Ch. 6 – The Appointment Ceremony
112 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Receiving Hall of Gossamer Castle seemed to me like a village onto itself.

 

It was massive. Pale, marble floors stretched forward from where we stood, traveling perhaps a thousand feet before reaching the other side. It was at least a fourth of that size wide, and the whole area was encased by ornate stone walls that climbed high up to the vaulted ceilings that were roughly two hundred feet overhead. Those too, were practically a world away. Looking up, I gasped. I felt infinitesimally small, dwarfed by the immensity of the clear-glass grandeur that revealed the late afternoon sky. I couldn’t conceive of any way this could be constructed other than magic.

 

I’d been wrong to think it was lit by torchlight, though there were indeed torches. But the glow that I’d seen had come from the afternoon sun, striking the silver borders of the walls near the see-through ceiling and basking the hall in the reflected light. It gave the place an otherworldly charm that wasn’t unpleasant.

 

Rows of huge doorways lined each wall spaced at lengthy intervals, and each opening was wedged between a pair of sconces. The torches resting in them were not yet lit, but I imagined the hall would take on an even more magical presence once the sun went down and they were ignited.

 

The Receiving Hall, to my reckoning, could have comfortably fit a battalion of soldiers, and in fact, the group of hopefuls that currently stood awaiting instruction only filled a comparatively small section. Most milled around, speaking to one another, or stood in stoic patience. I could see some that had come together, perhaps members of noble houses there to champion for their section of the realm. A group of humorless-looking soldiers stood, perfectly still pictures of valor in their silver armor and green and gray helmet plumes. They assembled around a woman in dazzling white armor.

 

There were others who stood out to me as well, a tall and burly man with crudely cut orange-red hair leaned against the far wall. He wore hardly any armor, his chest bare save for a leather bandolier strapped across his torso and a multitude of belts and pouches hanging from his waist. A boy who couldn’t have been older than ten stood, wide eyed at the splendor of the place, his blond hair cut in a pageboy fashion. He stood next to an old woman with piercing gray eyes who carried a gnarled staff and kept speaking in whispered tones to the child. Right next to the platform crept a black clad figure, short, with a darker complexion. I couldn’t see their features, as they were hidden beneath the cowl of their hooded cloak. I drew my attention to the rest of the hall, and sighed, perhaps too audibly.

 

Perhaps, the most noticeable features of the hall were the six gargantuan doorways on the opposite side. Each were as tall as a two-story building, and were wide enough to fit ten horses side by side. The passages beyond were dark, a contrast to the joyfully lit room we all occupied. They were carved into the stone of the walls long ago, that was clear by its design. They had been crafted with the twisting pillars and chipped facade of the First Lords, the humans who had come to the realm almost a millenia ago. They were somewhat famous for their strange practices of creating beautiful works of art, and then marring or damaging them for the sake of it.

 

Next to the six doorways was a crumbled structure, and it looked to me as though it had been one of the passages at one time. However, now it was a ruin, and rocks and debris covered the gap that likely held a pathway long before.

 

Another fifty paces in front of the doorways, where some of the Adventurers had begun to congregate was a raised platform. A huge stone archway sat atop it, carved in the same peculiar manner as the entryways. It almost appeared like an incomplete work. The top portions did not meet, and an intentional gap was left in the center. The bookended caps of the arch were fashioned to look like menacing dragon heads, the stone eyes blank, but still staring at those before them. They two had been gouged by a sculptor’s chisel, and I wasn’t sure why, but it made me feel sad.

 

Six figures stood on this platform, all wearing similar flowing robes to the Herald, though theirs had cavernous hoods pulled up to obscure their features. They didn’t move, standing in waiting as they were joined by a seventh figure. The Herald made his way up the stone stairs on the right-hand side of the platform, and stood dead center, waiting.

 

Father and I moved forward, and I could feel Waldo’s presence nearby as well. I didn’t think we’d be so lucky to lose him right away. The entire group moved en masse toward the platform and the waiting Royal retinue.

 

It took a few minutes, but eventually, the crowd had formed a rough semicircle in front of the arch, and there was a hush as the Herald began to speak again.

 

“This is the Harbinger Arch,” he said, lifting the golden dagger again, “and it is the oldest artifact in Ingvald. Adonis the First discovered it, and it became the very source of his power. With it, he was able to command the magic of this land, and begin the creation of the Kingdom of Cygnus. Around this ancient and powerful monument to the First Lords, the city was formed, and then, the remainder of the realm. Adonis’ sons and daughters took up his mantle and expanded the territory, using the might of this very relic.”

 

The Herald turned his back to us, and I could see that he looked very gaunt and tired, as if it took quite a bit of strength just to move. Despite his age, he had the bearing of someone much older. He slowly made his way to the right most pillar of the arch, and I could see him slip the blade of the dagger into the stone. There was an awed silence for a moment, and then a loud whooshing noise. Suddenly, the empty space between the two halves of the arch sprang to life. A magical, warped energy filled the void. It was vibrantly swirling hues of green, yellow, violet and blue. The colors swam against one another, collided and sprang back in different mixes. It was a beautiful, transfixing show.

 

I smiled and looked over at Father. His serious gaze wasn’t on the arch, but on one of the six hooded individuals on the platform. The figure withdrew a heavy, white scroll, bound with a red seal and began to walk toward the Herald. Father finally looked back at me, and winked, letting me know everything was alright. I realized I had tensed up, as I always did when Father was focused. He was always sensitive to any oddity or movement, and I had relied on that for so long that I wasn’t even aware of the effect it had on me. I relaxed, and watched as the Herald broke the seal and unrolled the document before him.

 

“The Harbinger Arch is all-knowing, and does not falter. For countless generations it has guided the Royal Family,” the Herald continued, “it was from this Arch that the first Heroes were wrought. Adonis the First used this to select his finest warriors. Over time, as the number of Heroes grew, the Arch helped select not only the Heroes, but also their station.”

 

I swallowed a lump in my throat.

 

So this is what we were summoned for.

 

“When I call your name, you will step up and enter the Harbinger Arch,” the Herald said motioning to the glowing gateway, “using the ancient magic of the First Lords, it will assess your qualities, including your Adventure Class and your level of accomplishment.”

 

Waldo chuckled, and I realized that he was right next to me.

 

“Can’t wait to blow everyone’s minds when they see my level,” the Ilfin said, and smirked at me, rearranging the scarf around his neck, “we Ilfin are naturally more adept with magic.”

 

I shrugged.

 

“I’m only half,” I said.

 

“Better than none,” he said, and then turned his focus to the platform once more.

 

“Afterward,” the Herald continued, “the Harbinger Arch will judge which doorway you will enter, and into which Nightsign contract you will take. These Nightsigns, as you know, are charged with the protection of different cities and provinces of the realm.” With these words, the massive doorways began to faintly glow. I could see torches inside their passages that had suddenly come to life. Above their frames, different colored symbols.

 

“Virgo,” the Herald said, indicating the first doorway, “Warden of the Amethyst Province, premiere in the city of Gilliam .” As he said this there were a few cheers from some of the crowd, and I knew it was likely that those that had spoken up were from that region. The sigil above the doorway was purple, and depicted a dragon with a blooming orchid.

 

“Sagittarius, Warden of the Citrine Province, premiere in the city of Alsbarl.” This doorway flashed golden yellow, and showed a falcon and a bow drawing an arrow.

 

“Scorpius, Warden of the Onyx Province, premiere in the city of Zerxes.” The third doorway in the line was a black scorpion with a sword.

 

“Capricorn,” the Herald said, and with these words, the group of silver soldiers exploded with cheers. It was surprising not just because of its magnitude, but because of how silent they’d been since their arrival. Each announcement had garnered calls from the group, but this one had been the most intense so far. The Herald waited for them to die down before continuing.

 

“Capricorn, the Warden of the Jade Province, premiere in the city of Victrix.” This doorway had a pale green animal with the head and upper body of a goat, and the lower body of a fish that I believed to be called a seagoat. It stood over a field of waving lines that resembled a river.

 

“Libra,” the Herald said, “Warden of the Lapis Province, premiere in the city of Helvetia.” A set of blue weighing scales with a serpent worked around the stand hovered above the fifth doorway.

 

The Herald smiled widely before announcing the final gate, and it was the first time I noticed anything resembling emotion from him.

 

“Aries, Warden of the Garnet and unincorporated Provinces, premiere of the city of Ingvald.” The roar of applause following these words filled the hall.

 

Wonderful.

 

As he finished speaking, the Herald nodded to the six figures on the platform with him, and one by one, they left by way of the stairs and moved toward the doorways. Each chose a different one and disappeared into their depths. Once they were gone, each symbol above the doorways faded and the Herald spoke again.

 

“I will now read the names inscribed in the scroll. Once you are Appointed, you will make your way down the appropriately lit passage. If more than one doorway lights up, you can select the one you prefer. If none light up, you will have been found wanting, and be dismissed.”

 

What? You could be summoned here and still not be placed? That didn’t seem very fair.

 

“One more thing,” the Herald said, his tone and gaze serious, “if you have arrived with spectators, they may not come with you. Only those Appointed may continue beyond this point.”

 

I looked at Father, but once again, he was paying me not mind as he studied the different passages very carefully. What would happen if we were Appointed to different Nightsigns?

 

I didn’t like the thought of that, and pushed it away. Better to cross that bridge once we come to it.

 

“Bastian Laurent.”

 

A man moved from a cluster of people near the front. He was tall and strong looking, perhaps a year or two older than me, with short, spikey silver hair. He wore an elegant outfit that looked to my uncultured eyes as though it were very expensive. He nodded to the Herald and stepped into the center of the Harbinger Arch. He glanced up at the menacing structure cautiously, and I watched as it reacted to him.

 

At once, a magical display appeared above, large enough to see anywhere in the hall.

 


Bastian Laurent

Adventure Class: Shepherd Knight

Level: 2


 

Shepherd Knight? That sounds both prestigious and lofty.

 

After a moment, the passageway to Aries lit up red, and Bastian smiled, leaving the platform and entering the long corridor.

 

“Zall Picador.”

 

I watched as the orange haired man in the leathers righted himself from his leaning position, and made his way to the Arch. He had an aloof nature, and didn’t even acknowledge the Herald as he confidently strode to the Arch and deposited himself dead center.


 

Zall Picador

Adventure Class: Emblem Seeker

Level: 3


 

The entrance to Libra began to glow blue, and he soon disappeared beneath the scale and serpent.

 

“Yulger Eier.”

 

A mousey man in what appeared to be his early forties approached the Arch. He looked nervous and kept glancing at the arch and at the Herald.

 


Yulger Eier

Adventure Class: Shock Visser

Level: 1


 

Nothing happened. After a moment, when no pathway had still lit up, the Herald spoke.

 

“Yulger Eier, you have been dismissed.”

 

A look of pure shame spread across the man’s face, and he dropped his head and slowly left the platform. He rejoined the crowd below and those around him took a few steps away, as if they were afraid they were going to catch whatever evil had betrayed him.

 

He still has to stand here with everyone else after being dismissed? That’s torture.

 

I did not like the theatrics on display. This seemed like a perfectly unnecessary ceremony to me and I shook my head.

 

“Gaius Artemis.”

 

There was a shuffle from the silver soldiers, and a red haired warrior emerged, marching forward with confidence. He bowed to the Herald and removed his plumed helmet. Then he stepped forward and activated the Harbinger Arch.

 

Gaius Artemis

Adventure Class: Magebreaker

Level: 4

 

The green symbol of Capricorn lit up. The soldiers applauded and hollered, showing their support for the young man from their ranks. As Gaius left the platform I could see the same Capricorn symbol, albeit with a small crown beneath, was emblazoned on the man’s seafoam cape.

 

Once he was gone, the Herald summoned another.

 

“Helene Artemis.”

 

Suddenly, the same silver soldiers quieted, and formed two perfectly straight lines, and the white-armored woman I’d seen before, began walking marching between the two rows toward the platform. She had the same cape as the man before her, a Sea Goat over a green field. She was remarkably sure, I could see even from my position farther back, her stride was measured and controlled. Her hair was a pale blue, and was pulled up and back. I paused as I saw her ears.

 

“Yep,” Waldo said, sounding please, “she’s one of ours.”

 

I didn’t want to admit it to the strange boy, but there was something gratifying about seeing someone in such a position of esteem and authority sharing my ancestry. No one had ever treated me with such reverence, and a part of me felt as though it was because I was a “curse blood”.

 

Helene gave the slightest nod to the Herald, who returned it, and entered the Harbinger Arch.


 

Helene Artemis

Adventure Class: Thousand Canceler

Level: 4


 

Thousand Canceler? That’s… strange. I briefly considered it may have been a misspelling of ‘chancellor’, but that didn’t make sense either. Though, the idea of an ancient and mysterious relic making a spelling error did make me smile.

 

I turned my attention to the Capricorn doorway. Some must have confidence in the path they take. It also made me wonder how well this ceremony was known to the aristocracy. They seemed to have insight into it that I did not. Father and I had no idea what to expect going in.

 

However, Capricorn didn’t light up. In fact, it was the blue emblem that ignited suddenly, the shimmering scale and serpent of Libra. There was a stunned murmur from the soldiers. Helene herself seemed just as shocked. Her eyes were wide and she kept looking back and forth from the Capricorn passage to the Libra. Then she looked at the Herald for clarification, but he just nodded, and swept an arm to the Libra entrance, as if to imply she had to carry on. The noises from the soldiers grew angry.

 

“What?!” Someone yelled, “That can’t be right!”

 

“No, she’s a true Jade!” Yelled another.

 

“Silence,” the Herald said simply, quieting the discontent. He hadn’t yelled, but his tone was firm.

 

“The Harbinger Arch has judged Helene Artemis. This decision is absolute. You may choose to leave, but if you wish to continue, you must use the passage that it has chosen.”

 

The group quieted down, but there was still an unruly vibe. Their faces were angry and confused. They whispered to one another and shook their heads. Helene, composing herself, nodded to the Herald, then to the group of soldiers and left the platform, before making her way down the Libra passage.

 

As the ceremony continued, I watched as the sky above us faded from late afternoon to evening. Dozens of others were appointed and dismissed in this time. It seemed that more than half of the crowd were actually only spectators and well-wishers, and the actual amount of guests to the event was much smaller.

 

Finally, after some time, it was our turn.

 

“Alder Carthage,” the Herald said, and his eyes left the scroll and for the first time, focused right on the spot where my father stood. That was strange to me.

 

Does he know Father?

 

My father held his gaze, then turned to me and winked.

 

“May as well see this part through, Hutch,” he put his hand on my shoulder, “I’ll see you on the other side, son.”

 

As Father moved toward the platform, people began to whisper. He definitely didn’t look like a Hero. He wore his carpenter smock over his travel clothes, and his pinned hat was faded and worn. A heard a few chuckles as he passed by others and it made me angry. My Father could defeat any of them if he chose to. He was the most powerful man in the Berrywood.

 

As Father made his way toward the Arch, he nodded to the Herald, who nodded back. I wasn’t sure, but it seemed like there was a smirk playing at the lips of the King’s Voice. Father placed himself in the center of the Arch like the others and the image above revealed him to the group.

 


Alder Carthage

Adventure Class: Giant Slayer

Level: 10


 

There was a shocked gasp among those gathered, and people began speaking in excited tones. That was the highest level for an Adventure Class that had registered yet. Before Father, the two members of the Artemis family had held that title with an impressive four each.

 

Then, more shock, and people began to applaud. Every single passageway had suddenly lit up. All six emblems burned with magical light, and it was as though a beacon had been activated. People began to cheer, and my heart soared, Father was truly amazing. I’d always known he was an impressive man, but now the world was starting to get a picture of that as well.

 

Father’s eyes found me, and he nodded at me, with a wry smile. However, most bewildering to me was the Herald’s reaction. He was beaming at my Father, his smile wide and toothy. He and Father shared another look as he passed, and the cheers and whistles and applause continued as Alder of the Berrywood made his way to the gateways. However, he didn’t pause, he moved smoothly toward the glowing blue of the Libra passage, and disappeared into its depths.

 

“Quite an impressive man, that Father of yours,” Waldo said, “I can only imagine how well you’ll do seeing as you’re part Ilfin. We are a chosen lot.”

 

I was too nervous to respond, and once the noise had finally died down, the Herald lifted the scroll and read the next name.

 

“Hutch Carthage.”

 

All heads turned to face me. I gulped the lump in my throat again and slowly began to move forward, through the crowd. Every eye I met looked expectantly at me. I could see people whispering to each other.

 

“Is that his son?”

 

“He’s part Ilfin.”

 

I passed the young boy and the old woman, neither had been called upon yet, but both studied me seriously.

 

I reached the platform and ascended the stairs. I was keenly aware of the awkwardness of my own walk in front of such a large amount of people. I felt almost naked, crossing the raised threshold. I tried to push it from my mind and focused on the Arch. The Herald eyed me suspiciously, almost looking amused, but I didn’t keep his gaze.

 

I looked up at the towering archway, and felt like I might faint. As I passed into the center, it felt as though a warm breeze was circulating around me. It wasn’t at all what I expected. After a moment, I heard the same whooshing sound that had announced everyone else’s appointment, and I glanced up the message in the air.

 


Hutch Carthage

Adventure Class: Giant Eater

Level: 0


 

My heart fell.

 

I was level zero? But, everything that we’d gone through in the last year…

 

The crowd seemed almost as shocked as me, but the hiss of their surprise seemed angry, as if they’d been tricked. I sighed. Hopefully I would be able to take the same passage as Father. I didn’t want to have to be separated from him. He was the only family I had left. I heard a sort of grumbling, grinding sound behind me.

 

It’s time.

But, turning to the passages, I froze.

 

No, no, no, no. This has to be a mistake.

 

Each gateway was completely dark. I kept scanning their length, hoping it was a delay or a mistake. My eyes even found the crumbled ruin and I couldn’t help but feel like I belonged there, under all that rubble.

 

“Hutch Carthage,” the Herald said, and his voice seemed disappointed, and as I looked at him, his brow was furrowed, and his mouth a frown, “you have been dismissed.”

2