Book 3: Chapter 22: Majo: Who Even Likes Camps?
111 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ah, now should be about time we leave and go out to the gate. We have been sorta resting silently until the time came. It’s really been silent if peaceful in this room.

“Hey Floria, let’s go- Oof” I said so a bit lazily. Rolling out of the bed and met the hard floor. Floria jumped a bit seeing me falling off. Well it’s not that painful compared to something like being burned alive after a bit of torturing and imprisonment, so I’m not that miffed.

“I’m fine” I said as I stood back up without letting out a pained voice. Floria looked a bit concerned but didn’t say anything while I equipped my gears and cloak.

“…So what’s the plan exactly?” She asked just to be certain, all the while scratching her temples.

“We’ll wait at the academy’s gate, and go along with the rest of them. No need to worry I’ll deal with them being noisy and all that” I said stretching and moving my shoulders while sporting a relaxed grin.

“…Are you really going to drop everything you just said?” She asked, sounding a bit bewildered and skeptical. What I said was no doubt a big deal, with my action not helping either.

“What? Regardless of how big of a deal it is we still have something to do. Listen to me Floria. Regardless of how you feel about me when the whole deal is over, it is meaningless in the present time. I just want you to think long and hard about it, without needing to talk to me about it forever and ever, you can do that much can’t you? It’s definitely not something you have dealt with before, and that doesn’t include whatever package you have hidden inside that head of yours. I don’t want to pressure you, so why pressure yourself?” I said, it’s meant to be a heartfelt speech to tell her it’s okay to drop such a heavy topic for now. 

“…Fine. Let’s not talk about this for now” She said a bit hesitantly, probably because she’s unable to answer the rhetorical question.

“Good” I replied gently. We both finished packing up everything, as in her only having her two swords while I stored everything in the [Item Box]. Ready to leave.

 

#####

 

And so here we are waiting for the class and the teachers to come. I can see the transportation out here and there should be enough for us both, if they let us on.

“You two are here early” Someone commented. I look back to see that the woman in the weirdly Japanese clothing, Maova, is the one saying so. I look around and see that other people are not about just yet.

“Where is everyone else?” I asked in response. 

“They’ll come soon. Anyhow sorry for the way those adventurers have acted, I’ll cut their checks. Heh” She said so a bit mischievously… For some reason I feel like I’ve felt similar irritating energy somewhere before.

“Well you honestly don’t have to go that far… On there they are” I replied then commented on the crowd behind her, which she looked back at and back at us.

“Alright, everyone is here. Time to go to the carriages. There should be enough space for both of you” She said so to us. So there is enough space for us, good to know even if we’ll probably travel faster without it, just so everyone is on the same phase.

“Nice. So who is on which exactly?” I asked just so we could get on immediately.

“Hmm… Well honestly I was planning to put every adventurer in the same cart, but it seems neither of you really care or even like them that much, so… Actually aren’t you acquainted with the one half of the class? You could go on their carriage, it’s the third in the front” She explained while pointing at the one she designated for us. Yeah that’ll work.

“Okay. You heard her Floria let’s go there” I said, dragging Floria along to it.

…Soon we’re in the carriage, it’s pretty big and certainly looks like those carriages in fantasy stories. There should be enough space for the four as well including us.

“Certainly doesn’t expect transportation” She commented dryly.

“Well it is a bit much from a certain outlook, and I sure don’t need such a transportation as well. Still considering how many people there are, and no doubt the training will be very tiring, transportation is needed for them” I said explaining why it’s used here. 

She looked rather disinterested about my explanation… I think I heard some footsteps nearby, I guess they’re now here.

“Ah… Hi Reiza” Mitsuka greeted, surprised at my appearance along with Floria. Yumi, Ran, and Kioshi are also here and look a bit nervous at the new face as well.

“Hey there. Just get in, she’s just someone I know” I said with a welcoming tone, and everyone silently get on.

…Soon everyone got in with no problem and waited.

…Maova is walking around, no doubt checking to see that everyone is where they should be and all that.

“Alright! Everyone’s here!” She said loudly as she walked to the front.

*Rumble*

Now the carriages began moving. It certainly does. Everyone is silent as it continues to move. There’s certainly not a lot to say for certain… Everyone in the same carriage as mine takes a glance at Floria but only for a while. I think her presence makes them a bit uncomfortable since she’s very much an outsider.

“So… Is this the woman you talked about?” Yumi suddenly asked and broke the silence. Floria looked at me a bit concerned, while everyone else also looked a bit intrigued.

“Yeah… I mean who else?” I replied so. I’m not sure what I should elaborate on to not make either side look at me questionably. Yumi crossed her arm and looked at us with quite inspecting eyes. 

“I see… Is she not a chatty type?” Yumi asked further.

“Yeah, so if all possible just ask about her through me… Is that fine? That’s fine right?” I replied and then asked Floria, hopefully I didn’t say anything wrong.

“It’s fine” Floria replied. She really likes articulating with only a few words.

“Yeah, as I said” I then said so to my classmates. They all seemed too considerate to ask any further however considering their silence. Well this just turned a bit awkward now isn’t it? At least Floria is fine with this.

I should at least separately converse with both sides, just so both sides will be more comfortable as the carriages continue to move. Now who should I talk to first?... Well at least I have talked for a while with Floria so I should strike up conversation with my classmates first.

“So how confident are you all at fighting? It’s only been two days, less even, that you all have to train, how is it all going?” I asked, striking up the conversation with everyone. No one in particular looks exactly proud or confident, as to be expected.

“Well, I think I got stronger, not that that’s saying much” Mitsuka said so skeptically.

“I can certainly try out some moves, but I have no idea how good that’ll be against monsters” Kioshi added. It seems none of them are enthusiastic about it at all. There’s no cheat and such when one cross worlds, but at least there’s a boost that is quite practical, so I think that should be something to take solace in at least.

“What about you Yumi?” I asked, turning my head to look at her. 

“I do think I am getting better… But from the looks of it people here are just way better” She said so not sounding much better. I do think the main problem is the lack of levels they are getting, as all they did is training, which while providing a boost to growth as well as a small amount EXP it certainly isn’t enough for a level… It’s honestly hard to use these game terminologies for real life stuff without sounding ridiculous, but it certainly exists… Of course it’s hard to tell why it exists or if it’s intentionally similar to game mechanics, which is something man-made.

“What about you Ran? Any spells?” I then turn my head to look at and ask Ran.

“Uhh… A few spells I guess. I mainly just learn healing magic” She said, not sounding the most confident either. It’s pretty clear the lack of actual performance in the field is having an effect on them. Well this outside activity should help, even if it’s hard to be safe with this whole thing.

“Hm. Hm. Well we’ll see how well you all will do when you all actually start fighting for real. Anyhow Floria how is your first day fighting anyway? Just to give them some idea” I commented then turn to Floria and include her in the conversation.

“It’s hard, no training, no nothing. It’s such a pain and I honestly have no idea how I even slightly thrive out there” She recounted not sounding too proud or even nostalgic about it.

“Okay then! Let’s move on!” I announced feeling like everything goes wrong in the conversation.

*Clap* *Clap*

“Alright! So- Oh, we’re at the gate already?” I was about to change the topic then realize that the carriages reached the gate already. Everyone else tries to look out the carriage to confirm my statement and no doubt their own guess.

Now I supposed it won’t be very long until we get out and into the wild. Still perhaps I could chat with them in peace for a bit on the carriage- Oh there are a few guards about, probably to inspect the carriages, nevermind then, no conversation for now.

“There are... fifteen people in total not including me. Also the supplies are in the back, the rest are for the passengers” Someone outside the carriage said so, obviously it’s that woman. Seems like she’s informing on the content of the carriages and all that. Better not say anything out loud less I attract unnecessary attention.

…A few guards take a glance but no more. They all seem to be moving around still inspecting and all that. Considering this should be approved by the royalty one would expect the guards to already be informed about this, or maybe they do and still do extra checks regardless? Anyhow I would’ve expected this to be done way sooner

“That’s a wrap right? Anyhow let us pass already” Maova said, sounding pretty casual. There is both dry irritation and condescending irritating energy in her tone, both of them remind me of two not exactly pleasant memories...

*Rumble*

Soon the carriage began moving again. Now we’re really moving out of the capital city. Hopefully there’s no bandit or wild monster out in the field. I have never seen anything like that while flying so maybe neither would happen.

…Now it would probably be better to just talk after we got to the destination. Probably better to talk with them about putting their training in practice than before it, putting a bit too much pressure. As for Floria, she doesn’t have any real stake in this practice, so I don’t think she’s particularly distressed, and therefore maybe I could strike up a conversation with her during this.

*Rumble*

Hopefully this silence wouldn’t last long…

*Rumble*

Hah… Well I could wait, it’s boring but I could tolerate it… I think I heard some chatting from another carriage, how freaking loud is that group for me to hear it from here?

 

#####

 

“Here we are! Everyone get out!” Maova shouted energetically soon after the carriages stopped. She walked around the carriages inspecting to make sure everyone was about no doubt. That was about an hour trip, for what I could tell is anywhere in the 80 kilometers range. I must say the horses in this world, or maybe just the time period, is surprisingly fast, considering it’s dragging multiple carriages.

We all got out of the carriages we were in, the otherworlders, the adventurers, Floria.

I saw a forest with a path into it as well as a cottage I believe… Is this some sort of camp site? Seems possible. 

“Alright, everyone follow me in the forest” Maova instructed as she went in first and everyone else followed her. It’s certainly a nice and well thought out route inside the forest, wondering if it’s possible for monsters to jump us or not.

“Floria, have you been here before?” I asked as we continued to walk further into the forest. It’s been just a walk from this point on.

“No, I have seen it from afar before but that’s about it” She commented. Should’ve expected that.

“By the way, since the trip is quite long on the way back as it is coming here. You all have to go back home rather late unfortunately” Maova pointed that out rather casually even if it’s probably bothersome for a few. I think I could hear some groaning from the other otherworlders as she said so. It’s none of my business if I just teleported back with Floria along after this is all over.

Suddenly Maova turned around to face all of us with a brief pause.

“Well. You could try going home yourself if you want. I REALLY want to do that as well, unfortunately, job’s a job” She said staring at us blankly as if her soul has been sucked out of her body. It’s clear she’s not a big fan of this teaching and supervising gig. Considering what she most likely is, I’m surprised she even took the effort. I mean a helpful vampire isn’t exactly common, if she’s even really helpful, if her intention even matches her actions.

Everyone just went silent after hearing such an unfortunate, heartbreaking, and all too real feeling of having a job that took up so much time. No one even had the intention to raise a voice in objection anymore let alone dared to do it. Considering being an adventurer is an actual legitimate thing people can be, I feel like having a schedule-heavy job is way less common and therefore less people who are considerate about it.

...We just continued to walk until we reached an entryway, which would bring us further into the forest. 

“This place is a well established camp from what I know, for newbie adventurers and students at the academy to enter and prove their skill, with the monsters inside should be rather weak for you all to reasonably handle… I believe that’s what I’ve been told, hopefully nothing bad happened” Now that you said that something bad probably will happen. 

There are a few buildings beside the entrance, no doubt for lodging when needed, as a certain safe space for anyone needing to take a rest, from injury or fatigue.

“While I would like everyone to enter at the same time so this whole thing can be over quickly, I think we’re all too big of a crowd to enter at the same time, no doubt more than a few would’ve been left vulnerable to whatever hidden danger there may be in the forest. Now I have also already planned that. Everyone but the one group will have to stay in the building here, and the adventurers will all be accompanying the group that went in, just for maximum security. Please don’t try to leave the campus as that is no doubt a suicide. Anyhow before we started is there anything you want to ask?” Maova announced. I think I would also accompany every group as well if possible, but unfortunately I’m not sure how Floria will deal with it.

“Hey Floria, how do you think about accompanying me? Seems a bit troublesome isn’t it?” I whispered, being considerate for her. 

“That should be fine. Anything I need to follow?” She replied not sounding as afraid as I thought she would be.

“Just… Huh…” I was about to explain but realize I don’t exactly know much myself.

“What’s the rule regarding encountering monsters? No doubt one would want the trainees to be the one fighting them isn’t that right?” I suddenly said so to Maova. Who probably expects a question, just now from me.

“Ah right you weren’t part of this plan initially. If possible I want you to keep an eye out for monsters within the forest, try not to kill them and let the newbies deal with them. If any monsters are deemed too dangerous you can kill them, don’t let them near the students” Maova muttered so at first then explained clearly to me.

“You heard her right?” I then turn to ask Floria again.

“Indeed” She replied dryly. Well at least it’s a positive response.

“Anything else?” Maova asked out loud.

“What if we got seriously injured?” Sarah asked in response.

“Well I do have a pretty strong healing spell so if nothing else you’ll probably recover quickly… but I get it that since you all are not used to pain it’ll be hard to recover from it, so really we’ll just bring you back here quickly to rest if all possible” Maova replied. The first part is certainly reassuring in the wrong way, but she fixed it with her second response thankfully. Yeah I don’t think they’re all used to pain, which is important in battle… Though considering how tough she was with her two apprentices they might be fine… Just maybe.

“Anything else?” Maova asked.

…And silence. I feel like people should ask more questions, but I guess they just don’t feel like it in this camp environment. It does feel like those camps where people are generally much harsher with stricter rules. I never really get camps really, it’s such a pain.

“Alright then! Guess we got nothing… The first team is going to be… Ran, Sarah, and Bran. You three will go up first” Maova announced as I can hear the voice of that rude guy being quite disgruntled, he certainly is disgruntled with many things I have noticed.

Anyhow that’s the first party of this escort mission. With Floria along the way I shall make sure everything is alright.

6