Ch.2: The Danger
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a tongue lashing from the teacher as the principle simply watch Tri emerged from the teacher’s office with his head lowered. Feeling dejected and with first period already half over Tri made his way towards the library as he walked through the halls staring out of the window.

            “How’s it going, Tri,” Saffy says walking up to him with a large smile on her face. “So, you survived, I knew you would.”

            “Thanks,” Tri says still dejected.

            “Oh, come on don’t look like that, first period’s almost over so wanna sit around until second starts?”

Tri looks at her curiously. “Why aren’t you in class?”

            “You know, just running an errand or two.”

            “So, you found an excuse to skip class again?”

            “Oh no, I’m actually working hard. Besides, I’m already passing and studied ahead for that class, as long as I don’t miss any tests it should be good.”

            “It’s ironic that the student the teachers like the most would skip class so easily.”

            “Well, that’s just the way it is.” She says walking off with Tri following.

 

Saffron Enderson, I call her Saffy, I guess you could call her my best friend. I’ve known her forever, and she’s the only person I feel close to around here. She’s brilliant in her own way and has always been an honor student and incredibly helpful, but even she has her weaknesses here and there. When she needs someone to rely on, then I’m there to pick her up, even if it’s not a very common sight.

 

            “Hey Tri, are you listening to me?” Saffy says snapping Tri to her attention.

Tri stares at her. “What?”

            “Have you been listening at all?”

            “Nope.”

            “You know if you ever get a girlfriend she’ll smack you for something like that.” She says annoyed.

Tri smirks. “Well, maybe that’s why I don’t have a girlfriend.”

She rolls her eyes and lowers her head into a book as Tri stares off into space.

The pair sit in the library as they wait around for the bell to ring signaling the end of first period. Saffy sits around pulling books off the shelves and scanning through them as Tri stares into space occasionally taking glances at his phone. He sits bored as Saffy occasionally tries sparks up a conversation and then drops the subject quickly and then moves on.

            “Alright, what’s in your head?” Saffy asks putting the book down.

            “What?”

She rolls her eyes. “You always get like this when you have something on your mind. You get quiet, don’t talk, and stare at your phone, it’s kind of obvious.”

            “Okay your right, I do have something in my head okay?”

            “So, you wanna talk about it?”

            “No.”

            “I’ll give you a minute,” Saffy says with a slight grin.

Tri shuffles around in his chair and then stands up. He circles around the table for a moment and then slams his hands down on the wood glaring at Saffy.

            “Well?”

            “Okay your right, I do want to talk about it.”

Saffy smiles. “Okay let’s do it then.”

Tri sits down. “I really hate how you know me so well.”

            “Well that works both ways, but look on the bright side, this way you’ll always have someone to talk to.” She says happily.

            “Alright, so you know about the attacks going on in the city right?”

            “Almost everyone knows about that. It’s on the news almost every day it's kind of annoying.”

            “Well, it’s been on my mind lately.”

Saffy stands and looks down at him. “Why?”

            “I can’t help it, it just pops up in my head every so often.”

Saffy sits. “Tri, it’s not good for you to dwell on this.”

            “But it’s on your mind to isn’t it.”

Saffy blushes slightly. “What’re you talking about?”

            “I know you're thinking about it, your thinking about going out to help someone aren’t you?” Tri asks pointing at Saffy.

            “So now we’re turning this on me?”

            “You’re too nice Saffy. One of these days someone’s going to take advantage of that niceness and hurt you.”

            “Tri we’ve been over this.”

            “Saffy, this isn’t a lost dog, or some injured animal. This isn’t even helping some bullied kid, these are attacks.”

            “I know,” Saffy says rolling her eyes.

            “People have been put in the hospital.”

            “I know.”

            “If you're thinking of going out and doing something then don’t, just leave it for the cops and then they’ll do something.”

Saffy stands. “Tri something is weird about this I know it, these aren’t just random attacks by crazy people.”

            “How do you know?”

            “I don’t, but I can feel it like there are eyes on us we’re not seeing,” Saffy says seriously. “And besides if I can help a single person then I’ll do what I can too.”

Tri sands. “Saffy, please you have to stay out of this. Just stay in the house and come to school like always.”

            “Tri, I can’t help it you know….”

            “Once you get your mind on something you can’t stop yourself, especially if you feel like someone’s in trouble.”

            “And I feel it like someone’s calling out to me begging for help,” Saffy says nervously. “You think I’m going crazy, don’t you?”

            “Nope, that’s just you Saffy,” Tri says.

            “So, you’re not calling me crazy?”

            “Nope, those feelings of yours are occasionally right on the money. But I’m telling you just this time to ignore it, just forget about the feeling and stay safe.” Tri says seriously.

Saffy lowers her head. “Alright, if you think it’s for the best I’ll ignore it this time and just stay at home.”

            “Good, and don’t scare me like that ever again,” Tri says putting his hands on her shoulders. “Now let’s go back to being another pair of stupid teenagers.”

Saffy smiles slightly. “Right.”

As the pair stand around the bell rings echoing across the library. “Well ready?” Saffy asks.

            “As ever.”

            “Good, I’ll see you at lunch.” Saffy reaches down and grabs her backpack. “I’ll be claiming some of your fries.”

            “We’ll see about that,” Tri says waving her off as he lowers his head. “Saffy, you’re a terrible liar.” He whispers to himself.

0