Chapter 1 – I woke up in bed with the demon lord
1.2k 7 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When 34-year-old Saikawa Kotori woke up with a hangover, the first thing she noticed was that she was in bed with a man.

'Ugh, I don't remember anything... Was I drunk?' she thought with a hazy fog over her eyes.

The university professor struggled to to recall her memories, but she drew a blank. The last thing that she remembered was attending her ex-fiancé's wedding — the man whom she had almost married years ago. He had since then happily progressed with his own life. The guy had found love with a dashing culinary chef who worked at a test kitchen and posted many popular Niconico videos online. The chef was a man, by the way, since her ex-fiancé was gay. Years ago, he had confessed his doubts about his sexual orientation when Kotori was about to marry him, raising his concern about their future together on their wedding day. This was the first of Kotori's three almost-marriages to be ruined.

Of course, they had remained close friends since then. She had been heartbroken at the time, but Kotori had genuinely loved him. He had been her lover and closest companion. Seven years later, Kotori knew she ought to be happy for her ex-fiancé. She had agreed to attend his wedding, but it was still slightly painful to watch the ceremony. Even after all that time (and many failed relationships in between), it was remarkable how her heart was still so tender. Perhaps it was true that the first love left the greatest impression.

Ultimately, Kotori had left her ex-fiancé's wedding early, before they even served the cake. Instead, she had called a taxi home and immediately filled her tiny Tokyo apartment bath tub with hot water. Kotori added a scented bath bomb, then popped open several bottles of premium plum wine. She didn't cry (Kotori seldom cried), and instead she drank herself nearly senseless while soaking in a bubble bath. 

Yeah, it was a bit depressing.

She wasn't sure exactly how she had gotten herself back to bed afterwards.

Fumbling around instinctively for her glasses, Kotori's hands stumbled across something extraordinarily soft and luxurious. It was glossy, fleecy, and warm, and soothing like a silken cloud of pure fluff.

'What's this?' She thought, and tried to pick it up, only to find that it was attached to her body.

Confused, she rubbed her eyes as she sat up in bed. The fluffiness seemed to move along with her, and she struggled to find a way to take it off. Despite her tugging, there didn't seem to be any kind of seam or sewing. The material's quality was just like premium sheep fleece. Most of her upper torso was covered in wispy snow-white fur, a little bit like a lion's mane. There were also patches of fluff on her arms and legs, although her abdomen was smooth and bare. As a matter of fact, Kotori realized that she was completely in the nude, aside from the fleece-like stuff on her body.

She reached up to feel her head, encountered a pair of curly horns and long ears, then laughed out loud:

"Ha, I think I've played too much pokemon." 

Kotori was beginning to develop an image in her head.

"I must be dreaming about pokemon gijinka.1Pokemon in human form. What am I? A Mareep? A Wooloo? Am I a sheep? Is there a mirror anywhere? What the heck is all this fluff? It feels really soft."

It was just then that a pair of ice blue eyes snapped open.

It was the sleeping man had that Kotori had completely forgotten about until now. His torso was muscular and broad, and the color of his skin was a tinge of faint gun-metal gray. His hair was supple and black as night, and most conspicuously, there was a pair of majestic tusks sticking out from his head.

Their eyes met, and there was pure silence for several long seconds.

He spoke first in a deep voice: "It seems like a mosquito appeared again."

Kotori: "Hah?"

Unknown Man: "Get out. Now."

He sounded annoyed.

Saikawa Kotori was flabbergasted. Although she had slept together with many men over the years (who the heck was this guy anyways?), she had never been insulted by someone she had shared a bed with.

"...? Alright, sure? But what's even going on?"

Kotori wrapped herself in sheets and prepared to get out of bed, even though she was tremendously confused. She looked around the room, and then realized that this wasn't her apartment. The decor was pompous and tacky, like a poor imitation of an 18th Century French palace interior. There was also a lot of black. Black window curtains and black carpets.

Unknown Man: "No. Not that way. Get out of the body."

Kotori: "...?"

Unknown Man: "You are inside my property. That undead sheep homunculus is my possession. It's the best pillow I own. Understand that I, the demon lord Mephistos, do not treat petty thieves lightly."

Kotori: "D-Demon lord?"

Kotori's jaw practically dropped. Even if she was dreaming, wasn't this plot development a little too cliche? Decades ago, Kotori had been obsessed with paranormal romance, vampires, and demon lords. As a teen, she gobbled up every single dark fantasy novel that was on her local library shelves. She had long thought she had outgrown those cringeworthy delusional teenage fantasies. In fact, it was embarrassing to see see this type of trope play out in front of her eyes.

The self-proclaimed demon lord Mephistos rose from bed (...naked, >///<) and summoned a flaming magical sword of flickering blue light to his hand. He walked slowly forward towards Kotori as he raised the blade over his head.

"Unnamed wandering spirit, for the crime of stealing the property of the king of demons, prepare yourself for your extermination," he said coldly, and then swung down his sword.

Kotori erupted in flames from hell.

She screamed.

 

This is actually an old concept that I had from several years ago, but it's getting resurrected now. Anyone familiar with me from SH (forums/discord) probably knows that I've been attempting to write smut. I've added a few more smutty chapters to To Be a Kitsune and I posted a prologue for I haven't a clue how to write smut, but I've been struggling to figure out exactly what kind of smut I want to write. Writing smut is really hard!

With The Demon Lord is an Insomniac, I kind of want to write a more loving kind of smut, kind of with the atmosphere of a married couple. The ML will have a cold exterior, but I want to see him melt and be adorable <3333333. Despite being the Demon Lord, I want to make him gentle and actually disinterested in the FL (aside from using her as a sleep aid). Meanwhile, I guess I'd also like to see the FL use her academic skills to make a positive mark in the demon community.

As usual, I'm a notoriously inconsistent author. If you really like a story, leave comments and poke me to write more!

20