Chapter 35: Clean Plate
53 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Catch a fish by its tail, it’ll lead you to treasure. Catch a Wealther by his collar, he’ll lead you to a meal.”

-Elandran saying.

 

Wil took Yin to a place called Nij Clazz, meaning ‘Empty Plate’ in Estaroso according to him. The interior was greasy and unwashed, and the only customers were a pair of gruff cloud chasers, but the savory scent that met her—meat and spice and something stewing—made her stomach grumble.

They sat around a rickety table. A few minutes later a large man came out, white-inked tattoos running all up his dark-brown arms, wearing a stained apron and puffing on a cigarette. His brow was a mess of wrinkles under a worried frown.

He grunted something in Estaroso, eyeing Yin closely, and Wil answered in the same language. They went on for a minute, and the man’s expression eased up. He laughed, clapped Yin on the back, and waddled off.

“That’s my uncle,” Wil said. “He can be a little much, but he makes the best Wealther food in the Sunken District.”

“What did you order us?” Yin asked.

Wil gave a lop-sided grin. “Let that be a surprise.” He paused. “Hey, can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“You’re an Awakened, right?”

Yin rubbed her green-skinned shoulder. “I… I’m not really sure what I am. Something in between, I guess. I’d rather not talk about it.”

“Oh. For sure. I didn’t mean to make you—”

“Let’s talk about something else.”

Wil’s uncle brought out their food a few minutes later. Two large plates of fries, smothered in cheese and gravy to the point of overflowing with beef mince on the side. To drink, they each had a tall can of Sunburst Orange.

“Wow…” Yin said. “This is… I think my ship’s cook would have a heart attack if he saw this.”

It’ll shave a few years off your lifespan, for sure,” Wil said, “but it’s so worth it. Give it a shot.”

Yin loaded up her fork with cheesy fries and jammed it into her mouth. The fusion of greasy, salty flavors made her eyes roll back as she hummed her approval.

Wil laughed. “I’ll take it the food gets a pass?”

Yin affected apathy as she swallowed and wiped some gravy from the corner of her mouth. “Hmm. I suppose it’ll do.”

They both ate with gusto, Wil more so than her. He ate like he hadn’t seen food in a month, cleaning the plate to a shine in less than ten minutes. He leaned back with a great sigh and slapped his stomach.

“That really hit the spot,” he said.

“Do you always eat like that?” Yin asked.

“Like what?”

“Like a starved wolf.”

He shrugged, gaze darkening. “There’s not always food, so I take the opportunity when I get it.”

“Your dad’s a piece of work, huh?”

Wil went quiet, looked away. “You could say that.”

Sensing his discomfort, Yin gave a tentative smile. “Don’t worry, I won’t push. I don’t have to talk about my shit, you don’t have to talk about yours. Promise.”

Wil nodded. “Thanks. So, what’s it like to be on Wenezian’s crew?”

“Not bad.”

“Not bad?” Wil dropped his fork. “Come on, details! I’m dying for it, here! Rand says I’m still too young to be a pirate, so I’m not really part of his crew. I just clean his ship when they’re docked.”

Yin rubbed at her hands, wiping blood that wasn’t there. A bad habit.

Best not tell him what I’m really like.

“I don’t do much,” she said. “Like you, I guess.”

Wil snorted. “Ha! You expect me to believe that?”

Yin blushed. “What’s funny?”

Wil held up his hands. “Nothing, nothing. It’s just, you’re clearly some kind of badass. You’re always carrying those swords around, and, well…” He leaned close, hand cupped around his mouth. “You’ve got a bit of a reputation.”

Yin blew out her cheeks. She relented. “Fine. I’ve done my share of killing.”

“Wow! What’s your count?”

Yin frowned. “Count? I have no idea. My swords are rarely clean, let’s keep it at that.”

“That’s so damn cool!” Wil said, drumming his fingers on the tabletop. “So the stories are true.”

He doesn’t seem put off.

Not one bit.

Yin smiled. “More or less. They always leave out the best parts, though.”

Wil grinned wide. “You’ve got to tell me your stories sometime. How it really happened.”

She reluctantly agreed.

They finished their food in silence, but not an unpleasant one. When Yin left to return to the ship, she did so with the promise that they’d see each other again.

Best be nice to him. He seems lonely.

*****

Yin snuck onto the Tits Up, quiet as a mouse. She tiptoed through empty corridors, crawled along the ceiling past Kurko, who was enjoying some tea in the rec room, and made it to her cabin. She rushed inside and shut the door, letting out a relieved breath.

“I did it,” she whispered, thumbing the amulet. “I’m the best.”

“Did what?” asked Stephan.

Yin whirled around. Stephan sat on her bed, glasses glinting on the bridge of his nose, an open book in his hands.

“Listen, I can explain—” she said.

“No, you listen!” There was anger in his voice, and he rose from the bed like a vengeful spirit, tossing the book aside. “I should have known you’d do something like this.”

He lifted her under her armpits and carried her to the bed, setting her down. “There. Sit. Explain.” He crouched in front of her so that they were face-to-face.

“You haven’t told the captain?” Yin asked.

He shook his head. “She’s still not back, lucky for you. That doesn’t mean you’ll get out of this easily. You could have died today. I worried. So explain, before I pop a fucking vessel!”

Yin held out the amulet. “I lost it. Had to get it back.”

Stephan leaned back on his haunches, let out a big sigh. “Ah. That’s what it was. You should have told the crew. We could’ve gone out as a group.”

Yin’s cheeks went hot. “I… I didn’t want to tell anyone. It’s embarrassing.”

“Because you don’t care about a stupid necklace, am I right?” Stephan asked, his anger slowly sapped away and replaced by the beginnings of a smile.

Yin said nothing.

“Took you a while to find it?”

Yin blushed harder. “Uh, yeah. It was kind of an ordeal, actually.”

Stephan paused. “Huh.” He scratched the back of his head. “You’re hiding something. Spit it out.” He held up a finger. “Wait, nevermind. I can see it all over your face.”

“What?” Yin spluttered. She wiped at her cheeks. “There’s nothing to see!”

“Oh, yes there is. There was a boy, am I right? If I’m not mistaken, that lad from the Rand Crew was about your age…”

“Oh, shut up!” She thumped Stephan in the chest and sent him flying back on his butt.

He laughed and rubbed the sore spot. “So I got it right. Did you two have fun?”

“Shut up, shut up, shut up.”

Stephan leaned forward, put a hand on her shoulder. “Listen. I’m not angry, okay? I was just worried half to death. It’s great that you’ve found a friend your age.”

“You mean you won’t tell the captain?” Yin asked.

“Not as long as you act responsibly, and tell me when you’re coming or going. Yours is a tender age, and I won’t stand in the way of that.”

“Stop talking like you’re my grandpa.”

“Grandpa? I’m not nearly old enough for that! What, you see a grey hair?” He tousled his jet-black shock of hair in mock panic.

Yin giggled. She took Stephan into a hug, squeezing tight. He made a sound like a choked frog, and she let up a little.

“Thank you,” she whispered. “For being there.”

She could feel his smile, head buried against his chest.

“Always,” he said.

Support my starving ass so I can keep making free content by checking out my novel!

https://www.amazon.com/Free-Tomorrow-Magelight-Book-ebook/dp/B088Q15F7G/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

4