Chapter 11: Towerstuff
110 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So the guy left. It looks like he is on one of those missions he was speaking about. Alright, let’s meet up with Leon, get my stuff and begin studying magic.

While thinking I leave the Tower. I wanted to meet up one last time with my family. To be completely honest here, I don’t hate them. They showed me something that was extinct in the 25th century. Familial love. The only reason that this feeling bore no fruit is that this concept had been destroyed in an early age on earth. You can’t accept something into you that never existed in the first place.

„Congratulations Son, let’s go home. Your mother is cooking a celebratory lunch,“ he says. Now that is a proposal I like. Food is always good.

„Were you two sure, that I could make it?“ I am taken aback by their confidence. Leon, I can understand, he is the type for it. The mother?, I don’t know, haven’t interacted with her that much.

„Of course! What a lot of people don’t know is, that one of my ancestors was a great mage. He also left something behind. That’s the thing I was talking about,“ the last part of the sentence is whispered. He is beaming with pride at the mentioning of this ancestor.

With that, he begins to silently lead the way home.

At home, the mother is already awaiting us.

I have to say the food she made was really good. It was some kind of porchetta, with mashed potato and some other side dishes.

After eating I leave with my father to go to the attic.

„Alright son, take it,“ he shoves an obsidian amulet into my hands. It has a smooth, metallic feel to it. It was barely the size of my palms, but heavier than it looks.

„Your great grandfather left this behind. Your grandfather nearly sold it, luckily, he didn’t. It was a rule that this amulet is to be given to the person who has a chance of becoming a mage. This means you. Me and your grandfather didn’t have the talent, but you do. So good luck,“ he says with emotion.

„I called a carriage, it will be here in 40 minutes, say bye to your brother and mother and get your things together.“ He says and left the room. He is as excited as in pain. The boy might not know it, but he got winds about the mortality rate of mage apprentices. It is no big secret around. Who wouldn’t notice it when so many kids went missing and never came back? But he also realized that if his son wants to become someone not to be stepped on than he has to take this path.

I carefully put my clothes, some textbooks, and something to write into my leather bag. The introductory box I put at the bottom. Honestly, it was heavier than expected and I was grateful for the carriage. I also count the money, which I overlook in the stash. There are three silver coins and seven bronze coins inside. The monetary system is simple. One gold coin is ten silver, one silver is ten copper.

While saying my farewells my mother stealthily gave me a gold coin. My father did the same. How funny, but I have to thank them. Don’t misunderstand me, I don’t care about them, but when I have the means, I will pay back the three gold coins they spend on me.

„Good day sir, where to?“ the coachman asks.

„To the tower, please,“ I say.

++++++++++++++++++++

After a twenty-minute ride, I hop off the wagon, and pay the coachman four copper coins.

Next, I go back to my room, stash away my clothes and put the box underneath my bed.

Then I sit up and take the booklet from the desk into my hand and begin reading.

‚First and foremost, congratulations for becoming an apprentice mage in The Order of the Black Shadow. Our Order is an affiliate of the Order of the Elements. This booklet explains everything you need to know about the organization. Your responsibilities and perks of becoming a part of the order.‘ I expected that much. Let’s continue.

‚The route of magic is not an easy one. The origin of this path comes from the blood. There are two kinds of wizards. One has a bloodline and the other does not. The difference is that the bloodline automatically summons and infuses the blood with magical particles. The normal ones have to do it themselves. Though the Bloodline gives certain advantages, but it also has major downsides. The normal wizards, which this booklet is written for, need to use a magic accumulation meditation technique. A basic one has been provided in this book. For different affinities, there are more specialized techniques, but for someone with a rare affinity, they have to do with unspecific techniques. If you haven’t been told your affinity at the aptitude test, then you have a rare affinity or special affinity.‘ having a look at the mentioned technique I notice some similarities with the mysterious meditation method I got from the magic book. It continues about spells. ‘chose your spells wisely, you soul, depending on your person, can support at the beginning 2 and at the peak of an apprentice usually 30 spells. This might sound a lot, but until the second stage, apprentices are very limited in the amount of mana they can use. They usually tire out after 3 or 4 spells. This of course depends on the spells itself. There are more and less complicated spells. For example a fireball. A fire type spell. Normally, an average apprentice can cast it four-time, then a spell-like minor teleport, which is a dimension type spell, can be cast barely once. It isn’t recommended for stage ones to go on missions.’ Neat that they write it like that, but then encourage us to take them because, without missions, we get no points at all.

It looks like the principle is similar, just that this one is about strengthening the blood. So the blood gets reinforced with the mana I have an affinity with. In most cases like mine, the specific mana is being fused before the infusion process. This gets done through the meditation method.

‚The contribution points are used for claiming the usage rights to laboratories and resources. These can be used in any of the Affiliated Towers. Most Towers are located in either a resource location or a mission side. The Tower in Osmor is situated in case of a skirmish or war with the League of shadow or an organization affiliated with the League. Wisdom point are only exchangeable in the tower where the apprentice is from. In case you need a book from another tower, you can request it through the arcane hall.‘ Useful information.

‚Every apprentice is rewarded with 10 Points of contribution and wisdom at entering the tower. Use them wisely, for some this is the only points they get for a while. A selection of beginner-friendly books is listed at the end.‘ Huh, most of them deal with meditation and magic knowledge. Some are spellbooks, which are expensive. Oh, there is also a dictionary for Gorlen. I suppose that’s the language. I need to continue reading the introductory book.

That is enough information for now. Let’s go to the arcane hall and have a look at the missions.

Thinking that, I leave my room, close it and head for the arcane hall.

The arcane hall feels like a bank. There were two dozen counters where apprentice help and register missions. In case of completion, they also reward them. On a big board is a listing with mission. What surprises me, is that it doesn’t seem to be constant, it changes. Some non-repeatable missions get crossed out and replaced, while repeatable ones are left. It feels like one of those huge displays at spaceports that shows the departure times.

Quickly searching through them I pick out the ones most useful for me. I leave all the combat missions out. I need to learn some spells before that. The three missions I chose are:

  1. Scribing scrolls. A very good one, in my opinion, I can earn some money and at the same time, I can learn some spells. Not free of charge, of course, I need to make 20 scrolls to get one free scroll, but it is a good beginning.
  2. Easy, but not many want to do it. On the plus side, I will get more familiar with the tower, but honestly, it is a waste of my time.
  3. Something I am good at. Again not a lot want to do it, It doesn’t train any kind of magical skill.

With the selection made I go back to my room for some meditation and sleep.

 

3