Chapter 3: A Meta-Human and Onyx
707 5 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It is late afternoon by the time I reach the city gate. Why does the city have a gate? To keep wild animals out? Would a fence not work? Anyway, with Usagi sleeping in my arms I pet him, enjoying his soft yellow tipped fur. People went in and out of the gate, although the people coming in has to be searched for some reason but what frightened me most was a primitive vehicle modified to be a cage full of dirty, ragged, people with steel collars and manacles, they looked jaded and beaten down. This was not meta-humane, how are they kidnapping so many people?

I noticed more metal-clad men. Why did they just stand there letting these kidnap victims pass, they even check the vehicle and just let them through?! Maybe not all of them are undercover? An unsettling thought entered my mind. Maybe, maybe I was wrong about the government knowing, but wait, I shouldn't question the authorities, only evil and crazy people do that, but, these kidnapped people, but... I don't know what's going on.

I was started to hyperventilate, breathing very rapidly, my chest heaving. Is the government allowing this to happen? No! That can't be! The government is good, it's good and takes care of its people, it even has rehabilitation centers for crazy people, then the government doesn't know what's going on... Remembering what happened earlier a sudden realization dawned on me. That boy... I've made a terrible mistake. Those weren't undercover government people they were kidnappers.

No wonder the boy was so resistant he must have run away and I just gave him back to those evil people. I-I have to rescue them and tell the government what's going on!

The man chasing the boy called him Thief, perhaps that was his name? Alright I'll ask the metal men where they took Thief but first I should put on those crazy people clothes Ferra made me buy; I don't know why she let me though, perhaps she knew I was on to her and tried to fool me? But, I left it back at the inn... alright I'll just sneak back in and change.

Calming down I moved back to the inn, I could retrace my steps but it's easier to calculate the most direct path from my current position. Arriving at the inn I noticed that Mr. Tallen and Miss Ferra were gone.

huh? Miss Ferra said she was going to be here if I needed her, maybe she's upstairs? Are they looking for me?!

Once in the hallway, I listened at the door to Miss Ferra's room for any signs of life. I even look under the crack of the door and had my bionic eye switch to thermal view... nothing, good. I quickly changed into the crazy people's clothes and jumped back out the window, the shock of the landing woke poor Usagi up.

"Oops, sorry little guy," I said nuzzling him with affection as an apology.

As I was going back to the gate I saw several metal men walking in a formation. I gulp, steeling my nerves. This is to correct my mistake, I must be brave! Walking in front of the metal men I called out to them.

"U-Umm, sorry for interrupting your walk, but can you tell me where you guys took Thief to?"

"Huh? You mean where do we take thieves? Or are you asking where the prison is?" the metal man asked.

Prison? What a slip! That must be where Thief is! So a place that turns people crazy is called a prison, that's a useful thing to know.

"Y-yeah!"

"Why do you want to know? Is there someone you know there?" the man asked suspiciously.

Is he on to me?

"No, I was just curious, you know, to stay away from those people" I replied nervously hopefully this will throw him off.

"It's that-away, next to the barracks," the man said with a sigh.

Charisma check successful! Whew, I thought he was going to catch me, what terrifying people these metal men are.

"T-thank you Mr," I said and when I was almost out of sight the metal man called out to me.

"Hang on!"

"Eep!" I jumped at the sudden shout.

"Are you Lilly meadow? Someone is looking for a girl who matches your description" The guard said, inspecting me more closely.

"A-Ah, yeah. We were to meet up at an inn, I-I must have lost track of time" Laughing nervously I try to shake off the metal man's suspicion. "I'll go over there now"

"I see, Try not to make your friends worried about you next time 'kay?"

"O-okay..." The metal man walked off to join his group. I let out a sigh and clutched at my chest that was beating a mile a minute. he really scared me just now.

Once I was out of sight of the metal men I immediately ran in the direction the metal man pointed.

After a few minutes of running, I reached a place where a LOT of metal men were at, this must be that "barracks" the metal man said, of course, it wasn't going to be easy, in fact, it's was smart of them incase of escapees. The stone building next to it with bars for windows must be the prison. Must be terribly cold in that place with no actual windows, how in-meta-humane!

Sneaking up to the prison, being extra careful not to be seen by the metal men I look through the bars. The building had a basement where people were locked up in cages like animals! They must all be freed! But first I need to apologize to the boy, which cage is he in?

I eventually found him he was crying in the corner of the cage. I whistled to him to get his attention. the boy looked up and around looking for the source of the whistle before noticing me at the window. He scowled me with obvious anger.

"What do you want!? Here to mock me?!" the boy exclaimed as he recognized me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know they would put you in a place like this, but don't worry I'm going to let you out," I say, readying my plasma cutting finger. These bars were cast and not of high-quality steel, I could easily knock them out with a kick from my bionic leg but that'd be noisy, this was a stealth mission after all!

The boy just stood there, staring at me dumbfounded. I get the feeling that he was internally making fun of me, but I did make a mistake so I'll let it pass.

"You might want to look away, this could damage your eyes," I say, closing my right, biological, eye, and turn on my plasma cutter. I still held Usagi with my other arm. The boy looked surprised but did as he was told. Thirty seconds later all the bars were cut, the ends still glowing.

"What are you?" The boy asked, climbing out the window "Ouch! That's hot!"

"What did you expect? It was glowing hot a few seconds ago!" Did he not learn that hot things burn you? "Here let me help you, then we'll free the rest of these poor victims"

"Free them? But most of them are criminals worse than simple theft, like murder" the boy protested.

I have no idea what those things are but surely these people aren't bad, they were kidnapped after all. The boy just sighed after seeing my blank face.

"I know, I'm not one to talk. Alright, but we should make it quick" the boy said.

The next window there was a very ragged man with a long beard like the crazy naturalists, is this how they turn crazy? But if he is still in here then there's still hope for him to be rehabilitated.

Whistling to the man I tell him to look away before freeing him. "T-thank you, lass! But why are you doing this if I may ask"

"This is clearly not meta-humane treatment! You should go back to civilization!"

"You say some strange things lass but I'm not going to complain." the man crawled out the window. He was thin and malnourished. His eyes were blue and face gaunt. His hair was a black mass of mats. "So you freeing everybody?" the man asked, "I'm Durril by the way, may I know the name of my savior?"

"My name is Lilly Meadow, and yes we are."

"This is a bad idea, some people deserve to be there," The boy said, clearly affected by the brainwashing these guys have put him under.

One after another I get thanks from the freed men. Some people stood near me staying low to remain hidden, others took their chance to run as soon as they were out. The last man was not just in the cage he was chained to the wall with a reddish-purple metal that I had never seen before. After cutting the bars I set Usagi down hopped down into the cage.

"What's this? A cute little miss breaking in? Whatchu up to, little jailbreaker" the man said. He seemed to be a recent addition. He was somewhat handsome with crimson eyes and hair and gene modded himself to have two-inch-long crimson, horns, even his skin had a slight reddish hue to it. He somehow looked at peace, maybe he doesn't yet know what's going to happen to him?

"Oi... isn't that... the Blood-Soaked Oni, miss Lilly, you can't free him!" someone said

"I heard he was caught! Lilly, don't free him he's way too dangerous!" Theif warned.

"Stay still and don't look at the light, you'll damage your eyes" I repeat the words I had already said so many times before, ignoring the people outside, and bring my plasma to the metal, but unlike the iron, it didn't cut.

"Huh? Why?"

"It's adamantite little miss that little flame of your isn't strong enough to melt it," The man said.

"Then how..." I was trying to think of a way to cut this. If I had access to some of my more powerful tools back home...

"I'm a dangerous and condemned man miss, don't you recognize me? You sure you want to free me? I've murdered hundreds, maybe even thousands, I've lost count. I'm not going to live past tomorrow and I've come to accept that. I'm just going to murder more if given the chance"

It's that word again, not sure what it means but surely he's an innocent man.

I try again, even keeping the heat on the metal for a few minutes.

"Not going to change anything miss, you should run along before they check up on us, you'll be found out"

"Whew, at least that finger of hers can't cut adamantite, that madman can't be freed." a man said from outside the window

"It's still not working! If only I had my Atomizer!" noticing my frustration Usagi jumped down to comfort me, but instead of leaping into my arms, he started gnawing on the metal and easily chewing through it!

"Oi, oi! Isn't that the legendary Lightning Lord?! How did a little miss like you manage to control such a beast!"

"Usagi! You shouldn't eat metal it's not healthy for you..." come to think about it, I've never heard of wild animals not eating metal, maybe it's not bad for them? "I mean... way to go Usagi!" I give Usagi lots of hugs and affection for his work.

"I'm free? I'm not going to be executed?" the man said, then smiled with a wicked grin. "May I know the name of my savior?"

"My name is Lilly Meadow" I answered

"Shit! She freed him! I ain't gonna stay for the slaughter!"

"M-me too!" everyone except Durril ran away, even Theif did.

Against my expectation the man didn't climb out the window, instead, he walked to the door of the cage.

"Umm, Mr. You can just climb out the window" I inform the man.

"I know, but I need to get Ruby back. Just so you know Miss, I'm called Onyx, or more infamously known as 'The Blood-Soaked Oni' a man who could rival even the heroes" then Onyx kicked the door. The iron door flew off it's hinged crashing into the cage opposite to it caving in the iron bars of the other cage. "You might not want to stay in this city young miss, where do you plan and going?" Is he an android?! Perhaps a military-grade android?

"Back to the United Terran Nation!"

"United... what direction is that in, miss?" Onyx asked

"North!" I replied

"Then I'll see you at the north gate, I'll make sure to see you safely back to this... nation or whatever as payment for freeing me. Now run along, you don't want to see what's going to happen next" the man said, waving me toward to window. I took him at his word, a military-grade android should be able to handle these primitive metal men.

"You sure that was a good idea?" Durril asked

"Don't worry! I have a good feeling about him!" I said with a warm smile

"I owe you my life, if you're going to hell I'll follow you to it, just don't regret your choice.

__________________

Onyx POV

Lilly Meadow... She shares her hair, her green eyes, her innocence, her compassion. I couldn't hold back the tears of the memory of the one most important to me, my precious Ruby. I won't lie, I wish I could join her in the afterlife but the gods decreed I still live, but why? To continue my revenge? Or perhaps to live for another reason?

Three guards rushed in to investigate the noise, only to see me free and all the cells empty

"JAILBREAK! We have escapees!" The alarm was raised. Good, the fun will begin. Rushing forward I strike the first man, caving in his chest and sending him flying into his comrades. Not stopping grab the next man by the throat crushing it. Blood sprayed over my arm as I swung the dead man into the other who was recovering from his collision with the first man. I kicked the downed man, crushing the armor, and causing him to fly in the air creating the wall with a sickening splat.

I tore off the wooden door that leads to the cells and used it as a shield. The clanking of armor signaled the arrival of more guards. I ran forward with my shield up ramming the men and crushing them between the door and wall. The door broke with the force. I only managed to kill one of the newcomers out of seven but no matter.

"He's free! We need mages here!" I [Blink] forward appearing behind the man, gripped his head, and with a jerk tore it off. Blood showered me as I tossed the head to one of his comrades who had a terrified look on his face.

"Revenge is best served bloody, don't you think?" I calmly said. "I won't let any of you Thymians live!" Thymians, a race of humans who lived in the Thormyl Empire, the ones who killed my reason to live.

[Blood Veil]

Blood rose and encircled me as I use one of my abilities. Now free from the wet and warm feel of the blood I order the blood to spear the remaining guards who stood frozen in fear in their necks; adding their own liquid life to my arsenal that returned to encircling me.

I let my blood veil kill any who dare to come close and as I look for the armory.

Several magic circles appeared under me but I [blink] out of the area and send my blood spears toward the mages who were too slow to defend themselves.

"Ah! Here it is..." I say finally entering the armory. And there I see my sword. A long single-edged straight sword. The blood groove was constantly bleeding dripping down the crimson blade, like tears. The dimly glowing ruby pummel seemed to be lonely. As I felt tears start to well up in my eyes, the pain and sorrow that my sword reminded me of stirred the urge to slaughter and kill, to bathe in the blood of my enemies.

"I'm sorry I left you alone, Ruby," I say cradling the sword and blinking the tears out of my eyes. "Let's go, we have a mission to do, and... someone to protect..." perhaps that's why I am still alive? As I comforted the sword the Ruby began to glow vibrantly and the dripping blood slowed to a stop, though the blood groove remained full of swirling blood.

"Let's slaughter these bastards!" I say wielding the sword. The ruby now glowing darkly, full of bloodlust.

Walking out into the barrack many guards had already formed ranks and immediately spells flew through the air. I dodged the spells with several uses of [blink].

[Wind Sundering Blade]

With a swing of my blade, a shockwave so powerful it tore up the ground-launched out. The guards scattered but many died to the shockwave. In an instant and a burst of speed I ran through the chaos of panicked men, slicing through armor and flesh like warm butter, arriving on the other side. I was greeted with thuds and squelches of limbs and bodies falling to the ground. Screams of pain and dying men greeted my ears.

I turned around to admire my carnage. Corpses and limbs littered the ground. The men who still lived were praying to the gods. I let them offer their words before finishing them off. If the gods were going to do something they would have done so long ago. With the massacre over I loot a sheathe from a guard and sheathe Ruby. Ruby didn't fit the sheathe too well but it worked. I dropped my blood veil letting the blood form a pool on the ground, and I start running to the north gate. If possible I don't want Lilly to see the slaughter that is about to happen there.

People screamed and called for help as they recognized me but I paid them no mind. Normally I would kill to my heart's content but maybe, hopefully, the gods are telling me to protect someone instead of killing. Reaching the gate the guards turned around to investigate the disturbance. One of them even started to run away upon seeing me. There were only six guards here so I easily dispatched them and caught up with the coward with [blink] and finished him off.

The streets had cleared themselves by now so I took this time to clear away the blood with my blood veil and dragged the bodies out of sight. Then I leaned on the wall with my arms crossed, waiting for Lilly. A dozen minutes later she arrived, hugging the Lightning Lord to her chest with one of the escaped prisoners with her.

"I expected more blood," The man said.

"You aren't going to run away?" I asked.

"Was a dead man anyway" he replied.

"Crime?" I asked. What I meant was what he did to earn death row.

"Was dumb enough to try to ransom a nobles son" He answered. I nodded. He wasn't dangerous, just a fool; and although he was a Thymian I decided to let him live. 

"What are you guys talking about?" Lilly asked, tilting her head cutely.

"Nothing you need to be concerned about" I replied patting her head and giving a warm smile. I didn't know I could still do that. Ruby glowed warmly as if giving the same smile a show of acceptance to Lilly. "Let's get you home"

We walked out onto the road not stopping until dark. The road was flanked on the right by a forest. Just a small field stood between the forest and the road. On the left ran a large river. The river ran too fast and too deep to safely swim accross.

"Do you have any food? Usagi hasn't had anything to eat recently" Lilly asked

It's a legendary monster, it can fend for it'self... wait, Usagi?

"You named it Usagi?" It was just so absurd I needed confirmation, yet it reminded me... No, I can't remember, the tears will fall if I do; I can't show that to Lilly.

"No, we don't, perhaps we can hunt for some?" I said with a smile ruffling Lillies hair. Ruby glowed softly too.

"Hunt?" Lilly asked

"Yeah, get some food for our own" I replied

"But there's no store around here..." Lilly commented. Lilly was a good girl

"Where do you think the store gets food?" Durril aked

"They make it"

"How can you make meat? Durril asked rhetorically

"Hmmm, Stem said something about growing it... or cloning it or something like that"

"Stem?" I asked

"Stem is my assistant! She helps me turn off machines that go haywire and she cooks me food! Umm, but she also tells me to work or more specifically work on the boring stuff" Lilly smiled when talking about the good stuff, but frowned at the bad stuff. She really doesn't act her age, she should be around Sixteen right?

"She sounds like your mother" Durril commented.

"Mother? You people say a lot of strange things... murder, parents, stole, sister, and so on"

Something isn't right...

"Are you an orphan?"

"Exactly! Someone said that too!"

"Wait, you don't know what an orphan is? You don't know what parents or siblings are?" I asked. Something is definitely not right.

"No, what are they?" Lilly innocently asked.

"Where did you grow up?" Durril asked, incredulously.

"The government facility of course! Just like everybody!" Lilly looked at us like we were crazy.

"Which government is that?" Durril interrogated

Could she be...

"The Government, what other ones are there?"

"Lilly" I said, interrupting the conversation. "How did you come here?" There's no way it can be, can it?

"Hmmm, we were experimenting with wormholes, on our first test though something went wrong and it was growing exponentially so we tried to stop its growth with force field but we forgot to implement a fail-safe with the entropy inverter. It inverted the force fields and that caused an explosion, I was knocked unconscious after and woke up in some park; I assume I fell into the wormhole?" Lilly recounted.

"So wormholes are like portals?" I asked

"Yeah"

"Do you... think it's possible that you made a wormhole to another world... instead of to a different area in your world?" I asked slowly. That can't be possible, right? Lilly stopped. Turning to face her I could almost see the gear turning in her head. Then a look of sudden realization.

"Why didn't I think of that?! It makes sense now!" Lilly exclaimed, "We should have bent the graviton bridge, to curve it back towards the same world!" Lilly squatted down and buried her face in her hands "I'm so dumb! That was completely obvious!!" Lilly's outburst woke Usagi up who looked at her curiously.

Tears threatened to fill my eyes as even Lilly's outburst mimicks Ruby's. It was like looking back in time. 

I knelt down next to Lilly "You made the wormhole right? Can you make another?"

"I didn't do it alone. Iris and Violet helped me, and we'd need a big facility and a large power source"

"Iris and Violet, huh, are they in this world too?" I asked

"Maybe? I don't know but without them, I doubt I can create a wormhole anytime soon. I'd have to specialize in the things they did"

"What are those" Durril asked.

"Iris specialized in tachyon lasers and communication, it's important because we need graviton lasers. Violet made the entropy inverter as we needed to invert the gravitons to build a wormhole bridge"

"I have no idea what you just said," Durril said.

You and me both

"So we should try to find them then, so you can go home," I said. Now know our destination is not in the north we'd have to talk about where to go next but where? We are looking for people, good thing they should look like the same ethnicity as Lilly.

We decided to camp for the evening. I had Lilly wait by the riverside while Durril went out to gather firewood. I set up camp and Usagi dived into the river and caught several fish. Mostly for it'self and for Lilly. Strange, she didn't order it to yet it did it on its own, just how did she tame such a beast?

"Ah! Usagi why are you taking the fish out of the water?! They need to be in there to live!" Usagi just looked at her tilting it's head cutely "Don't bully the fish!"

"Lilly, It needs to eat them to live" Lilly looked aghast at my words

"E-e-eat them?! That's horrible! Why would he eat them?!"

Did she live with elves? No, even elves know the food chain.

I walk over to Lilly and sat down next to her

"Lilly, that's how life works. In order to live one must eat, but they can only eat other things that were once living. Even plants are alive and you must kill some of them to live; Same with animals"

"But that's so cruel, can't... can't we just grow parts of it so it's was never alive? Like cloning a heart or liver, the hospitals do that."

"This world isn't like yours, Lilly. We have no way to do that. The first thing you have to know is that everything eventually dies, by age, by disease, by accident" Perhaps I am assuming too much that her world is like this one.

"Age? How does one die of age? Also, what are diseases?" Lilly asked

I sighed, Not even that, huh? She's a human right? She should know what old age is, but maybe not?

"How old are you Lilly? Are you not human?"

"I'm fifty-four, Meta-human"

Meta-human? So is she human or not?

"What the difference between human and meta-human?" I had to know

"There are no more humans, our species uplifted ourselves to become superior," Lilly said as if reading from a note.

"Superior how?"

"Hmmm, stronger? Smarter? Something like that"

So she doesn't quite know... I can assume they made themselves live a lot longer, maybe even longer than elves.

"Anyways, In this world, Usagi cannot live without eating the fish, and neither can you. But that's a good thing"

"Huh!? How?!" Lilly Look shocked.

"By hunting fish, he kills the weakest ones, resulting in a more superior race of fish," I say, Using a bit of her logic to help my case "But if no fish are killed then they will grow out of control and eat all the plants or other animals, then they will die of starvation and there will be nothing alive. Life needs a balance of birth and death" Yes, nature needs a balance Life demands sacrifice.

"Birth?" Lilly asked

Just how much does she not know?

"To give new life" I replied. I need to be patient with her, her world must be so different, so alien that even natural things seem crazy to her.

"So the weak die, making the species stronger. And to replace the weak more are... birthed? So the species don't all die out?"

She's smart, and although she had no concept of these things she was able to instantly figure it out.

"Yes, so you see, it's a good thing that Usagi is hunting fish, so life can continue to live and so it doesn't consume everything"

Lilly had a look of enlightenment, her emerald eyes... eye? Well, they seemed to be sparkling with new knowledge. "So... if there are too many people, that's a bad thing too? How many are too many? a hundred billion? a trillion?"

Absurd number to be sure but that's only if I think from my perspective.

"Hard to say, but the world has a way of determining this number. Diseases, age, predation, many things play a role in population control so it's best to just leave it to those"

"I see... but it's still sad, is there not a better way? What if we can make a place that can perfectly... no, that won't work, but if we alter the animal themselves so they don't grow out of control..." Lilly trailed off in thought.

That's something only the gods can do, or perhaps not even, there's a reason why it hasn't been done yet. And here she is, talking about doing it. Perhaps, maybe she knows a way?

"We have plenty of time to think, for now, let's eat and be thankful for the animal that gave their lives so the greater whole can keep living"

For the first time I talked to an animal, an animal I was going to kill. I gave thanks and an apology. For the first time, I was sorry to kill another living being. Perhaps, Lilly had awoken something within me, and talking to her and explaining things we took for granted helped me sort out things, things that no one thinks about.

Life requires a sacrafice to keep living, we eat, kill, just so we can live. in other words, Life demands death.

{Contratulations! For your philosophical enlightenment you gain the Yin and Yang (Vitalism) title}

Explain Yin and Yang (Vitalism)

The system will give details on your own stats and titles if you ask for it. But it never shows anyone else without a crystalline display

{Yin and Yang (Vitalism): Grants access to Vitalist magic and Vitalist Sacrifice

Vitalist magic: capable of taking, giving, and transferring life energy between people to heal or harm.

Vitalist Sacrifice: you can store life energy and can revive the dead (so long as a vessel is capable of containing their soul) with the life energy of another. Life demands death}

I guess I can't revive my daughter, her body's been cremated.

"You should get some rest Lilly," I say. "You too Durril. I'll take first watch." He had returned shortly after my talk with Lilly and I use my abilities to get fish, even though they were never intended for such a job. Usagi refused to work for anyone other than Lilly.

After Lilly and Durril had gone to sleep I looked into the fire, my daughter's face appearing in the flames. Tears started to well up in my eyes. I always cried when remembering Ruby. And with the pain came the hate and the urge to slaughter those responsible for her death! I was just killing for revenge, but now... why? I still despise those people, I still want to kill them all even if I know most are innocent. Yet I can't help it... this rage won't go away and the tears won't stop falling.

____________________

Lilly PoV

I Woke up, stretching. my back hurt sleeping from the hard ground. The night sky was cloudy and a cold wind swept against my face.

"I wish I had my bed, the ground is too hard" I complained.

"The night is still young, you'll need to as much sleep as you can get for the coming travels," Mr. Onyx said

"Hmm? It should have been around two hours though, that's the recommended amount of sleep for us. At least Stem will yell at me for sleeping in" I say, complaining about my assistant

"Well, then I should get some sleep. If anything happens, if anything comes near, even if they are seemingly friendly, wake me; okay, Lilly?" Onyx looked understanding, he's been the first one to not call me crazy or try to make fun of me. He's such a nice guy.

"Yeah!"

As Onyx was about to lay down and the night sky was suddenly filled with a burning bright light that could outshining the sun!

"What going on?" I muttered

Danger. Something is really, really wrong but I can't pinpoint exactly what it is. That light can't be from the sun.

"I have a bad feeling," I Said. Them my bionic arm beeped. Looking down at the screen I see that my tachyon detector picked up a massive amount of various tachyons "That's... A Tachyon burst?!" What could cause such a burst? There was really only one answer. Not even an exploding star's supernovae will produce such amounts of tachyons, this was not a naturally occurring phenomenon.

"A what?!" Onyx said

Usagi had perked his head up, looked around, and seemed to be whimpering, he seemed to know what's coming. Something of this magnitude will certainly produce that for perhaps thousands of miles.

"Not good! Not good! We need a force field!" What can I do? ! What can I do?! If only I had a force field generator!

Then a saw it, A wave of air rushing towards us. I couldn't even process what was going on. I stood up.

Think! Think! Time seemed to have slowed down the pressure wave inching tauntingly slow.

Magic, that's right! This is a different world, the crystal screen that Mr. Ojek showed was about me, right? It showed I had access to force magic! But how do I do it?

"Umm, Umm, Magic how do I do it!" I thought out loud.

"Picture what you need to do in your mind! Project it out into the world!" Onyx shouted.

I shove out my hands in front of me and closed my eyes tightly. Focusing my entire will on creating a null space around us. I felt... something leave me, rushing out in an incredible torrent, so much so that I felt like being zapped by lightning! Then the Pressure wave hit. The trees in the forest were blown down and anything living in it likely dead. The ground shook violently and the river boiled instantly. We, however, were fine; but besides the area around our campfire, everything had turned into a hellscape. The air was heated so much the forest smoldered and caught fire, the fish in riverbed cooked. Oddly, snow (?) began to fell, so much huge flakes of snow blanketed the camp

I felt weak, and my legs shook as if I exercised to the point of collapse and ran twice as long again. Breathing heavily with the world fading to blackness I slump to the ground

{Congratulations! For making an incredibly well-timed use of your force magic to defend yourself and your party from certain overkill you gain 29 levels in force magic.

For racking up [mana exhaustion] condition to historic and lethal levels you gain 42 levels in Mana Tolerance, try not to use so much next time, and hope Onyx figures out how to keep you alive.

For enduring the intense pain of mana exhaustion and the pain of mana path engravement on 30% of your body, you gain 21 levels in pain tolerance.

For performing Mana Engravement on yourself you gain Mana Engravement (Right Arm), Mana Engravement (Left Arm), and Mana Engravement (Right Leg) positive condition}

Not even a minute later the heavens opened up, White beams of soothing light shone down upon us, the fire died down and the airwave disappeared.

"A divine intervention..." Durril said in awe.

"What happened Lilly?" Onyx asked.

There was only one thing that can do this. I read the thesis one of my predecessors wrote and this fits the bill.

"A tachyon bomb" I bearly managed to mutter before the darkness consumed me.

26