3.15 – Yuki-onna
1.1k 18 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aurora gasped and stumbled a bit when they stepped through the fire back into Mistral’s sanctum.  “That was amazing,” she said, dazed. “Are we out of the dream, or whatever? Is this inception?”

 

Mistral laughed softly, panting herself. “Yes, we are. I didn’t think I’d be able to do that to Rosshossho,” she said, “I was afraid that he would actually hurt me. Thank you for being there to support me.” She looked at Aurora seriously. “If you hadn’t been there with me, I may have been tempted into …” She started to sniffle. “...... into losing another person I love …”

 

Aurora sighed and touched her love’s cheek, stroking it gently. “But that didn’t happen. I’m glad I could be here for you.  Even though I think you would have had the strength no matter if I was here. You’re my hero, after all.” She blushed and winked, hugging her beloved.

 

“Mmmmm, Aurora ... “ She hugged Aurora back and nuzzled her cheek, squeezing tightly.  She held the embrace for a long moment, which actually were minutes, but as all good things must end, she loosened it. “We should probably get looking for Snow Witch … as much as I’d like to spend the night with you.” She smiled.

 

“Mmmm, that would be nice,” Aurora murmured softly, wiggling at the thought of snuggling with her again.  “But now’s a good time. Hopefully we’ll be able to handle her.  I wonder if she has a vendetta because of the spirits you’re tethered to?”

 

“I can’t imagine if that’s the case, given her random attitude … but it’s possible.” Mistral shrugged. “Are you ready to go back, now? Actually, let’s make a plan here first.  I’m thinking maybe … no, on the second thought, let’s just find her.”

 

Aurora laughed softly. “If we do find her, you’ll definitely go head to head with her.  I’ll help, though I don’t have any weather spells like you do.  It’ll probably come down to the two of you, but I can tell that my powers make me a bit immune to the extreme freezing conditions caused by her powers.  Though, they might mess with my wings.”

 

Mistral smiled. “Then maybe you should stay here while I go fight her alone.” Mistral walked to the door and quickly opened and closed it after her.

 

Aurora chuckled, shaking her head. “As if.  That won’t happen.” She followed Mistral. She didn’t approve of how she’d made the decision spur of the moment like that, but there was absolutely no way she was just going to hang back when her girlfriend was in danger.  She would do everything she could.

 

Aurora stepped through the door into Mistral’s apartment, many miles away, or perhaps in another dimension.  “You know that I was thinking of cutting the anchor on that spell to keep you safe?” Mistral asked, her back to the angel.

 

But despite what she said, she was waiting for her.  “Oh, you’d really leave me stranded in your comfy lodge?” Aurora grinned. “Are you worried you might hurt me now that you’re back to your full power? I might be a bit of a rookie in the business, but I can carry my own weight.”

 

“Yeah …” Mistral replied, turning back to her loved one. “I don’t want her to hurt, you actually, Aurora.” She threw herself at Aurora and hugged her again.  She pulled her closer by her costume and kicked the door closed, looking into her eyes. “I care for you too much to ask you to fight her with me. At least until I know that I’ll be able to hold my own at this point.”

 

Aurora hugged her back and spoke, “Please care enough to not leave me out of things. Anyways, it would have just been a setback. I can fly REALLY fast as you know, unless that sanctum is in another world, that is. That could be really annoying.” She laughed and nuzzled and kissed Mistral.

“Being a superhero means taking risks.  Besides that, I want to protect you,” Aurora murmured.

 

Mistral took her hands and stepped back a touch and looked into Aurora’s violet eyes.  “I know you’re still young, really … but if you really feel this way, I won’t hold you back, and I’ll even ask if you want to hear my strategy.  I acted like I had no plan. Do you want to hear it?”

 

“I’d love to know it.” Aurora nodded, looking firmly back into her icy blue eyes. 

 

“Since you glow like crazy … I was thinking maybe you should be the distraction.  I can use my   skills to hide my position in the blizzard she creates and sneak up on her.  Would you be willing to be my bait? Or is that too dangerous like I thought when I decided to leave you out.”

 

Aurora grinned, giving her a thumbs up. “I can handle it.  Let’s do it!”

 

After a soft discussion about the plans, the two prepared and they looked out the window.  There was an intense blizzard building outside again.

 

“It looks like she’s up to her usual tricks, not that I know her well enough yet.” Mistral laughed. “I wish I had asked more questions about her to discover any possible weaknesses she has … but I think just going out to attack might work out.” She looked to Aurora from the window and said, “Stay in contact with your communicator, and I’ll locate you when you signal me.  Anything you want to do before you go?”

 

Mistral headed into her kitchen and started a kettle on low heat. “When we get back… this is a promise that we’ll return before the water boils off.” Mistral gestured. “We’ll have tea or hot chocolate together and celebrate our victory.  We’ll snuggle.”

 

Aurora grinned happily at her and nodded. “There’s nothing else I need, except for a kiss,” Aurora said and glomped her, giving her a very passionate kiss. When they finished, they were both overheated. “We’ll need all the extra heat we can get to fight this Witch.” She blushed and moved to leave, but Mistral took her wrist with a pink-stained smile.

 

“Mmmmm, if you get hurt out there, not only am I going to say, ‘I told you so,’ I’m also going to strap you down and nurse you back to health, and you’ll have to explain that to your mom.” She winked.

 

Aurora laughed and Mistral let go of her wrist.  She left the apartment and charged off into the sky.  She wanted to be visible, so she put on her aura for defensive purposes, but also to make her appear more incandescent.  Her inner light started to spread through the snow.  The whole region was set aflame practically with her brightness.  

 

As before, the cold couldn’t touch Aurora. She hovered and waited patiently, although she flew idly. She spun and charged high above the clouds and saw exactly what she did before.  The whole city was covered in the thick clouds.

 

“Jeez! You really are a one trick pony!” Aurora declared, hurling her insult into the storm surging below.  She danced in the air mockingly.  “Come out! Come out Yuki-Onna-chan!” she yelled.  “Or would you prefer Snow Witch, or maybe Snow White.  I don’t recall if you named yourself.” She grinned and flitted.

 

No answer came.  Aurora’s eyes narrowed and she plunged down into the sea of milling snowflakes and icy cold clouds.  She once again ignited the snow with ehr light and continued to call out.  The snow muffled her yells, so it wasn’t as effective of a way to lure her as her light.  Finally after nearly an hour of shining and yelling, she heard something faint.  It was the sound of an explosion.  She rocketed in that direction.  Several cars had crashed.  Flames spat from their hoods.  They lit the way a bit more, but Snow Witch was nowhere to be seen.  It was clear from the skid patterns that the cars hadn’t crashed due anything the drivers had done.

 

Aurora flew quickly in the direction that the skids came from.  It was the only clue she had currently.  “What’s your damage, Yuki-Onna? Why are you destroying a foreign city instead of Tokyo? Are their heroes too tough for you?  Did you think Western cities would fall easier?  Maybe you’re a sad little gamer, reeling about losing your last MOBA fights.  Are the people who beat you here?  I didn’t think Mistral did that, but it’d be hilarious if that explained your grudge.”

 

The Snow Witch finally seemed pissed off enough by what she was saying to act against her.  The winds around shifted and the flames below shifted their directions of waving.  A sudden deluge of hail balls struck her field.  Her opponent had underestimated her defense.  They did no damage, no more than a bullet.  She flitted around playfully and searched for where the hail wasn’t falling.  When she pulled out, she yelled, “Come out! Come out and play! Come out wherever you’re hiding, Yuki-chan!!!” She laughed.

 

“Over here,” The villain finally spoke.  Aurora turned her head and saw her.  She waved her hand in front of the flaming cars.  “What’s the matter? Is your friend still hurt and afraid of me?  Hah… all I get is some no-name hero.  Why don’t you come on over to me.” She gestured imperially. “Come and take me down if you think you’re even able.”

 

“You’re not going to add your name to your monologue?  That’s not how it’s done, Snow Witch.  Anyhow, it doesn’t matter.  You can think all you want of me, but where I come from, I’m THE hero.” She grinned. “Anyways, it doesn’t really matter.  Why don’t you tell me why you’re raging here?  Are you a lonely and sad spirit? Are you that violent nerd?  Or are you just a normal human being working with a spirit?”

 

“Why here, exactly? Granted that your English is great, we heard that you’re from Japan.  But I won’t assume.  Are you a local? Do you have a grudge here?”

 

Snow Witch blinked.  “Where exactly are you from?” she asked, tilting her head, “Podunk? Other parts unknown? Nowhere? A limbo?” After a pause she continued, “As though you couldn’t guess it.  Or are you just a complete moron? I want to prove who is the best weather witch in existence.  And since Mistral is the most well-known one, I’m here to defeat and HUMILIATE her! I’m going to beat her down and lock her in an ice crucifix … and I think I’ll be doing the same to you, glowbug.” She smirked.

 

Aurora smiled, shrugging. “Well, you’re definitely a local considering your language. It’s too full of slang.  I’m from San Isidro, California.  Sometimes I patrol Seaside City, but that’s not my home.  I just help out. So this is how to put it… some kind of penis measuring contest you’ve got going on here?”  Aurora thought about it, shaking her head. “Yeah, I think that’s what you’d call it.  What did she ever do to you, exactly? Just be alive and amazing? That she’s a hero? Since she has a reputation, it must be dragged through mud somehow? It’s clear that you don’t have any intention of using your power to help anyone but yourself.”

 

Snow Witch’s mouth tightened. “Once I defeat her, I’ll be able to do whatever I wish.  My reputation will be made, and I’ll make a living selling my services to the highest bidder.” Typical villain, really. Only thinking of money and fame.  “By the way, let me give you a hand …”

 

The Snow Witch gestured and she looked in the direction she was pointing to, but she didn’t see anything.  However, suddenly a huge hand made of pure ice fell onto her to crush her.  It was bigger than her by far.  Aurora pushed off the moment it touched her and dove straight to the ground, to beat it there.  She stayed just inches ahead of it and at the last minute, she turned, pulling out of the dive at nearly maximum velocity.  Shards of sharp ice skidded off her shield when it smashed to the ground.

 

Her enemy shrugged. “Huh … you’re faster than I thought.”

 

Aurora flitted up to eye level and face down with her. “Yup. I’m one of the fastest Sentinels probably.  And that leads me to what I was going to say before you started to try crushing me literally out of the blue, or the white.” Aurora smiled. “There are far more powerful Sentinels than I, with a lot more experience.  Even if you somehow beat me, Mistral would take you, and if she didn’t, you’d face Vanguard sooner or later, and he’d humble you.  I question your choice of a career, but I suppose it’s too late now. You’re guilty of destroying and probably killing.  “Since you want to fist people, why don’t we pump fists?” Aurora grinned.

 

She formed a large fist in the air from her halo and rocketed it at her.

 

The moment she generated the fist, the blizzard started to intensify around the two.  Snow Witch gestured, sending shafts of ice up from the ground.  Her fist struck the spikes.  The ice cracked, but held.

 

“If that was the best you could think to try, my turn.” She cackled and started forming swirling sharp shards of ice around Aurora.  The angel responded by flying above the clouds.

 

When she reached the top, she formed another construct around herself for additional defense.  But then she had a moment of epiphany. She formed it into a huge fist, around her.  She turned herself into a huge rocket punch, plunging back into the clouds.  It was a heck of a gambit, but she thought that like with the magic carpet, if she was in contact with the construct, it might have the power to burst through anything Yuki-Onna whipped up.  If that failed, she could at least resort to her concussive blasts.

 

As she charged down, ice shards started flying into her construct with enough force that they were actually starting to penetrate it.  The fist had become a spiky glaive.  The ice blocks came into sight and at the last moment, where the burning cars crackled and the flames licked the air, she stopped before the walls and with all the momentum she’d gathered, she sent the fist through.  The thick ice blocks shattered and her halo flew through.  She charged after it, fist first.  The fist sailed past Yuki-Onna, sending her hair flying as shards of ice flew, crashing through windows nearby.

 

Aurora mustered her concussive force and lashed out the moment her fist struck.  The Witch was sent flying down towards the pileup of burning cars.  She struck the wreckage and a car that hadn’t exploded already went off.

 

For a moment there was nothing, but then Yuki-Onna rose from the center of the pile and the flames died as she rose.  “Nice try … but it wasn’t enough!” she declared.

 

Snow Witch raised her arms and a bolt of lightning arced out from the sky and hit herself.  Her hair stood on end for a second before the force of the bolt knocked her into a building.

 

“URGHHHH!” Yoko-Onna stood and hissed, her legs twitching. “MISTRAL, you COWARD!” she hurled her rage at no one.  She looked around carefully through the swirling snow, seeing nothing.

 

Aurora let her fist construct dissipate, leaving a crater in the street.  The snow around it was a dirty slush.  She put her arms together and formed a double blast.  She unleashed a powered up blast right at the witch.

 

The blast struck her.  At the moment she flew back, she pulled her arms before her and formed an icy lens.  The light blast was deflected and her attack dissipated into a beautiful rainbow spectrum.  That moment, a gust of wind forced her out from behind the lens.  Aurora quickly fired off another powered blast at her as she attempted to slip out from their proverbial pincer maneuver.  Her attack struck her again, sent her skidding down the street, piling up the snow into a cul de sac.

 

“Agh! You fucking ch-cheaters!” She screamed, struggling to rise.  A gust of wind popped her into the air.

 

“Do you think so?” Aurora asked as she charged at her to finish the fight with a blow.  When she got there, she struck her firmly across her face and before she fell, she put a construction around her, forming it as something like a straightjacket for her whole body.  No treatment was more appropriate for insane villains.

 

Yuki-Onna was trapped.  It was impossible for her to make a move.  She hung in the air for a moment before Aurora dragged her over.  Snow Witch struggled and raged, but they had their villain, stopped cold.

 

Mistral stepped out from the blizzard and instantly the weather became more mild.

 

Snow Witch growled and snarled, her eyes glowing bright blue. The storm intensified again.  Mistral started gesturing, rising into the sky. “Aurora, she’s still messing with the weather.  Containing her isn’t enough.  I can keep it under control, but you need to knock her out!”

 

Suddenly another voice materialized. “Allow me!” Another feminine voice said. Suddenly, a figure in a red coat dashed onto the scene.  She had short blonde hair and thin glasses.  She looked like an otaku who idolized a certain gun toting anime protagonist. Like a female version in crossplay.  Aurora’s head tilted.  She produced her large gun and put it to Snow Witch’s head. “Bang.” She grinned.

58