comes to be like this and cares for me so… I don’t think I can really doubt her.

 

<Flashback End>

 

I continue to walk around, after a while we have to go back to the other castle as otherwise it’ll cause suspicion. For now I’ll just walk about then back to Maova… 

 

#####

 

Looking at the clock it should be about time I go back to Maova, she should be in our room still. After we go there I need to stay there and make sure I’m available whenever, and tomorrow apparently there’s a meeting as well, no doubt it’ll be awkward and all, thankfully I managed to convince them to let me bring someone else along, someone who actually enjoys and instigating this whole mess in the first place. Aside from getting girls I don’t see much enjoyment in this, I’m keeping the masquerade for more her sake than mine.

Now I should teleport back to her… I don’t believe I have told her this just yet so I have no idea how she’ll react, if she even will at all.

“Haaah” I breathed out, I have only done this once or twice so I cannot be certain if it’ll be successful or not.

“[Warp]”

*Zoom*

I teleported back to our living room, with her there looking quite bored sitting on the sofa. Noticing me she looked up to see me eye to eye. She’s certainly not reacting in surprise of any sort, it’s as if she already knows. I never specified what I learned from Kaa-san. I gained a few spells and techniques aside from [Warp] and [Mana Burst] and I simply told her dryly that I learned many, I was tired and frustrated so I couldn't be bothered.

“Were you expecting a reaction there?” She asked, sounding a bit amused if still with a bored expression on her face. Seems concealing anything between us will absolutely not work.

“Yes” I replied flat out, despite in hindsight it being impossible to not expect something beforehand.

“Well… I asked Kaa-san immediately when you came back. No chance in anything I’ll let anything slide, it’s concerning that you go to her in the first place” She explained her reason without me saying anything, standing back up still looking me right in the eyes.

“How thoughtful of you” I replied in my usual cold voice. I do mean it even if I didn’t voice it so.

“Of course I’ll be. Partner for life, love for eternity” She said with a smile on her.

She grabbed my shoulder looking a bit assertive, completely different from how she is in bed.

*Zoom*

And here we are both in the room they’ve prepared for us, thankfully no one breaks in or does anything suspicious. 

Her comment just now is very much full of conviction, I need to answer it in kind.

“I heard that loud and clear” I said with a small smile on my face. I give us a small distance and sit down on the bed. It’s a comfy bed but certainly nowhere near the same quality as the one at home sweet home of a massive black castle.

“Now then… I have to go meet up with other adventurers, can’t exactly let the rowdy bunch go unorganized. Also don’t forget that I’ll probably be out for a long while as well, as unfortunate as that is” She said explaining her plans for the day while frowning slightly at the end just like I did.

“I’ll endure it, I’ll make sure no suspicion comes on this end. Also do not forget, I’ll forever be your number one” I replied with great conviction in that last part.

“I absolutely would not” She said with a small chuckle and a grin. This would be the part where she-

*Zoom*

…Teleported away, with that as the uplifting send off. Leaving me alone here for now…

I guess I’ll go out and walk around… I feel like there’s really not much both sides need me to do. Maova just let me do whatever as expected of her, on the other end, the humans are absolutely not giving me anything to do, to relieve my boredom, just to do a task, anything at all. Perhaps they’ll address this issue but as of now, nothing to do… I mean the princess might be around so there’s that.

“Nothing else to do I supposed” I muttered to myself as I got back up on my feet. I have a prey to catch and it’ll be in my interest to secure it quickly. Reaching for the door.

*Open*

I walked out of the room and into the bright hallway. No one else is around besides a few servants, some of them look rather attractive but I think I’ll just stick to securing only one for now.

I continued to walk about in the hallway… Going down the stairs here and to my right and I should be in the hall room, there should be some people about… and perhaps out the castle if possible. All they have instructed of me is to stay put and nothing else.

...I walked into the large room at the entrance to the castle. There are some servants about as well as… no one else. Aside from a few guards and servants there is no one else of importance around, rather unfortunate… 

Perhaps I should go back for now and maybe look around the residence hall, which I’m not completely sure where that is.

 

#####

 

I walked about in the hallway and near the throne room. I think there should be a few people about here to at least inquire about something.

…Let’s see… I believe there should be a few people near the throne room, so let’s go there and… Ah, it’s that prince from yesterday.

“Hmph” He lets out a sigh sounding rather cautious seeing me. He’s a rather strange man to become so suspicious about us both, I’d say it’s irritating.

I didn’t say a word. I simply walked past him and into the central room of the second floor, with the giant red door in the middle.

I passed here once or twice and so far no significant encounter. I could perhaps request an audience with the king but his general attitude is too inherently irritating for me to handle, I’d rather not say a damn thing to him.

Maybe someone will be in the garden perhaps? I believe I sighted one before but never looked around clearly. I should at least make sure everywhere is accounted for before I go wait in my room, just to be sure I didn’t miss anyone being around. I’m not good with socializing so unless someone approached me first or before I can’t see myself talking to them. Hopefully I don’t have to deal with many newcomers, maybe if they seem lovely, like particularly beautiful and sexy… a strange priority but I’d say everyone’s priority can be strange for some while not others, there’s nothing wrong with what I think. Just a selfish thought, everyone has those.

 

#####

 

The grass blowing by the wind, the green floor beautiful yet isolated… There is a gazebo in the middle of this field, and there sat a lone girl… 

“Princess” I called out to her and she noticed me. I walked over to her, her face with an expression of someone who is taken by surprise and relief at the same time.

Wind blows as I approached her in this bright garden, stopping next to her with my hand on one of the seats. 

“Hero!... Ah! I-I mean Rosia!” She replied with a slip up. Looking a bit embarrassed as said slip of the tongue her face went red for a bit.

“Heh, there’s no need to be embarrassed my princess, we all make mistakes sometimes, as people do” I said with a small chuckle. She seems to see that as some kind of teasing if not looking like she’ll actually take offense. As long as she’s willing to be mine I don’t see the point in her disagreeing on anything.

“Y-Yeah…” She replied a bit weakly as I shifted my eyes, looking at the seat, the princess, then back and forth.

“If you would be so kind, perhaps I can have a seat?” I said so politely.

“O-Of course! There’s no need to worry!” She said stuttering a little bit, and what I then noticed is the tea set on the table, only one cup however. 

I observed the set then saw her taking a sip of the tea, she certainly looked graceful doing so despite her stuttering just now… I wonder if there’s anything I could say to perhaps change the mood, or to make her closer in my grasp.

…I have certainly been a bit obsessive in catching this prey of mine in a rather human way, when an easier way to do it most likely existed… Well I was essentially making up for the losses I have in the past, how unfortunate that no one wants to be mine, even with the unwarranted fame and power granted to me… I feel like my mentality has stayed more or less the same, but my behavior isn’t.

I sat down at the seat opposite of hers. Looking her straight in the eyes as the wind gently blows. No one else is around… how strange 

“My princess, if I were to be honest with you… Can I inquire something of you?” I asked her, hoping to ask her about something, perhaps knowing more about her to use it to bring her to my side sooner. Her eyes widened confused at my request.

“W-What is it Rosia?” She asked, still a bit shy around me. Good thing she doesn’t slip up again.

“It’s nothing too important, Your Highness. I just want to ask something of you” I said somewhat casually. 

“What is it?” She asked, looking like she’s filled with curiosity and a bit of nervousness.

“Where are your servants? As the one of royal bloodline I would’ve expected more security than this” I asked. It is concerning from the outside perspective and if she were to be harmed that would’ve been bad, as she’s my prize in all of this, her being damaged would sucked… though Kaa-san or even Maova probably could’ve fixed it somehow if it’s too severe, and if it’s not I could’ve done it myself. If she died it’s a different story however, but maybe Kaa-san would find a way around it somehow, it’s hard to be certain with someone like her.

“Ah… Well honestly speaking it’s just how I usually go around here. My servants are around, like the favorite maid of mine from yesterday. I simply want to stay in a quiet garden is all… but today is a bit different I supposed” She answered with a shy smile. Guess she wants to be alone for a bit, but immediately changed her mind once I came in view.

“I’m honored Your Highness, that you won’t push me away like the rest…” I said with a gentle looking smile. She seems a bit flustered, perhaps realizing how she worded it.

“I-Indeed, I haven’t done this for anyone else, but please Rosia I’m never a cold person, there’s no need to be so humble” She said trying to clear the air.

...Hm? It seems there are some servants around here after all, perhaps realizing an extra presence in the usually peaceful garden. They all came closer… I wonder what could have asked of her to deal with them… then noticed the lonely cup.

“Your Highness, if you’re ever so kind, could you spare me a cup? I want to enjoy the tea in this beautiful garden of yours” I requested which she has taken in surprise but thankfully not in hesitance nor disdain of any kind.

“Very well. I’ll ask my servants to do so. Let’s enjoy the scenery together” She replied happily, looking around to signal to her servants.

With how much I have said to her, I cannot imagine how she will change as I reveal my true self, will she despair? Will she join me regardless of that? None of it really mattered, I just want her as my prize for this whole deal, perhaps an extra if all went well.

I act as the Hero, but I am anything but. I am the villain here, by far am I the most ill-intentioned. Still even if it’s all evil, I’ll still embrace it to get what I want, and what she wants as well.

7