3.07 – Unexpected friendship
1.2k 21 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aurora grinned a little, thinking for a moment. “I may be involved with someone, but that doesn’t mean I can’t have a dance with other people now and again.”  She stood and walked around the table, extending her wrist to Valerie.

 

“Would you like to go to bat for the other team for the duration of a dance?” She laughed softly.

 

Valerie looked at her as she crossed around the table to her and looked at Aurora’s hand for a moment.  Finally she took her hand and with a grin, the superheroine pulled her to her feet.  “I don’t really do formal dances … just so you know.”

 

Aurora said nothing, continuing to smile.  She’d been taught this by Goonie when she was younger. When she had to go to a school dance, what she showed her was a slow waltz.  Quinn had shown her freestyle dancing, but given the music playing, the waltz seemed far more appropriate. She started leading Val in the waltz like her mom did for her.  She moved her around the balcony to the melody of the piano.  When they started to dance, a violin started playing in accompaniment with the complex melody.  She blushed more noticeably as she was led around the floor.  The steps were simple, but after a time, she added a spin or two, making it slightly more complex, but not so much that it would be overwhelming.

 

She teetered a little, showing the appreciable effect of the bubbly she’d had.  Finally she missed a step and stumbled.  Aurora reacted quickly and spun her again in a half-turn and she fell against Aurora’s.  Val gasped and looked up at her as Aurora waited for her to get her footing back.

 

She blushed and spoke, “Ah … s-sorry about that.” Her blushing was far more noticeable.

 

“No problem.” Aurora smiled confidently, enjoying all her cute blushes as they danced. She let the music play over her body like the moonlight.  The soft chiming of the piano paired with the cheerful violin was wonderful.  It was a different experience from Quinn’s raves, and Leona decided she liked it.  She was grateful that mom taught her how.  She didn’t think it was ever going to come in handy years ago, but she was thanking her for this moment.  Looking at it through the eyes of an adult instead of a child made a difference.

 

When the piano melody trailed off, Aurora slowed and backed off to a half-arm-length distance.  Valerie sighed almost too soft to hear and took a deep breath. Val spoke, “That … was unexpected.  I think I need a little more of a drink after that …” she added, pulling a hand away to pour another few sips of champagne into her glass.  “Honestly, there were a few times I couldn’t believe my feet were still on the ground,” she said with a slightly nervous chuckle.

 

Aurora laughed softly. “That might have actually happened … I can lift things with my aura.  If I got caught carried away by the music, there are times really where I don’t even need my wings to take off.  Who knows, maybe you really were dancing on air with me for a time.  I certainly felt the same.  The feel of it was a bit like flying. There’s something about the piano and violin music, this balcony and that moon.” Aurora gestured softly towards the starry-painted canvas above.

 

“It must be amazing to actually fly,” Val said with a grin, taking another sip. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t be wasting your time like this,” she said softly, “I’ll continue in a moment.”

 

“It’s no problem.” Aurora smiled. “I’m making a very important friend tonight.  That’s never a waste of time.” She winked, smiling a touch mischievously then. “We’re not parting ways yet, but how would you like to leave the most grand way? I could fly you around a little bit if you’d like.  I could even fly you home, which might not be a bad idea after all the fun and drinks.” She chuckled.

 

Val’s little stutter was really cute. “Ah … s-sure.” She pulled away further and took a seat, sitting back in her chair, starting to swipe through a few screens on her tablet.  “OK … back to the interview ... “ She took a couple of quick deep breaths and her face shed some of the wonderment as she assumed her business face again.

 

“Okay … so … um … Are you concerned that your home of San Isidro was not able to get its Code: Blue section approved? Have you worked with the Seaside City police department at all to get its Code: Blue section up and running?”

 

“Hmmm-- These are far tougher questions.” Aurora smiled wryly. “The fact of the matter is I did introduce myself to Seaside City’s Code: Blue representative, not that she called herself that at the time.  Detective Ruffino and I didn’t really get on well.  You asked if I had any enemies or rivals earlier.  She’s not either one of those things, but she’s made it clear that she doesn’t approve of superheroes in general, despite her post.” Aurora looked up at the sky again thoughtfully as she traced connections between the stars above. “She doesn’t like me, you see.  That’s fine, it’s her choice, honestly. She can have any opinion she likes.  It’s a free country. But, because of that bias, I don’t think I would be able to work well with her when my good friend Detective Kirby over in San Isidro appreciates my presence and involvement.  The work itself I do there.”

 

Aurora took the last sip from her ignored glass of champagne. “Perhaps his not getting the funding for Code: Blue is due to whatever reason they might have for inconveniencing and making our jobs harder, the people less safe because of it.  But you know, teamwork is key as the Sentinels say.  And our teamwork is very good.  For the good of the citizens of Seaside City…” She looked down into Val’s eyes.  “I would be willing to work with Detective Ruffino to get her Code: Blue actually running.  I don’t know if she would go for it, though.”

 

Val considered a moment and responded slowly, “Those are some pretty direct statements about Detective Ruffino, Aurora.  Do you think she would sabotage herself just to spite you because of this dislike?”

 

Aurora smiled slightly. “No, I don’t think that.  Not really.  What I think is that she would dislike working with me specifically.  Because of her viewpoints I would dislike working with her.  It’s not my intention to make statements about her beyond what I’ve observed of her stance and opinions concerning superheroes in general.  She was very vocal about how unnecessary she feels we are when we parted ways the first and perhaps last time.” She shrugged.

 

“Can I quote any of that?” Valerie asked with a returned shrug.

 

“You can quote my opinion about her lack of symmetry. Even that she stated that meta involvement was unnecessary in Seaside which is not just speculation.  I want to make it very clear that I have nothing against Detective Ruffino, but I haven’t made a good impression on her, and it’s somewhat mutual.”  Aurora laughed softly.

 

“Okay, now … just a few more questions, Aurora.  First, what do you think about perennial outlaw Cheshire? Hero or Villain?”

 

 

Cheshire had always been one of Quinn’s favorites, because she was mouthy and had a spotty reputation.  Several online sources had posted evidence that she hadn’t ever committed most of the crimes she was accused of.  Hero fans generally saw her as a hero, if a bit anarchic.

 

Aurora smiled. “I’ve never met her personally. I can only draw opinions on what I’ve heard and read. Based on this, I’ve heard that she gets a worse rap than she deserves most times.  I’m grateful that I don’t have her problems at the moment.” Her smile widened into a grin.

 

“I think she has as much heroic potential as any Sentinel does.  But maybe the right opportunities haven’t come her way yet. I don’t know, though.”

 

“Second question,” Val started moving on to another question. “There are some people who claim that a super hero will just bring super criminals here … do you think you’re causing more danger or harm by being here, or do you think your help is worth the risk?”

 

Aurora laughed wryly. “Another hard question.  No one can really know the future unless that’s your power.  I can only say this: The Padua Realignment Camp would have continued abusing its children for who knows how long if I hadn’t been here to start the investigation.  That doesn’t mean that some other hero or person might not have come along and picked up on it, but we really can’t know.”

 

She frowned and continued, “there was a man the other morning who made the mistake of touching some strange artifact and it turned him into a monster. If I hadn’t been around he might not have been stopped before he did a great deal of unintended damage.  He might have been stopped, but it probably would have ended with a sad death, or many more.  That doesn’t mean that another hero or other capable person might not have wandered across its path and figured out the puzzle, but we really can’t know.”

 

Val tapped at her tablet quickly, keeping up with her, so after a glance, Aurora spoke further, “There are a lot of things that have happened that would have happened without my presence.  Blue Max for instance.  Oh sure, I put away his men, but he already had the armor.  It was only a matter of time.  All the threats would have occurred.  It’s possible that the presence of a superhero in a city may have an impact on the events that happen, but my final answer is that it is worth the risk.  I intend to be confident and as capable as I can be so I can properly serve these cities.”

 

Val smiled and nodded. “Rest assured a lot of people believe in you, Aurora.  Alright, I think this next question is probably the most pressing on people’s minds. Of the supervillains you’ve fought, do you have a rival or an arch-villain, yet?  We only know about Ice Psycho (The moniker given to the poor kid who never really was a villain, and yet, who knew what he would do after the influence of Xevolve had worked out of his system. Supposedly, he was detoxified, but she hadn’t heard much about his case since.), Blue Max, and Vulkraken … (The moniker given to the temporary villain who was cursed by the medallion he stole)”

 

Aurora smiled. “Ice Psycho as you term him was never actually a villain.  Only a victim.  I’d be surprised and sad if I ever met him again under bad circumstances.  Blue Max did swear vengeance, maybe.  He might think of himself as my first rival, but no offense to him, I don't think of him that way.  Vulkraken … hah … that’s a cute name they gave him, but he’ll not likely ever reappear unless someone else gets cursed.” She giggled.

 

“That guy didn’t choose the power himself, and it wasn’t his.  He was burning alive in all those thrashing tentacles.  Just another victim and not a villain.  So, no. Like I said earlier, there is no rival.  I hope it stays that way.” She laughed. “I don’t intend to try to fool myself that it won’t happen someday, but it’ll be nice if people can understand that I only want to protect the people.”

 

Val noted this, finishing moments after she finished typing and looked up at Aurora. “Okay, this is the last question.  Who’s the one person you would like to spend a day with, real or fictional, and why?” She grinned.

 

The most important question, surely.  Aurora laughed aloud at hearing it. It was like something one of her friends at school would ask.  “Oooooh… cute, but also tough.  There’s a lot of things I could say in response, but most of those answers would probably compromise my secret identity.” She smiled. “Since I can’t be completely honest with my answer on that last question, I’ll have to decline answering it.  There are two people right now that ‘d love to spend a day with, and that’s all I can say.” She zipped her lips pretty much.  One might say Sarah, but she deeply missed Quinn.  She came to mind.  It would be nice to see her, and sooner or later she’d have to fly south, she was just worried that something would happen in her absence.  She also thought of Mistral, and missed her daily.  The last time she’d seen her was around two weeks.  Not seeing her for a while made her feel a little melancholy at times.

 

“Okay then,” Val said with a smile. “In that case the interview is completed, unless there’s anything you want to say.  Any speech you think you’d like to add on, or anything like that ... I’m a little surprised actually that they’d just give you a bottle of champagne … and it’s good stuff too.”

 

As they talked, the waiter walked up and cleared his throat.  “Is there anything else Mesdames would like?” he asked with a slight bow.

 

Aurora stood and walked over to him. “No, we’re content.  This was a wonderful evening.” She smiled warmly. “I appreciate the generosity and the kindness of the Oceana Ballroom and its management altogether.”

 

He nodded and spoke, “Please let us know if there’s anything else we can get you.” He took a step back again.

 

Valerie nodded. “Well, I understand.  Is this the first place you’ve been to as … Aurora? This is off the record.  I mean, your heroic self.  You’re only the second hero from this area, and after the scandal with Blaze Falcon …”

 

Aurora considered the question, recalling the ‘scandal’ she was referring to.  He was a small-time hero who was almost immediately snatched up by the Sentinels for their program, and he claimed to be from Seaside and disavowed involvement or origins in San Isidro.  When it came out he was from San Isidro, he’d already changed his name to El Aguila De Oro (The Golden Eagle.)  The police had a problem, and it was clear from how they treated Aurora when she was first introduced to Kirby.

 

Val continued, “... you’re admitting that you’re from the area and staying here.  Plus, you’ve been very visible and there are still a few people who are claiming you’re from Seaside instead.  Even though the majority of your work is over in San Isidro.”

 

Aurora nodded and walked back to Valerie.  “The first place … the first social place?  I suppose. I’m aware of El Aguila’s scandal.  I’ve never met him, but as you know, there’s a stigma attached to the people of San Isidro. Seaside is the good side of the tracks, and San Isidro the ‘bad’.  I’m not bothered by where I came from.  I think it speaks well for me as a hero.  San Isidro needs me more than Seaside City does. Prestige or whatever really doesn’t matter.  The police in San Isidro were a little leery of me at first understandably, but I think they’re coming to know and respect me.  Being visible is a large part of being a paragon like Vanguard.  He’s probably the most open and visible hero.  It’s harder to win the trust of others when you hide or appear to be dishonest.  You may have people shouting you down for being a ‘goody two shoes’, or whatever else.  I don’t mind if people think of me as being from Isidro.  Being a good person is what matters most, no matter where you came from.” Aurora smiled.

 

Valerie thought about it and nodded. “I’d say that’s probably part of the problem of a heroine like Cheshire… the issue she has, that is. Her local media seems to hate her. I guess she doesn’t really have the opportunity to be as visible or transparent despite the good she’s done.” She shrugged.

 

“It’s a shame you can’t tell me about your special people,” Valerie said. “I have to say I’m interested in how you treat them after the way you’ve treated me tonight. I bet you’re a sweet romantic type.” She chuckled.

 

Aurora blushed after saying that. “I may not have any enemies right now, but releasing information about one’s special people is a good way to get them hurt or killed,” she said wryly. “Was that one off the record too?” She asked with a smile.  “I think you’re right about Cheshire, though. Are you a fan?”

 

Valerie considered the question, “I think anyone who doesn’t dislike her enjoys her crime fighting exploit stories.” She shrugged. “And yes, this is all off the record. The interview’s been over for a while as far as I’m concerned.  I’m not recording anything you’re saying now, and it will remain between us unless you say otherwise.” She lifted her tablet from the table and put it into the clutch pouch of her purse.

 

“I’m not going to pry.” She smiled. “Especially after this surprising treatment, but if you want to talk I’m always interested in hearing news or rumors. Things I can investigate that might be of interest to you. Speaking of which, any superhero rumors you want to share with me? I confess that I’m shamelessly interested in gossip.” She giggled.

 

Aurora laughed with her. “Not much here. I mostly know what everyone else knows. If it’s harmless I might tell you something, though the privacy of my peers is very important.  I can tell you this, off the record.  This is the finest establishment I’ve ever been to.  My girlfriend might be jealous.” She blushed and scratched her head.  “I’ll have to make it up to her and spend a night like this with her.  We usually do alright without fancy champagne and ballrooms.  I have to say that I like this more than I thought I would. The music.” She gestured.  The violin and piano were still playing merrily. “The ambiance.” She looked fondly at the moon again.

72