Book 3: Chapter 70: Majo: Impending Story
71 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now then… I should try going down to the castle’s underground. There is apparently something worth checking out down there and I better check it out before whatever is down there will inevitably be used or destroyed.

Now what’s the plan? I could just go down there and do whatever I want, it’s not like I’m in the kingdom’s good grace anyway, at least for those really knowing what’s going on. I think I should try not rampaging much at least, it is underground and all, could cause a serious amount of damage I’m not willing to deal with, and not to mention anyone who isn’t involved getting hurt as well.

Well it’s… like still in the morning I can still take some time pondering I guess… I mean the last time I was in there many years back it wasn’t all that hard to do what I did, so really there shouldn’t be any problem, the guards won’t land much of a scratch anyway.

Screw it let’s just do it right now instead of letting it weigh on me, I don’t have anything else better to do anyway, and going back to Clara now after saying that farewell would be awkward. Let’s just not do that and actually find out what is in the castle’s underground already, for all I know it’s actually not all that important.

*Zoom*

Now then… while my eyes are better in the dark than most people that doesn’t really change the fact that this place is horribly dimly lit, trying to coordinate and communicate must be a nightmare down here. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s so much mishaps due to that that it causes some sort of miracle, or a disaster, which would be more likely.

Let’s just walk casually down this maze like underground. Last time I broke down some walls, perhaps a bit hasty of me, and went through just fine, then again I did tore a large hole in the surface for there to be some light shining through before so navigating is a lot easier but… right now causing commotion can cause some problems.

Just walking along the walls. The place is thankfully rather lacking in debris so far so there aren’t many noises I omitted. The torches are working fine but like I said before they aren’t particularly well lit.

I think I could hear some footsteps in the direction I’m going in. Would this be where my target is at? The sounds are rather metallic so it’s probably of the guards and not whatever they have stored or imprisoned inside. 

I should perhaps- Well I guess there are some pebbles about after all.

“Who was that?” One of the guards said out loud as many began walking in my direction. I think I should just slowly but surely walk away and into a different area. Thankfully there are some signs about so no one gets lost in this horridly complex basement. Let’s go in a different direction then, before anyone finds me.

To what I believe is another side of this basement there aren’t as many noises, if there is too little then that would signify that there’s nothing around at all, so this might be a dud as well, and that I really have to go through… Actually let’s try this.

*Smash* *Slice*

“It’s this way!” A guard shouted. They take the bait, good.

*Zoom*

Now I’m back to the same side I was at with no one around this time. Let’s go take a look!

*Shine*

“Whoa!” I let out a sound in surprise seeing something behind a cage on this side of the castle’s underground. This isn’t quite what I was expecting. Maybe if it was like an even remotely normal looking creature it would’ve been fine but… This eldri-

“There’s someone on this side!” Someone shouted. Did they hear me just then? Seems I don’t have much time before I… Well maybe this’ll work.

*Dim*

Maybe I still look humanoid to them but they can’t simply just look through the darkness enveloping me. Now then, let’s get a closer look at this thing before I actually need to leave.

Its body is very dark, clearly made of materials not of this world. Its body looks like many vines of darkness coiling to form a shape remotely humanoid yet so otherworldly. Each individual vines move independently yet never try to move away from the body it makes for itself. It is chained by metal cuffs that honestly… just what can they do? Its ‘limbs’ are all like long logs, and the same can be said for its ‘torso’. Its head meanwhile is like a ball, a ball that-

“Who is that!” Someone shouted out no doubt seeing my silhouette. Let’s go inside so they won’t even really see me.

*Zoom*

The inside of the cell is slightly humid and there is definitely a lingering air of something unnatural. As for what I was looking at, now that I get an even closer look behind bars, its veinly ball-like head has no eyes, at least none that I can see. Instead of mouth, nose, and ears it simply has a massive mouth. A mouth with no lips and merely protruding fangs all grossly colored and long. That mouth could easily mauled the bars keeping it contained… well if it’s not slumbering at this moment it would’ve done so.

[Appraisal]

 

Name: -

Gender: ???

Age: ???

Race: ???

Status: [Slumber]

 

Level: 710

HP: 777,623/777,623

MP: 40,900/40,900

Strength: 7,430

Magic Prowess: 7,350

Dexterity: 5,390

Agility: 6,120

Luck: 5,600

Vitality: 8,970

Magic Resistance: 8,720

 

Race Trait: [Regeneration] [Melding Body] [Anti-Dwellers]

 

Just trying to learn of this thing and I could feel my brain shaking and expanding violently and causing a great deal of headaches. I know such a thing could happen if whatever you’re looking at are nigh-incomprehensible but this is not something I’ve ever encountered before.

…So they’re trying to use this… Good luck with that.

*Zoom*

“Haaah…” I teleported away with a long sigh. That wasn’t quite what I thought was down there, I thought maybe some sort of powerful grotesque beast, which that thing certainly is but… Well I thought it would come from this world at least. Just how the hell did such a thing get captured?

Alright before I think any further about this I should get a small nap first to get my mind off things…

“Haaaah…” Taking a long sigh it’s time to get a bit of a mental rest…

 

#####

 

Okay… Let’s think about what to do about that information, and what to do next… Well I need to go talk to Maova about this whenever she comes up, it doesn't seem like she’s around a lot it seems. 

*Knock* *Knock*

Hm? Speaking of that, who is at the door this time? Let’s take a look anddd… Speak of the devil.

“Oh! Sorry I didn’t expect you to be around, a few days in a row and you were never around” Maova said a bit awkwardly. So she was trying to get in contact with me but I just was never around? So that’s why she’s not around… I’m the one not around.

“Been busy days I guess, anyway wanna come in?” I commented and asked.

“Sure. We can probably talk about something others don’t need to hear” She said as she got in and I closed the door shut not letting anyone else enter.

“Now then… Anything sort of intel I might not have? I did specifically ask for the info regarding what is down below the castle” Maova asked as her tone became less lively but all the same casual and affable. The shift in tone is bizarre but I see no problem with it.

“Heh. Speaking of that I did just explore it” I mentioned noting the very perfect timing of her arrival and question.

“Really? What’s in there?” Maova asked, keeping her dry disinterested tone. 

“A being incomprehensible. That’s literally it. A being incomprehensible. I believe it came from a different world altogether” I answered trying to give the best answer I can. I really don’t know more about it beyond that obvious fact.

“An entity from a different world? Sounds like it'll be quite strong then” She muttered with a feeling that she’s getting excited from that. Is that really her first thought on such a monster? Then again she could be stronger than it for all I know.

“Really where you put your attention to? Anyhow that’s the best I can describe it. Also I believe physically speaking it’s above me, so maybe you should deal with it instead” I added hoping that’ll be helpful somehow.

“Physically?” She repeated seeing it as something worth mentioning.

“Well it doesn’t seem to have any form of magical affinity, not that it makes it a pushover” I noted. Nothing about its proficiency in anything pop up, which while looks optimistic on the surface makes one wonder what it’ll have in its place.

“I see… brute strength is it? I could deal with that then if you like” She offered with a slightly gleeful grin. I think she would’ve done that regardless of my input in the matter.

“Just shut it. You’ll do it anyway” I replied with a defeated tone. There’s no way I could convince her otherwise, and even then it would probably be best if that thing is taken care of.

“True enough” She said, sounding slightly amused.

“What about your end? I already said my piece” I reflected back.

“Hmm… Well as I am someone who got more respect than you as a ‘native’ of this world I do get to see a bit of their inner working. I would say they are not the most productive they can be and it is rather disappointing to see” She answered, sounding her disappointment. The fact that she said all that in such a way while I know full well who she really is, it came off as a predator unsatisfied with its hunt. Also the amount of sarcasm in the word ‘native’ is insanely transparent it’s not even funny.

“Think they could’ve done better?” I asked just to continue the conversation. I’m not interested in whatever those people are doing.

“Certainly. Maybe I need to push them in the right direction, just so they can try a bit better” She answered ominously. Seems she has something planned in mind that would make these people truly cornered, and have to fight back no matter what.

“I’ll just do my own thing I guess, whenever you are doing that” I replied dismissively seeing as I really have no need to have part in her sinister plot.

“Really? What a bummer, I would’ve hoped you’ll join in. I mean imagine you not being there for the preliminary event” She responded due to what I said not matching her expectation. Hopefully she won’t try to force me into it.

“I just might be there or might not. I have other things to do as well, and really it’s unclear how things will go on my end” I answered trying to justify myself. It’s just a statement made due to how uncertain things will be.

“That’s true enough. Still I hope you would be around when it came up, probably in two or three days” She announced. Seems like it would be quite a show. In my best interest I should be around trying to make sure everyone stays safe but… Well I’m not sure if the castle really needs much protection, no one there really needs looking after, and I doubt Maova would actively try to kill them… at least that’s what I hope.

“I’ll keep that in mind” I replied. No idea what time or place is, I can only assume.

“Yeah that’s about what I have to say today” Maova responded, keeping the same casually dry tone.

“Same on my end. The soldiers and adventurers deal are still ongoing with no news on the expedition quite yet, but it should come along soon” I said back to her in response to that.

“I see. Well I guess it’s time for me to go, good luck on your end” She said as she waved me goodbye and walked out of the room… And so that conversation came to an end… That was new bits of information for me to deal with. Maybe if things get very excessive I’ll actually get to use the basement.

Now then… I have to deal with her antics again it seems, and now with possibly some severe consequences. Since the castle is by far the best place to send the message to those she haras- I mean oppose she will probably be there at the throne room where everything starts just like when we were summoned.

I would look quite suspicious and even be cast suspicion on if I were to go there and give them a hint about the upcoming attack… Perhaps I should observe at a safe distance first before then, just maybe near the castle’s entrance or at the hallway, then interfere when it becomes clear she’s going too far.

Just after that underground problem I already have another one to contend with… What time is it? Still just in the morning their lesson hasn't started just yet. Maybe I should go talk to them for a bit regarding this, giving them a heads up.

*Zoom*

“Wha!?” Mitsuka let out a sound in surprise as he jumped back. He’s not doing anything private, he just gets jumped a bit easily.

“Hi there you two, sorry for the sudden entrance” I greeted them casually despite the rather sudden entrance. Mitsuka almost fall over but quickly recover himself and then sit down.

“Hi Reiza” Kioshi replied rather dryly, just sitting there relaxing I supposed.

“H-Hi” Mitsuka said, sounding shocked still.

“Have a bit of news to share. Just one particular thing” I said as I found somewhere to sit and then wait for them to say something.

“Must be important to barge in unannounced” Kioshi commented.

“Why yes. Actually quite important. Listen up” I said as I look at them to make sure they’re paying attention. When it’s clear to me that they are…

“In either two or three days from today there will be an attack. I’m not sure where it’ll take place but it’ll clearly be quite dangerous and you all really should know about this” I said to them trying to keep the tone serious.

“Where did you learn this from?” Kioshi asked, sounding his curiosity and a bit of worry.

“From the instigator herself of course. Maova” I answered.

“So she has been talking to you” Mitsuka noted.

“Yes, a bit more often than one would expect” I responded. The atmosphere is quite heavy with such a subject on hand.

“Anything in particular that she said?” Kioshi asked, wanting to learn more about this rather troubling news.

“Seems she’s trying to motivate people to try harder. She wants to see humans struggle a lot more to give her some fun” I answered. Fun is the key word in this whole deal for her from what I know, and it is a bit disturbing how she sees it as a game of sorts.

“Is this a game to her?” Mitsuka commented.

“Seems like it. If we keep her entertained it would probably help us out a lot. I know it sounds rather uncomfortable to go along with her narrative but believe me it’s either that or possible death, I don’t think I want to deal with that, as are none of you” I replied hoping to convince them to not try anything stupid when the day finally came. This piece of advice is really applicable to either the day she talked about or the very ending of this whole charade.

“We really have to play along? Even if it means people dying?” Mitsuka said, making the concern clear. There is one logical error with that line of thinking however… 

“Well here’s the thing Mitsuka. Either way you slice it, someone will die. Either they die, or you die, or the more likely scenario, both you and them died. This is the safest bet. Here’s the thing, even if we managed to destroy the whole charade she came up with, that’ll just paint the target in us and nothing will come of it. We can’t defeat her. Not me, and certainly not any you” I said with my voice firm and my stance even more so. To say I can’t defeat her is a bit of a sore thing to say, I want to believe I can but really… If I have to pull all the possible stops and use every trick I have then it barely counts as a possible victory. Regardless, my point still stands that none of my friends can even lay a dent on Maova, she is just too much for any normal man to even hope to scratch.

“Seriously?” Mitsuka asked, just to be certain about a certain death.

“Seriously. I’m saying this for the best of us here. Stay safe, play safe, and everything should be fine for you guys” I said standing my ground.

“What about you?” Kioshi asked, cutting through what was turned into a conversation between two people.

“What a silly question Kioshi. I’ll make it out alive. Like it always do” I said with a confident smirk to reassure them both. Mitsuka's brief worried expression lessened and went back to neutral as I said that.

“Rather confident aren’t you? When it seems like there is no chance for you going against her” Kioshi commented.

“Look Kioshi. I’m in this kind of way more than any of you could think. Trust me, this is just one of many days of my life. I’ll make it clear one more time for you and the girls as well, that me making it out alive is not a matter if” I said as I stand back up and walk close to the door while keeping the smug and confident grin on me. Keeping it on as I overlook them both.

*Zoom*

2