2.21.2 – Into the Society
1.7k 22 86
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2.21.png

2.0 - Edited by: Rellawing, AlliterativeArts - 11/25/2020

 

As the two flew over the city of Ottawa, Canada’s capital, they swept playfully among the buildings, enjoying each other’s company. Aurora’s joy and dancing mid-air was so infectious even the customarily dour and serious Mistral was laughing at her silly antics, such as shaping the clouds into funny and irregular shapes. Mistral wasn’t as agile a flier as her companion, so Aurora had a bit of fun cutting through her wind-wake to practice.

 

Finally, they arrived at their destination, landing on the roof of the Clubhouse building. Mistral’s expression became serious again when she produced a small driver’s license-sized card from her robes and held it up to the door. A beam of light scanned both the card and her at the same time.

 

“MISTRAL PLUS GUEST,” a mechanical genderless voice observed.

 

“Yes, plus guest, authorization lambda-seven-echo-omicron,” Mistral supplied, and they waited a moment.

 

“CODE RECOGNIZED; BIOMETRICS VERIFIED. WELCOME TO CLUBHOUSE THREE,” the electronic voice declared. The door shimmered and took on a sleek futuristic-style appearance, the smooth steel sliding panel doors parting in the center with a whoosh, revealing what appeared to be a normal stairwell inside.

 

The two walked in together and down several flights of these stairs. Eventually, they reached another sliding door which opened to reveal a shiny lounge-like area with comfy-looking chairs, an entertainment center, a kitchenette and several doors. Mistral stretched a hand before them and made a sweeping motion as if to introduce the place.

 

“This is Clubhouse Three. It’s like my second, more public, sanctum in that it’s connected to the Headquarters of the Society. However, this particular teleportation lane is inefficient and slow in that you can go up to four at a time, but it takes an hour to recharge. Also, to use it more frequently would reveal its location if anyone scrutinized the power usage in this area, so we’re careful to restrain ourselves.”

 

“This place is really cool!” Aurora giggled, looking around at how amazing everything furnishing the clubhouse was. It was well appointed and fit to dazzle a middle-class girl like Leona; plush and everything very expensive-looking. She’d never been in such a high-end space. This was a real penthouse! 

 

“Everything looks so fun!” Aurora squeed. “Does everyone just relax here together?” She flitted around with a big smile, checking everything in minutiae. She looked out the windows and gaped. “Wow, Ottawa sure looks different from my home city, San Isidro! My town’s super Gothic and Victorian-looking! And it’s even different from Seaside City! That city’s so technological and bright. And Ottawa looks sooo… European! Were those castles I saw on the way in?” Aurora continued to excitedly peruse literally everything. When she got excited and used her wings to rocket herself around, she disturbed the contents of the large bookshelf, but thankfully nothing did more than rattle or shift a few inches from their original positions. Aurora blushed and focused more on what she was doing, moving her wings in ways that wouldn’t knock anything over while still giving her the advantage of higher mobility.

 

Mistral giggled as she watched, arms crossed beneath her breasts. “Nice save. Yes, there are castles here. They tend to be governmental buildings nowadays, but if you ever come as a tourist someday, there’s a hotel. You’re mostly familiar with the Gothic-styles of buildings?”

 

“That’s true.” Aurora nodded. “I am. I guess the buildings in San Isidro are kinda like castles if you close one eye and squint real hard.” She laughed. 

 

The angel-girl next turned her flighty attention to a huge ultra-thin television set which was connected to some kind of a curious machine. It was the machine that caught her eye most, though she calculated how awesome gaming or just watching things would be on such a monster of a tv! She squatted down and examined the curious appliance she’d never seen even online. It wasn’t like any entertainment or game console she’d ever seen, with eighteen USB ports in its front with familiar ports from every popular console’s cartridge ports. Some kinda superhero tech genius must have created this Frankenstein’s Monster of a thing. 

 

“I didn’t know the Sentinels were video game junkies.” Aurora flashed Mistral a sunny grin. So many playful schemes danced through Aurora’s mind!

 

“Haha… they aren’t really, but sometimes they do fool around in their downtime.” 

 

Taking on a light-hearted and affected air, Mistral proceeded to list off features of the space like a realtor, “There are enough sleeping quarters here to accommodate all the main members at any given time, so there’s usually a few open. They’re all the same and aren’t decorated specially. Of course, the amenities include a reinforced and soundproofed gymnasium, bathrooms, and even a swimming pool, maintained by the robotic butler system.”

 

She paused a beat before continuing a bit more bashfully, “You probably don’t need to know this, but I’ve made a few meals here. The kitchenette has all the latest and greatest appliances and then some. If you want to hang out here, we can.” Mistral put a hand on Aurora’s shoulder. “It may look late out there, but you’ve still got at least an hour on the West Coast to get back. Whatever you want to do, there’s a secure phone line here for if you want to talk to your mother.”

 

Aurora smiled and nodded. “That sounds great. If you wanted to show me all those things, I’d love it. I can ask her to stay longer, even to stay the night. I’ve never had a sleepover like ever ever-ever!” The Angel laughed eliciting a chuckle from Mistral. “We normally do have a curfew, but she’d be happy if I explained things. Goonie’s a wonderful person. The best mom I could ever ask for. And my sis, I never had a real one. She’s a little crazy sometimes, well, maybe a bit more than sometimes, but they always say my presence in the family helps bring out the best in her, and she’s really great too in her own way.” Aurora thought about how she was talking so much about herself. “Do you have any family too?”

 

“Not anymore,” Mistral replied sheepishly. “My father gave his life to prevent an extra-dimensional invasion and my mother died when I was younger. It’s nice to see that you have a caring family, however.”

 

Mistral walked across the room towards a huge door that was marked ‘HQ.’

 

“I figured you’d be more interested in going to the Society HQ than just a silly clubhouse. Since you’re such a fan and all.” Mistral said with upturned corners of her mouth. “Don’t think I’m trying to get rid of you though, I’ve been enjoying spending time with you, Leona. And don’t worry, I’ll call you Aurora while we’re there.” She winked.

 

Aurora nodded. “I appreciate that, Mistral. Before that, um... your father sounds like he was a very admirable man. A true hero. I envy you for that. Mine was mean and abusive… I don’t think he could stand how loud I was.” Leona smiled wryly. “You’re always welcome to visit my place too, by the way. I just wanted to get all that out.” 

 

Aurora looked at the door and nodded. “Calling Goonie can wait until a bit later. I doubt she’d be upset with me, knowing how serious this business is.” She looked back at Mistral. “Spending time with you is like a dream come true. I could happily sit around and do nothing but talk with you and look at you and for hours on end. I hope that doesn’t sound weird.” Leona blushed. 

 

“But I’ve been beating around the bush here.  To answer your question, introductions are important and I really want to join the Society, and I really want everyone to know they can count on me. Thanks for keeping my secrets.” Aurora smiled and made a fist for a fist-bump. It misfired and one of Mistral’s eyebrows rose. The angel went on, “And, that communicator you mentioned sounds super-handy to have. I set up a fake email address for talking with the police, but my Detective friend, Kirby, knew it’d hurt me eventually if we kept using that method.”

 

“Fresh on the scene and already buddies with a policeman.” Mistral laughed and tousled Aurora’s hair affectionately. “On a serious note, let’s not waste any more time.” 

 

She slid open the door to reveal what Aurora could only see as one of those teleporter rooms straight out of science fiction TV. It was compact, but had the same circular crystalline platforms straight out of what she’d seen. Leona’s jaw dropped. “All the writers and fantasizers weren’t far off from reality! Wow! It all came true!” The angel bounced around the room, having an existential epiphany.

 

Mistral stepped up and giggled, holding up an arm. “C’mon, Aurora.” She gestured and a burst of air filled her wings, pulling Aurora to her. Mistral put an arm around her waist and spoke with a slightly predatory smile, “Teleport. Main. Authorization: Mistral Lambda-Seven-Echo-Omicron.”

 

Aurora blushed and waited, looking around. Nothing happened yet. 

 

The computer replied, “COUNTERSIGN: SEVEN-PHI-THREE.”

 

Aurora waited more. Still nothing happened. Her head tilted.

 

“Mistral, Nine-Phi-One!” Mistral finished the sequence and there was a whirring noise behind the walls followed by a weird field effect surrounding them. 

 

“COUNTERSIGN ACCEPTED. TELEPORTATION IN THREE SECONDS. PLEASE REMAIN STILL.”

 

“Here we go!” Mistral remained stock still, so Aurora obeyed the computer and instantly followed suit.

 

There was a rising sense of oppression as the field intensified and they started feeling the machine affecting their bodies. There was a loud thundering boom and the surroundings changed. 

 

So much for that jingly mechanical sound. The real science was really LOUD!

 

The pair now found themselves in a larger and more tech-y-looking room.

 

“Welcome to Society main, Mistral and Guest,” a soft voice spoke.

 

After a moment, Aurora beheld the owner of the voice. It was a powerfully-built man in a dark matte bodysuit with a belt, wristbands and ankle cuffs. Aurora knew this man. Her eyes widened.

 

It was Midnight Avenger. He stood in the doorway, as though he was expecting them. He dropped into a fighting stance and pulled some throwing spikes from his belt. Aurora’s eyes widened even more and she squeaked.

 

“Mistral, are you compromised? What are you doing with Black Angel?” he asked gruffly.

 

Mistral held her hands up. “Calm down, Avenger,” she said. “This is a new heroine who I’m introducing to the Society. Her name is Aurora.” She stepped in front of Aurora, spreading her arms.

 

Midnight Avenger scowled. “Well, she’s lost her dark hue at least,” he said, dourly. 

 

After a moment after meeting eyes with Mistral, he nodded to her, relaxing very slightly. “I assume you’re going to the hub. You’ll understand if I accompany you.” That was less a request and much more a command spoken in his quiet voice.

 

Mistral shrugged. “If that’s what you want, Avenger. It’s your headquarters, after all.”

 

“Not mine. I just happened to be here when you teleported in. Your so-called friend here triggered a yellow alert.” That explained why he was waiting in ambush.

 

“I'm sorry for the trouble, sir.” Aurora smiled. “It’s a pleasure to meet you. I haven’t followed you as avidly as I have Mistral, but I’m still awed by your presence.” She flashed a happy smile at him. Even if he was cold and aloof, that was classic Midnight Avenger to a tee. Aurora was quite pleased with herself to have suppressed any squee’ing to that point. A man like him was not one should squee at. First impressions, first impressions.

 

But being happy wasn’t against the rules! It was so difficult enough not to geek out super-hard.

 

“Cute,” he commented tersely. Also classic Midnight Avenger. The geek just smiled more. “Let’s go then.” Avenger grunted.

 

Mistral took the young heroine’s hand again, really took her hand, and pulled her after the Avenger as they walked through the halls of the headquarters. Leona did her best not to squee more but a bit did slip out. There were paintings and depictions of the Society of Sentinels’ main hall, and here she was! Kyaaaaaaaa! 

 

Aurora went into sensory overload when Bombshell, who she’d shook hands with back at Justicon, suddenly appeared. Not only that, she BARRELED around the corner and caught sight of the three, coming to an abrupt stop.

 

“Hey, who’s that? What’s up, Emm-Ayy? I thought there was a Yellow?” she asked. Apparently she’d come ready for a fight. Whew!

 

“You’re looking at the Yellow.” Midnight Avenger pointed directly at Aurora, who blushed and fidgeted on the spot. She’d have clasped her hands in front, but Mistral had one already firmly in her grasp.

 

Bombshell raised an eyebrow and said, “Huh? We’re calling a yellow alert for sexy costumes now? Do I get a red alert for mine? Oh, and hey, Missy!” She grinned at Mistral. 

 

Bombshell was athletic-looking and voluptuous. She had the body proportions of a fitness model while having the strength to bend steel alloy. She tended to be a bit course and direct, jumping at the chance to show off how tough she was. Her favorite costume was a gunmetal grey leotard with an old-style WW2 Bomb of silver inlaid on her midriff. She had silver accents at her neck area and on her hips and crotch. She wore stylized gauntlets and sabatons with a visor-style mask that covered her eyes with polarized angular lenses.

 

“Hiya Shelly,” Mistral replied. “This is a new heroine, Aurora. From San Isidro, actually.”

 

“Ah… just like Aguila, eh?” Bombshell smiled. “You joining up then?” she turned her attention to Aurora.

 

“We’ll see,” Avenger replied for Aurora. 

 

Well, that was a little mean, but still classic Midnight Avenger!

 

That didn’t stop Aurora from speaking for herself, though, “I’d very much love to!” Her tone oozed out her geek-self. 

 

She enthused a little for having met Bombshell face to face even if the bombastic heroine wasn’t this Angel’s number one favorite heroine. She certainly wouldn’t say that! Aurora blushed. “I saw you at the convention a ways back with Dragonmage! You were the first supers I ever saw in person!” Aurora walked to Bombshell, putting on her best starry-eyed smile. “Mistral has been and always will be my absolute favorite! My idol.” She turned and beamed at Mistral who was still anchoring her by a hand. “But I follow you too, Bombshell. I always thought your kind of power was ideal. Upfront, honest always. Up in people’s faces, never holding back with her punches.” Leona grinned.

 

“Haha, great!” The golden-blonde heroine smiled as she posed for Aurora. “Glad I could inspire you,” she said. “Well, let me think… that was back during the last Justicon… I don’t remember seeing you there at all. Wings are pretty memorable things.”

 

“Right!” Aurora nodded. “But I don’t always look like this. Now that my secret identity is protected, I don’t want to go into details… but I was very happy to meet you, oh, and I am now too.”

 

“‘Protected’, eh? Nice!” Bombshell nodded. “So why the Yellow, Emm-Ayy? She seems harmless.”

 

“Does she not look like anyone you know?” Midnight Avenger suggested.

 

“I dunno… a girl?” Bombshell asked.

 

Midnight Avenger looked like he wanted to groan slightly, but his expression barely changed. “She’s a direct physical match for Black Angel.”

 

“Isn’t she dead?” Bombshell blinked. “Didn’t she die fighting you, Missy?”

 

“Yeah,” Mistral said wistfully. “It was the only way.”

 

“I wouldn’t worry about it,” Bombshell replied. “That twat was a grade-A-bitch. Thought she was God’s gift to everyone.”

 

“Enough chatter,” the Midnight Avenger growled. “Move along,” he waved as he barked the order, adding, “Bring up the rear, Bombshell.”

 

As they walked by, Bombshell put her hands on her hips and partook of her favorite pastime, making fun of the Avenger. She flew over them rather than falling in like some kind of a faithful soldier. Midnight Avenger didn’t respond to her antics. 

 

Seeing this sort of behavior, maybe first impressions wouldn’t be too hard to nail. 

 

After some time she gave up and landed behind them, walking casually at the rear. “Don’t worry,” Bombshell whispered, “he’s usually only here when he needs the oversized backup key for all his clocks.”

 

Aurora giggled softly and whispered back, “Hey, exactly where are we now? We were just in the capital city of Canada before beaming here!” She looked back and forth between the two heroines. They were somewhere else in the world, but no one knew the actual position of the Sentinel’s main base except for them. 

 

Mistral squeezed her hand. “Don’t ask that just yet,” she said softly.

 

Bombshell shrugged. “Nah, it’s fine, we’re--”

 

“Not yet,” the Midnight Avenger barked. “Just a little further.”

wingsbreak.png

86