Book 3: Chapter 23: Majo: Spells and Goblins
106 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first party and the adventurers, including me and Floria, go further into its depth. Unfortunately from the sounds of it I don’t think we’ll actually meet any humanoid creatures if the teacher’s words are reliable.

The three who are with us are all equipped with the appropriate gear, but I could’ve sworn that rude guy said he would’ve punched anything through but now he uses a sword.

Honestly this place is pretty barren with lives I feel like. Perhaps the monsters are deeper in? Or perhaps…

“Oh? There’s a group hiding over there” Maova suddenly called out while gripping the sword in her hand tight. Everyone else immediately began arming themselves as well.

“Keeek!” A shriek can be heard, a high pitch yet monstrous shriek.

*Leap*

Suddenly a group of goblins leaped out of the woods into the clearer setting, with them surrounding us quickly.

“You three get in the middle quickly, this is no time to get reckless” Maova instructed the three otherworlders and they all silently comply, no doubt too overwhelmed by the situation they’re actually in to say anything, with Ran looking particularly scared if staying strong.

Certainly not a good start to this activity. Goblins are social creatures which in itself make them way more dangerous than most even with the lack of power.

“Do we kill most or all?” I asked as I brandished my two blades. The goblins at this point aren’t making a move just yet, but they might in a few seconds. Maova better give an instruction quickly.

“Most” She replied firmly. 

“Keeek!” A screech from some of the goblins are heard. 

*Leap*

They’re leaping towards us with no clear target.

*Slice* *Slash* *Stab* *Smack* *Slash* *Stab* *Slash*

The goblins were weak, so just a smack towards its leap immediately killed all of them except for the one smack away by the mage, as he doesn’t have a good enough weapon for the job. Now only the injured goblin and a few not approaching us are left. Five in total.

*Slice*

Four, one tries to sneak past us to the three, and I slice it in half in response. Now they’re becoming hesitant in their movement.

“Oi, you three. Think you can take them?” Maova suddenly asked as everyone just stood there on guard, both sides.

“I mean…” Sarah was about to answer but ultimately unable to come up with an answer.

“Everyone scatter!” Maova suddenly yelled out. I think I know what that meant.

*Leap*

Everyone except the three jumped out of the circle and scattered. Leaving the three to themselves, much to their surprise and no doubt the goblins.

“Wha!?” Ran yelled out , taken completely off guard by everyone bailing out. We’re all a good distance away, but enough to be able to step in when needed. This is quite Spartan I’d say.

“Keeek!” A goblin yelled out as it and its companion immediately closed in on the three.

*Swing* *Evade* *Slash*

Bran tried to swing at one of them but it jumped away, but not before Sarah covering its movement and slash at it, incapacitating it.

“Ugh…” Sarah groaned sounding very uncomfortable, no doubt at the goblin’s blood on her sword. Three left.

“[Fire… be my-

*Leap* *Block* *Slash*

Ran began chanting, which caught the attention of the remaining three goblins. They tried to jump her in response but Sarah and Bran jumped in to guard her.

“-might and be guided toward my foe]!” Ran finished casting as heat no doubt formed, which alerted the two to get out of dodge. 

*Sizz*

The fireball is sent towards a goblin and burns it to a crisp. The two remaining goblins immediately run away panicking. Guess that’s the wrap on this battle.

Ran looks a bit taken aback by what she has done while the other two take a deep breath.

We all walked towards them all the while.

“Good job you three. Just do this a few more times and you’ll be out before you know it” Maova said encouragingly. That was needed for them considering that’s their first real battle, they need all the support they can get since they’ve never dealt with such a tense situation no doubt.

Maova walked about and scouted the area for a while.

“You okay there kid? You did great out there just like she said, same with you as well” The swordsman said to Bran and Sarah.

“As for you that spell was exquisite” The mage said to Ran. 

“What do you think of their performance?” I asked Floria who was by my side.

“Could’ve done better I guess” She replied dismissively. Guess she’s very much not interested in this whole deal.

“Okay, the coast is clear for now” Maova said as she walked back to us while the three are squatting down and resting. She looked at the group and saw their tired state.

I must say the training arc so far has gone better than I would’ve thought. I would’ve expected people to be way more disorganized or for something terrible to happen immediately. I guess not… Still the fact that goblins existed in itself is a problem, they’re weak for being monsters but far from unintelligent. Hopefully the group back at the camp doesn’t have to deal with this… Actually would they be fine if there’s any monsters nearby? There’s no supervisors nearby as far as I can tell…

“Hey Maova. Considering there’s goblins about and their crafty nature shouldn’t we have someone back at the camp?” I approached her and asked so. She makes a thoughtful gesture in response.

“You have a good point. It’s not as if we need everyone here to protect the trainees. Still who should go back? Anyone in particular think they’re better at defending the base?” Maova replied with a positive and asked the other adventurers.

“I’m not too good with expeditions, so I’m willing to drop out” The mage said.

“I will as well” The spearwoman said. That’s two who choose to drop out.

“Anyone else?” Maova asked looking over others.

…And there is no response. Guess only two are willing to drop out.

“Alright you two. Go back to the camp. Tell them about the situation as well” Maova then instructed the two and both of them quietly walked back to the camp. Now there are five adventurers left… Is Maova even an adventurer? I mean it really doesn’t matter. It’s still five experienced fighters.

“Anyhow are you three done taking a break? We should keep going soon. The sooner we’re done the better” Maova then asked the three. Who at this point stood back up and seems to have already recovered.

“Yeah, I’m alright” Bran responded, while the two seems to silently agree.

“Very well. Let’s go further in” Maova said as she continued, walking deeper into the forest. All of us of course followed her further in.

“Reit- Reiza, won’t it be more dangerous going in?” Ran suddenly asked me as we continued walking.

“Yeah, but if you can deal with it then we can move on to the next group. It’s a bit of a harsh start but I’m sure you can do it” I replied trying to give her some hope. 

“I would say you’re doing fine so far” Sarah chimed in as soon as I finished replying.

“Alright. Stop” Maova suddenly announced as we kept walking.

“What is it?” The swordsman asked as he brandished his sword.

“Slimes incoming” Maova announced. She has very good eyesights I must say. The forest is a bit dark and all that.

“Alright you three. Just hit the core… They’re cored slimes right?” I said to the three then just asked Maova if the slimes indeed do have cores.

“Yeah. Just hit the core” She replied casually. Well this’ll be easy to deal with.

“They’re weak offensively, so chances are you don’t need or help even if they outnumbered you” I added for the three to know.

“Guess we’ll let them go right in isn’t that right?” The swordsman asked for confirmation.

“Sounds like it” The archer commented.

“Exactly as you said” Maova said as she backed off along with everyone else except the trio. They’re all pretty nervous but that’s it.

“C’Mon, walk” Maova prompted them as the slimes can barely be seen from this spot. They really have to get in close to see them clearly.

They began walking forward, while we’re all in the back. Continue to walk forward, rather cautious movement from the three. Slimes in general aren’t that strong, but they’re near impossible to kill if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Soon the slimes are clearly within sight. Not exactly on the path but rather in the woods nearby. It’ll be a bit bothersome to navigate and kill no doubt, but I don’t see why they can’t do it.

“Alright you three, get in there and kill them already” I said to them authoritatively, which no doubt made them tense up.

*Dash*

Bran immediately dashed in hearing that. 

*Swing* *Splash* *Crack*

We all also rushed in to not miss the result. He attacks one of them and shatters their core successfully. Slimes are generally passive even under attack, so even a novice like him can kill it easily. Of course the slimes also got on him a bit much to his chagrin thanks to him swinging so wildly.

*Leap* *Stab* *Crack*

Sarah meanwhile does the job much more cleanly. Stabbing instead of slashing.

“This is gross” She commented. Even though she made way less mess it seems she’s not a fan.

“[Arrow of Light. Blast]!” Ran chanted out.

*Beam* *Crack* *Crack*

What is essentially a laser beam appeared and pierce through two slimes and their core. A double kill, impressive even if it’s no doubt a fluke. Everyone backed off after each getting at least a kill.

There’s still a few slimes left, but considering their rather passive nature I wonder if that’s a good idea. Well more EXP the better but I don’t know if others will-

“Good job, now kill the rest. More experience for you all the better. Kill them all!” Maova noted and commanded. That’s a… weirdly worded statement. It’s basically what I said without mentioning the [World System]. That’s a red flag I’d say. Just what is up with her? At least her intention here seems good, for now at any rate.

*Slash* *Stab* *Stab* *Slash*

Both Bran and Sarah rush in and kill the rest of the slimes nearby while Ran is too slow to kill any. It’s unfortunate but unless one could do either few or no word chant it’s impossible to catch up. Magic is generally harder to defend against than physical attacks but also more difficult to use, it’s very much not a newbie friendly choice of attack.

“Floria, what do you think about this?” I asked Floria, feeling like she should talk a bit more.

“It’s unfortunate. Perhaps if she was alone it wouldn’t be a problem” She replied sounding a bit more emphatic than I would’ve thought. Guess everyone has to feel some pity from an unfair situation.

“Well this is a bit of a downer…” Maova muttered looking at the situation with a slight frown. Everyone else present also doesn’t look that pleased either.

Soon with every slime nearby killed the two western kids look pretty satisfied with themselves, if equally feel uncomfortable from the slimes splattered everywhere, while Ran looks rather down unable to get a kill after that.

“Alright everyone! Let’s gather for a bit” Maova announced soon after the slimes in the area are dealt with. Everyone quickly grouped up on the path.

“You two did very well I must say. Certainly pass what I would’ve considered the benchmark for today… But the girl over there doesn’t get much action at all, it’s annoying to see honestly” Maova said with a small frown. Shaking her head and then eyeing Ran.

“We’ll have to search for monsters for her specifically to fight, before then we can’t just go back” Maova stated scratching her head. It’s as if if they didn’t kill steal everything they would’ve gone back already… Well that sounds bad. Essentially it’s one person who weighs the rest down… Maybe I can do something about it?

“Hey Maova. Would it be fine for me and Floria to guide Ran through the training while the rest of you go get a different group?” I suggested not really certain of her response. The adventurers are rather bewildered while Maova doesn’t look particularly skeptical.

“That’s fine with me… Yeah… That’ll actually work… Yep, you two accompany Ran, make sure she gets more experience” Maova said and muttered to herself. Giving us her approval which seems to confuse the other adventurers a little bit.

“Thank you. You heard her Ran” I replied gratefully and gestured at Ran to group up with us. It’s a strange thing for Maova to agree to but certainly worth it if her intention is indeed good.

Now the group is split in two. First one is Floria, Ran, and I. Second group is the swordsman, the archer, Maova, Bran, and Sarah.

“Okay. We’ll go right back. If possible you should reconvene with us if you met us on the way back to the camp. Let’s go everyone, we can’t let the rest keep waiting” Maova said as she bid us a temporary farewell, walking back to the camp along with the rest of the second group.

Now it’s really just us three, and our task is to make sure Ran gets a few more kills.

“Okay then Ran. Let’s get this done quickly so no one has to worry, okay?” I said trying to encourage her. No doubt slowing down others, intentionally or not, is a pretty sour experience for her that’s hard to shake off.

“Hai…” She muttered, sounding a bit discouraged. Well we’ll fix that problem soon enough.

“Alright then Floria, let’s be sure this unusually small girl gets her scores” I said starting our independent task, with her not responding. Now we need to go deeper in, as we already cleared the rest of the monsters near the path already. Either we have to go off path or further down this less than well defined path someone has made. I think I’ll… Yeah let’s go off path in case we find something.

“Alright everyone. Maybe it’s time to go off path. I know it’s dangerous but let’s do it” I said as I walked off the path into the deep woods, with the two following me from behind.

Ran seems a bit distressed walking around the woods while both Floria and I are doing fine. Now let’s go deeper into the woods, off the beaten path.

“Uhh…” Ran let out a voice sounding a bit distressed. She’s really not that well suited for traveling, but she just had to endure it, for now at least.

“No complaining Ran. You’ll be fine” I said casually as I continued to navigate further into the forest.

*Rustle*

I think I heard almost a crowd nearby… But what monsters could come in a crowd…!

*Throw* *Strike*

“Cheap tricks” I muttered as a stone was thrown towards me and I struck it with my metal glove. I look in the direction of the attack and it’s more goblins. Guess the two that get away bring more problems, either that or a different group.

“It'll be hard for her to use spells in the narrow woods won’t it?” Floria suddenly noted, and she’s not wrong.

“Yep, we need to lure them out if possible, either that or have Ran use a more controlled spell. Ran can you do- Hup! That!”

*Strike*

Another projectile that I block. I’m not sure if Ran can do well enough with her spells for that just yet.

“I-I’m…” She’s clearly unsure of herself- Is that a goblin archer up ahead?

*Shoot* *Catch*

Nice try you little gremlin. 

*Throw* *Pierce*

“Keeek!” I killed the archer with its own arrow and it cried in agony. Floria at this point also brandished her two swords while standing guard.

*Throw* *Throw* *Parry* *Parry*

Using her two swords she successfully parried the incoming stone throws. This is no good, I guess the former option it is.

*Dash* *Grab* *Slam*

I grabbed two goblins and slammed them against the floor to incapacitate them.

*Kick*

I kicked one that tried to rescue its companions.

*Zoom*

“Wha!?” Ran let out a voice sounding surprised. I teleported back to them.

“We’re outta here! Too much of a hassle. Floria carries Ran with you!” I announced as we began moving immediately.

“Right!” Floria answered as she quickly put her swords away and-

*Lift*

Lift Ran up and ran with me out of deep woods to the main path.

*Roar*

Don’t tell me a hobgoblin is nearby… This is why goblins are such a pain… At least Floria should be able to deal with it.

Soon we’re back on the path. No doubt with more company behind us.

*Throw* *Crash*

I threw the two goblins down and let them get a face full of dirt.

“Ran, you kill the two quickly. Floria go deal with the goblins pursuing us” I commanded the two as I observed their action.

“Hear hear” Floria replied as she brandished her swords again.

“[F-Fire be my might and be guided toward my foes]!” Ran nervously chanted through her staff and-

*Sizz*

The burning of the flesh and cries full of agony can be heard. The fire launched at the two near death goblins and killed them. Meanwhile Floria…

*Roar*

Is fighting against a hobgoblin going through the trees. Its massive club in hand with a bestial yet devious face. Ran who looked back to see the scene horrified.

*Swing*

The big monster swings its club towards its ‘prey’ as if confident in its victory already. Floria who stood still isn’t fearful at all. The attack coming from her left and above is soon to hit her.

*Evade*

She ducked under it and slide to the left with near seamless movement. And what’s to come is no doubt a slaughter.

“Not even close” She muttered with the sound of an emotionless killing machine.

*Slash* *Stab* *Slice*

Multiple blade works cut through the monster with great mastery and blitzing speed. First at its leg, then its right side, then cutting its right arm clean off.

*Roar*

Another roar that’s more like a cry in pain and pleading for mercy. It’s a one-sided battle with a clear winner. With the goblin literally disarmed she moved to its front again.

*Stab*

Her blades run through its testicles like mad. At this point the match is already over. Ran looks at the scene equally mesmerizes as she is terrified.

*Leap* *Slice*

Then she jumped up high and sliced its head clean off its mighty body.

*Land* *Crash*

While she landed back gracefully her opponent is but a bloodied corpse on the ground. It was a landslide victory.

“““Keeek!””” Unfortunately more troubles are afoot. Goblins are still about even if they’re weak. At this point I’d rather let them take a break here and deal with this myself. 

*Spark* *Blast*

I immediately blast a large amount of electricity towards the area the goblins are coming from and frying them all. Through the trees and everything in the way to hopefully kill them all.

*Lit*

Ah crap. I was hoping that wouldn’t happen. Seems things began litting up.

“Floria water please!” I asked Floria hoping she could put up the fire. While I could do it myself I really want her to try using the water spell for real since she has proficiency for it.

“[Water Flood]!” She chanted with her arm up and towards the burning woods.

*Splash*

The wave of water completely overwhelmed the burning woods and the crisis was averted.

“Phew! That was awesome of you” I let out a sigh of relief and complimented her. All the while Ran seems to try to relax after seeing everything so far.

“Let’s go back Ran, I’m sure that’s enough for you for today” I said patting her head. All the while Floria finished putting her weapons away.

“Now that everything is dealt with on our end, let’s go back” I said to them taking the lead to regroup with the main group. Would be nice if we met again on the way back.

4