Chapter 6: Hero and Villain
507 9 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Snow fell amidst the smoldering and charred trees. The river bone dry with the night lit up as if there was a second sun just beyond the mountains. Why was there snow? I stretched out my hands and caught a three-inch-long flake, it was warm to the touch and didn't melt. Its pattern was intricate and resembled the magic circle that Lilly projected to use that strange magic.

The snow (?) flake was impossibly intricate with interlocking smaller circles and lines within. Runes were in between two outer circles, only two of them I recognize. It wasn't snow, was it? It was crystallized mana. This was a spell circle engraved in crystallized mana. Mages would encase it in a glass sphere as it is fragile. In order to train mages, they need to picture the spell circle in their mind to cast a spell. Until the mage gains the magic skill corresponding to the magic type they need to rely on picturing the magic circle. Those with the skill don't. A way around that is a crystallized mana engraved magic circle.

Engraved magic circles are incredibly rare and valuable and the secret to creating them has been kept by the mage association for thousands of years. The engraved magic circles that Lilly created is so intricate I doubt anyone could learn it the hard way. This means the only way to gain the magic skill is with these flakes and there were hundreds of them.

"Lilly what did you do?" I asked before turning towards her. But Lilly wasn't there, instead, there was another girl, with deep red hair and a pool of blood under her. There was a sword left in her back. She was pale, too pale, too motionless.

"No..." I stumbled towards her, I was in shock. This can't be real. I've already seen this before. I won't let this happen again! I shook my head and focused on reality, the image of my daughter fading away.

Lilly laid on the ground, motionless. Her ruby hair spread around her like a pool of blood. Crystallized mana had formed on every inch of her body in swirling patterns but her arms and right leg were completely caked in it, like a cast. Signs of mana exhaustion. A mage isn't necessarily limited by their mana capacity, they can also be limited by the drain of mana. Drain slowly and your body has time to adjust to the lower mana on your body, drain too fast and your body will go in shock.

I need to save her, how can I save her? I can't let her die again!

"I'm goin' to be rich! All this crystallized mana... I'm gonna be set for life!" I turned toward Durril who was greedily shoving the engraved mana circles in his shirt that he had turned into a sack, plenty of them braking as he did so. Ru- No Lilly had saved his life! And this is how he repays her?! Greedy Thymians!

Durril had already shoved most of the engraved mana circles into his makeshift bag. Ruby glowed in rage toward Durril. Ruby hated Thymians, I hated Thymians. Life demands death.

I raised my hand toward Durril and focused on his life essence. I pictured it transferring to Ru- Lilly and healing her, relieving her of the mana exhaustion. A crimson circle, much smaller than the one Rub- Lilly had cast, appeared in front of me.

"Huh, what are you-" Durril slumped to the ground, crushing several engraved magic circles. He starts gasping and rolling on the ground curling up as if in pain.

"S-stop! Please!" Durril gasped with a raspy voice

Take it all!

With a clench of my fist and gritted teeth, I yank away the rest of his life force and direct it toward R- Lilly

{Congratulations! For ruthlessly killing one of your party mem-}

He was never part of my party!

{For ruthlessly killing one of your sworn enemies and using his life to heal someone you care about you gain 1 level in Vitalist magic.}

I doubt his worthless life had saved Ru- Lilly but he had bought her some much needed time.

Usagi whimpered. Nudging Lilly, trying to wake her. I knelt next to him petting the beast on the head.

"Don't worry I'll save her" I tell the monster. There's no way I could harm her pet but there is a town full of filthy Thymians!

I pick up Lilly and give her a piggyback, Ruby blinking worriedly. 

"Let's go," I said to the jackalope. Usagi hopped at my side.

We traveled at a good pace the burning sun behind us slowly fading, not too slow as we are short on time but not so fast as to tire us out. We soon passed the line where the air wall was removed by the divine intervention. One could easily see the charred trees lain down and broken then all of a sudden there's standing healthy trees.

Standing just before the line of destruction was a group of adventurers I'd rather not meet. The Heaven's Guard. Consisting of Varen, The Holy Blade. Kaithe, The Winter. Ferra, The Light. And Tallen, The Heaven's Hand.

"Lilly!" Ferra Exclaimed.

"Is that Mana exhaustion?! I've never even heard of a case this severe" Kaithe recognized the symptoms.

"Get your hands off her, you fiend!" Varen growled.

These guys won't listen to reason, will they? I reach for Ruby who was glowing with bloodlust, but I was stopped when I heard a small growl and Usagi stepped forward as if saying "I'll handle this, you go ahead"

"Don't even think of dying little one, she'll get upset" I respond to the Jackalope, my respect for the beast growing evermore. I readied for a burst of speed to rush past our adversary.

Usagi just gave me a confident look as if saying "I'll show you what it means to be Lighting Lord"

Thunder rumbled as storm clouds gathered, the night had all but returned just an orange glow peeking over the horizon. Just as a flash of lightning illuminated the area it signaled the start of the battle. In a burst that left trails of lightning, Usagi disappeared into the sky. With a lightning strike, he appeared in the middle of the adventurers, a ring of lightning burst out of the landing throwing back the adventurers and separating them. I wasted to time and with a [blink], I was on the other side of the thundering battlefield and sprinted at my top system-aided speed.

With the city coming into view I noticed guards were running about, probably in response to the tachy-what's it bomb that Lilly said. Standing on the wall, above the gate, I see a familiar figure. A young man clad in pristine, practically, shining platinum armor. It was a full set of plate armor made of Vakyrium, a type of holy metal. The metal it'self is so rare his armor is probably the most that have ever been in one place. The man's face was concealed by his flawless helm, the metal is transparent on one side so he can easily see out with a full field of vision and air magic drew fresh air in to help breathing and regulate his body temperature.

Masato, the Hero who, personally dealt the last blow to the demon lord. He's also the one who captured me. Masato wore a white cape with an emblem with a word from his world's language. He took off the cape and handed it to a knight next to him then jumped off from the top of the wall, landing with no injury.

"I never thought you'd escape, Onyx, when I received the message I teleported here to come to get you, but then the light happened. What makes you come crawling back to me, ey?" Masato confidently said.

I laid the unconscious Ru- Lilly on the ground. And with a serious glare I drew Ruby, she glowed with fierce determinism and defiance. Last time I was ready to join my daughter in the afterlife, this time, however, this time I'm fighting for the sake of... of... someone dear to me, why was she dear to me? I only just met her, right? Or maybe I knew her all her life. I'll just have to figure it out after I beat this justice freak down.

"No words for me, ey? Well then, let's get the show on the road" Thunder rolled in the background, and flashes could be seen in the distance. Rain started to pour down, first at a sprinkle, then as if a switch was flipped sheets of rain fell, so much so that I couldn't have seen the hero if not for his platinum armor.

I closed my eyes. Last time I fought without regard for life, either my own or anyone else around me. Ruby, no, Lilly is near, so I must be careful. I didn't even bother using the ancestral techniques ever since she died, maybe it was because I wanted someone to kill me, but now, now everything is different. It's been a while since I last used it but now my body is itching, yearning to use it.

[Fourth Dance: Moon Flower] I muttered. [Blinking] from my spot I strike the Hero before blinking again and striking, then, again and again, not stopping and relying on my [blink] to redirect my movement. I move like a flowing river and set on whittling away my foe like a river erodes the ground, while Ruby glowed a rolling glow, growing brightest at the strike before dimming.

The hero did not have time to stop and think as I came from a new random direction every time. In the time it took for a heartbeat I had struck the hero eight times before settling back in my original spot.

That had been a test, to unsettle the hero, now comes the true battle.

_________________________

Masato POV

"I honestly didn't expect that Onyx, color me surprised. I didn't think you had that up your sleeve, villain!" I shouted while readjusting myself. He had not used this last time, something had changed. He'd been quick to respond, now he just ignores me. He fought like an untrained vagabond, but now? Now he like a master swordsman

[First Dance: Dusk Seed] Onyx's sword glowed with Vibrant life, the entire blade darkly glowing as a contrast before the light move to the tip of the blade, a seed. Blood dripped from the blood groove and soon coated the blade despite the torrential downpour.

With a flash, lighting rumbles across the sky, and with a burst of impossible speed, the Blood-Soaked Oni charged I barely had time to respond, but couldn't block him. He stabbed me in the chest leaving a dark bloody mark on my armor. I threw a punch but he blinked out of my counter-attack.

Something definitely changed, it's like he is a new person. I can't get a read on his fighting style, Damn rain! If only I can see him! The only thing, thankfully, that I can see is his sword's glow

[Second Dance: New Moon Germination] Onyx's light traveled up the blade enveloping like a bloody sheathe.

"I'm not going to let you!" I have no idea what kind of attack that is and this bloody mark has me worried so I enter a defensive stance. As soon as onyx disappeared I braced myself but no attack came. Confused I look around but see no sword glow. Then I realized my mistake just as my [Danger Sense] warned me of the incoming attack. I immediately dodge left for Onyx to land right where I was, the shockwave of his landing blew rain everywhere but he didn't have the blade stabbed in the ground. He predicted my dodge! With a speed I could barely keep up with he had stabbed me right where he had previously marked. The mark grew bigger, sprouting something like tiny feelers across my armor!

I was blown back, the wind screamed around me as in an instant I crashed into the city wall cratering the masonry with stone dropping down and clanking on my armor. Was he hiding his true strength last time?! That attack and speed reminded me of my battle junky comrade!

No, his action was familiar, It was how I was when the demon general had kidnapped Shaila. I was so determined on rescuing her I completely ignored the demon and his quips. Could he... could he be fighting for the sake of someone else?

Lightning flashed and for an instant, I saw his face. It wasn't like last time, last time it had been as if he had given up on life; now he was filled with deadly determination! His sword too glowed with mimicked defiance. Was his sword alive?!

[Third Dance: Midnight Budding] The sword's glow seemed to dull as if it was being wrapped in petals.

[Guardian Angel!] I shouted out a defensive ability and an immaterial shield appeared in front of me.

With an overhead strike, Onyx had struck the shield before [blinking] away from the thrust of my sword. Damn that ability, it was that one which gave me so much trouble last time.

Still, I am a hero, I may be disadvantaged in this weather but I did defeat the demon lord and I've been in worse situations, well, I wasn't alone then.

I gritted my teeth. Lightning rained down off in the distance, hundreds maybe even thousands of strikes in just a few seconds.

What was going on over there?

Next thing I knew I was thrown back into the to wall the mark on my armor growing thorns and it's feelers turned into proper vines that inched further across my armor somehow I felt the pain as if being stabbed with a thousand needles.

That's what I get for getting distracted!

[Fourth Dance: Moon Flower]

Not again!

I parry strike after strike.

"I've seen this before!" [Holy Smite!] feinting with my sword I punched Onyx in the face throwing him back so far I couldn't even see the glow of his sword. I took this chance to cast buffs on myself then I activate my cheat ability [Martyrs Will]. My magic scrolls of strength enhancement, agility enhancement, speed enhancement, and haste burned away now that their power had been used. A wave of destruction flew towards me, tearing up the ground as it did.

Great I did not need uneven ground as well as poor lighting. [Guardian Angel] Summoning my holy shield I block the wave but then my [danger sense] and [prediction] skills blared, warning me of something coming from above! I dodge forward and kept rolling to gain distance, I won't make the same mistake twice.

I need to end this fast.

"It's time to end this don't you think?" I challenged

"Hmm!"

[Fifth Dance: Waxing growth!] [Heaven's Fall: Divine Ascension!]

Our swords clashed sending out shockwaves the even the soldiers on top of the wall stumble. The ground beneath us cracked and cratered by the sheer power. I followed up consecutive slashes that matched Onyx's own. The speed of our strike created a blur and the power blowing away the raindrops. Onyx stabbed my mark but only for my after image to disappear. Behind Onyx I slashed down but find I only cut air as he disappeared.

[Power Surge!] I flooded my body with chi energy causing an aura of energy to burst forth. I pretty much copied that battle junky's cheat ability but this is only a lesser version, a mere imitation. Its drawback is that it constantly drains my chi energy so if I don't finish this soon I'll be in a bad spot.

[Blood Veil!] That, huh? Onyx used his own blood to fuel his deadly skill, a risky maneuver.

With a speed much faster than I had just now I push onyx on the defensive. It was all he could do to just parry and block my strikes. But I underestimated him, again! Onyx had lured me into a false sense of superiority then use his blood veil to block one of my vital strikes that left me wide open and he struck me in the chest, I felt the mark grip me like tightening vines, the thorns piercing me.

I flew backward and before I could regain myself Onyx struck again

[Sixth Dance: Fullmoon Bloom!] His sword who had been holding onto its glow suddenly burst with blinding light. Light like petals stretching outward, enticing, and drawing my attention. Onyx stabbed his sword into the mark again causing it to evolve into the next stage. The mark had taken the form of a rose. With its thorny vines now wrapping around my arms and legs. The bloody mark doesn't wipe away no matter what I try.

[Guardian angel!] [Seventh Dance: Waning Wilt!] It was hard to think with the pain. Every movement was like wading through a sea of thorns. I know it's just phantom pain but it's still overbearing.

Onyx's struck the shield and as I landed and rolled into a standing position.

[Heaven's Fall: Glory] I rose my sword in the air shining like the sun as a halo of light appeared above my head empowering me further. [Break Curse!] The mark remained, it was worth a try but I feel like if I get hit once or twice more it'll result in instant death.

[Heaven's Fall: Valkyrie] Wings of holy energy sprouted from my back, feathers slowly falling from the wings which regenerated the feathers.

Onyx rushed forward and I swung my blade to intercept his strike but his blood veil shot out so powerfully it knocked my sword off its trajectory and onyx got me again! Instead of more pain I suddenly felt weak and lethargic.

[Eight Dance: Dawn's Death] [Heaven's Fall: War]

There it is! I parried the Blood-Soaked Oni's strike and managed to kick him. Sending him flying backward

I dashed toward Onyx who was still recovering, by the time I reached him he had thrust out in a last-ditch effort to strike me in the chest. Knowing he would do this I grab the blade, redirecting it then slashing down with my sword. I cut him across the chest. It was an awkward slash so it wasn't deep but it was enough.

"It's time to end this!" I shouted

[Heaven's Fall: Ragnarok] [Ninth Dance: Dying Eclipse]

What?! I didn't think he'd have one more technique!

Our sword struck each other my shining blade versus his crimson glowing blade in the bind. The ground under us gave way forming a crater. But his sword's glow was starting to dim under the pressure. With gritted teeth I redouble my strength, putting everything I have into this strike. The ground beneath us blew out, chunks of rock and stone flying.

"Don't give up on me Ruby, if you need strength I'll give it to you!" Onyx said, then an unfamiliar crimson magic circle appeared and... something, came from Onyx to his sword's ruby. The sword burst with intense light and with a scream Onyx overpowered my sword and cut in half! Onyx's blade swung toward my mark. I closed my eyes as there's nothing I can do but accept death.

I was flung back so strongly I flew through the cities wall and all went dark

______________________

Onyx POV

Saved at the last second, huh?

I looked over to see an elf woman with a fucking magicite crystal! She held it in one hand and a white staff with an ice crystal in the other. She wore a red dress and had long blond hair. She had cast a shield just in time to block my last strike.

The other S rank adventurer group was here, The Slayers, just my luck. I was in no condition to fight anymore.

"That's a terrible lightning storm, what do you think the cause is, M'vera?" Their leader, the one with the dragon skull helm, said

"I have no idea, Cevil, but this night is one filled with impossibilities. That light, the divine intervention, and now the hero being bested in one on one combat."

"But now that's he's weakened we should be able to take him down right? All of us together should be equal to a hero" Cevil said.

I doubt there's anything I can say to avoid this fight, and I can't delay any longer.

I settle into a stance ready to fight to the death if need be. In response, the five-man group did the same. There was a tense moment of silence, the only sound was that of the drenching rain. Even the lightning seemed to have died down.

Just then a lightning bolt struck the ground in between me and the adventuring group, blinking out the light from my eyes I saw Usagi standing there, looking unharmed. Usagi turned toward me with a knowing and confident look. How had that beast bested the heaven's guardians, yes he is an S rank monster but jackalopes are generally low tier monsters to begin with. An S tier adventuring group should be able to at least wound him.

I honestly thought Usagi would run away after stalling the other adventuring group, did he win? Judging from the thunder it was a fierce battle. Wait... since when can S tier monsters summon storms? Now that I think about it, the Lightning lord has always been a jackalope, whereas other lords generally live for a decade before being slain. Is Usagi an S tier monster?

"Hey, Isn't that The Lightning Lord?" M'vera said. "Does that mean Lilly is nearby?"

"How do you know her?" I ask.

"Why do you care!" M'vera snarled.

"None of your business" I replied.

Usagi looked in the direction of Lilly and nodded toward me. I understand. There is no more time and only I can save Lilly. I sheathe Ruby.

"What's the big deal? Scared of us or that S rank monster?" Cevil taunted

"Why should I be scared of him? You, however, should be" I retorted

"Huh?" With a howl, fury rained down upon the adventurers who could barely respond in time.

I didn't stay to hear any further. Dashing forward to Lilly I pick her up. Lilly wasn't doing too well. She was even paler than she was previously and her heartbeat is almost undetectable. I run into the city as lighting and spells flew around in Usagi's battle. The guard noticed me too late as I cast my spell to drain his vitality and transfer it to Lilly. It was a slow process and the other guards rushed to attack my, as I was about to attack a stray lightning bolt struck one of them and arced to the rest. Was it a stray bolt of lightning? Is Usagi watching out for me and Lilly while fighting?!

The guard Usagi struck doesn't seem to be dead, just unconscious. So I use this opportunity to take all their vitality to help heal Lilly. Seven lives so far and Lilly is still suffering from Mana Shock?!

Life demands death. Not all lives are equal, though, and so I walk further into town everyone was shut in their homes. Easy pickings. In total it took sixty-two people to fully heal Lilly. Did it need to be that many? No, Lilly would have recovered with just around fifty, but these worthless Thymians can be made useful in preventing months of suffering for Lilly.

Wasn't her name Ruby? I could be pretty sure that was her name, either way, it doesn't matter, I won't let my daughter die again!

 

 

The Next chapter will be in Usagi's POV from this event. I know the MC hasn't had much screen time in the past few chapters and sadly she won't get any in the next two chapters but I promise she'll start getting more after this introductory arc which ends in two chapters. I've already started the next arc which will expand more on calamities and other more powerful beings that sequester themselves away from the world.

17