Chapter 6 – The hero scares me, what is he going to do?
875 15 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
Content warning: The gore is more graphic/intense than usual

"It's nothing personal," the Hero said.

He slowly walked in a semi-circle, careful to maintain his distance. There were still thick clouds of dust in the air, which dramatically reduced the visibility in the dimly lit underground crypt. The Hero was clearly being cautious, as the Demon Lord could be hiding an untold number of nasty surprises.

"I'm just doing my job. Don't hold it against me."

There was no response from the indistinct crumple of bodies on the ground.

Kotori couldn't speak, but her chains rattled in the silence of the stone chamber.

The Hero raised one eyebrow as the fog slowly started to clear. He could vaguely make out the outlines of two individuals amidst a puddle of blood, although he could only sense one other presence in this room. This was unexpected. Running was cowardly, and he hadn't expected the Demon Lord to succumb to his injuries so quickly. At the very least, the Hero had prepared for at least one more grueling battle.

"The Demon Lord's unconscious?" He spoke slowly, his stance apprehensive. "And who are you?"

The man in shining armor lacked a legitimate weapon, but he looked menacing nonetheless. He exuded an aura of invincibility. Sharp blades were mounted on his gauntlets, and he was carrying a large wooden club that was cracked down the midline. The Hero seemed completely unbothered by the fact the club was about to snap in half. Although he was cautious, his posture was so relaxed and flexible, like someone who was taking a casual afternoon stroll in the park.

He looked confident.

Kotori moved her arms in front of her, desperate to signal something. The chains clattered as she waved her hands around. But then it occurred to her that it was unlikely for the people of this world to know sign language. She must have looked stupid flailing her arms, and the Hero showed no sign of comprehension.

She needed to figure out some way to express that she was siding with the Hero.

The Demon Lord had run out of time. She felt slightly sorry for him, but he was basically the same as dead now. The Hero who had inflicted his initial injuries had successfully managed to track him down, and he was here to finish the job. Winston Churchill was often credited with saying, "History is written by the victors," and Kotori knew the ramifications of that quote.

She wasn't going to die trying to defend a near-dead corpse.

Even with that creepy warm sensation that she had felt with Mephistos, Kotori judged that fighting the Hero was impossible.

It was better to get on the Hero's good side, and perhaps he would free her from these shackles. Maybe he would even take her along in his party. In either case, she would have accomplished her original objectives. Kotori was no longer trapped inside a bottle, and she had a body of her own to figure things out with. Frankly, she didn't need the Demon Lord anymore. 

Kotori judged that it was better for her to take her chances with the human. Even if he wasn't the friendliest man, Kotori knew humans better and she felt that they were easier to manipulate. As long as she could rack up some brownie points, perhaps he could get the man to drop his guard. Demon Lord Mephistos's excessive paranoia had been inconvenient for her, and Kotori believed that she could do better with a change of pace.

Just then, an agile figure dropped down from the hole in the ceiling and landed in a three-point crouch beside the Hero.

"Need backup?" The newcomer asked.

He appeared to be some kind of rogue or assassin, dressed entirely in dark tightly-fitting fabrics.

"Not needed," the Hero responded. "I'll be finished up here in a couple minutes."

"Okay. The final phase of the invasion of the Demon Continent is about to begin. We just need the barrier down, and then the fleet can move in. The General wanted me to check in on your status."

The Hero tilted his head sideways in temporary confusion.

Moments later, he tapped his helmet on the side as if he remembered something.

"Oh, right! I almost forgot. The Demon Lord's barrier. Give me a moment."

He stepped forward leisurely, but his motion transformed into a blur. Suddenly, the golden man was looming above the Demon Lord's limp body. Kotori practically jumped. It was almost like the man had teleported.

The Hero reached down and grabbed the hilt of the sword that was impaled in Mephistos's chest, and he yanked it out, causing more blood to splatter across Kotori's lap. With a single fluid motion, he swung the blade around and lopped off the Demon Lord's head.

The severed head hit the ground, bounced, and tumbled several feet away. Eventually, it rolled to a stop.

The Demon Lord had been beheaded in a single stroke.

The rest of Mephistos's body spouted blood like a fountain, spurting like an uncontrolled garden hose.

Kotori was frozen still.

She had barely registered what had happened.

The gruesome reality of the scene paralyzed her, and it had happened so quickly. She had never witnessed such brutality right in front of her eyes, and it made her sick to her stomach. The scene was horrifying. She didn't consider herself the Demon Lord's friend by any means, but it was deeply unsettling to see someone she knew killed without the slightest hesitation.

Mephistos hadn't entirely been a bad person. Kotori spent nine months watching him in his office, and the man had good days just as he had bad ones. He could be angry at times, but at other moments he was gentle and kind. While she didn't know exactly what had done to the humans to anger them so much, Kotori felt a sinking feeling of sadness.

"There you go, barrier's down now," the Hero's voice was carefree and informal as he turned to face his companion.

"Thanks. How long before you cast Solar Armageddon? Like you know, obliterating all life on the blighted continent."

The two men continued to chat leisurely in the background.

"Mhm? Maybe a few hours? I could actually do it right now, since fighting the Demon Lord took less energy than I thought. But I think the General might not be happy with me if I did that. He was itching to get some action. It probably looks bad for the army's reputation if they sailed this entire way and didn't spill a single drop of blood. They're looking to loot some spoils too."

"You're not in a hurry to cast it?"

"I'll delay as much as I can. Honestly, I think it's a pity that High Command wants total annihilation. There's a lot of profit to be had on the Demon Continent. This is the last refuge in the world where you can find real wild monsters. If you can get your hands on some Exotics, they'll sell for a nice price on the black market."

"Exotics." The rogue rolled his eyes. "They're an ugly eyesore. I think it'd be better for humanity if you just killed them all. How much is the Smuggler's Guild paying you to conveniently delay your mission?"

"Hey, be open-minded. Have you ever fucked a mermaid? A spider girl?"

"I'd rather not," he answered dryly. "I don't have that kind of hobby."

The Hero shrugged and took off his golden helmet, revealing a scraggly mess of silver hair and emerald green eyes.

"Well, you're missing out. What's the point of joining a mercenary company if you're not going to enjoy yourself?"

The Rogue kept a tight and polite smile on his face as he ignored the personal question. Instead, he brought the conversation back to their official business.

"I'll let the General know that you'll be preoccupied for a while."

"Hm?"

He gestured at Kotori, who was stiff and tense on the side.

She had been biting her lip uncomfortably as she listened to their entire conversation.

"You'll be keeping that one, I'm assuming?"

 

I'm stopping this scene here, although originally I had planned to write more. I wonder if people like longer chapters or shorter chapters? Anyhow, there's a lot of stuff going on, and I'm sorry if it's confusing. Maybe I'll think of some ways to re-write it more clearly in the future, although I'm aware it must be really confusing with the reader (and Kotori) unaware of the whole picture. Please let me know if there are ways I can continue to improve in the future!

Do you think most humans (on Earth) are fundamentally good or evil?
  • All humans are fundamentally good Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Most humans are fundamentally good Votes: 3 4.6%
  • A majority of humans are fundamentally good Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Half of of humans are fundamentally good and evil Votes: 12 18.5%
  • A majority of humans are fundamentally evil Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Most humans are fundamentally evil Votes: 6 9.2%
  • All humans are fundamentally evil Votes: 4 6.2%
  • I prefer not to answer this question Votes: 16 24.6%
Total voters: 65
15