Ch. 19 – The Other Commanders
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Hutch disappeared into the Labyrinth, Waldo heard footsteps approaching their group gathered on the mezzanine. He turned, and saw four elaborately dressed individuals moving forward. They looked as though-- to Waldo, that they were striding with purpose. They were clustered rather closely together, and the Ilfin observed them with a curiosity that rivaled that for the goings-on inside the maze below.

 

One of the two in the middle of the group was a man with a dark complexion and hair like the pink petals of an azalea, dressed in a thin-seeming mesh of silver metal, and a black cape that spilled to the floor. Each of his ears held a silver ring that hung low from his lobes, and several colorful feathers dangled from them. His placid face was very handsome-- something Waldo knew would likely make the women fawn over him, and he regarded the area around him with a calm gaze, his irises a noticeably vibrant blue.

 

Next to him was a tall woman in black leather, a mane of curly blue hair pushed back from her forehead by a wondrous blackened steel guard. She bore a knowing smirk on her face, and stalked forward as though on the hunt. Hanging loosely-tied from her neck was a crimson kerchief, the depiction of a rams head emblazoned on it. She carried a pair of red-handled swords, one on each hip, with glittering rubies pressed into the pommels.

 

A man, as gray of hair as he was massive of frame stepped along their left flank, light on his feet despite his immense size. A big bear of a brute to Waldo’s eyes, he seemed rugged, as though he spent a great deal of time sleeping in ravines. He was garbed in a yellow shirt beneath a weather-worn brown leather jerkin. His hair was shaggy, longer in the back than in the front, but crept down, along his face, joining a bristly gray moustache that he absently stroked, thick, leather hawking gloves encasing his hands. Waldo could see a huge, nearly six-foot club strapped to his back, the knobbed end of it forged with steel.

 

The final member of their group made Waldo’s heart stop. She was a divinely beautiful woman in a lilac frock, ash-brown hair gathered in two separate holds on the side of her head, bound each by a golden bauble. Her eyes enchanted the Ilfin, each radiant, and strange--no unique, thought Waldo-- pale, almost white. This matched the glimmering runic tattoo she proudly displayed on her forehead; two arcs congruent with two horizontal lines each. But this was nothing beside her best feature: two long, elegant Ilfin ears. She had a kind manner about her, and Waldo knew that she was half-Ilfin, at best, but he didn’t care; she was the most flawless creature that he’d ever encounter in all his life.

 

Each of them in bizarre contrast to one another, draped in a motley of colorful garb and styles. However, despite their differences in appearance, they were unified in the fact that each held themselves with the same bearing. They were all commanders.

 

The big one raised a meaty hand in greeting to Luciferi, and the group assembled near her.

 

“Lucy!” he boomed, his manner friendly, and he drew his mouth into a wide, toothy smile, “we thought you’d gotten lost!”

 

“Or thought you’d run away,” the blue haired woman in black said, her voice rough as though used to yelling, “scared of the results.”

 

Luciferi straightened her posture, and placed her hands on her hips.

 

“What would I have to be afraid of, Ryz?” she asked, “there aren’t enough pips in Cygnus to keep me away from wiping the floor with all of you--again.”

 

The woman chuckled, and then smashed a fist into her palm.

 

“Care to put some coin on it?” she asked, grinding her fist gleefully, “I already bet Randolf ten silver that he wouldn’t get a single new member this go around.”

 

The pink haired man smiled warmly, nodding, the feathered earrings jingling as he did.

 

“I’m not one for wagers, typically,” he said, his voice as smooth as his bearing “but Ryz was so insistent.”

 

“Ten silver?” the big man bellowed, slapping the blue haired woman on the back, “isn’t that a whole month’s stipend for you Archies?”

 

Ryz’s face went red, and Waldo could tell she was about to explode, and winced.

 

“I don’t know what sort of slave wages you’re paying your Archcommanders in Saggittarius,” she shot back, “but I can certainly afford that measly sum!”

 

“Easy, there, Leto,” Luciferi said with a grin, “you know Ryz probably gets a couple extra copper at least for doing all her commander’s dirty work for him. Where is that useless brother of mine, anyway?”

 

Ryz was boiling, she glared at the Libra Commander.

 

“Lord Commander Zephyr is currently en route to capture the brigands that assaulted the King’s Valley,” she declared, “so I’m here in his stead. Perhaps if the rest of you cared more about keeping the realm safe over these irritating Challenges, you’d be out there as well.”

 

“Oh, come now, Ryz,” Leto said, “there’s no need for that, we were only giving you a hard time. Besides, with Luxor out there, we don’t need to worry. He’ll handle it.

 

Waldo cursed his luck. Just when he’d loaned out his precious Talisman, powerful Heroes had appeared. He found the whole interaction absolutely delightful. Jocular ribbing among comrades, that was exactly the sort of behavior he had hoped for when he came to the capital. However, he was hoping to have seen a bit of the half-Ilfin woman’s personality. She’d been quiet while the others had been bickering.

 

He’d have loved to size them up, but alas, he’d just have to do it the old fashioned way…

 

Time to put on the old Oleander charm.

 

“Who are your friends, Commander?” he asked, approaching the commanders with a cavalier wave in their direction.

 

Luciferi shot daggers back at the Ilfin boy, and held her palm up.

 

“Novice Oleander,” she warned, “you will not speak your fool words in front of my fellows.”

 

“But Commander,” Waldo said, taking a few brave steps toward the group, “if my words are foolish, it is because they are true and from my heart and soul. I’d never design to disrespect you in front of such lustrous company.”

 

Luciferi scowled.

 

“Why are you speaking like that?” she demanded, “stop that. You’re being strange.”

 

“Why, Commander,” Waldo said, his eyes suddenly finding the Ilfin woman with white eyes, “your own words are like shards to my dignity. I do not control the poetry that tumbles forth from my lips any more than you can control that tempestuous mood you bear. I am--”

 

“You are done speaking,” Luciferi said, and gripped the empty scabbard at her side tightly. Waldo immediately stopped in his tracks.

 

“As you wish, Commander,” he said.

 

Luciferi regarded him coldly for another moment, and then turned back to the group.

 

“Newbies,” she said, exasperatedly, and the others began laughing.

 

Waldo was a little crestfallen, but he wouldn’t be so easily dissuaded.

 

The white-eyed Ilfin turned then to him, and smiled.

 

Eluva da daiasi,” she said, and her voice had a musical tone that quickened Waldo’s heart, “you passed the Challenge very quickly.”

 

Retta daiasi,” Waldo returned, hurriedly, “and yes, I suppose I did…”

 

Alright, Waldo old boy, let’s dazzle this beautiful goddess.

 

“It wasn’t very difficult for me, I’m Ilfin of course, and something like that is far beneath--”

 

“Well, aren’t you an arrogant little one,” Ryz interrupted, smirking, “full of confidence to your adequate showing.”

 

Adequate? Waldo wondered, I’d dare say it was splendid!

 

“Now that other man--what was his name-- the Carthage?” Ryz continued, “now he’s someone to watch. And so handsome!”

 

Waldo felt a bit deflated, and attempted to rescue his self esteem.

 

“Ah yes, Alder Carthage is--”

 

“Strong too!” Leto exclaimed, “I haven’t seen many that could deal with the Third Trial so well. I’d like to arm wrestle him!”

 

“I’d like to wrestle something else,” Ryz said, smiling devilishly, “did you see that stoic way he handled those Belua? Creator above!

 

“He’s assuredly the best of the lot this year,” Randolf stated, “it’s a shame. He’d have made an excellent addition to Scorpius.”

 

“Wasn’t he the one who lit up all the Nightsigns?” Leto asked, “to think, he could have chosen any of us! I’ll bet it was a close call between Luciferi’s team and my own.”

 

“You’re talking out of your ass again, Leto,” Ryz announced, “why the hell would he choose to go off with your mangy lot. A man like that isn’t crazy enough to join up with a Nightsign that spends all their time sleeping on the ground and picking ticks out of their hair.

 

“We don’t sleep on the ground…” Leto said with a booming guffaw, “well, not all the time anyways. I’m sure Carthage chose Libra to wear the same mantle as his father.”

 

“Alright, alright,” Luciferi dismissed, waving her hands in the air, “would you all stop coveting my star recruit? He chose who he chose, and fortunately for him, he happened to choose the best one.”

Waldo was feeling positively ignored. It seemed he wouldn’t be able to get a word in edgewise while the group was still discussing Hutch’s father.

 

“Was that his son that just entered the Labyrinth?” Ryz asked, flicking her chin toward the maze below.

 

“Yes,” Luciferi said with a sigh, “and those two could not be more opposite. The kid seems earnest, but he wasn’t even chosen by the Harbinger Arch. He wouldn’t be here if he hadn’t saved my little brother’s skin.”

 

“That is unfortunate,” Randol said, “but, to think that two Carthage’s would be joining up at the same time-- a father and son no less, it is quite remarkable.”

 

“Remarkable is a word for it,” Luciferi said, “I would call it bothersome. Between him, and the silver-tongued Ilfin over here, I’ve got my hands full.”

 

Waldo smiled.

 

“Don’t you worry about me, Commander,” he said, “I will only endeavor to improve the esteem of the already illustrious Nightsign Libra.”

 

“You could improve it by jumping off that ledge headfirst into the maze,” Luciferi shot back.

 

“Luciferi,” the white-eyed Ilfin woman suddenly said, “you shouldn’t disparage him so. What will he think of a commander that speaks so freely of abuse?”

 

Everyone grew quiet for a moment, and while it hadn’t bothered Waldo to hear her say such things--he’d been hearing similar sentiments his whole life-- he did think it interesting that the Ilfin woman’s words carried such weight. He also couldn’t help but feel a flush as he realized she’d just defended him.

 

She’s in love with me. He thought to himself.

 

Rather than spoil the moment by speaking and giving Luciferi something to direct her anger at, Waldo turned to look out at the maze. He couldn’t see Hutch, but he had a feeling he’d be just fine. He didn’t believe his story was over just yet.

 

---

 

I froze.

 

I’d only been inside the Labyrinth for a few minutes, and hadn’t encountered anything yet. But as I’d rounded a corner, I came face to face with dread. Three snarling Belua had appeared in the path ahead of me. Without faces, the sounds they were emitting chilled my blood. They moved in a terrifyingly jerky way, their heads cocking to the side as they shambled toward me. I loosed the rope around my torso and grasped the climbing hook, my sole weapon.

 

This is it. Time to show them what you’re made of, Hutch.

 

But, just as I began preparing to enter into combat with the beasts, I heard more, louder snarling. From around the corner the creatures had just emerged from, five more Belua came into view, each moving in the same threatening jerk. Instantly, they all moved at once, converging on me en masse. My heart pounded in my chest, and I tightened my grip on the hook.

 

Suddenly, the entire group of them leaped into the air and I could see that each of their impossibly long, outstretched fingers ended in razor sharp claws.

 

“Ah, shit,” I said.

1