[Vol.1.GodsOfAnotherWorld]Ch.27.A New Age (vol.1.end)
2.8k 17 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While the incorporation of the Kobolds greatly facilitated construction work, and that of the orcs provided some soldiers and military information about the kingdoms of Lorenz and Urd, this also significantly increased food consumption.

In CO, troops have maintenance cost in gold, which is obtained from occupied cities and from looting other players. This was something that could not be compensated with real money.

At this world, Raven discovered that in addition to the wagons carrying the siege machinery and the resources for the construction of a castle, there were also several wagons carrying food supplies.

According to the calculations made by Nike, the current supplies would sustain Raven’s army for at least three weeks.

It was for this reason that one of Raven’s top priorities in construction was a pier. Getting fish from the sea and from the river itself were at the moment their best options.

However, that calculation when updated under current conditions, food supplies were just enough over to a week.

The Kobolds hunted small creatures in the forest and got fish from the river to feed themselves.

The Orcs hunted on the golden plains and looted caravans and human villages to feed themselves, the most daring of them plundered villages of lizard men or large human settlements.

Hunting would never meet the food needs of Raven’s army.

As for his plan to obtain fish from the sea, it did not seem that this plan could be carried out in time.

Fortunately, Raven had found a source of food before the problems of scarcity began to arise.

Thanks to Sernil, Raven knew that the elves not only had a good food supply, but also had some fields waiting to be harvested.

Having also heard from Sernil that a good number of elves had left the forest, Raven did not waste the motive that the elves had given him when attacking Freya, and just having his troops ready, marched to the village of the elves.

As the imposing army of humans emerged from the forest, the elves held their breath.

The red light of the evening fell on the beautiful silvery armor of humans, giving them an ominous bloodthirsty appearance.

It was not a few the elves who interpreted that as an omen about what was about to happen. In their minds, those silver armors would end up having their blood on them.

In an orderly fashion the soldiers adopted a formation of three lines. Soldiers with swords and shields on the first line, archers on the second line and on the third line were the horsemen.

As if that were not disturbing enough, a second group emerged from the forest.

The hearts of the elves stopped as they watched that, the second group was made up entirely of orcs.

The Orcs formed a parallel line to the first line of human soldiers. Almost immediately they began issuing their powerful roars of battle, causing the hearts of the elves to stagger.

While the elves were forced by fear to remain silent, the lines of human soldiers and orcs advanced and before any elf could react, they were completely surrounded in a perfect circle with the hall of virtues at the center.

"Don’t be hasty!" –observing that many of her people panicked, as they took anything at hand to use as a weapon, Erabel called for calm.

If the humans really wanted to kill them, then all that the humans had shown was unnecessary, it would have been enough to simply throw the riders against them to easily slaughter them. This was Erabel’s quick conclusion.

"It’s a surprise that you’re still here, I could have sworn you would have escaped with Libel by now."

While Erabel tried to imagine what the humans target was, her thoughts were interrupted by those mocking words.

"Sernil?"

Erabel was not the only one was caught by surprise, all the elves were shocked to see Sernil appear among the humans.

It was inevitable that more than one elf would question self whether that woman was really Sernil.

Sernil did not wear the characteristic green clothes of the forest guard, who were the pride of their members. Instead, Sernil was wearing a tight crimson outfit that highlighted the curves of his body.

Still, it was not the change of attire that which caused more doubt about Sernil’s identity, but her hair. Sernil’s formerly long hair, now barely reached the height of her shoulders.

Taking into account that the hair was considered by the elves as a link with the virtues, cutting it was considered a serious offense to the virtues.

In addition to the above, Erabel also noticed another change in Sernil. Earlier, in her comment and in naming Libel, Sernil did not show even a little of the respect that a subordinate should show to a superior.

"Sernil, which is what...?" – Erabel was unable to finish her question, completely lost her breath when she realized the presence of two unreal individuals beside Sernil.

The elves were incapable of believing what their eyes saw.

Riding on a beautiful white steed stood a young woman with blond hair and supernatural blue eyes. Her beauty completely surpassed Erabel´s beauty.

However, no one elf had the mind to question self whether it was really possible that such a beautiful human woman could exist. Their minds, hearts and souls were shaken by the mere presence of the other individual beside that woman.

Riding on an imposing black horse stood a young man of silvery hair, his eyes that were eerily cold had a supernatural silver color.

The very presence of that man was overwhelming, his very existence seemed completely foreign to this world.

"Nee-san…?" –Lucel observed how her older sister’s face had completely lost its color. Her pupils were completely contracted and her breathing seemed to have stopped.

Olivel, Erabel and every elf who was able to employ magic had received a much greater shock than the others. From those two individuals they could perceive a mana they had never felt before.

Regardless of the huge amount, the mana surrounding those two individuals could only be described as aggressive. It was as if that mana was made of the cutting edge of a million swords.

Erabel immediately understood why Jaal had called these beings gods. She was simply unable to understand their nature.

The only thing Erabel was sure of was that these two beings could not be considered human.

Erabel was not the only elf in whose mind, the word used by Jaal to describe these beings; ‘Rayl-Ar’, it became understandable.

"Sernil, that elf named Jaal is among these elves?"

Listening to that human of silver hair, the elves finally convinced themselves that he was real and not an illusion.

"No, Jaal is not among these elves, Raven-sama, but that woman is Erabel, who could also be regarded as one of the leaders."

Sernil responded to the Rayl-Ar with respect and devotion, her eyes were filled with a deep love that no one remembered seeing in her even when she looked at Libel.

"If you so desire, I will tear down every house in the village until I find Jaal for you, Raven-sama."

To the consternation of the elves, Sernil added that suggestion to her answer. It seemed that, if commanded, Sernil would not hesitate for a moment to kill her elf brethren.

"It is not necessary, for my purpose here, even she could be useful."

Erabel’s body shuddered as she felt targeted from the Rayl-Ar’s gaze.

"My name is Raven Magnus, son of the Eternal Winter and the Supreme Battle God. Since my arrival in this forest, I have been quite benevolent in not meddling in your small lives, even enduring your pathetic attempts at espionage. Elves, you have disregarded my kindness and you dared to raise your insignificant fists against me."

The cold and imposing voice of the Rayl-Ar caused the hearts of the elves to shrink.

"Be thankful elves, you have not yet completely exhausted my kindness, I have decided to forgive your insignificant lives" -inevitably the elves let a deep sigh of relief escape upon hearing that. "In return, I will take every grain of food you possess."

The elves' faces lost color, without the forest guards to hunt, and without their food reserves, there was no way they could survive the winter. There just weren’t enough of them to try to work the fields for the winter crops.

When the Rayl-Ar finished his words, the beautiful woman with blond hair raised her hand and immediately many soldiers scattered. Evidently, they went to the warehouses and fields of cultivation to carry out the sentence given by the Rayl-Ar.

"I’ve heard enough…!" – Rarpol who had been listening to everything from inside the hall of virtues finally stepped out with anger. However, all its value faded the moment he beheld the Rayl-Ar.

The shock of Rarpol was enough to cause his legs to lose all strength.

"Please wait, Rayl-Ar-sama!" –as Rarpol fell to his knees and stood still, Erabel made use of all the courage she could use to step forward. The fear she felt was insignificant with regard to her desire to protect her people. "If you take all our food, we won’t survive the harsh winter."

"Then consider yourselves lucky, you can choose between dying during the winter, or you can die here and now. Your food belongs to me, but your lives are yours. You must choose" –Raven had no idea about the reason, or meaning about to the manner Erabel referred to him. Although it was also not important, he was already getting used to being called on different names, Vanur, Elai-Akal…

The Rayl-Ar´s response muted Erabel. She would never have expected such a sharp and cruel response.

"If you really are a god, where are your virtues when you force women and children to starve?" –making use of all the value of his more than three hundred years of life, Rarpol made that question while his legs and hands did not stop shaking.

"It seems you, elves, are very good at judging others. To be beings claiming to praise the virtues, you are quite petty."

"W-we faithfully follow the five virtues, b-barbaric beings l-like y-you…"

Before Rarpol could finish his words, his mouth was closed by a strong punch.

Feeling that Rarpol would end up offending Raven, Sernil ran to him and at the right moment, she hit him hard to shut his mouth.

"Watch your tongue as you talk to Raven-sama!"

Erabel was stunned. A Sage was a figure of great importance among the elves, not even the rebel Vieri in Great Forest dared to harm the Sages.

However, here was Sernil who had not hesitated for a moment to hit Rarpol.

Though stunned by Sernil’s enormous change, who still bowed her head to the Sages in the morning, Erabel quickly came to Rarpol’s aid. The green Sage had been torn down by Sernil’s fist.

"You spoke about virtues, old man. I ask you elves, where is your righteousness when you swindle the Kobolds with low quality tools? Where is your humility when you arrogantly feel superior to other creatures? What's about your courage when you live hidden in this forest? Where was your empathy when you rejected the Kobold’s call for help? And where is your kindness when you choose to attack rather than dialogue?"

"T-the five virtues rule only over their followers…" -while helping Rarpol to stand up, Erabel responded with nervousness.

"I see, your beliefs are so insignificant that it only has power in this small, forgotten corner of the world."

Erabel was completely speechless. Despite her vast knowledge, she was unable to find an answer to those words.

"Hohoho. As Freya-sama said, you possess great wisdom, Rayl-Ar-sama."

Hardly able to stand, Jaal emerged from the hall of virtues with a faint smile on his pale face.

"Jaal-san, I suppose so."

"The oldest among the old, Rayl-Ar-sama."

Seeing the old man who had managed to obtain so much information from Freya, Raven showed a faint smile. The old man’s cunning aroused his curiosity.

"Is there something that someone as wise as you would disprove from my words?"

"Hohoho. It is an honor to be considered wise by you, Rayl-Ar-sama. As for your words, I could not agree more with you."

Jaal’s response was like a cold-water bucket in the middle of winter for the elves. Particularly Erabel was seriously dismayed, she has unable to understand why Jaal might agree with the Rayl-Ar.

"Since our arrival in the dark forest, I have seen my people twist the five virtues for their own benefit. Hohoho. Quite ironic indeed, we left our old home by not accepting the changes that other of our brothers had in mind, and yet we ended up making our own changes. We put aside the righteousness and with malice we scam the kind kobolds. We forget courage and with cowardice we hide from the world. Our empathy was put aside and selfishly seek our own benefit without caring about other creatures. We doubt about kindness of others and instead of dialogue we choose aggression."

All the elves without exception were dismayed, Jaal’s words led them to be ashamed of themselves. They inevitably looked down and remained silent.

"So, Jaal Autumn Leaf, from the options I gave to your people, which do you choose?"

"Rayl-Ar-sama has been very kind in allowing us to choose our own destiny" –Jaal was sincerely grateful on this subject. Even if the options were limited, the Rayl-Ar gave to them a chance to decide for themselves, left a little dignity to the elves. "If you don’t mind, Rayl-Ar-sama, we’ll take the third option."

In response to Jaal’s election, Raven showed a faint but noticeable smile.

The elves, including Erabel and Rarpol, all them exchanged glances of bewilderment. None of them understood what was happening, clearly the Rayl-Ar had only given them two choices.

"Finding someone so wise has made this trip here worthwhile. What about the rest of your people? Will they follow you in this election?"

"Hohoho. My people, though naive and proud, they are not foolish enough to choose death over life."

"I see, so it will be."

As the elves continued to fail to understand what was happening, Jaal fell to his knees as he coughed heavily.

"Jaal-sama!" –Erabel hurried toward Jaal.

Jaal’s health was bad, it could already be considered a miracle that he had been able to stand up and talk to the Rayl-Ar.

"Finally, I can go quietly…" – Jaal showed a big smile. The virtues and his ancestors had been merciful to give to him enough time to leave the world of the living without too much remorse.

"No, you are too interesting to be allowed to go so soon" –Raven extended the palm of his hand, and to the elves' surprise, a small but beautiful glass bottle appeared floating over his’ hand.

Raven took the little bottle and threw it at Sernil.

Sernil did not need orders, she immediately understood Raven’s intentions.

Faced with the worried eyes of the elves, Sernil approached Jaal and offered him the contents of that bottle.

Before Erabel could give his opinion on the matter, Jaal accepted Sernil’s offer. A thick, red liquid like blood went down Jaal’s throat.

Once the red liquid was consumed, the bottle in Sernil’s hands emitted a small sound of rupture and then turned to dust.

Despite how strange that bottle had been, since its appearance, its contents and its subsequent disappearance, the elves focused their eyes and concerns on Jaal.

Jaal’s body emitted a crimson glow, his skin regained its natural color and to the consternation of the elves, the old elf stood up.

Jaal was even more surprised than his people that his health had been restored. He had been totally resigned to leaving the world of the living, yet now he felt even as young as four hundred years ago.

Raven nodded with satisfaction; in fact, he was not quite sure that the potion would work.

As with Ulkar, Raven still needed Jaal, so he did not hesitate to use one of his potions. In addition, this was an opportunity to see the effects of CO potions in this world.

Specifically, that potion was called 'Battle Blood’, not only restore 70% of hp, it also added some ‘buffs’ that temporarily increased stats. It was after all, the most powerful potion in the game.

"Captain Teress, take care of the rest."

(Elves are good with bow, Teress Ambroce should be able to get along with them) –this had been Raven’s thinking to leaving Teress the matter of the elf thing. He hadn’t really thought about it too much and just took the first choice that came to his mind.

Jaal gave Raven a look of gratitude. He had obtained a second chance to begin to correct his mistakes, this time he would properly guide his people.

Having achieved his goal, Raven left accompanied by Nike and all the horsemen, leaving Teress, Sernil and the rest of the troops behind.

Although she had her doubts about it, Erabel was truly relieved to see that Jaal’s health had been completely restored.

"Jaal-sama, I don’t understand, I don’t remember being given a third option" –it without having to worry about Jaal’s health, Erabel focused on the agreement Jaal reach with the Rayl-Ar.

"Looks like you weren’t really as smart, Erabel."

Listening to Sernil’s comment, Erabel continued to have problems understanding her. What had happened to her that had changed so much in a few hours?

"It’s amazing that you’ve completely forgotten what respect is, Sernil Spring Leaf. That you are aware of the plans of these beings, does not give you the right to question our wisdom" –although he was as dismayed as Erabel about the change of Sernil, Rarpol was upset by the blow he had received, his words were full of irritation.

"I have simply opened my eyes, my respect belongs only to Raven-sama, Freya-sama and Nike-sama. There is nothing greater and more perfect in this world than they. Besides, don’t get confused, old man, someone like me is simply unworthy knowing Raven-sama’s grand plans. I simply interpreted Raven-sama’s wise words, just as old Jaal did. Finally, from today, no one should refer to me Sernil Spring Leaf, I have abandoned that name along with the rest of my hair. I am now Sernil Fan, Raven-sama’s faithful servant."

Rarpol was speechless just as Erabel was, Sernil's change was much deeper than they could have imagined.

"Hohoho. It seems the Rayl-Ars have touched your soul, Sernil Fan."

"My heart, my soul, my body, my life and all my being belong entirely to them" –Sernil’s eyes shone with absolute devotion, showing that her words were not lies.

"Hohoho. Your devotion is truly admirable" –although Sernil’s change was intriguing, considering the power of the Rayl-Ars, Jaal did not wish to delve too deeply into the subject. A wise man kept his eyes away from smoke, his ears away from treacherous mouths and his hands away from ashes that still held the heat of fire. "As for your question Erabel, Rayl-Ar-sama’s third choice gave us was to follow the example of kobolds and orcs."

Erabel remembered the Rayl-Ar´s words and her eyes opened with surprise.

"Your food belongs to me, but your lives are yours. You must choose" –in these words the Rayl-Ar had given they a third option, to offer him their lives and serve him as the Kobold and Orcs had done.

"My name is Teress Ambroce, Captain of Raven-sama’s archery troops. I have been tasked with overseeing your transfer to our camp. Take everything you need from your homes and do not worry about the weight, we will give you the necessary help" –with a powerful calm and imposing voice, Teress addressed those words to all the elves.

Listening to that, Erabel interrupted her thoughts to see who was responsible for those words.

That woman was the same woman who had previously escorted Jaal. The beautiful violet bow she had held before was no longer in her hands, yet the aura she projected remained the same.

Erabel flinched slightly, that kind of aura of someone who had reached the peak of ability with the bow, was something she had only felt in her father.

As if that were not enough, in the violet eyes of that woman, Erabel saw the same tranquility and pride that imposed her father’s gaze.

Even as the night began, the elves obeyed Teress’s instructions and began their journey to the human camp.

The fact that the dreaded dark forest fell entirely into the hands of an unknown force passed completely unnoticed by the rest of the world.

It was truly the beginning of a new age for the gray elves of the dark forest. For the first time, the proud elves had submitted to another species, or rather to beings that did not belong to this world.

The changes that this event would bring upon the world were still to be seen.

However, the world did not stop for this event.

Far south of dark forest, a large army marched south.

After several months of tension, the war between the nobles for the throne of Urd had finally begun.

With the first winds of winter a new age was coming, an age of blood, fire and.... conquest!

With this chapter ends the first volume ( I not count the extra chapters) I apologize for the many errors, English it's not my native language. I also want to thank all those who helped me correct my errors. Many thanks to Ultimaterror, Askold, SupahHamster, GhostKiller and rottencleric..

41