Book 3: Chapter 59: Majo: Train(wreck) Soldiers
86 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Zoom*

Alright then, this should be the exact time to come back in- Oh.

“Thank god you came back” The swordsman said, sounding a bit erratic. So they were keeping watch to see if I returned.

“Yeah I’m back now, hopefully that knight didn’t come to look for me” I greeted casually. Probably not something they like to hear.

“He doesn’t, please don’t go off somewhere like that” The swordsman said as I went inside through the window.

“It’s all fine” I said, sounding confident. If it’s a matter of time then it’s barely a problem. The swordsman look exasperated as his teammates merely look a bit tired.

“You’re really confident in yourself” The swordsman commented. He seems to be quite cautious when it comes to seeing things, which is fine, probably will in his shoes as well.

“I have done these kinds of things before so I’m not too worried, but I get why it’s hard to believe that” I said as I dusted myself a bit and found somewhere to sit.

“Haaaah…” He sighed as he sat down as well. Good thing it didn’t come to anything more than that…

“So where were you anyway? Been out for quite a while” The mage asked as she poke the ground with her staff in boredom. 

“I was doing some exercises” I said. It’s true if only perhaps a bit more extreme than just that.

“Outside?” She asked further.

“As if I’ll just let people observe me as I was doing that to pass time. You all are still strangers to me, can’t possibly justify having me doing it while you all are in the same room” I justified myself seeing that she took issue with it. Good thing there’s a pretty easy excuse about. Well I still wouldn’t do it with strangers around anyway so it’s still true.

“Fair enough” She replied as she goes back to playing with her staff to pass time. Maybe this was a bit of an early return, but now that I’m back I doubt going out a second time will be anymore excusable. Guess it really is just waiting.

 

#####

 

The door opened and the expected visitor on the other side, it was only like five minutes before he came up, which is good, just sitting here waiting is torture.

Everyone including myself stand up and turn to approach him, seeing as it’s finally the time to go and do our job.

“Pardon my late intrusion, everything is taken care off, please follow me” The man with the helmet covering his eyes said to us as he walked off, and us following behind.

We all followed him just like when we got in, and through this long corridor he turned to and opened a door to what I believe is the training ground… Yep I was right, and there are many soldiers about just training with things like dummy and others of their squad. Looks a bit unorganized honestly.

“All of you line up!” The man shouted through his helmet and let the loud voice echo in the training ground, causing a bit of fearful and clear command to those he commands to follow.

They all lined up nicely in front of him as some try to peek through the formation and observe the five adventurers, us. I think I could hear a bit of chatter as well.

“For this period of time you all shall be assisted by adventurers, as right now it is a time of crisis. You five introduce yourselves” He said to the group then turn to instruct us. Well guess that’ll be what we’re doing for the rest of the day, at least for now.

“I am Elrick” The swordsman introduced himself.

“Name’s Gina” The mage said.

“I’m Fru” The axeman said.

“And I’m Sem” The spearman said. So that’s all their names. Guess all that is left is me.

“And I am Reiza…” I was about to say my last name but held back, no need for that to be said.

“These fives shall be cooperating with you, all of us humans need to stick together, and this is one of how we’ll do it. The demons will stand no chance!” He said rallying everyone to work harder before he leaves, probably on other business, at least I hope that’s the case and not just him not bothering to do anything. An inspiring speech yet with very little direction.

 

#####

 

“This is it!” A voice is heard boasting, confident in victory.

*Parry*

“Not bad, but could be better” I said as I raised my two practice swords after parrying an attack. These soldiers aren’t taking me seriously enough honestly. All of them try to put us on the same level as them. One is a group of faceless people unable to have their own identity and living under command of others, and another a group of people doing their best lacking any direction all with distinctions. Can’t really compare the two and therefore a bit of a problem when it comes to cooperation. They aren’t taking our words too seriously.

“Dammit” The soldier who tried to attack me earlier muttered, while three more are surrounding me. This feels less like a training session and more of a violent game of cat and mouse, except the mice are delusional, thinking they’re the cats.

“Put a bit more spirit into it, more strength and grace than that” Honestly it feels like these are rookie soldiers who only just got in, not those who are already professionally trained already.

Two of them are going for me as I said that, lunging at me.

*Spin* *Parry*

That’s an easy block for me. I’m way stronger than them so countering is extremely easy, and I didn’t put much effort into doing things efficiently since there’s no need to do much against these weak nobodies. Of course I need to stop messing around at some point since we’re here to train them first of all, and possibly on an expedition with them before the contract is over.

“This is getting boring… If you-” Before I can say any further another soldier ran my way with a training sword in hand, let’s deal with that first.

*Parry*

I parried the incoming attack and sent him flying, as I strike him I also strike fear into those who are against me. They need to learn their place, at least with it.

“Don’t interrupt me. Anyway if you all can’t even attack can you at least defend?” I said as I changed my stance, ready to go on an offensive. Now who to attack first?

I choose a random man and sprint at him, reaching him in only a second. With my swords by my sides I ready to strike.

*Strike*

He doesn’t even register me reaching and attacking him before I strike him, knocking him away and leaving the other two a bit shaky. So much for their ego, but at least they’re humbled.

“What about you two? Can you do it?” I said taking an aggressive stance and staring at them, no doubt giving them the chills. Well here I come.

*Sprint* *Strike*

I did the same to one of them as I did the other guy, knocking him away and down on the floor. The guy by his side just barely noticed what happened before I turned to look at him, not forgetting him in the slightest.

*Strike*

Swinging both swords at him I knocked him out as well. That’s the four who choose to go against me all down for the count. Certainly not that much of a challenge, how are the others doing.

They’re ganged on way more than me for some reason, how odd. Elrick and Sem are ganged up by about six soldiers, Gina by five, and Fru by seven. Now this just makes it look like I’m the weakest here considering how I deal with the least amount at four. They’re handling it pretty well if clearly struggling.

I guess I’ll watch before I step in… there are some soldiers that don't participate in this at all, which showed how disciplined they are I supposed, or common sense perhaps.

Elrick just hit a guy in the head and knocked him out while avoiding another man trying to strike him, barely avoiding and attacking at the same time.

Sem keeps his distance from the sword wielding soldiers with his weapon, which has a much more superior range, he can reliably cherry-pick them before he beats them all.

Fru with his brute force keeps pushing them back, causing the soldiers to be a bit more cautious.

Gina surprisingly managed to hold her own against these soldiers despite being a mage, with her robe weighing her own no less. She’s pretty good with her staff, using it to parry incoming attacks before casting a spell while they’re recovering and retreating.

They’re all doing fine so I should interact with other people instead, the soldiers who don’t participate for example, what are they doing?

“So what are you all doing, not choosing on to fight?” I walked over to a ground just minding their own business and swinging their sword about. They all look at me with clear unease.

“We just don’t think we could beat you is all. Those guys are much more sure of themselves” One of them explained, so they know better. I wonder if they have an answer for this one then.

“I see. So why am I not getting that much attention? This’ll reflect badly on me” I asked a bit jokingly. It would be nice to know.

“We heard you were a big deal so I guess some of them choose someone else?” One of them explained. My name spread here already? Guess that man and just the higher ups at large have something to do with it.

“I see. That explains it” I said while putting my hand on my chin, making a thoughtful post as I turned around to see the chaos that still continued. Here we are just being sane and normal and over there it’s like a party. Anyway back to these people here.

“So how about I help train you fellows? I think it would’ve been a bit bad if your commander came back and you have nothing to show for it” I asked, seeing as that knight clearly said for them to train with us, yet they aren’t.

“S-Sounds dangerous” One of them commented, sounding clearly nervous. Well I think it’s a bit unfair for them to just not train when they should have, but maybe if they don’t want to then I can also relax a bit…

“Fair enough I supposed, but every other adventurer is also unavailable right now since they’re being ganged on. I’m pretty certain slacking isn’t allowed” I noted as I point at the chaos that’s going on. Seems like they’re getting it under control but people keep piling on them so it’s hard to tell, at some point they’ll be way too tired to do anything.

“B-But we’re not” One of them said as they were swinging their sword, practicing their sword skills among each other. They’re being quite difficult right now even if they know better than to try anything risky, they’re a bit overly cautious and mild in their manner and actions.

“If you insist. I guess I’ll go see how they’re doing… just from less far away” I said as I walked away from them and closer to the action at hand. If this is the first day of these kinds of things happening it’s easy to see things getting devastating when actual missions came along.

“[The wind that repels all. Manifest]!” A voice is heard chanting loudly.

*Swirl*

“How about not doing that!?” A voice is heard as the wind rages wildly and causes many to be blown or pushed away by its intensity. So she finally pulled out the big spell. Still as powerful and game ending it is also… Yeah let’s damage control this.

*Snap* *Dim*

With a snap of my finger all of the walls and other equipment in the training ground are reinforced or surrounded by dark power, shielding them from harm. I also shielded the cautious party from the possible dust and debris.

The wind stopped its rampage and as it settled I can clearly see many people on the ground, not heavily injured, merely knocked down by the very strong wind. Even the swordsman and spearman got caught up in it, poor them.

Now I make sure nothing gets out of hand but the situation is still quite messy, this is going to be a bit of a problem more than likely, maybe even a complaint or two. Let’s just go over and make sure no one is critically injured.

“All right there fellas?” I asked as I walked over and looked around. Doesn’t look like anyone needs healing, they all look more exhausted. Some of them look at me a bit funny but that’s definitely not due to them being hurt so what do I care.

“Serious Gina, this is one of the worst places you could’ve done it” Elrick said as he stood back up, dusting himself off and scolding the mage. It is hard to deny how that large scale magic causes a bit of a problem.

“Sure, as if these soldiers ganging up on us was any better” She snapped back sarcastically as she dusted herself off as well, since the winds still carried dust and dirt about to dirtied the caster as well. Sem just stood back up and dusted himself off as well. All of us gathered in approximately the same area as we looked at the group of soldiers down on the ground.

The soldiers began standing back up as they all stared at us. Well this looks like the second predicament honestly, like they’ll do it again.

“H-Hey, it seems like they’re not done” Elrick commented as the soldiers picked up their training swords again and stared at us. It’s just obvious that they’ll do it again, how persistent of them.

They began running over to us in full, with more than ten soldiers at once rushing towards us. Like I’ll let that happen.

With a hand gesture of raising my hand up, I created a wall surrounding us on all sides that separate us from them, even hearing a few things hit the wall as well. This is getting quite stupid.

“T-Thanks” Elrick said to me as he let out a sigh of relief, back against the wall.

“That was quick” Gina commented regarding my spell. 

“Could’ve sworn that could’ve hit me where it hurt” And that’s just your luck’s fault Sem.

“Anyway let me check what they’re doing on the other side, still hearing some hitting sound” I said, and then I-

*Leap*

Leap up the wall and to the outside where a few same me on the way and respectfully get out of the way of my landing. Now I see clearly what they’re doing, no need for assumptions.

“How disappointing that you all are still going at it. Know moderation” I said as I grip my swords tight while looking at them with disdain.

They all simply turned to look at me while not saying anything. Know their place already, they aren’t children.

“Do I really have to punish you all for this?” I said as I change my stance to a defensive one while glaring at them, they’re being disrespectful and childish as it is. If this is what that knight has to deal with I can see why we’re being sent to help, but in that case I’ll use a bit more force than he thinks, if it’ll get the job done.

They all look unsure as I continue to stand there and wait for their move. Either they really stop or come at me, as I am the source of that wall.

“It’s just one person we can do it!” Someone in the crowd said as another began cheering, letting to the rest doing so. So they choose to fight. They really are blind to us. You know what, I won’t even use these swords, they’ll probably end up broken going through so many people.

Three came at me first, which is easy enough to deal with. I stand there without a weapon, not flinching or changing their expression.

*Lunge* *Avoid* *Punch*

One tried to stab me with that dull blade, but I easily moved to the side, avoided it, and punched the man’s chest so hard he got knocked more than a few meters away.

*Leap* *Kick*

Another came towards me but I also leaped towards him first, kicking him in the head before landing back on the ground.

*Spin* *Kick*

I turn my body around and kick the last guy’s side, making him lose his balance and knocking him down to the ground.

I turned to look at those who tried to join in and those intending to join all look shocked at the events that unfold. I did indeed take down three soldiers in a few instances, and the rest shall be down on the ground as well.

“Cowered already? We have barely started” I said calmly if a bit sarcastically at the previously enthusiastic yet arrogant group of soldiers.

Sprinting. Smacking. Kicking. Elbowing. Just using my arms and legs to attack these lightly armored soldiers in training, and knocking them all in less than a few seconds before they can even defend themselves. Now they’re all down on the ground again, except in a lot more pain more than likely.

*Snap* *Crumble*

I snapped my finger and the earth wall crumbled into nothing, with Elrick falling down to the ground, looking rather silly.

“Pftt” Gina tried to hold her laugher to no avail, to Elrick’s chagrin. He stood back up dusting his armor off again then looked around, eyes a bit widened.

“Well I believe we’re done for now” I said with a straight face as I look over these fallen soldiers, all the while these four look a bit exasperated. They have to deal with this for a while.

4