Chapter 2 – Into The DragonLands – Part 15
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 15

After minutes of getting lost in the shack filled maze, Knight found himself at one of the escarpment’s three crevices. With the shacks right behind him, Knight knew it was the correct path. He also knew that this started the journey to ‘saving’ Iroha.

Of course, he couldn’t do this alone. So, he turned round to find his new pals. That was until a distant figure caught his eye.

“Nah…”

Shrugging it off, Knight started down the road.

“…It couldn’t be…”

With barely a few steps taken, Knight swivelled back around.

“No harm in checking.”

Relenting to his suspicions, Knight started down the path sandwiched between steep mounds of rock.

It was as clear as day that the crevice wasn’t natural. There wasn’t a single thing mother nature would send to slice the massive escarpment into three different pieces. Even if there was, then where was all the wildlife? Apart from probably a few worms and ants, there was nothing. Just a rusty, crumbly path.

But the same could be said for the other side. How did man crudely tear the escarpment into three? Whatever they did, it was clear that their rough work was an imitation of mother nature.

Knight was within fifteen metres of the figure. The small breeze that seeped into the crevice rustled her flaxen hair. She stood, grasping the reins of a leather bag with both hands. Her feet scratched the crumbly floor. Then, she – Iroha - turned around.

Her grey eyes were obscured as her hair swayed in front. Though one look at her trembling mouth showed her confused emotions.

Knight was silent, and so was Iroha. Only the quiet whistling of the breezy wind filled the crevice.

Finally gaining the courage, Knight took a step forward-

“-!?”

As his black trainer descended upon the rock floor, Iroha turned her back towards Knight. Then she too took a step forward.

“What a pain…” Knight muttered as he gulped and clenched his fist.

Shaking off the awkward atmosphere, he sprinted in front of her.

“Stop,” Knight commanded, arm thrust wide.

As soon as their eyes were to meet, she forced her gaze down. Not allowing Knight even a glimpse of her grey eyes.

Not sure what to do, the word ‘Knight’ flashed through his head – ‘What would a Knight do?’

He had no idea. He didn’t know what to say to her. He didn’t even have much context to go on. A knight would anything, no matter how small, to help. That’s what he concluded.

The cold of her trembling hands coursed into Knight’s.

With an opened mouth, words stumbled out. “Uh… must be heavy…”

“…”

Her trembling mouth closed.

“Erm… so you know… I could hold it?

“…”

Her hands grew warm and their trembling eased.

“Well…this is awkward,”

“Heh, that’s true.”

It wasn’t his stuttering of words she replied to. It was his muttering judgement of the situation.

She finally looked up, revealing her grey eyes to Knight. Yet, as she did, it was Knight who averted his.

“Er, you gonna let me hold it or, er…”

“With one arm? Sure.”

“Don’t bring that up only to let me!” A flustered Knight snapped back, meeting her eyes.

“Hehehe…” Iroha giggled, opening Knight’s hand and placing the bag’s string inside. “So, uh, dontcha have something to say?”

Slinging the bag over his shoulder with a clunk, Knight’s face dropped. “Ah, back to your old self already. I should have known better.”

“Wuh…” A noise escaped Iroha as she dropped her face, her fringe covering her eyes.

“Hey… I was messing.” Knight said with a wry smile.

“Hmmm,” Iroha hummed as her lips titled slightly upwards.

Knight replied with the preamble of, “So, uh, yeah…” as he attempted to scratch his cheek with the bag in his hand. “I’m, uh…sorry.”

The small tilt of her lips exploded into a wide smile, her face shooting up, and her eyes glaring into his.

“I accept, senpai.”

“Uh, thanks, I guess. Please just stop with that.”

“Aww, I don’t think I can do that, Senpai.”

“...What a pain.”

“I heard that…”

“Ah, oh, did you?” Knight asked, averting his gaze as he walked past Iroha. “Well, let’s go and get Rei and be off to…uh… where exactly?”

“The king of course!”

“Ah right…” Knight let out, his smile faltering. “Roger that…”

 

*          *          *

Knight, Cerrin, Klavier and the kids sat in Meimi's inn, their only sound being the quiet 'glugging' of Cerrin swigging his beer.

He dropped his tankard to the table, then broke the silence.

“Ahh, been pretty hectic, huh guys?”

“This boisterous firefly speaks the truth told by the wind itself.”

And Chirop was the first to reply, in his usual act.

“All because this lucky bastard caught Lavri’s attention,” a red-faced Klavier took his chance to turn it on Knight.

“Wha? N-Not that I can help it.”

“Ohh, too handsome are ya?” Cerrin joked.

“Er…yeah” Knight muttered to himself before switching topics. “Never mind that. I just wanted that I hope we all meet again. Whether it be on my journey or-”

“Kniiiight, you may be a Knight, but acting like one doesn’t suit you,” Scarlett giggled as she hopped up and down.

Letting his sister’s slip of character slide with a gulp, Chirop chimed in. “Yes. We may have not known one an’ other for long, but my intuition tells me it does not suit you as well.”

The whole Inn nodded in agreement.

“Though I meowst say,” Malemi pitched in whilst she repeatedly topped up Cerrin and Klavier’s drinks. “Your new outfit makes your look meowch, meowch more like one.

Knight agreed with “True, true,” and puffed out his chest. It was covered barely by black metal wrapping around his limbless shoulder, allowing for easy movement of his singular arm. The armour created a fierce contrast between its darkness and the hoodie’s white it was layered over.

He tapped his freshly cleaned trainers against the dusty floor with a tiny clink. Their otherworldly design oddly accented the layer of metal providing extra protection to his ankle.

Then, Knight placed a hand over the hilt of his katana, held together by an ebony belt, entwined together by a crimson red.

At last, Knight muttered “but this…” with a grin engulfing his face.

Schwing

“THIS is the shit.”

Firmly clasped by Knight’s outstretched hand was a beauty. A sharp beauty. A long beauty. A dark beauty.

-And a lonesome blade, crying to be used.

“What am I doing?!”

As the blades cry filled his body, and his hands began to tremble, Knight released his grasp.

“Fuck…” he muttered and shook his head. ‘How could I forget what it did? No… I remembered; it was more like I was being dragged to-’

“-Yes, a fine blade. Its beauty is something only the Wind could craft with the-”

Knight’s self-worry scattered as Chirop examined the black beauty.

“Whoaaa, don’t touch it!” He shouted, snatching the katana off of Chirop.

“Huh? You think a mere blade, even if crafted by the wind with the possible aid of the abyss, could hurt me?

“Yeah…” Knight said under his breath as he sheathed the black blade into its sheathe.

“What did-”

“Iroha my looooove!”

Klavier’s drunken shout caught everyone’s attention, allowing Knight to dodge an explanation.

Iroha was walking down the stairs but with an additional shadow behind.

“That red dress is looking lovely,” Klavier said, sleazily admiring the red robe dress accenting her small, but curvaceous, frame. “-Oh! and I love what you’ve done with your tail.”

“Heheh…” Iroha giggled, shoving her hands to her tail wrapped around her waist. It was clear she wanted to hide it as it was covered by a few leather pouches. “Thank you.”

Next, it was Cerrin’s turn to greet her…

“Awww, who’s a cwute guuurl?”

…Or to greet someone else.

His terrible baby voice was directed at Iroha’s additional shadow, which grew further and further away until it became separate.

It was…

“Miss Rei, that’s who,” Klavier said, patting the girl’s head, who shyly averted her gaze.

Knight’s head perked up but he sat down, waiting for the others to finish mithering the two girls (and definitely not because he was feeling shy).

 

Lost in admiring his new look through a tankard’s reflection, Knight was unaware of their arrival.

“Master...” Rei poked for his attention with a quiet voice.

“…”

Knight was silent, but he heard her.

“Um…”

Cough-name-cough.”

“...Um, Knight…?”

“Oh, if it isn’t Rei,” he said with a beaming smile as he swivelled around his chair.

“I’m glad you-”

“WOAH! When did you?!” Knight shouted; eyes wide.

“Ah… When did I do this?” She asked, pointing towards her new clothes.

“Mhm,” Knight nodded fiercely.

“J-Just then. I thought that since you apologised to Iroha I would…” Rei hesitated as she averted her gaze and rubbed her fringe. “I would surprise you as a thank you.”

“Eh? Oh, thanks…” Knight muttered, his smile fading a tiny bit. ‘I for sure would have rather her let me choose.’

“Eh? D-Do you not like it?” Rei asked, flustered from head to toe.

However, before Knight could explain himself, Iroha answered herself.

“Wellll, I don’t think it’s that.”

“Wh-what is it?”

“Well, I’m pretty sure he would’ve liked to dress you himself. Right, Senpai?”

“CHOICE OF WORDS!” He snapped back, forgetting to dismiss her idea.

“Ah, sorry, tee-hee,” She playfully apologized with a tilt of her head. “Well, I asked Rei if she would like to wait for you but she said she’d surprise you instead. You would rather have chosen, right?”

“…Thanks for reminding me you can read minds,” Knight muttered, his face as lifeless as a grave. “Though why did you choose to surprise me?”

Turning to Rei after Iroha replied with a giggle, he posed this question.

“…” Rei was silent. From her red face and averted gaze, it was clear she was embarrassed to tell.

“Aww,” Iroha let out at the fidgeting girl. “She told me she didn’t want to make you wait to see everyone just ‘cause your helping her.”

“…Damn,” Knight cursed under his breath. “You really are too nice.”

After a slight tilt of her head, Rei posed a question. “So…um, where are we going next?”

“Ah…”

Before Knight could say a word, Iroha replied.

“Oh yeah, we should reaaaaly be going now.”

After an “I guess,” from Knight and a questioning expression from Rei, Iroha called to everyone.

 

“Finally goin’ eh?” Cerrin asked swigging the last of his drink. Then, his cheery expression turned serious as he slammed his tankard down. “Where to?”

“Err… Um… It’s…” noises trickled out of her mouth, choosing to beat around the bush. “…to the north…”

Eyebrows raised, Cerrin mumbled, “The north… In other words, the quickest route to the King…”

“Ha…haaah… yeah, that’s right…” Iroha itched her head and laughed.

“The demon king…”

“M-maybe….hah….haaah,” She squeezed out a reply, glancing over to Knight.

Knight had joined Cerrin in the raised eyebrow club, wondering why she was so hesitant to admit it. ‘I mean, I figured it was some demon, and that stereotypical isekai name confirmed it…’

“Yeaaaah… We’re heading to um… Reverse mountain or somet’”

“Mngh”

A noise escaped Iroha, her cheeks puffed up. Somehow Knight’s words weren’t what she wanted. Then what did she want? To change the topic?

Ignoring Iroha’s annoyed expression, Cerrin posed a question.

“Hmm, without your arm, bro? If that king wants you then it won’t be pretty.”

“EH?”

“Papa ain’t like that!”

As Knight let out, Iroha spat.

“Right, right,” Cerrin glossed over her answer and mumbled. “You’re a demon after all…”

“…”

“…”

With silence falling on the Inn, Knight dashed it aside.

“WOAH, WOAH, WOAH!”

“What up, Knight?” Klavier asked before glugging his beer.

“IROHA! PAPA! DEMON KING?”

“…” Iroha averted her gaze, Knight’s words penning her in.

“And?” Cerrin asked with a chuckle and freed Iroha. “Pretty common for demons to call the king their Father, Papa, Dad, the lot.”

“Ahhhahhh… I see.”

“Anyways, I asked you if you were going without your arm.”

“…and I said ‘EH?’”

“So a yes, bro? I’d advise against it.”

“…Why?”

“Well, quite a few reasons. You have the other sin that holes up near the border. Her patrol. The new border guards. The king himself. Not to mention the insects.”

“I… I see. But it won’t make a difference either way. If someone attacks me I have no way of protecting myself, with or without the arm… apart from this sword I guess but…”

With wild laughter Cerrin replied. “True, true.”

“Don’t acknowledge it so quickly…” Knight mumbled.

“Well, I guess that’s even more of a reason. Wanna come and get a new arm and learn how to actually defend yourself?”

Knight’s eyes lit up, “Learn how to use magic?”

“Yeah, dunno how you don’t already cuz I mean… we live off it.”

As Knight processed what Cerrin plainly stated, his eyes drooped and his face sagged. “Ah… Where are you going though?”

Knight knew of course why he couldn’t use magic, but he still had hope. Maybe something could bring him the power.

“Hroa. Our country.”

Knight’s eyes grew wide as those words fell into his ears. ‘The land of the elves…’

Knight’s hope grew larger. From what he knew, Elves were always the masters of magic. Surely they knew some way to get him magic. After all, despite being on good terms with Iroha, he didn’t trust those pills or these ‘curses’ she forced upon him.

“Knight…senpai…” Iroha’s quiet voice called out.

“Yeah, what’s up? Not normally this quiet.”

“Eh? Wha-” Iroha grew red as she was called out. Something was up with her. But thanks to being called out, she forced herself back with a smile. “I’m not! Just saying that we can’t really afford to wait around, never mind go somewhere else.”

“Why?” Knight asked, hoping his hope wouldn’t be put on hold.

“Y-Y’know…”

“Eh… Oh, *sigh*

After a few seconds, Knight remembered. He was told that she wanted to please her king. Though Knight felt something was off about that. He didn’t want to question her right after making up with her but…

‘-What normal citizen tries so hard to please their king?’

With these thoughts, he mumbled, “what a pain…”, and opened his mouth to convince her.

“-Oh yeah, it’ll be that night soon.”

Instead, Meimi’s voice came out.

Everyone but Knight and Rei nodded their heads.

“True… but then it’d be best if you came with us.” Cerrin agreed, thinking that they’d have to come with him now. “I mean you can’t wait here and go, Lavri would gobble Knight up again. If you leave now it’s still dangerous. I don’t see why coming with us is bad. It’s only a few nights.”

“It can go on for months. The first one went on for like, ten years. We definitely can’t wait that long.”

“I guess, but then again, with her children, it’s basically always that night, just not as hardcore.”

As the two bickered about the night unknown to Knight, he posed a question.

“Um… If we can’t wait but it’s too dangerous, then can’t you guard us Cerrin, Klavier?”

Cerrin and Klavier exchanged glances, and Klavier spoke.

“No can do, sorry. Lavri ain’t allowing us out of this town. Part of the negotiations.”

“Though…” Cerrin added. “We could send these brats.”

Knight looked over to the two kids, ‘chosen by the wind’.

“No, thanks. That’s too much effort.”

“Ugh!” Iroha finally relented to her annoyance. “I’m sorry, but I’m a demon, told by the king to get Knight. It’ll be fine.

 

*          *          *

Cerrin and Klavier, quietly glugging down their beers, watched as the wooden door creaked open.

The door was open, yet no sun seeped in.

Quietly blotting out the sun, the shadow ducked under the door frame.

As the towering figure revealed himself, the two elves dropped their tankards to the table, smiles cracking their faces.

Then, the rag-covered wall stepped forward, leaving the still silence behind. His body rattling; the floorboards creaking in pain.

The two steps erased the distance between the three.

“Who could it be?” Klavier spoke out with a giggle.

Clunk

A mess of chains dropped onto the table.

“Stop with the useless question.” A growl escaped from under the draping hood. Then, with the smallest glint of a fang, the figure’s intimidating presence eased. “Can’t stand ya when ya drunk.”

0