Book 3: Chapter 28: Majo: Meeting is Troublesome
110 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I finally arrived at the castle, right at the entrance where some of the people involved should be at this point and time. Let’s see where they are so I could be certain of the details of the meeting.

Right in the main hall on the first floor. It’s big and grandiose in red, white, and gold. A few people are about but obviously many of them are servants just tidying up the place, as well as a few knights guarding the place of course, though against the one causing this whole mess in the first place there’s no way they could do anything. Now where is that woman? She should be around here if that letter is any indication… There she is.

I walked over to her, who was waiting there patiently, clearly not doing anything. She noticed me walking over to her and looked at me a bit callously.

“Here you are. Good thing you showed up quickly… About five minutes earlier than what I have said” She said while chuckling a little bit while scratching the back of her head. I’m still not sure what her deal is, all I hope is thatbut it isn’t malicious and aimed at my classmates and those I came to know here, and really just nothing too destructive in general as well.

“Is that so? I don’t think it matters too much, there is still a lot of time before the meeting is it not? What exactly would be we talking about anyway? I know I have to report on the progression of my fellow otherworlders but I doubt that’s all there is to it is it not?” I replied with a question of my own. Let’s see what she has to say.

“Hmm… Well we have to discuss the planning of training them up more, while still many days left the progress isn’t good enough. Also we have to discuss the expedition into the hideout of the Demon Lord… Apparently they thought trying to find something that will leave them alone for a long time is a good idea” She answered while snarking at the last bit, how savvy of her, not even including the fact that from everyone else’s perspective that wasn’t exactly obvious.

“I don’t think fear makes people rational” I noted in a slightly exasperated voice.

“Right… Sorry that was silly of me, that should’ve been clear with common sense” She replied, sounding slightly nonchalant about her mistake. Well this isn’t the meeting just yet with the big guns about so she won’t have to worry about spilling anything out just yet, so I get her current nonchalant attitude.

“Anything else worth taking our time thinking?” I asked, hoping to learn more about this before the time came. She ponders for a bit after I say so.

“What else… Well the knights of the kingdom are being trained and they’ll probably discuss the plan for that as well. Also the expedition I was talking about wasn’t just about the Demon Lord either, but also any demons that might exist here in this land, and how we can detect them. Of course there could be more but this is all I think are worth mentioning” She replied disinterestedly. That’s thankfully not a lot for me to ponder on, but like she said I doubt this is all they have to talk about.

“I see… How long would this meeting be exactly?” I responded with another question. If at all possible I would like to leave early to perhaps make my own plan for the whole deal, as well as visiting with the people I have made a connection with.

“Hah… a few hours really, shouldn’t be more than three” She said, sighing no doubt at the length. Hopefully I don’t actually have to stay for that long of a discussion.

“That sucks” I noted.

“Yep. Hopefully we can leave early, I really don’t think Rosia is made up for that place” She commented. Rosia… is that the Hero’s name? I feel like it is.

“I don’t think I am as well” I replied, shaking my head all the while.

“Well I’ll try to draw the attention away from you two if all possible then. I’ll make sure they don’t try anything stupid so no need to worry” She responsed with quite a bold statement. Is her intention really not a bad one? Or is it a case of pragmatism. If what I speculate is correct she’s obviously not completely on the human's side, so she might actually be only doing good because it makes sense… Or perhaps to control the narrative and the destruction that will ensue? I can tell there’s something up with her but so far nothing too concrete just yet.

“Hm? Anything on your mind?” She called out seeing my face lost in thoughts no doubt. Was I that transparent?

“Nothing important” I replied with a straight face. Hopefully that’ll convince her.

“Hmm… Well as long as you don’t try anything too funny I think that’s fine” She said a bit dismissively as she looked around a bit. Seems she’s trying to see if anyone else is nearby, it would be quite rude if anyone else were to eavesdrop after all.

“So… What else is there to talk about before the meeting?” I asked feeling like we should perhaps wrap this up quickly.

“Hmm… Ah right the place we’ll be at. The second floor, go up the stairs at the end of the left or right hallway. Should see a big door immediately that is on both sides after you walk up the stairs. They lead into the meeting room” She told me the place. Honestly that’s not exactly the best explanation she could’ve given I feel like. Maybe I should wait near the stairs at least when the time comes.

“Thanks… Ah, where should I wait for the time being? It’s still a few hours before the meeting is it not?” I asked her so I could go elsewhere. I’m not really too comfortable with this regal setting with a few people about.

“Ah, just below the meeting room there’s a place for us to take a break. You can go and wait there for now. As for me I’ll have to meet up with my partner, she should come here shortly after” She helpfully answered. Glad there’s somewhere I could just wait.

“Thank you. Then I’ll get going, see you later” I replied as I walked away, simply waving my hand towards her and left, and she did so in kind silently.

Let’s go to the waiting room and just stay there. Hopefully nothing comes up in the meantime.

 

#####

 

Many sofa and tables about. This is quite a fancy place with a few magical lamps about to make this place. There’s no one else around, I think I could slacks about without anyone bothering me, if that's the case, let’s see where I should take my rest… I think here will be a good spot.

 

#####

 

“Excuse me” A feminine voice can be heard.

“Hwah? Oh hi there lady, who are you?” I opened my eyes to see the woman who is staring at me sleeping in the corner of the room. Weird she noticed me. I specifically choose here because it’s obscured by all the sofa and table and all that.

“Ah. Apologies, I must’ve disrupted your nap. My name is Delith. I’m one of the royal mages” She introduced herself while sounding slightly apologetic. She’s rather generic looking if that makes any sense. People in the past are much more prone to having rather eye-catching appearances. More variants in hair colors and eyes for example. She has just a simple brown while dressing in a blue robe.

“And I am Reiza. Otherworlder and leader of the otherworlders as well” I introduced myself as well. 

“Otherworlders… I did indeed hear about such a thing… Are you perhaps attending the meeting? That’s why I’m here as well” She asked me, no doubt feeling a bit curious.

“Yeah. How long do we have left until the meeting starts again? Sorry but I was napping” I asked her in return after a dismissive sounding answer.

“It should be in about an hour so you have a lot of time left. I believe everyone else will come here to wait as well, the servants should come here to notify us when the meeting will begin so I don’t think we have to worry that much” She explained. That’s definitely a piece of information Maova didn’t mention.

“Ah. That’s good to know… Is there perhaps something you know about the meeting that most probably aren’t aware of just yet? I feel like I haven’t been disclosed much if at all” I requested. While I do know a bit from Maova I think I should try to gather my information from more than just one source.

“Hmm… Expedition against the demons. Training plan for the otherworlders. Training of the armies. Developing plans to deal with the threat. Those kinds of things should be discussed. Also please try to not be disrespectful towards His Majesty, I know you’re from a different world but here… that doesn’t fly” She answered with a warning that should be pretty obvious. Yeah there are a few things Maova didn’t mention, but they’re also not what I’m interested in.

“I see. Thank you miss” I replied as I went to take a nap on the floor in the corner again.

“R-Right… I’ll make sure no one disturb you until the meeting began” She said, perplexed at my nonchalance no doubt.

Alright… Time to lay down and get a nice time-killing nap…

…I could hear the door opening, it seems people began entering the room as times passed and people arrived at the castle.

“You’re here early” A man noted, no doubt at the woman who greeted me earlier.

“I don’t want to take my chance if I could help it” She replied. I feel like I should just ignore this conversation entirely and just rest. I have no need for these talks.

 

#####

 

I feel like I got quite a good nap there, I should wake up now and be ready for the meeting, can’t possibly miss it.

I got a few questioning looks as I stood up and stretched around for a bit. There are a bit more people than expected. Guess they came in while I was taking my nap. No one really stands out among the crowd except for this guy who has orange hair and green eyes.

“What?” I asked, feeling perplexed at the amount of looks on me right now. They all quickly look away. I guess they were just confused at what to make of a woman sleeping on the ground? Let’s not think too hard about this.

Oh the servants are coming in.

“Everyone. The meeting will shortly begin, everyone involved please go upstairs” One of them announced with everyone silently walking along up and to the room above. 

 

#####

 

The room is slightly less lit than the one below. With the wall painted in either red or white, as well as a bit of blue. The one seating way differently from the rest is as clear as day, and of course it’s natural for this guy to be seated that way. The king sits at the middle of the table with everyone spaced way out from him. Some people are standing besides others like a servant or an assistant. I could see Maova and the Hero sitting real close to each other… as I am also only separate from them by a person. I believe the meeting should begin already.

“Unfortunately not all of the mythril ranked adventurers have responded to our all” The king mentioned as he sits there and observes the people who joined this discussion.

“Everyone. The reason I have called all of you forth today is no doubt been made clear already. The Demon Lord will be approaching and the calamity of the two centuries will begin, we need to do everything in our power to stop this crisis and protect this kingdom. Now then, let us begin with some reports first…” The king announced as he looked at me first of all people.

“We have one of the otherworlders right here and she very much shows the potential they have. Some of you were there and you saw how she managed to help the Hero ward off the Demon Lord. We have ten in total and only one is of any value at the moment. The rest are all training right now, and you, our honored guest from another world… How has the training of your comrades been?” The king continues his speech that ended with a question towards me of course. Now what should I say?

“The training of the otherworlders beside me has been going well so far. Every seems perfectly capable of battle, but of course they’re still just starting out. They are all first learners, much to everyone’s relief no doubt” I answered. Hopefully that was good enough for me to pass under the radar for now.

“I see… Now the rest of the procedures shall be done with my retainer, I shall observe the rest of the discussion closely” He replied calmly. So he won’t get completely involved from the looks of it.

“Now then we shall focus on something else. Captain, per His Majesty’s order you have your knights scouting the area near our beloved kingdom have you not? Any particular sightings so far?” His retainer who stood besides him asked the intimidating commander from the first day.

“Nothing unfortunately. Seems these dastardly demons are very well hidden, far away from us” He answered the question with not a particularly favorable outcome, though it might be if the Demon Lord’s statement is true, which it most likely is.

“I see… Now then Hero. Before we all began our discussions and came up with some sort of plan. Anything you specifically want to add about the foe you know so well?” The retainer then asked the Hero, who doesn’t look all too happy about it.

“One thing for certain is that no one except this otherworlder, as well my partner and I can even cause a dent towards the Demon Lord. I suggest that if you were to sighted said Demon Lord it would be in your best interest to run away” She answered with a pretty cynical point. 

“I see… that’s unfortunate. Anything else to add?” He asked, hoping for a bit more info.

“None” She replied flat out. He looked slightly disappointed but didn’t say it out loud.

“Very well then… I guess it’s the discussion phase now. We need to find a way for more people to cooperate with us first of all, and strengthen our force in general. Anyone have any ideas?” He asked as he looked around the room. Suddenly Maova raised her hand.

“I would first of all suggest you give me some… mandatory volunteers to help me with my experiments. It’s nothing too dangerous I can assure you, I simply need a few people to help me with something quite risky” She proposed much to the confusion of some people. She has been overseeing the training of the otherworlders yet here she is talking about experiments? The guy with orange hair looked pretty darn stressed out at the situation by the way.

“What do you have in mind?” He asked just as confused as the rest of us.

“I am a sage as you all may or may not know. I am well-versed in all forms of magic, including strengthening. It’s a risky procedure as some of you who know of magic might be aware of. Enchantment I could also do as well. See where I am going with this?” She explained but not fully. She’s sounding pretty malicious or at least playful from what she said.

“...All I can say is that I can arrange for your needs if His Majesty allows it” The retainer replied sounding slightly disturbed.

“She’s not trying anything fishy that much I am certain of” The Hero suddenly added. She’s defensive of her friend it seems.

“We’ll deal with that later… Any other proposals?” He dismissively replied as he looked around. 

“I believe we should announce some sort of mission for the adventurers, so they can help us with this crisis, with compensation of course. We also need help from those experts in the field” One of them proposed, then eyeing the guy with orange hair who seems uncomfortable with the looks he has been getting.

“I can arrange it if I can get some monetary support at least” He replied wryly.

“I think we should have the adventurers interact with the knights so they can coordinate better during the battle” Maova suddenly said out loud which a few nodded at, if only to go along with the sudden claim.

“I seconded this” The Hero dismissively added.

 

#####

 

It’s been a bit of a loud discussion but I believe this section of the meeting is over at least.

“On to the next and not quite as important discussion. The training of the otherworlders, is there any trouble?” He asked while eyeing Maova and I, trying to pressure us no doubt.

“Nothing in particular...” Maova replied, not fazed at all.

“Aside from the fact that the campus that the students are to train in lacks supervision, leading to many powerful monsters about” I added, looking him straight in the eyes and making sure he knows that I’m not someone to be messed with.

“I see… Any other people who have a report on their learning have any conclusion or proposal?” He asked the rest of the people here.

A few people began clamoring. I feel like people are being quite active here, perhaps due to being in the king’s presence and trying to be prominent in the discussion? At the very least I am not a part of this, I just have to shot down any potentially risky ideas from them the best I can. Not long and I would probably try to convince them to let me go.

5