Chapter 12: The first conflict
112 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

First thing in the morning, I go to the dining hall to eat something. Surprisingly it is free. Only food which has been prepared with magical ingredients or magical meat cost money.

Having eaten enough, I go out of the tower and visit a shop called ‚magic morsels magical supplies‘.

The shop is situated in the commercial district. A two-story building with some popularity. It is a shop recommended by the booklet. With a distance of 7 minutes on foot, it is also situated close-by.

The building is built in a plain but functional style. Inside, there are different shelves with supplies. The most notable of those are different magic scrolls. The cheapest are prized at 7-8 copper, while the more expensive ones cost from silver to multiple gold coins. All of them are sadly only apprentice scrolls. Next to them are writing supplies, like quills and parchment. The magic-infused variety costs 5 copper per sheet. Very expensive.

A middle-aged man sat behind the counter. He asks: „Good sir, what can I help you with?“

While still looking around the shop I answer. „I am looking for empty non-magical parchments and some ink.“

The shop owner shows me where I can find what. Having gotten enough to copy 3-4 books, I add 10 magical parchments made out of a black goat. The most common material for magical scrolls. Also two vials of magic-infused ink.

 

With a bit of a heartache, I pay the man and put all of the supplies into my leather bag.

Then, after my short visit to the outside, I visit the library. This room is also made very classy. Bookshelves with the hight of ten or so meters are placed methodically in the library. It is also filled with all kinds of books. Funnily, at the front are mostly books about random subjects. Just so that the library has more books and looks more majestic. Every book has a different ‚prize‘. The three books, ‚Dictionary of Gorlen‘, ‚Magic theory for dummies‘ and ‚A deeper look into blood‘ cost 2, 1 and 3 points respectably and I can only have them for a day. Then I would have to lend them again.

„Good morning, I would like to rent out ‚Magic theory for dummies‘,“ I say to one of the Librarians. The section about the library in the booklet mentioned that to work in the library, one has to learn a spell which enables to fly small distances, only then can one work in the library.

„2 points, don’t damage it and you have time till tomorrow noon to return it. Please give me your badge.“ She says. Noticing my unwillingness to part with the badge, she explains.

„The badge is used for paying and receiving points, the guide should have explained that, whatever. Give it to me, I don’t have all day long.“ After her explanation, I give her, albeit still unwillingly, my badge.

She then proceeds to update my badge. When I receive it back, I don’t notice a thing. It looks like I need to begin the mage meditation technique.

Going back to my room I begin copying the book onto the parchments, I bought. I did ask whether I am allowed to do this and apparently it is a common practice.

+++++++++

After two days, and another lost wisdom point, I finish copying the whole book. While copying it I also summarize the main points.

There are three stages as a mage apprentice. The first and the second deal with the accumulation of energy inside the blood. This process simply means meditating, thus it shouldn’t be a problem. You can also use medicines and medications to improve the speed, but of course, those cost money, usually a lot more than apprentices can fork out.

The third stage is about accumulating more elements into the blood and at the same time, letting this energy permeate the body, thus reforming it into a vessel, with a better magic conductivity. The introductory book also said something about this, but I still need to learn Gorlen.

++++++++++++++++++

The feeling of meditating is different than the soul meditation method. But not by much. After an hour or two of trying I managed to accumulate some arcane particles into my blood. It is an arduous process. Like having my own small gravity and using it to entrap particles in the air, then use this particle to first combine them into special mana and then use it. Luckily, I don’t need a special technique for my special mana. When the different kinds of mana come into my body, they automatically combine into that mana. The fascinating aspect of it is that the ratio isn’t always the same. Sometimes different combinations come all together. Once, I saw a big accumulation of red mana transforming into the violet, special mana.

The strange feeling is equal parts wondrous and confusing. Wondrous, because it lets me sense the elements in a sense. Confusing, because it goes against everything I learned on earth about human biology.

Now I am also able to interact with items, through forming a connection with the elements. Now I know what the librarian meant with the amulet. Inside, it transmits my Data and my points. It is a type of ID. Now I also claimed it as my own. If someone were to steal it, he or she wouldn’t be able to make any use of it. But it is still expensive to get a replacement.

Finished with this, I make my way to the arcane hall again.

I am the next in line, when a commotion breaks out behind me.

„Apprentice leader Isaac is here, make way everyone,“ some kind of retainer of his shouts. Immediately, I notice some gazes into my direction. Nothing too new. I do get these sometimes. After all, people will be jealous of my talent.

„Hush, hush, we can come back later. I heard that he is a vengeful person,“ someone whispers.

„Don’t let him hear that, or you will be in trouble.“

„Yeah, better to come back later.“

I am already a bit too engrossed in deciding what I should do later to reach a higher efficiency in my stay here, unfortunately, I still don’t notice him right away when he appears before me. A lackey of his immediately begins shouting.

„You bastard, don’t you see Sir Isaac! Why aren’t you making way?“

„No need Lacks, just don’t forget your place newbie,“ Isaac says to me. What an asshat.

„Alright,“ I say. Staying curt. I don’t wish to offend anyone. What unfortunately doesn’t work out.

„Who do you think you are, not to apologize for wasting His time? Apologise!“ he said like I fucked his sister. Man, he isn’t big with logic. This shows that talent isn’t picky.

„Yes, yes, Sir Isaac, my fault,“ I say and leave hurriedly. I notice more gazes while leaving. Maybe I didn’t handle the situation as well as I could have. Mähh, the mild is spilt.

„Oh, he offended him, he’s dead,“ someone from the crowd says.

„Yeah, poor boy.“

++++++++++++++

Back in my room, I think back to the incident again. It seems like the first guy to make trouble appeared. It seems that some people don’t like what happened in my aptitude test. I can think of two reasons why this whole thing came to be. One, he is really brainlessly arrogant and second I that he is jealous and he has an objective for what happened.

First thing I do afterwards is to go out and buy two hooded robes. They should be useful, just in case.

A bit later I go back into the Arcane hall. I notice that some of the people are giving me unfriendly stares. Some downright glare at me with hostility.

„Huh, looks like he has a lot of influence, “I said more to myself than anyone. Surprisingly someone answers. I didn’t really expect that.

„Yes, that he has. A lot of people fawn over him, he has a rare and powerful affinity and is close to becoming an official mage,“ a person next to me says.

„I am Nelton by the way. Unofficial information broker.“ I take a better look at the person, he is tall looks like 15-16, he is suspiciously average. „If you need some info, then I have it. For a price of course.“

„Good to know. I am Osric, thanks for the info Nelton.“

After my little chat, I had accepted the mission to make magic scrolls from a receptionist, who didn’t look at me at all. Like I owed him money.  I will have to report to a guy called Ildrick in the morning.

Back at my room, go back to meditation. Nothing beats the feeling of getting stronger.

 

 

 

 

5