Ch.16: Explaining Time
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tri and Saffy take Kyle to the school nurse to seek medical aid after dropping him off the two stand in the hallway. Saffy stares up at Tri as he stares out of the window staring at Edmond as he floats just outside looking into the distance.

            “If you want to go looking around then go,” Tri says seriously.

With a nod, Edmond fades away into the air leaving Tri and Saffy alone as they walk the halls.

            “Tri?”

            “Edmond went to patrol the area, he has a bad feeling about the thing that took over Kyle,” Tri says seriously. “It supposedly wasn’t like any of the other Phantoms, it’s making him nervous.”

            “Oh alright,” Saffy says. “But anyway, what was all of that?”

            “That was what a fight against Phantoms is like.”

            “What?”

            “They slowly take someone over and make them their puppet rampaging until they’re satisfied, or at least that’s what Edmond says.”

Saffy lowers her head. “And you’ve been doing that this whole time?”

            “Well, only since this watch got stuck onto my arm,” Tri says holding up the Phantomizer. “Of course, I’ve been trying my best to not get involved, but it’s happened from time to time.”

            “I’m surprised, normally you’d want to avoid situations like that.”

            “I’ve been trying, but I end up just stuck in this crap,” Tri says exhaustedly. “Anyway, let’s ignore that and go about our day, shall we?”

            “I guess,” Saffy mumbles.

The pair returns to class and go about their average day with Tri, doing his best to ignore the Phantom issue. Saffy, on the other hand, obsesses over it, thinking of the battle she saw in flashes.

She thinks about the heat of Tri’s attacks, and the look on Kyle’s face when he was beaten. Her mind wanders over to the possibilities, thinking of Tri rushing into battle. Thinking of the victories, and the possible defeats.

            “I think you should stop!” Saffy yells at Tri as the school day ends. “You shouldn’t go into battle anymore.”

Tri sighs. “Trust me, I’ve been trying to find some way. But the only way I can get myself out of this crap is to get rid of this dumb watch.”

            “So, let’s get rid of it!”

            “Can’t, I already said it’s stuck to my arm,” Tri says exasperatedly. “It’s annoying to have Edmond give me Hero speeches every so often.”

            “Well, there has to be something we can do?” Saffy asks. “What if we raid the Shop Class, and we take a few tools and then we go to town on that watch?”

            “Well I think we’d be kicked out of school for one and secondly look here.” Tri holds out the watch to show off the coin embedded within. “This thing is basically Edmond himself, if it’s damaged I don’t know what’d happen to him.”

Saffy stares at the coin. “So that’s Edmond’s body or something?”

            “Something like that.”

She grins softly. “So, you do really care about him.”

            “Look I just want to be rid of him, not kill him again.”

            “Alright then, what do we do?” Saffy asks.

            First, I suggest you both move this conversation aside. Edmond says floating near the duo. I believe your school bell is about to ring, and I don’t think you want to get in trouble.

            “Alright let’s move!” Tri yells out.

            “Hey wait, there has to be something we can do?”

 

Elsewhere across town in a large park, a thin man walks along holding out a phone as he scans the area searching for any sign of his quarry. He sighs loudly as he marches along continuing to search the area frustrated.

            “I got shafted here.” He says putting his phone away. “The Boss said I had to find someone over in this stupid place, but there’s no one here.”

He sighs loudly as he pulls a device out of his back pocket. “Well, at least I got my hands on this baby.”

He smiles as he puts the device away and then pulls a coin out of his pocket. “And all I need is something to test this new power on. Hopefully, I can find this little twerp and then maybe I’ll get even more rewards.”

He smiles and walks through the park as he looks around with a sly grin on his face facing the school building as he pulls out his phone.

 

As the bell rings Tri and Saffy walk towards the exit as Saffy stares up towards a fuzzy figure floating above her head. For belief moments the figure becomes visible only to quickly switch in and out of focus yet again. As she does she sighs loudly and turns away with Tri staring at her curiously.

            “Alright, what’s wrong?”

            “This is annoying. I wish I could see him.” Saffy says looking at Edmond. “I mean, if I could see him then maybe we could come up with some plan.”

            “Well the only clue I have to go on, is finding the old man.”

            “The one who gave you the watch huh?” Saffy asks curiously. “Maybe I could help.”

            “What do you mean?”

Saffy smirks. “Well, I happen to know at least a little about hunting people down.”

            “How?”

            “Okay, not exactly people, but I can use my sources to find things, mostly lost pets.” She whispers.

Tri sighs. “So, this old man is a pet then?”

            “Look here, the Grannies are really helpful.”

            “Grannies?”

            Well, do you have any clue that could help us? Edmond asks. If you do then please go ahead and say it.

            “Fine!” Tri yells out. “Let’s go to these Grannies.”

            “So, did Edmond agree with me?” Saffy asks. “If he did, good job Edmond. Now let’s go ask the Grannies and maybe they’ll have a clue.”

As the pair pass, the man holds out his phone taking a glance at Tri as he stares at his phone. “Still nothing, great.” He says annoyed. “Maybe it wasn’t by the schoolhouse, of course, schools always make me nervous.”

He sighs and reaches towards his back pocket. “Maybe sometime soon I can use my new toy. Hopefully.”

0