Chapter 1: A Meta-human and Adventurers
906 16 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We've been tracking a fearsome beast that has already slain many knights. A rare S rank monster that can chew through adamant plating.

A man was knelt over examining some droppings. The man had short brown hair. He had a square, stern face with brown eyes. The man had a rough stubble, being out in the woods didn't give us many chances to shave lately. The man wore white dragon scale armor. The armor uses the natural cold resistance of that dragon so it can use other enchantments for defense. He had a bow made from angel cedar in hand with an arming sword made from Mythril at his waist.

"Tallen, are we on the right track?" I ask the man

"Yes, it's been here not three hours ago. It headed east, but we must hurry"

"I take it there's something else?" Another man, Kaithe, asked. This man had a gnarled staff made with Eldar ash. He wore enchanted black robes meant to resist attacks. The robes were made from the silk of a high ranking monster, the obsidian spider. The mage wore a hood that hid his blond hair leaving his grey eyes visible. Tallen nodded to the Kaithe's question.

"There's someone else headed in that direction, but something is strange, it seems like a girl but her right boot seems to have extra weight it's possible she might already be injured or perhaps carrying something," Tallen explained.

"Let's hurry!" I ordered my party. Prioritizing the girl's tracks we made quick progress. Once the monster sets its sight on its prey it will hunt them down to the ends of the earth and it has surely latched onto her scent.

We rushed past tree after tree, around bushes and thorns, stopping only to make sure we were staying with the tracks.

"Hold!" Tallen said, kneeling down at some tracks. "She stopped here for a moment. She had turned toward something in that bush... dear god... but where..."

"What?!, speak!" I demanded

"Our quarry attacked the girl, look here." Tallen pointed to a pair of lines on the ground "It had jumped at the girl but that's it, no body, and the girl's tracks continue east!"

"Did she slay it?!" A woman, Ferra, gasped. She wore a white priests robe, made from heaven-silk; with a necklace that had the holy symbol of Luma the goddess of life and light. She had a white gnarled staff with a sky-blue crystal at the top. The priestess had silver hair and eyes with an attractive angular face that compensated for her lacking curves.

"Hard to say, Ferra, there's no body, no blood, nothing, but the monster does have phasing abilities it could still be hunting her in the ethereal realm" Tallen replied.

"Let's get the girl, maybe we can get some answers at least," I say

"""Agreed"""

"The tracks don't seem to wander from east" Tallen commented. "She must have an incredible sense of direction"

"That just makes it easier for us" Kaithe commented.

We marched at a hurried pace for some time, The forest oddly silent, I can't help but have a bad feeling.

"Is it just me or is this part of the forest oddly quiet?" I ask our hunter

"It's definitely too quiet" Tallen replied.

Just then we heard a high pitched scream, that seemed a lot sharper in the eerie silence.

"Run! We have to get to her before it's too late!" I ordered.

Rushing past the trees we saw the girl running towards us with some white furry creature in her arms, and a dire bear hot at her heels. She was running surprisingly fast, much faster than a normal person even gaining distance from the dire bear.

I breathed a sigh of relief, just a D rank monster

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Humanity should never have done this to nature! Please forgive me! I'll fight for more parks, I'll advocate for pollution clean up, I'll help clean the beaches!" The girl was shouting some nonsense in a fit of panic, the poor thing. Getting a closer look she was sickly pale, but the strangest thing was her iron-clad left arm and right foot. She was a beauty with emerald green eyes and long silky ruby hair, oddly the tips of her hair had turned a sapphire blue.

"Call the police! Animal control! The National Guard! Somebody Tranque this thing!" Kaithe chanted a spell and lightning shot past the girl striking the dire bear. Tallen loosed an arrow nailing the beast in the leg, as it stumbled I ran past the strange girl and decapitated the bear.

"Poor thing you didn't have to kill it! And is that a real sword? Are you larpers? Where did that lightning come from? I have so many questions" the girl said not even winded. Although she doesn't look like it she must be really athletic.

What? Larpers? Poor thing?! Is this girl right in the head?

"Geh!"

"What's wrong, Tallen?" I asked

"Look at what she's holding!" Tallen said in complete disbelief.

The furry creature she was holding, with teeth that can chew through some of the hardest material known to mankind, a creature that has slain an army of ten-thousand well-trained knights, a legendary creature feared by all was gnawing, unsuccessfully on her iron arm. It's growling is rhythmic like it's casting spells. judging from the crackling sparks jumping from the mouth of the creature to the girl's arm its spells, that would normally strike down some of the most powerful adventurers has no effect on her. The monster also struggles against her embrace, squirming with its strength that could crush rocks, how the girl managed to hold the beast, and seemingly not even know of its struggles I'll never know.

"Well, the girl is safe..." Ferra commented.

"Umm, do you think you can let that go? It's very dangerous" I tell the girl. It's actually advantageous to us, if we are ready we might be able to slay the legendary beast.

"Pfft! dangerous? Look at him is that the face of a dangerous animal? The girl cooed over the monster which only made it growl more fiercely.

Dumbfounded at the dense girl I try again.

"It... it's not a pet, miss, it's a very dangerous monster"

"It is not a monster! Just because it has a mutation doesn't make it any less deserving of meta-humane treatment!"

Meta what? This girl isn't going to let go, is she?

"This is going to be a problem, but for now she has it under control. Perhaps we should go back to town, it's not far from here." Tallen said.

I sighed

"I'm Varen the party leader, this is Tallen our hunter, Kaithe our mage, and Ferra our priestess"

The girl just stared at us like we were speaking in another language, she did look foreign but spoke fluent Thymian like a native, I wonder where she's from and how does she know our language so well?.

"Umm, and your name is..." I say trying to get her to at least cooperate with introductions.

"Ah! I'm sorry, my name is Lilly Meadow" She girl replied.

"For now let's go back to town, and make sure to keep a good hold on that," I say, motioning to Ferra to teleport us back to town.

_____________________

Lilly POV

 

Sitting across from my rescuers in some stone building. I review what had just happened. I was chased by a bear, was rescued by some larpers, and after introductions, the woman, Ferra, started saying some chunni sounding lines and poof I was in some stone building. Yes, STONE! Not concrete it's as if these guys were living in the medieval times, but they did seem to have electricity with lamps that had glowing crystals with light bulbs in them, at least there should be some LEDs in them, I wouldn't know since the crystals aren't entirely transparent.

The critter in my arms still trying to chew my arm, I wonder if he's hungry, poor thing, I'll try to get him something to eat.

The larper sitting directly across from me who introduced himself as Varen was staring at my rabbit. He looked ragged and smelled dirty, he really should take more showers. I wonder if he's homeless. He wore a metal plate suit and had a sword at his waist. He had short black hair with blue eyes. His stubble was unkempt and reminded me of the naturalists, was he one of them? He certainly looked mentally ill.

"Umm, do you have some food? I think he's hungry" I said motioning to my pet "And how did we get here? We were just in a forest a few minutes ago" Mr. Varen just looked at me with his mouth agape.

Just then the door opened, a well dressed, if not strangely, man walked in. The man was dressed in a red velvet vest with gold trims, he had a well-trained body with a sword at his waist. Great, another larper. At least he smelled like he showered today, but his full brown beard definitely shows his mental instability. The man had dull green eyes, strong jawline, with some lines and wrinkles on his face. Strange, I didn't know they made meta-humans like that.

"Sorry I'm late, The business about the Blood-Soaked Oni took longer than I thought. Varen, I heard there has been some..." his eyes wandered to my pet "...developments... what the hell is going on?"

"That's what I want to know" Mr. Varen replied.

The newcomer sat down next to Mr. Varen.

"I'm Ojek Miles. May I know your name, miss?"

"My name is Lilly Meadow."

"Miss Meadow, huh... do you have any idea what you're holding?"

"A rabbit! And I'm going to make it my pet, I just need to get those capture devices from the pet shop first though" I cheerily replied stroking the rabbit's head, it purred more intensely happy for my affection

"This girl..." Mr. Ojek's head collapsed into his hands, is he feeling well?

"I can't even..." Mr. Varen shook his head in resignation. The poor men's mental illness must be making them act strangely.

"Where are your parents, they must be worried sick for you," Mr. Ojek said, recovering.

"Par...ents?" I've never even heard those words before, what odd people. Can't I just go home and get my domestication balls already? It's really been a crazy day.

"Yes, your parents" Mr. Ojek repeated, guess I didn't mishear after all.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I merrily said, now rubbing my cheek on the soft furry head and holding my pet closer. Rabbits like carrots right?

"So you're an orphan..." Mr. Ojek sighed.

"Or..phan? Is that some sort of musical instrument? Do you know how to play it?"

Mr. Ojek and Mr. Veran looked at each other.

"Who's taking care of you right now?" Mr. Varen asked

"Me of course! I'm not in the government facility anymore, I graduated decades ago!"

"There's no way she sane..." Mr. Ojek muttered under his breath so inaudible even Varen sitting next to him couldn't hear.

"I am perfectly sane! I passed my quarterly psyche check!"

"How did you even hear that?" Mr. Ojek looked shocked. He's really the crazy one, maybe I should report them, they've been acting weird all day!

"You guys are being very rude! I'm going home now, thanks for saving me from that mutated bear, though" I got up and walked around the table.

"Wait!" Mr. Veran grabbed my shirt. "We're sorry, we didn't mean to offend you! But, you can't keep that as a pet. It's... against the rules!" Mr. Veran looked desperate while Mr. Ojek looked concerned.

"Well... I guess it's fine" Giving in I sat back down. A relieved Ojek got up.

"You must be hungry I'll get some food, it'll mostly be rations and vegetables though as the guildhall doesn't normally serve food."

Oh, he finally noticed how hungry Usagi is "Vegetables is fine if you have any carrots that'd be great!"

I nuzzled against Usagi while I waited, enjoying his purring as he seems to love all the attention he's getting recently.

Mr. Ojek came back in with some jerky and carrots. He placed the plate in front of me. I picked up a carrot and brought it close to Usagi

"Aaahn~ common. Aaahn~" Mr. Ojek buried his face into his hands again and Mr. Varen groaned putting a hand on his forehead, as I was trying to feed Usagi a carrot

Usagi whined for some reason, he finally let go of my arm trying to get his face away from the carrot.

"Don't be like that, eat up and grow big, Usagi!" I said beaming down affection upon Usagi.

Usagi whined again.

"Common, I won't let my first pet starve, Aaaahhnn~" Usagi finally nibbled the tip of the carrot. "You got to eat it all~" Usagi was crying tears of joy at finally being loved and fed by a caring owner.

An emptied plate and a fed Usagi later

{Congratulations! For tolerating the ruthless attacks for the better part of the day and not once backing down against a fearsome and legendary beast putting it in its place then ruthlessly feeding it it's most hated food by guilting it with sheer kindness and naming it you have tamed Usagi. How in the hell did you manage to do that?!

Congratulations! By achieving the impossible and taming a legendary beast you've earned the animal husbandry skill and gained 16 levels in it in one go!

Congratulations! You've earned the animal tamer skill and gained 33 levels in it in one go!

Congratulations! You've earned the animal domestication skill and gained five levels in it!

Congratulations! You've earned the monster taming skill and gained 18 levels in it!

Congratulations! You've earned the prestigious monster domestication skill and gain one level in it!

Congratulations! You've earned the Skill Genius title by gaining 30 or more skill levels in one go!

Congratulations! You've earned the Ruthlessly Kind title by forcing a torturous treatment upon a poor monster by showing it true kindness and affection}

Am I seeing things? Is my Bionic eye malfunctioning?

_____________________________

Ojek POV

 

"What do you mean I can't keep Usagi as a pet? Lots of people have pets" Lilly asked. The Monster, the legendary Lightning Lord Jackalope, Has settled down in her arms and is now peacefully sleeping, a scene that defies all logic.

"Yes but that's a wild animal you can't just pick one up and expect it to be nice" Varen Said, trying to convince the insane girl to release the monster. It will be a nightmare she releases it in the town and no doubt she eventually will.

Now that the monster is resting it's a perfect time to kill the thing, there's just one obstacle.

"That's why I am going to a pet shop, I need some domestication balls" Varen sighed. I don't need telepathy to hear his internal screaming.

"That's. Not. How. It. Works!"

"Isn't it?" The girl tilted her head putting a hand on her chin, which admittedly was adorable. Now with just one hand holding the massacre waiting to happen. If it woke up it could very easily escape.

Varen tensed up.

"What gave you that idea anyway!" Varen muttered trying not to wake the beast.

"The dive game did, pretty sure that's how it works, otherwise how did humanity domesticate dogs and cats, and all sorts of other animals"

I just sat there, dumbfounded. This girl isn't sane, she has to be suffering from a curse of some sort, she can't have survived this long otherwise.

"I suggest we examine her, perhaps we can cure her," I tell Varen.

"E-examine?! But still a month away from the quarterly check, my last examination was spotless, I'm a model citizen!" Lilly seems agitated, probably a reaction from the curse, the one who cast the curse on her must be very skilled. "I'm even a thrice winner of the Nobel prize! B-besides, you're not police you have no right to perform an examination!"

"I-it's just a joke! A joke, as you said we aren't police, right?" Varen Hastily said, not wanting Lilly's outburst to wake the Jackalope.

"O-oh, right, of course" Lily said sitting back down her face reddening. "Can I go home now?"

"Where do you live by the way?" I asked. At this Lilly looked smug.

"I live in arcology A! Floor three-thousand seven hundred eighty-two!" The girl said with the utmost pride

What nonsense is that?!

"A-Anyway, we just need you to do a couple of little things and then you're on your way"

"Alright!"

We moved through the guild hall to the initiation room, this is where all adventurers gain their adventuring cards and have their stats inspected to see if they are ready for rank promotions or to see their starting rank, there's a lot more to factor in such as combat experience but typically that's not an issue.

The inspection could also be used to determine health and mental conditions so it's also often used in hospitals which this why we brought Lilly here.

The room it'self was mostly empty save for a lone orb about the size of a man's head that stood on a pedestal and a crystal panel on a wall.

"Please put your hand on the orb" I instructed, hoping she would not recognize an inspection orb.

"Alright..."

As she did the crystal panel light up with a detailed stat sheet. Normally the receptionist would attune an adventurer card to the stats. The card was less detailed and would need to be periodically updated but functioned as a form of ID and used to prove who you were.

{Lilly Meadow
Race: Meta-Human.      Sub-Race: Flower Child.      Age: 54
Stamina: 830      Mana: 4003650/4003650 (+4000000)      Chi: 3650/3650
Mana Regen/Min: 344      Psy Power: 34      Qi: 0

Stats:
Strength: 80 (1.0) [80]      Agility: 86 (4.2) [361]      Endurance: 83 (1.0) [83]
Intelligence: 420 (8.2) [3444]      Wisdom: 159 (2.3) [365]      Charisma: 155 (8.3) [1286]

Skills:
Str skills: 1

Agi skills: 4.2
Laser Construction: 3
Klark Tech Construction: 18
Nano-Scale Construction: 8
Nanite Construction: 3

End skills: 1

Int skills: 8.2
Computer Programing: 13
Engineering: 23
Laser Engineering: 3
Klark Tech Engineering: 25
Chemistry: 5
Nano-Scale Engineering: 5

Wis Skills: 2.3
Telepathy, Subconscious: 2
Telekinesis, Subconscious: 2
Psychic Sense, Subconscious: 1
Remote Viewing, Subconscious: 1
Psychic Calm, Subconscious: 3
Mental Suggestion, Subconscious: 2
Subconscious Psionics: 2

Cha Skills: 8.3
Animal Husbandry: 16
Animal Taming: 33
Animal Domestication: 5
Monster Taming: 18
Monster Domestication: 1

Positive Conditions:
Prosthetics: Left eye (Mythical Tier)
Prosthetics: Left arm (Mythical Tier)
Prosthetics: Right Leg (Mythical Tier)
Nanite Injection (Mythical Tier)
CPU implant (Mythical Tier)

Negative Conditions:
Amputation: Left Eye
Amputation: Left Arm, Severe
Amputation: Right Leg, Major
Mental Conditioning: Severe
Cognitive Inhibitor Implant

Abilities:
Age Immunity: Racial
Regeneration, Lesser: Racial
Photographic Memory: Racial
Enhanced senses: Racial
Enhanced Cognitive Capabilities, Moderate: Racial
Enhanced Physical Growth, Lesser: Racial
Enhanced Intelligence Growth, Epic: Racial
Enhanced Wisdom Growth, Moderate: Racial
Enhanced Charisma Growth, Moderate: Racial
Disease Immunity: Racial
Toxin Immunity: Racial
Alien Thinking: Racial
Immature Psionics: Racial
Psychic Language Translation: Racial

Titles:
Discoverer of Force Fields
Builder of Force Fields
Nobel Prize Winner
Discoverer of Artificial Gravity
Builder of Artificial Gravity
Discoverer of Wormholes
Builder of Wormholes
Otherworldly Traveler
Skill Genius
Ruthlessly Kind
Flower Child

Special Notes: An accomplished and prized model citizen of the United Terra dystopian nation. Her disappearance will be investigated and trust me, you do NOT want them finding out this world exists; and you do not want them discovering how to planes walk, for the sake of the multiverse.

P.S. Don't send her back, you'll only make things worse for yourself.}

Fuck. My. Life.

The World System almost never puts special notes on people meaning she'll be a massive pain in the ass. And what the fuck is with her stats?! The average person is only at ten and her mana capacity is completely unheard of, not even hero's have anywhere near that amount.

It was actually fairly normal for adventurers to reach the hundred and even thousand point mark in terms of stats but that's aided through the system and it's limited, system-aided stats are effected in weird ways. Physical stats are mostly unaffected but mental stats only improve spells and abilities and don't actually improve mental capabilities. It's actually simple, the system can add or multiply forces, you push something and it can multiply your pushing force. But intelligence is not something you can simply multiply. So the best it can do is increase perceived time making someone think faster, but not smarter.

Alright, there's a lot of new things here let's take a look at them. I tap the display to see the race explanations.

Meta-Human: A genetically engineered Human to have physical capabilities reach biological limits. Their bodies and brain don't fully mature until one hundred years of age. A Meta-Human no longer ages and has some regenerative abilities capable of regrowing limbs in about a month.

So is she human or not? Says engineered so more like a chimera? But whatever the case her world has reached into forbidden knowledge and is playing god.

Flower Child Sub-Race: A genetically engineered Meta-Human to have vastly increased brain functions. Due to the physical limits of the human brain, a Flower Child's brain is fully redesigned, their brain's hemispheres being split into eight as well as many other redesigns; the name comes from how the brain octospheres vaguely resemble the petals of a flower. A Flower Child has weak and subconscious psionic powers, they are unable to consciously use psionics until they are fully matured at which their Immature Psionics is replaced with Matured Psionics that enhance their powers to devastating levels.

So she has been altered even more... gonna pass over the skills for now, it's usually self-explanatory.

Next are the conditions. And skipping some of the more of the obvious stuff

Prosthetics: Left arm (Mythical Tier): A robotic prosthetic powered by a magicite battery. Allows even greater strength than weak flesh, is made with an indestructible alloy, and is extremely resistant to lightning. Has built-in compartments to store small objects.

So that's the source of her mana... Magicite is a mythical tier material that vastly boosts mana capacity and spells cast. it's so rare only a handful of the stuff has ever been found and half of that has been lost throughout time. I assume her world was a way of finding these or that she is exceptionally valued in her world, or perhaps both.

Sill, four million mana?! how large is that magicite?! or maybe she has more, assuming one fore each prosthetic that's still about one point three million mana, if I could sell some I'd be set for life... no, I can't think like that; I'd just bring more disaster to myself.

Mental Conditioning: A non-magical form of brainwashing and cannot be cured magically.

Well, it certainly explains some things, but what exactly has she been conditioned for?

Cognitive Inhibitor Implant: An implant in the brain that inhibits certain brain activity so the host cannot mentally progress pass that of a child.

This explains her childish behavior, I wonder if there is a way to remove it...

Enhanced Cognitive Capabilities: A racial trait of Fower Children responsible for their incredible genius.

An unheard of racial ability, pretty self-explanatory I guess

Enhanced Physical Growth: a racial trait that increases strength, agility, and endurance; increasing the stats to one-hundred by the time the individual reaches the age of one-hundred

Ooh! An ability that combines three others, thankfully the system sometimes does this, if several things do pretty much the same thing at the same level. Sometimes it may also combine skills that work synergistically, like Speed Casting and a music skill can create Song Cast

Enhanced Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, Growth: As Enhanced Physical Growth but for the corresponding stat with the exception that the maximum stat is increased to the severity of the ability

So it wasn't incorporated in the same skill because they were at differing levels...

Alien Thinking: This ability turns the individuals thinking into aliens ways allowing them to make connections and discover things that seemingly break the laws of reality and defy logic, trying to read their mind without this ability or skill that achieves the same result will end with a severe migraine and at worst madness as lesser puny minds cannot comprehend the minds of these beings. Grants immunity to the madness inducing effect of eldritch horrors as these beings can easily comprehend such things.

Yeah yeah, the system sometimes likes to add some "flavor" to descriptions, I honestly don't know where it gets that from. Anyway, does this mean she is more related to those eldritch horrors than human, or perhaps an in-between?

Immature Psionics: A weak form of Psionics mostly only capable of minor and vague things. Including but not limited to things such as subconsciously mind-reading, premonitions, telekinetic aided physical activities, and danger sense. Most of the powers are imperceivable besides having uncanny intuitions, being able to sense lies and deceit, and achieving physical action one wouldn't think capable of the individual.

So it's like magic but not?

The next are titles, they usually grant access some sort of unique skill or ability but not nessicarily always.

Discoverer of Force Fields: Grants access to force magics

Builder of Force Fields: Empowers force magics

A new type of magic, maybe she can teach it, I didn't see the force magic skill so she'll need to get it first before teaching others.

Nobel Prize Winner:

No bonus, usually fame based titles don't grant anything, but rarely they do so it's always worth a check

Discoverer of Artificial Gravity: Grants access to gravity magic

Builder of Artificial Gravity: Empowers gravity magic

Nothing new to say here...

Discoverer of Wormholes: Grants portal magics

Builder of Wormholes: Empowers portal magics

Teleportation has already been discovered but portals should open gateways that anyone can travel through? If so it'd be a huge boon.

Otherworldly Traveler:

This one never had a bonus. Simply crossing into another world is not enough of an achievement to get access to a skill or ability, building the bridge that does, however, is.

Skill Genius: Lowers the threshold for gaining and increasing skills

Now that's an incredibly powerful title I wonder how one gets it?

Ruthlessly Kind: People, monsters, and animals are more responsive and reciprocating to kindness

Hmm, another new one for the catalog, now we just need to know just how she got it.

Flower Child: Grants access to Psionic abilities and Psy Power

So that's where that comes from...

Otherworldy traveler title... Meaning she is not originally from this world just like the summoned heroes.

The demon lord was slain three years ago, and three of the five summoned heroes chose to stay, she is obviously not one of the three, meaning she is not expected. Heroes are only summoned for the demon lord, there is no exception. So either the gods summoned her for a purpose or it was not the gods who summoned her. Assuming it wasn't the gods then who?

In the end, it's not up to me to worry about it, I'm just the adventurer guild branch head, I deal with monsters, not people. Whatever Lilly is that's for the king and heroes to work out. If anyone can figure out her insane antics it'll be the other otherworldly travelers.

I pull out my adventurer card and overwrite it with Lilly's information

"That's enough, you can take your hand off the orb"

"Can I go home now?"

"Yes, but you'll have to leave U...sagi behind," I say, we have to get rid of that monster and destroy it.

Just at that moment, the Jackalope woke up, it's beady electric blue eyes focused on me. Lilly doesn't seem to have noticed she was looking at me with watery eyes. The Jackalope leaped out of Lilly's unsecured grip with a growl.

We- we're dead!

Lightning sparked from the horn of the beast charging up power as it readied its lightning spell. At the same time Varen and I drew our swords, I'd rather die fighting than to die whimpering like a coward.

"Bad Usagi!"

What?

For some reason the monster listened, it looked at Lilly like a dog obeying its master.

"Com'ere" Lilly motioned to her shoulder, and Usagi leaped onto it like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Did she just tame an S rank monster?

Breathing out a lifetimes worth of sigh I offer a prayer of thanks to Thyra the goddess of fate and luck.

"Umm, what are you doing, why are you kneeling and muttering?"

I need this girl gone, I cannot take any more of this.

"Varen-"

"No"

"But I didn't even-"

"You know I hate escort quests"

Lilly looking at us as if we were speaking gibberish, a confused look on her face which was adorable with those round eyes of hers.

"The hero is just one city over-"

"Go find some C rank adventurer group" Varen insisted

"Your group is the only one that can handle the jackalope" I argued

"I hate escort quests because they often run into more danger are too slow, or get in the way. This!" Varen pointed to Lilly "Is a nightmare"

Lilly started to pout, she may not have understood what Varen meant but she knew he was insulting her.

How can this girl be such a headache yet be soul soothingly cute?

"Fine! I'll pass this off on someone else, but I'll have to consider your quest failed. Since the parameters had changed mid quest I was willing to consider it complete with this escort" I had to resort to this, my trump card.

Varen prides himself on never having failed a single quest.

"Guh! You knew exactly where to hit didn't you?!"

Varen looked at me, then to the pouting girl, then back to me.

"Fine! Fine, I'll do it but I am never doing any quest related to her again" Varen finally accepted begrudgingly. "We'll depart tomorrow"

"But I wanna go home now! It can't be that far away we're back in the city right? Just go to the arcology"

"This is going to be a long long quest" Varen sighed. "You owe me big for this" He then said, addressing me.

As long as this mess is out of my hair

"That's fine"

"Let's go, Lilly"

"I want an apology!" Lilly said, still pouting.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said what I said" Varen sighed, then ruffled Lilly's hair. Lilly blushed shyly. Then followed Varen out the door.

I go to my office to write a letter to the nearest hero with my adventurer card now replaced with Lilly's information attached. He can view the detailed info by connecting it with another scouter orb.

____________________________

Lilly POV

I followed Mr. Varen out into the lobby of the unfamiliar building. It was a large open space with several round tables that several larpers grouped up at. The chatter was fairly loud, were these people partially deaf? Thinking of Mr. Ojek and Mr. Varen are pretty loud people too, what's wrong with these nutcases? Does the government know about these guys? Wait... what if I'm discovered with these people? Will I be considered crazy? Maybe I should just leave these guys quietly, they seem to want me around but they are very rude anyway, yeah, I should get away the first chance I get.

Varen lead me to a table where his party was at. Varen pulled up a chair and after sitting he buried his face in his hands, he must like doing that. He motioned for me to sit which I obediently do. I must deceive these crazy people so I can escape later.

"You're not going to like this..." Mr. Varen sighed.

The others groaned, do they perhaps have telepathy? They seem to know something unspoken

"Escort quest?" Mr. Kaithe guessed

"Yup" Mr. Varen answered

"Lemme guess, you didn't really have a choice did you?" Mr. Tallen said.

"Yup" Mr. Varen answered

Why do they keep bringing up this 'escort' thing?

"So where are we taking her?" Miss Ferra asked

"To the city of Gallonor, but now I'm starting to question why you guys aren't asking about the fucking S rank monster obediently sitting on her shoulder!"

"Figured something must have happened," Mr. Kaithe said.

"Can't apply common sense to people like her" Miss Ferra replied.

"I once saw a monster tamer before, and that looks tamed to me; how she did it I have no fucking clue," Mr. Tallen said "Maybe I should introduce her to him" He muttered in thought.

"H-how can you guys be so calm about this?!"

"Well, you're alive, she's alive, and we're alive" Mr. Tallen answered

"Someone please wake me up from this nightmare- OW! Fuck that iron leg hurts!" Mr. Varen rubbed his foreleg, I didn't kick him that hard.

"Hphmm!" Kicking Mr. Varen under the table I look away from the rude man.

"I guess she doesn't quite like you does she," Miss Ferra said, seemingly amused. "So what happened to you for you to have a metal arm and leg?" Miss Ferra asked me.

"Hmm? A project I was working on exploded, force fields are really dangerous if not tuned correctly, deflectors can act as focusing arrays if you're not careful and nullifiers can multiply whatever comes in contact with by many thousands of times it if it is inverted" I explained "should have turned off the inversion field first" I muttered, reminiscing on my mistakes.

"That must have been a pretty bad experience," Mr. Tallen said

"Meh, it happens if Stem wasn't there I would have probably died by that graviton increase loop. She needed her entire lower body rebuilt from after ripping apart the generator."

"Is no one going to address the fact that she's from a place that can REBUILD PEOPLE with metal?!" Mr. Varen exclaimed

"Varen, She literally tamed an S rank monster in less than a day, you can't top that" Tallen replied

"They probably use some sort of golem craft, I love to know their secrets though," Kaithe said.

The others seem to be really nice people, maybe Mr. Varen is just the rude one. I still don't want to be labeled as crazy for hanging out with this crowd though, I wish Stem were here.

"Let's Just go back to the inn, we leave tomorrow. Ferra, you don't mind sharing your bed do you?" Mr. Varen asked

"Not at all! Maybe I can have more interesting talks with Lilly"

"Alright!, let's prepare and meet back up at the inn, who wants the babysitting duty?"

Babysitting? How does one babysit? Are there other ways of sitting?

"I'll do it! I can get her some spare clothes, her current ones have quite a lot of dust on them" Ferra volunteered

Thinking of it, there is a lot of concrete dust from the force field explosion on me. My nanites should filter out any silicosis I might contract but I really should wash my clothes.

We got up and left the building. The sun immediately assaulted my eyes with its still too intense light. After letting my eye adjust for a second the view came into focus.

"Wha! What's going on?! Where, where am I?!"

"Oh, right, I forgot. She has the Otherworldly Traveler title, so she might react in weird ways. Have fun with that!" Mr. Varen said before leaving miss Ferra looking like a deer in headlights.

30