Book 3: Chapter 64: Rose: Sibling Problem and Thorns of Rose
95 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Your Highness, is there something bothering you?” I asked the Princess as we are having a tea party. She once more invited me despite all the unknown dangers that came with it.

“Ah. Rosia, it’s not something you need to think of” She said shyly, clearly trying to deny her clear distress in her expression. How childishly easy to read.

“Princess. I understand you don’t want me to worry about you, but at this point it’s as clear as days” I said while putting on a concerned look. I would be an idiot for not noticing that.

“Urk… I’m sorry” She replied cutely. She really would be a nice pet to have around. So far she has been with me more than anyone else, she is ever so close, I just have to push it when we’re at the edge.

“No need for that Princess” I said, keeping a graceful face with a smile on me. Soon maybe I’ll do something more usual with her, and then make her mine for good. Right now I should bother her more on her personal life, and tangle them with mine, and then drag her out of her life here.

“But I’m really sorry though” She said with a compassionate smile. Just talk about it already.

“Please tell me what has happened, anything can I do to help?” I asked her and kept my slightly emotional facade as always.

“What are you two doing here?” An unpleasant voice is heard as she was about to say something, how annoying. Turning to look and it’s quite clear who this is, well I do vaguely remember his voice.

“Ah, hi there Prince” I said somewhat sarcastically seeing his face again. I have no comment on it but the fact that it’s his is the problem here.

“Brother, what is it?” The Princess asked, sounding rather nervous. So far the relationship between these people doesn’t sound particularly strong, which will make this all the more easier.

“I could be asking you that as well sister. Lately you have indulged less in meetings that were expected of us, hanging out with someone who has no need for you companionship” The Prince said harshly. His words ring true but that’s not what is important here. I can’t just let him take my prey away.

“B-But!...” She was about to retort but was unable to come up with anything. What she has done wasn’t a particularly major offense from the looks of it, but an offense nonetheless.

“You should evaluate your time better than this, especially with unforeseen danger ahead of us” He continued to scold her. Saying more and more will rift her apart from this family, and that’s all the better.

“Your Highness, perhaps you should learn to be more tolerable to your little sister. Nothing good came from such a cold behavior when you two should be close” I said, interrupting the conversation while I still sat here nonchalantly not fearing anything, as he is but a prince.

“And you should stay out of this. This is none of your concern ‘Hero’” He said with a slightly skeptical tone at the end there, seemed he isn’t one for prophecy and history. No matter his stance that won’t stop my advance.

“If it is none of my concern, then I wouldn’t be here now am I?” I retorted somewhat half-heartedly. I just need to provoke more antagonistic responses from him to drive them apart all the more.

“Know your place. Destined hero you may be, but you have no need to care for our affairs” He said keeping his stance on the matter. If he doesn’t budge on the matter then that makes it all the more better, it’ll be easier to move things along.

“Unfortunately Prince. I am here now as someone who the Princess cares for, and I simply cannot not reciprocate” I said as if confessing my love, which is true I supposed, I wouldn’t say it’s love like with Maova, as it will never be.

“R-Rosia what are you saying!?” The Princess said, sounding shocked with a slightly red face.

“What exactly are you insinuating?” He asked with his sharp eyes staring at me. He sure is a serious man, one that annoyed me a bit.

“Exactly as it’s said. She shows her affection for me, and I’ll do so in return. I can’t let you slander her for something like that” I said now glaring back at him, causing him to budge slightly.

“It is an official duty expect of us, by not attending she’s slandering us!” He replied sounding a bit more brash than usual, guess that strikes a nerve.

“One that she barely has any control over? From what I’ve heard her input barely matters anyway” I said slightly dismissively as if it’s something obvious. She merely implied it but I picked it up quickly.

“What have you been telling her!?” The Prince suddenly turns to his sister and asks her rather aggressively. Usually he’s quite composed if skeptical, this must be the last straw for him. The Princess shivers as she is questioned.

“Prince. I suggest you stop this harassment of her. You make the tea go cold with your constant rambling” I said as I picked up the Princess’ tea and took a sip, seeing as it had gone cold.

“And you should stay out of this like I’ve said!” He snapped back. Really not in a good mood today.

“Prince. You may be the next ruler of this land, but that doesn’t mean you can use that future power for such a petty harassment” I replied to that with another nonchalant critique. If he was a bit more mild tempered then she probably wouldn’t cowered like that.

“It is not harassment, I am trying to enforce the rule here” He responded with another rather deaf sounding reply. Seems he doesn’t fully realize how inconsiderate he is sounding right now.

“You are making a girl cowered in your presence, your sister no less! How is that no harassment exactly? You sound like nothing more than a petty and assertive master to someone who isn’t yours” I replied to that once more. This is happening for quite some time now, I would rather get on with my day.

“You have certainly been questioning my methods for a while now. What gives you the right?” The Prince asked as he had his hand on the hilt of his rapier. Rather bold of him to pull that stance when I am clearly the superior fighter. It became very clear to me that he isn’t even anywhere near my level.

“And what gives you the right to try to threaten me with force? I am not a mindless brute to not notice your hand on its hilt” I answered with a question of my own. He’s gripping on it but doesn’t actually attack just yet. If he does attack then that would’ve been the point of no return for the three of us three. If I were to skip some steps then I must make him unsheathed it.

He stayed silent, all of us did. His hand is still on it yet unmoving. He has nothing to say from the looks of it.

“All you have to say then? I suggested you run along then, interrupting our tea party is the most rude” I said as I turned to look at the Princess, still rather afraid of her brother with her still shaking a little bit. I reach for the tea pot and pour us some tea, even if it has lost its heat with time.

He still doesn’t say anything and I feel like this isn’t going anywhere. If he won’t attack then he should leave. 

“Run along Prince. You no longer have any business here. No courage of your own” I said while adding an insult at the end. Now I could hear the blade clanking and shaking against its sheath.

He can’t say anything as I continue to take a sip of tea and relax, waiting for anyone to say something. I think the Princess over here should say something right now, and not just sitting there scared.

“Princess? Are you alright? Saying something” I said to the Princess to show my concern. She jumped a little bit hearing me addressing her directly, stopping her tilted down look and turning to look at me directly, then to look at the brother still hesitating in response and action.

“I-I… I’m…” She’s still clearly hesitating and not saying anything. Her brother’s presence is clearly bothering her, and it probably won’t be the same after this encounter.

“Is your brother bothering you still? I’ll help you with that” I said as I stood up, putting the cup down and confronting the man still frozen in hesitation.

I forcefully grabbed his hand away from the hilt. Ah he shakes my hand away rather rashly.

“Don’t test me” He replied in disdain as he walked away. Guess that’s the end of that. Returning to my seat and back to relaxing and chatting with this girl. She still looks rather overwhelmed and in a rather bad mood.

“Princess please don’t look so sad” I asked her in a rather somber tone. This is really disheartening, and taking wind out of my sail.

“A-Ah… Rosia I’m sorry you have to witness all of that” She quickly apologized. It is mostly her fault but I won’t mention that. Even if this is done for me she still compromises her duty and that will bring consequences she should’ve seen coming.

“It’s alright my Princess. I don’t mind” I said forcing a smile. I really don’t mind it that much but that wouldn’t warrant a reassuring smile from me usually.

“B-But I do…” She replied somberly. I really should try to distract her from that.

“Please don’t think about it, it would only bother you all the more” I said. She has no need to worry about that, as soon as I am done with her she wouldn’t need to worry about anything else, she won’t.

“Perhaps…” She replied, not sounding confident in her response. I need to egg her on more if I were to make her join my side ‘willingly’, but for now that’ll be quite risky, with her being so somber at the moment.

“Please calm down and relax Princess, no need to be so somber” I requested as I drank more tea.

“I’ll try” She muttered with a light chuckle trying to cheer herself up no doubt. At this point I shouldn’t try saying anything and let her recover right now. I’ll just ponder on things as the quiet time continues.

 

#####

 

It has been about ten minutes and nothing of value came up. Rather boring really, but I shouldn’t try to come up with an excuse to leave so suddenly, I should ask something from her first before anything.

“Princess. I know that encounter just now was… unfortunate, but I’m sure there’s a way to reconcile” I said planting a hope that I’ll dash later, but the better present would be her already planning to burn that bridge.

“I… I am the one who allowed all of that to happen in the first place” She replied soberly as if seeing no way to go back.

“That doesn’t mean you can’t make amends” I said, trying to lift her mood up, not actually letting her fix the bridge.

“But… what if it doesn’t work?” She asked, sounding rather cynical. I wouldn’t expect her to be like that but I guess she can’t be optimistic about everything. Now the answer to this is very obvious.

“If it doesn’t work out. I’m here” I said with a flirtatious smile and a wink. Her face reddened a little bit. The fact that all of this happened in the first place and how oddly infatuated with me she has become… Well one girl attracting another is uncommon that much I know, so it’s a bit odd that the Princess herself seems attracted to me, if that is indeed what’s happening.

“What a reaction my Princess. I’m glad you have that much faith in me” I said feeling a bit amused. She blushed a bit more as she looked at me shyly.

“D-Don’t worry about it” She replied as if unsure of what to really say. Getting a reaction out and reading her is quite easy, meanwhile that Prince is quite annoying and I just want to stab the King’s face in, too bad I never got to stab the other king’s face back then, I would've loved to. She’s the only one who isn’t annoying for me and that’s good, since she’s my priority.

“I’ll keep that in mind” I said as I took another sip of tea. Now let’s move on to another issue that I could possibly leeway into me leaving. 

“Princess, speaking on the topic that is me… Is there anything that I have to do later on that you know of? So far I’ve been rather inactive, no one really has anything for me to do unfortunately” I asked. Getting some clue as to what’s coming will be quite useful.

“I-I’m sorry, I haven’t been all that involved in…” She said before trailing off. I think I know what she meant and how it’s shameful of her it is. She did skip meetings from the sound of it.

“It’s alright my Princess” I said trying to reassure her. Let’s take a look at the watch to see the time… Maova would’ve nearly finished the training hours by this time, so it’s actually a good time to leave.

“Thank you” She replied with a small smile. Now I should try actually telling her excuses to go elsewhere, this is getting somewhat tiresome.

“No need my Princess. Spending this time with you isn’t for that purpose anyway, merely to give us both time to relax and know each other better” I said in response to that.

“Yeah, spending time with you… I’m sure I have been keeping you here for quite some time, I know it’s a bit troublesome for you” She said with a considerate smile.

“I-I wouldn’t say that. I don’t have much to do anyway, but what about you?” I replied and directed a question back at her. Maybe she’ll be the one to call this off.

“I… I already skipped out on the meeting today, and not much else to do, but I guess that’s not the best excuse to keep you here” She replied now sounding very self-deprecating, as if her world began crumbling quickly. Maybe the fact that she got scolded by her brother has something to do with it… obviously.

“It is your choice my Princess, I’m here to oblige” I said like I couldn’t just leave of my own accord.

“N-No! That’s not right! You should be able to leave if you have to!” She said, sounding rather insistent. So far whenever we do this she’s always the one calling the shots so I have no idea where that came from, guess she wasn’t quite aware of it until now.

“But… What about your feelings on the matter? Surely you should-”

“You should relax and do as you want as well, in fact I think we should end the tea party now, we have been taking way too long of a time anyway” She cut me off sounding really hasty. Guess I guilt trip her a bit much and now she’s acting rather irrationally.

“Haaaah… Very well my Princess” I said as I stood up and gave her one more smile that she seems quite mesmerized by, even though it’s merely a smile.

“Rosia…” She muttered as she continued looking at me.

“We shall meet again soon, that much is a certainty. Please get better” I said as I bow and leave the gazebo, or rather the garden in general, walking and aiming to go back to my room in this place.

 

#####

 

Well that was certainly more eventful than the usual meetings, and going in a direction I want. This will be getting to the good part soon.

*Zoom*

“Heya. How was it today? Whatever you’re doing with that princess lady” Maova suddenly teleported in and asked that, all the while looking a bit more hopeful than she usually is. Seems she managed to figure something out, I’m glad.

“It was rather dull, but at least I got something moving” I replied dismissively as I lay down on the bed.

“Oh? What is it?” She asked, sounding her curiosity.

“That Prince is annoying me again, and this time with her involved. It began causing conflict between the two, how nice that is” I answered. She nodded along as I summarized the event.

“Sounds like it would be smooth sailing then” She commented with a small grin of congratulation. 

“That’s what I hope for. Now what have you been doing? You look a bit more enthusiastic today” I asked in return seeing her expression.

“W-Was it that obvious? Wow that was embarrassing… Anyway I was thinking of a few things” She replied while not really telling what she’s planning.

“Just get to the point” I said, sounding my annoyance at her.

“Okay okay. Well first of all I was thinking of orchestrating the second warning, and I’m still unsure of how to go about it, but obviously you’re still supposed to be at their side” She responded with just one point.

“Is that so? So that’s the first thing then what about the other?” I asked, seeing as clearly that’s not the end of it.

“I am messing around with the magic department here and I’m a bit revered there right now” She said with a cheeky grin. 

“How?” I asked, what has she done now?

“There was this rather old language Kaa-san and I know that was in the scriptures these people have. I translate them and now they’re going crazy about it” She recounted looking quite proud of herself.

“Sounds like they’ll be helping you then, trying to gain favors no doubt” I commented seeing the highly possible plan of action.

“Yep, expect things to get a bit more exciting from here on out due to that” She said once more looking prideful.

“Well I hope you’re enjoying it” I said with a small sigh seeing this woman I love putting on this rather childish facade to tell her story. Even though I’m rather emotionless with my expression she tries to compensate for that.

“I will, no need to worry about me” She replied with a smile and getting closer to me, laying down on the bed as well. Is she trying to tease me right now?

“You know what this implies right?” I asked as I grabbed her arm. She flinched and looked clearly shocked. So she wasn’t expecting it.

“A-Ah… right… Maybe not do this here?” She asked a bit awkwardly, seeing my gaze.

“Might as well, as if this is the best place for it” I said with a small grin on me. I’m going to enjoy this, like I’ve always done.

*Zoom*

3