4.15 – Extensive snark
831 21 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aurora winced, recoiling after hearing her dreaded name. 

 

“Ruffino. Ugh… she’s the only officer that’s openly hostile with me…” Aurora chuckled nervously.  “I like you way better, Detective Kirby.” She practically begged with her eyes not to have to talk to that woman ever again.

 

Kirby smiled slightly and Aurora sighed, muttering, “I suppose I could look into things a bit more over there…”

 

Kirby’s lips crinkled as he spoke, slapping one hand into the other with a slapping noise, “Oh… I remember her now. Marlene Ruffino.  Well, before you go poking around up there, let me throw out some feelers, unless you’re going to keep things quiet while you’re there. You’re not exactly the stealth-type, no offense.”

 

Aurora blushed, thinking. She knew that she was kind of blunt… and was very direct.  Not to mention, she glowed in the dark and during the day, she still managed to kinda shine.

 

“Okay, let me call them,” Kirby said dryly, “I’ll ask them if they have anything on Extensive Enterprises, and we’ll hold onto that bug you brought so thoughtfully to me.” He turned his eyes on the officers and spoke to them, “I’m heading up to my desk.”

 

His eyes rested on Aurora as he exited and headed for the stairs.  She followed as he continued, “Feel free to relax in the lounge if you’d like while I handle it.”

 

Aurora grinned a bit. “So quickly? Alright. I’ll relax for a few.” She focused on her wings to demonstrate her ability to be ‘stealthy.’  It wasn’t the first time she’d shown him this ability.  She shrank them and made them small to resemble the mock wings someone would find for sale at a convention.

 

She eyed the piles of papers on the desks they passed and she nodded to herself. It was the right call to shrink her wings. At least this way she wouldn’t knock things over with her fluffy wings.  Parting ways with Kirby when they neared the lounge, she got herself a drink from the vending machine inside as she took the opportunity to look around.

 

After getting a fizzy soda pop, she sipped it while she idly wandered the station, not settling for sitting idly in a break lounge.  She poked her nose into everyone’s business inquisitive as she sipped her drink and a few of the cops along the way greeted her pleasantly.

 

A couple of officers who were standing around looked at each other as she walked around and they approached her. “Since you’re touring the precinct, would you like a formal tour?” One grinned broadly.

 

“Sure! Sounds interesting! I never took the time to look at anything up close.” Aurora sipped her drink and the uniformed guy nodded as he gestured for him to lead.  She got a thorough tour, with him treating her as though she was a visiting official.  They escorted her through the jail cell rows and just as before, a few of the locked up criminals tried to hit on her, but the officers and she didn’t linger there.

 

They came to the main office where many officers worked, completing paperwork mostly.  Kirby entered the room with a smile and his grin faltered when the cops started whooping and razzing him.  They smiled at Aurora and waved to her when she entered, but since Kirby walked in their attitudes changed.

 

The officer who offered to give Aurora a tour spoke, “Hahahaha… I see you wanted to get involved with the tour we’re giving her.  Trust me, I ain’t interested in your girlfriend.”

 

The rest laughed, and they started making suggestive noises at him until Kirby blushed and waved them off dismissively with a sour expression.  “You guys got some serious work to do, so stop bothering us, huh? Be professional!”

 

They chuckled and nodded while Kirby firmly took Aurora’s hand and pulled her into his small office while shaking his head.  He was practically fuming with embarrassment.  Before the door closed, someone laughed. “His girlfriend. Ahahaha!  He’s not so hopeless, after all.”

 

Kirby glowered as he cursed. “Sorry about that. You don't deserve that kind of treatment. It’s kind of sexist.” He rolled his eyes. “Anyway, I talked to Seaside’s PD and found out that Extensive has nothing outstanding on them.  But on the upside, I got clearance to investigate them.  If you want, I’ll call their office on your behalf and get you some interview time. Otherwise, you don’t have to worry about Ruffino’s interference. I explained the matter to the chief over there and he said that he’ll make sure that we have their full cooperation. That’s nice.”

 

Aurora smiled brightly.  The situation in the office a moment ago was actually kind of amusing more than a nuisance, but then she wasn’t the one who was teased.

 

Aurora mused and tapped her chin thoughtfully as she said, “By and large, the officers in Seaside are really nice. Detective Ruffino’s kind of an exception to the rule.  She’s a bad nut in a bag of gourmet almonds.” She tilted her head. “I wonder why Extensive Enterprises would be involved with the acquisition of supervillain tech? It seems strange.  Shouldn’t they lock these things away safely? Isn’t it a bit risky to store giant robots so insecurely?… I don’t know… Wouldn’t it be better to put them in a titanium-lined vault?”

 

Kirby’s lips twisted. “It was probably not properly marked. Maybe it was lost in the paperwork and they were sent to that warehouse. Extensive may not even have known what they were getting, though my gut says they knew full well.  Anyway, any super-tech is valuable, you know? It’s usually way beyond what the normal folks have, which means a big advantage if they take it to the market. They may not have intended for a robot rampage to happen, but imagine if they could just scale them down to be… I don't know… saleable robot butlers or toys, or something…”

 

“If you could patent the energy broadcasting technology and make it work safely in a family home, maybe.” Aurora nodded. “It sounds pricey, though.”

 

Kirby sighed and shrugged. “Yeah. I’m no expert.” He dropped into his chair behind his desk and clasped his hands on his desk. “So what’s the story? You want me to call Extensive for you?” he asked, but just then his phone rang. “Hold on that thought.”

 

The detective picked up and spoke, “Kirby.”

 

After a few moments listening to the caller, he rolled his eyes again. “Yeah, Thompson, I’ve still got nothing for you. I’ll pass your invitation along when I see her. When I have something I can tell the press, I’ll let you know. Yeah, bye.”

Aurora blinked and grinned. Oh… he was another reporter who might be as helpful an ally as Chuntao.  More help is always a good thing!

 

Kirby sighed. “I’m seriously going to stop taking your messages.” He smiled tiredly as he pointed at Aurora. “Elton John Thompson wants to know if he can have your contact information. He’s a web guy for the Register-Post.  Guy calls me every other day about you. Now I can say you got your message and can start hanging up on him.” He chuckled.

 

Grinning broadly, Aurora laughed. “I don’t think Valerie would be too hurt if I talked to him. They have a bit of a rivalry going on, though.  I’ll think about contacting him, soonish. Go ahead and call Extensive for me.  There’s plenty of time left in the day. Might as well find out whatever else I can while the sun’s up.”

 

Kirby nodded. “Alright, I’ll ask for an interview for you, but when you go over there, just remember to say that you’re participating in our investigation.  That is, unless you’d rather be seen as an independent agent.”

 

His fingers flew on his phone as he dialed and someone on the other end picked up quickly.

 

Aurora waited as Kirby spoke with the receptionist, and then he hung up. “They don’t have any time to meet with me until Friday.” She turned towards Kirby in time to witness his dour shrugging. “In that case, you might as well head over on your own. They’ve got no idea you’d be on your way. You might manage to swing something. Sorry I couldn't do more.”

 

“No problem.  Super investigations sometimes have to go around these legal barriers.  Let’s see what I can find.” Aurora flashed Kirby a smile.

 

Kirby nodded, offering a wry smile of his own as he escorted her around the heckling officers.  When they reached the rooftop, he spoke, “I’ll be in touch. Do you mind if we try to get a scientist in to examine that critter in the cell?”

 

Aurora chuckled. “I don’t mind. Do what you want with it.  As long as we can get some kind of evidence from it, it’s worthwhile.  But let’s make sure that thing doesn’t get out. I trust you’ll do your thing while I do mine.  See you later.” She waved and flipped up into the air with a display of acrobatics and flew up as her wings grew.

 

She made a beeline for Seaside City, setting a guidepoint for Extensive Enterprise’s office and dialed up Goonie to talk with her on the way.

 

The sound of her mom’s voice filled her mind as she picked up, “Hey sweetie! Is everything OK?”

 

“Yes, everything’s fine. It's a bunch of more intrigue and mysteries so far.  I’m chasing down some more clues related to the robot attacks tonight. I just wanted to let you know that I'm shooting over to Seaside across the bay right now.  Unless I get sidetracked, I’ll probably be home for dinner.”

 

“OK, sweetie. I should be home by 6 PM, with some nice green gumbo! Yum yum!” she said happily. “Take care.”

 

Aurora smiled and grinned. “Of course. I’ll be as careful as I can.  See you then!” The call ended and she slipped her communicator back into its bosom pocket.

 

Arriving at the Extensive Enterprises building within minutes, she touched down in front. She took a deep breath and headed inside.  The reception area was full of professional-looking people in suits.  She headed over to the main desk and the woman looked up at her.

 

“Good afternoon. Can I help you?” she asked, looking at Aurora as though she was an unwanted nuisance.

 

Aurora eyed the receptionist.  She acted far too normally, considering she was speaking with a superhero.  

 

You just don’t treat heroes like some normal person who walked off the street. If one comes into your office, it means something serious.

 

“I’m the local superhero, Aurora. I work here in the sister cities.  I’m here to discuss some evidence found which was some of your company’s property.  I’m sure you’re aware of it. That big giant robot rampaging over in San Isidro. It was in the news and it happened just yesterday. A good number of the buildings downtown were damaged or demolished.”

 

When the woman continued to look at her blankly, Aurora removed her communicator and activated her Society of Sentinels membership, flashing it at her in case it helped jog her memory.  “I’d like to discuss all this with someone who’d be able to answer some questions I have.”

 

The secretary tilted her head and smiled. “Well, it isn’t exactly early in the day, Ma’am. If you have any more robots to fight, maybe we can fit you in, say… Friday?” That smile of hers was very carefully manufactured.

 

Aurora’s eyes narrowed and she slapped her hands down on her desk. “You’re awfully snarky considering your pay-level, aren’t you?” She leaned over, locking her eyes with a more serious expression. “Considering that your company’s property is involved with the rampage of a supervillain that has very nearly killed many good people in the San Isidro and left them injured, that smug expression of yours clearly shows your character, or your lack of it.”

 

The receptionist blinked and set down her pen.  “Well, Miss Superhero Aurora, I’m sure that I, a receptionist, has no knowledge of any super-level problems you’ve been dealing with and since I set the calendar, I imagine that you should try a little more please and thank you, and less of the jealous of the beautiful blonde girl who doesn’t have a dumpy butt. Now, can I set you an appointment for Friday, or are you going to slink out of this office, covering your dumpy butt, hmmm?”

 

Aurora smiled faintly and laughed out loud.  Loud enough for all to hear.  “Ohhhh… This is great.  You’re a real jewel.  Do you kiss your mother with that filthy mouth? Look… you’ve said one thing that’s true in all your blathering.  You are a receptionist. And you probably aren’t paid very much for this.  You can take a stand and be petty for now, but you see…” Aurora flipped her fingers on her card and demonstrated the recording function. 

 

“This thing can record everything you say going forward from now. You get a pass for the attitude so far, so remember that I can record it all for posterity. I’m sure your company will love you if they heard it. You’ll be a star. I can see the headlines. A foulmouthed receptionist of Extensive Enterprises doing everything ‘humanly’ possible to block justice in a fit of snarkiness,” Aurora made sarcastic air quotes with one hand at the receptionist as she spoke.

 

“And all over some kind of a weak and pathetic little power trip she’s having… because she has a huge grudge of some kind.  She has so little power in her life… so why not try to exercise some where possible, right?  Uh huh.” Aurora nodded to herself. “Why not try that with all the super-powered individuals who come to you after me, unless I’m just the latest of several who were so cleverly blocked? That’s so brave of you. So very brave and… smart.” 

 

Aurora shook her head and clenched a fist, smiling. “The bottom line is this very simple summary of our conversation: you can block me and do everything in your power to block this, or if you have nothing to hide, you can help it along and put it in your past, but sooner or later you’ll have to deal with some inevitable warrants for your records.  I’ll have you know this: I have the full cooperation of local authorities, and this investigation is very much sanctioned by Seaside law enforcement. I can assure you that nothing good will come of this if you insist on being so very difficult.”

 

The receptionist leaned back a little. “Well, I wish you had started this recording before when you implied my personal involvement with your giant robot problem miles away from here.  But, I suppose we might have to look at that actionable statement, should these legal troubles come the way of our company.”

 

She looked over at her monitor and her fingers tapped on her keyboard. “Since we don’t have a giant robot division, however, if you can tell me what manager from which department you’d like me to connect you with, maybe I can see if someone is free there. Otherwise, I'll just have to guess and send you someplace that might not be very helpful.  So, whom do you want to speak to, exactly? Do you have a name? A department to speak with? Anything?”

 

Aurora slid her fingers on her card and pulled up a clear picture of the packing slip she’d discovered and showed it. This was cooperation, no matter how snide.  It would be more than fine.

 

Aurora spoke as she zoomed in on the label, “This is what I have.  This was found in a warehouse where the robots were stored and there are some names here that are clearly printed.  Being as I don’t have any knowledge about the internal workings of your company, this is where my investigation has led me.  This lot contained the robots. It’s leftover villain technology that you buy and rework for other purposes.  No, I’m not implying that anyone in this company has made illicit use of those robots.  Your cooperation is appreciated and I would like to see everything you have concerning this lot here and any ones related to this specific technology.  I understand that companies are very busy things and you’re all very busy people, but when people’s lives are on the line, time must be set aside.  There are still more of these robots out there, somewhere. Only ten were used in the attack over in San Isidro yesterday.”

 

The receptionist’s attitude changed, finally… slightly.  “All right, then, Ma’am. Go to the fifth floor and into Purchasing. They’ll be able to point you to the purchase records. That’s where to start. Thank you.” She pointed to the bank of elevators nearby.

 

Aurora smiled genuinely and nodded. “Thank YOU!” She walked to the elevators and rode up five floors to Purchasing. 

 

When the door opened on the fifth floor, Aurora found that people were more suitably impressed by her.  They stared, interested.  She moved into the office for purchases and …

This is the official halfway point of this arc! There likely will be another fifteen chapters, making this arc as big as our longest one so far, nya! <3 It took 2.5 hours to write and edit! <3

49