4.22 – De-escalating
702 18 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nya! Celebrating the landmark of 3000 favorites, here's your spoiling chapter! <3 Btw, another will come tomorrow. I've decided to release daily again in the hope we can spur more activity! <3 Let's see if SuperLuminal can shine in the spotlight before the arc finishes! <3

Nodding her head, Leona watched her teacher go.  Ms. Browning hadn’t accepted Leona’s phone number, even though Leona could have helped if things went badly, and considering Ms. Browning’s lack of power, Leona could only wonder how the teacher planned to fix things, but at least this student admired her teacher for sticking by her beliefs.

 

Heading to the bathroom, Leona reasoned that no one would fault her for a restroom trip, since no one would be watching her activities.  Sitting in a stall, she removed her communicator from her pocket and started tapping a message furiously.  She had to do what she could on her end to try to prevent imminent chaos.

 

My friend, things are happening with Sarah Namias. She’s exhibiting

symptoms caused by Xevolve.  Scenario one is no good for her. Her

parents are abusive and are likely to trigger a violent reaction. Please

don’t allow this to happen. Let me know if you can’t get involved. I

need to know how high I need to go to protect Sarah from being hurt.

 

She’s a good girl normally, and I think I can help her to make the right

choices before the substance makes her powers manifest. Let me

know please, ASAP - Aurora

 

Leona considered the situation and decided to message Agent Carlisle as well, just in case. He’d be more liable to be in control of the situation, given how he’d acted.  Chewing her lip, Leona considered things, deciding that she might have to go to Midnight Avengers.  The Sentinels of Society had a great deal of reputation, and they could help keep something bad from happening, here.

 

As Leona’s mind raced to search for another answer, a response came from Kirby.

 

Just got the call from Martineau. I think you’re doing the right thing,

but her parents don't want her.

 

Oh crap.

 

Officers en route with restraints. Don’t resist, and make sure she doesn’t

either. Taking her to ARISE custody.

 

Kirby and Aurora had spoken about things and discussed response times, and Leona figured that she had at most ten minutes before someone arrived, and probably had a great deal less time than she estimated.

 

Leona bolted from the bathroom, legs churning for all they were worth.  She had to get out and transform, and quickly.  She had to do what she could to keep Sarah calm.  Seeing police showing up and wanting to arrest her again would probably trigger her like the first Xevolve victim. This was very very bad.

 

Even though she valued her friend on the police force, Leona couldn’t help being annoyed with Kirby for making this call.  He wasn’t able to turn Sarah over to Aurora, who was the most likely able to handle her girlfriend, even if she went crazy and her powers emerged.  Even though Aurora was a Society member, she still didn’t have the kind of reputation that would let her take charge.  things would just have to be worked out, somehow.  

 

Leona slipped through the deserted halls of the school like a ghost, doing her best to be as stealthy as possible, even though most told her she wasn’t capable of being quiet.

 

Keeping her head when passing doors, she rushed to the nearest exit, to the temporary buildings where she was able to change undercover.  By the time she got there, there was already the sound of the screeching of tires out front.  Leona triggered her transformation and cursed, sending an explosion of light around her as she flitted up and above the school to get a look at what was going on.

 

As expected, there was a police vehicle and a couple of uniformed officers that were holding a set of prisoner’s restraints that Chet showed Aurora.  He even wanted to test them on her, like some kind of fetishist.  Swallowing hard, Aurora assessed the situation. The restraints were of leather and chains, and the other held one of those collars.

 

DAMN IT!

 

They started moving towards the entrance, their body language emanating purpose.

 

Aurora flashed down and landed in front of them with another explosion of light.  She pumped her aura up as high as it could go. The officers flinched and drew back. Aurora spoke gently, though she was upset, “Officers.  I’m here to help you, but please follow my lead. I’ll make sure the girl doesn’t fight.”  Aurora wasn’t just worried about Sarah’s dignity and the pain the restraints would inflict on her, not to mention the potential damage they could potentially cause.  This was about saving the officer’s lives, as well as the lives of students and the faculty.

 

Sarah would not cooperate without Aurora talking her down.  Power surged along Aurora’s limbs and she itched to just knock out the men. That would solve the problem, but this was just a suggestion from Dark Angel, hidden deep inside Leona.  Leona wasn’t willing to cross this line.

 

“Officers, Sarah’s not yet so under the influence that she can’t be reasoned with, but what you’ve been ordered to do might trigger a full manifestation.  She’s a good girl under the influence of a chemical.  Please be gentle.” Aurora looked into their eyes, letting hers flash with determination and anger for what she had to do, and her eyes did glow.

 

The cops nodded, relieved.  “Hey, I guess Detective Kirby was able to get you, after all.  Good news for us!” one of the officers said.

 

This man understood the danger he was in.  Good.  The other chimed in, “How dangerous is she? I heard this stuff can turn you into a monster.”

 

The first replied to this man’s comment, “Yeah, Aurora’s already fought one already. It was a big giant ice monster.”

 

“No.” Aurora murmured. “He wasn’t a monster.  The kid was just a mistreated and angry child.  Sarah’s the same. Any parents who sent their kids to Padua sent them to be tortured.  Anyone would be upset with the world after what they went through.”

 

They nodded dubiously. “Damn… well, we’ll let you take point, but our instructions are clear.  We need to get her in restraints as soon as possible and bring her to a specific containment location.  Do you know where that is?” the first policeman asked.

 

“I don’t. Cells were set up in Kirby’s precinct building. If it’s anywhere else, I don’t know where, yet.  I don't intend to keep you from doing your duty, but I’d like to remain close to Sarah Namias if I can, until something is determined about her. She needs the guidance of someone she trusts.  Don’t forget that these kids are people, not monsters.  The stuff just gives you metahumans and messes with your inhibition. If she stays calm, things will go well,” Aurora murmured and turned to lead them in.

 

She entered the school with the cops heeling and the Vice Principal rushed over. “You’re Aurora, right? I wish I had you on speed dial, too. Must be nice to have the superhero on your hotline,” he said with a lascivious grin. “Anyway, the student is missing. One of the teachers thought she was ‘rescuing’ her, so she’s somewhere in this school.  I already have staff heading for the exits, so we won’t let her get away. Once we corner her, you can take her away.”

 

“We’ll be taking her into custody,” the cop who mentioned the containment location said, “Aurora’s just here to keep her under control.”

 

“Ha, good luck. She’s all kinds of emotional, especially after her father told me they can’t control her anymore. That’s why we called the Police, and that’s when the teacher went rogue and pulled her out from my office.”

 

Aurora smiled, but she wanted to backhand the Vice Principal.  It wasn’t for the smirk.  He was a monster and had no ilm of empathy.  Freaking bastards like him have no business working in education.

 

And yet, her smile was not for Mr. Daniels. It was meant for Ms. Browning who wasn’t here.  She’d had the courage to go against the establishment for Sarah’s sake.  With choices like this ahead of her, Leona knew that it was only a matter of time before she’d have to make a selfish choice.  However, saving lives was most important.  Sarah would live, no matter what happened, and she’d have a happy home for the rest of her life after all the dust settled. Ms. Browning had Leona’s respect for life.

 

“Alright.  I’ll find them.” Aurora said, glancing at the shithead Vice Principal. And she’d hate this man forever.  “Officers, I’ll warn you all to not make any aggressive moves on her.  I’ll deal with this situation, and have a talk with Kirby when everything is done. A very long one, probably.”  She left the crowd behind, leaving everyone behind and while she ran, she dialed her Goonie.

 

Unable to get through to her mom, only the answering machine, she disconnected and tried her cell phone instead.

 

“Hello,” Laguna answered, questioningly.

 

“Sarah’s parents went off the deep-end and disowned her.  We may need to take her in, but there’s a compassionate teacher who might help her too. Assuming she doesn’t get in trouble for what she’s doing. In that situation, we’ll be the best in a position to help her, maybe.  Are we going to be able? Time’s a factor.  It’s a standoff here at the school, and I have to be the one who talks Sarah down so she can be arrested with inhumane restraints.  The only thing keeping Sarah from spending a good long time in a cell depends on whether we can gain custody, and I’ll make sure Detective Kirby helps out.”

 

Goonie sighed, taking a very deep breath. “Of course we can help her, honey.  Do your best for her, and I’ll--I’ll figure things out on my end. Please keep me informed about the situation, OK? I’ll see who can take over here for me while I look into this.”

 

Aurora nodded and suppressed tears. “Thanks mom. I love you.”  She disconnected the line and quickly dialed Kirby, while running along the hallways, searching.

 

She found herself heading towards Ms. Browning’s room, since it was a too obvious place to start.  

 

“Aurora!” Kirby barked when he picked up. “Good timing. We’ve got another robot attack in town. We need you to head to the Glass Bridge again. They’re coming out of the water there.  We’ve mobilized some uniformed officers, but they’ll need help.”

 

“Of course.” Aurora said. “Kirby, Sarah Namias is a priority for me.  You’re my friend.  I need to get her placed with a family so she doesn’t end up alone in a cell.  She’s a good girl, and needs a chance to prove it. Can you get her placed with a family I have in mind? I’d like you to trust that I’ll look out for her and keep her out of trouble. Even if that involves keeping her in restraints for a short time. Can you work with me on this?”

 

Kirby sighed and responded quickly, “The current protocol with possible Xevolved is to check them in with ARISE.  Since her father has washed his hands of her, we’re just going to take her to the ARISE office and let Agent Carlisle examine her and maybe put a tracker on her. If her parents don’t allow her to go home, then she’ll definitely need a place to stay.  If you’ve a solution for that, I’d rather she spend time outside a cell.  We can agree on that, but I’m having one of our psychologists contact her parents now to try and see if there’s any other options.  Maybe some serious therapy will help mend bridges.  Speaking of which, I have a bridge of my own to take care of.  Remember, we’ll be at Glass Bridge.”

 

“I’m going too, just as soon as I can, but don’t count on an easy reconciliation with Sarah’s parents.  They’re just abusive scumbags, or rather the father, but her mother doesn’t have the strength to say no.  They don’t know the first thing about taking care of a child.  I’ll do my best to be a role model for the girl,” Aurora murmured. 

 

“Thanks for your cooperation, and I’ll see you at the bridge.”

 

Aurora had to choose between her love and her ideals.  She had to believe that her friend, Kirby, wouldn’t let Sarah get hurt any more than necessary.

While you're waiting for tomorrow's release after 5PM PST, check out a couple of books to kill the time. <3


Schwarz is my Destiny

You know it by now! It's good and so far it doesn't have much gore, but we'll see what happens. XD


The Courting of Life and Death

Warning, this one's too bloody for my tastes, but it's deep and well-written! <3

46