Ch.25: A Warrior’s Bargain
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tri forces himself to stand as Jago stares at Saffy making his way towards her with a smile on his face. He turns towards Tri and holds out his finger with his bow fading away as he focuses on Tri’s Phantomizer and Edmond’s coin resting within.

            “You’re not at your true potential, so I’ll wait for you.” He says happily. “But this isn’t a freebie.”

            “What?”

            “My Tainted Water is still in your system slowly drowning you from within. Without a greater force, you won’t be able to remove it or survive the next few hours.” He says turning towards Saffy. “And if that’s not enough motivation then….”

            “Run Saffy!” Tri yells out.

Saffy stares at Tri and nods rushing off down the road.

            “Wow, you think I can’t keep up with a girl,” Jago says jokingly. “Well, I guess I actually have to now…”

Jago rushes ahead and Tri holds out his Phantomizer. “Damn it work!”

He presses his hand against it repeatedly only for the watch to do nothing. He desperately slams his hand down on it relentlessly.

            “Phantomize!” The watch yells out.

In a flash of light Tri rushes down the street parts of his armor broken and falling as he moves ahead after Jago.

 

Saffy runs down the road making her way towards the school as she stares at the front gate. She leaps over the fence and lands on the other side running onto the campus as she makes her way towards the building.

Following her footsteps, Jago makes his way to the gate smirking as he leaps over it continues the chase. He turns back slightly to see an exhausted and suffering Tri in his footsteps leaping over the fence but falling on his face.

            “Come on, you’ve gotta do better than that if you want to save her.” He says jokingly as he moves ahead. “Use your real power or else you’ll die.”

Tri picks himself up and runs after Jago desperately trying to keep up.

 

Saffy runs into the school building and rushes into a classroom hiding behind a desk as she slows her breathing. She calms herself and sits there waiting, hoping for Jago to pass by her and her to go completely unnoticed.

            “Come on out little lady,” Jago says walking by the room. “I promise I’m a gentleman and I swear you won’t be in pain, I’ll make sure of it.”

            “Don’t touch her!” Tri yells out rushing in.

He slams into Jago and knocks him back only for Jago to toss him aside and look down on him. “Come on man, now you’re being a sad welp.”

            “Shut up!” Tri yells out. “I’ll stop you!”

            “Not like that you’re not.” Jago sighs and turns away. “Come on man, stop embarrassing yourself.”

Tri holds out his sword and swings it towards Jago only for his sword to break and fall to pieces. “What?”

            “Your injured and weak. You don’t have the power to even maintain that form, forcing yourself into it is just going to weaken you more.” Jago whispers. “Do yourself a favor and use your last few hours in peace.”

            “Shut up.”

            “Fine if you won’t take it.” Jago materializes his bow and takes aim ant, Tri. “Then I’ll put you out of your misery.”

Tri stares up at Jago with an intense pain coursing through his body as he struggles to even stand. The pair stare into each other’s eyes and don’t speak a word only for Saffy to rush out of the classroom staring at the both of them.

            “Stop!” She yells out. “I’ll go with you, just leave Tri alone!”

Jago puts his bow away and smirks. “That’s what I like to hear.”

            “No!” Tri yells out.

Saffy lowers herself and stares into Tri’s eyes. “Come on now, don’t you remember what he said?”

            “What?”

            “A gentlemen’s bet. If you can come after us and use your true power then I’ll return her to you and stop my assault on you.” Jago says seriously. “Of course, that’s all assuming you can beat the Tainted Water and awaken that power.”

Tri forces himself to stand. “I won’t lose to you.”

            “You have yet to prove that.” He grabs onto Saffy’s arm. “I’ll be holding onto her until the time we meet again in about two hours. I’ll be sure to make her send the location.”

            “I’ll beat you and I’ll be sure to save Saffy no matter what,” Tri says as he struggles to stand.

Jago turns. “I like that. Keep up the attitude and you might survive.”

Saffy turns. “Tri, I believe you in. I know you’ll figure this out and come after me, I know it because no matter what you’re my Hero,"

            “Saffy,” Tri mumbles.

Jago walks off with Saffy in tow as the two walk off into the shadows. “Be sure to show up, I’d hate for all of this to be pointless.”

            “I promise, I’ll come after you,” Tri says as he falls to the ground. “I’ll make sure of it.”

His armor fades away and he lays there unconscious on the ground with an intense pain all over his body as his lungs fill with water. As he lies there a figure walks up to the unconscious Tri and picks him up.

            “I don’t know what’s going on here.” The figure says. “But I can’t just leave you here, I’m a hero after all, or at least I’m trying to be.”

 

Elsewhere on top of a rooftop in the middle of the city, the old man looks down on everything as he holds out a coin. He stares into the sky and sees the Phantoms floating unconscious as they start to fall towards the ground.

            “Ah, the situations getting worse. It’s getting worse and worse every day.” He says putting the coin in his pocket. “I wonder just what I was doing all this time. What my research lead us to, all of this is my fault. And there’s nothing I can do to fix it.”

0