4.23 – Please trust
723 23 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Disconnecting the line, Aurora opened the door to peek around just as soon as the call ended.  The students inside gasped when she opened the door and looked around.  Sliding her card back into its bosom pocket she addressed the closest student, “Have you seen your teacher?” 

 

He shook his head with a dropped jaw.  

 

Satisfied that Ms. Browning and Sarah weren’t hiding inside, Aurora closed the door and ran onwards.  Considering the next most likely place Ms. Browning might take Sarah to, Aurora had a flash of inspiration when she remembered the basement.  There was a lot of storage room down there and people seldom went there, except for some students that there for various reasons such as making out.

 

Aurora headed to the stairway leading to the basement.  It was reasonable to think that even the teachers might be aware of it.  Moving purposefully down the corridors she went downstairs and walked along the lower halls.

 

Her senses sharpened, the darker it got, particularly when a noise echoed from a room to her side. Turning towards where it came from, she ran to the nearby door to slowly open it.  

 

Inside, was a large blob of a shadow, but after narrowing her eyes, she faintly saw that it was Ms Brownin who was holding Sarah in a comforting and motherly hug.  They were crouched among dusty stacked boxes.

 

Turning up her own natural Empyrean luminescence, the shadowy figures became visible as though by candlelight.

 

The two gasped and Ms. Browning was the first to speak. “Aurora, right? This girl is in an abusive situation, and I don’t want her to get passed around between the police and her parents. I’m holding onto her here so--”

 

Sarah pulled quickly away from the teacher in her rush over to Aurora to hug her warmly. “AURORA!” she cried out, starting to sob again. “N-no o-o-one wants me-ee-ee… P-please hel-help me-ee-ee…!”

 

Ms. Browning frowned, saying, “She’s terrified.  We have to help her.”

 

“I intend to, but this is going to be tricky.” Aurora smiled reassuringly and stroked Sarah’s hair. “Firstly, I need to say this to you, Ms. Browning. You’re a very good woman.  I have a great deal of respect for your actions today.  I think this will get you in a great deal of trouble, though.  Leona already told me everything she knew about this.” Turning up Sarah’s face, Aurora gently rubbed the tears standing out in her girlfriend’s eyes.

 

“Sarah… People do care about you, and they do want you.  Ms. Browning obviously cares.  I’m aware of your parents and what they’ve been doing lately.  But when things go bad, you come to know the people who really care about you, right?” Aurora smiled and looked to Ms. Browning. 

 

“Hopefully at the end of all this, teacher, you’ll keep your job and Sarah will have a happier home, no matter who adopts her.  There’s at least one family lined up to accept you.” She winked down at Sarah who was still sniffling.  Sarah nodded woodenly.

 

“I know the police and the people involved with your case, including that awful Vice Principal of yours.” Aurora’s eyes narrowed.  “I have to break this to you both gently.  The situation is bad, but not as bad as you’re afraid of. Upstairs, there are a couple of nice policemen waiting for you.  I need you to do something for me, Sarah. Please trust me and go with them.  They will put some equipment on you. Stay calm and you won’t be hurt.  I’ve told them to be gentle.  If they aren’t nice, remind them that Aurora told them to.  I know who they work for.  People will evaluate you and when that’s done, if you’re well-behaved, you’ll be placed with a family.  Leona’s family will look after you.  But also, this teacher cares about what happens to you.  She’s even risked her career and reputation for your sake.  Can you trust her and the police for me?” Aurora smiled, hoping she was right that this was the best thing to do, but she had little choice.

 

“I can’t whisk you two away because there’s a crisis ongoing in the city. The more time I spend here, the more chance things will spiral out of control.  There are many people I have to protect from yet another attack by robots. If this wasn’t happening, I’d stay by your side, Sarah, all through the entire process.  Please trust when I say that I care about you, Sarah.” Aurora hugged Sarah tightly.

 

Ms. Browning stepped up to the two and spoke resolutely, “I’ll stay with Sarah until they take her into custody.”

 

Sarah clung to Aurora and hesitantly stammered, “I-- I--- I trust y-you. C-can’t I come with you, though?” she begged.

 

“Even if you developed your superpowers this moment, I’d still say no because what that stuff they gave you in your food back at Padua is doing to you. It takes away your ability to tell good from evil… well, more accurately, it steals your inhibitions.  That’s why you were acting out today.  Leona explained all about it.” Aurora looked to Ms. Browning again and directed the next words to her, “No matter what she says or does, Sarah IS a good girl.  And I trust that she’ll do the best she can to follow my example if this condition gets worse. I’ll do everything I can to protect you both.”

 

“I don’t want you to leave!” Sarah said more forcefully. “I want you to stay!”

 

Ms. Browning put a hand on Sarah’s back. “Come on, you can trust Aurora. She’s a superhero.” Ms. Browning looked up at Aurora hopefully, as though she had doubts.

 

“I’m not letting go,” Sarah declared.

 

“Come with me upstairs for now.  I’ll escort you two, but we need to be fast.  Every moment I spend here could mean someone getting hurt or killed.  I’m not sure what kind of robots we’re looking at this time, but this situation is critical  And, as much as I worry about you both, I have to be responsible and protect the city.” Aurora slapped her aura onto Sarah and lifted her into her arms as she broke into a run.  “Follow!” she shouted over her shoulder at Ms. Browning.

 

Running with Sarah in her arms, Sarah clung happily to her.  Aurora swiftly outpaced Ms. Browning, who couldn’t keep up in short heels.  They arrived at the foyer where the police were waiting.

 

“That’s her!” the Vice Principal said, pointing at Sarah. “Wrap her up. She’s out of here!” He growled. “Before she threatens any of the good kids, take her away!”

 

“I AM good!” Sarah retorted, starting to sob again.

 

The petty man snarled a response, “Sure, you are. That’s why you got sent to that camp and got that stuff in you. That stuff makes you a danger to everyone!”

 

“I’m not a danger!” Sarah said, hugging Aurora tighter.

 

“All right, everyone just calm down,” one of the cops said, taking control.  He stepped between the Vice Principal and Aurora.  Aurora’s eyes had narrowed dangerously.  She was about to embed him in the nearest wall. The police officer continued, “we’ve got this from here.  Just head back to your office, please, sir.”

 

Aurora smiled, glad that she could trust these men as she thought.  She didn’t hold back, however when she responded, “Do not slander Sarah.  She’s a very good girl who’s under the influence.  Her record is perfect and you know it.  Don’t judge her for what her parents did to her.  They condemned her to that camp, and it wasn’t because she was ‘bad’.  They said she was.  Anyone in their right minds would not have.  If you’re unable to conduct yourself in a manner that’s becoming of an educator, I assure you that your words will be brought to the attention of the authorities.

 

Walking past them with Sarah in her arms, Aurora nodded to the officers.  “Please remember to be gentle with her.  She may be a little hostile right now, but you’re familiar with how people act when they’re on drugs, right?  She didn’t take this stuff willingly. I’ll be in contact with Detective Kirby and Agent Carlisle,” Aurora said firmly as the officers nodded and walked after her.

 

Stepping outside together, a certain Vice Principal tried to follow them and watch.  Glancing over his shoulder, one of the officers caught him following them.  He shrugged and turned, firmly escorting him back inside. Mr. Daniels shouted, “Make sure you---”

 

He was back inside, Aurora tried to gently pull Sarah away, but she wouldn’t let go and started frantically wailing,  “P-please… don’t let them take me away… just let me go… please… Aurora… please…”

 

The remaining officer spoke gently, understanding, “Come on now.  We have to make sure you’re restrained for the trip.  It’s not going to hurt, I promise.  That’s why we have the leathers here, so it won’t crush like cuffs do.  Come on.”

 

“Sarah, please listen to me.” Aurora sighed.  “You have to make a decision to make right now.  I’m asking you to prove to me that you can be a hero, no matter what others say about you.  The stuff inside of you wants to make you into a villain. It’s that horrible chemical talking right now, not you.  But, I know you’re stronger.  I know that you ARE a good girl. A superhero must protect lives and the sanctity of property.  We can’t put ourselves before others.  If you want to be a hero and you want others to see you as one, you need to take a stand.  I ask you to trust me.  Be brave and do what’s right for everyone.  We’ll all be waiting for you when this stuff’s out of your system. Trust me.”

 

Sarah asked with wet eyes, “If I promise to be good, can you ask them to not tie me up?”

 

Aurora turned her eyes on the officer. “With the suppression system in place, would it matter if she was restrained too? Isn’t that just extra cruel?” 

 

 He shrugged, frowning slightly. Aurora turned her attention back to Sarah and spoke, trying to reassure her, “These restraints shouldn’t hurt you, they say.  Can you be a hero?  The city’s under attack right now.”  Aurora reminded Sarah of that as her eyes misted because she did not at all want to leave Sarah, even knowing that the officers wouldn’t hurt her.  Aurora’s lips tightened.  She had to do this, because others wouldn’t be safe if Sarah wasn’t decontaminated. Worse, taking her into a fight with robots when she had no experience with whatever powers she might manifest would just get her hurt.

 

“Little lady,” the officer suddenly addressed Sarah, “I’ll make a deal with you. If you let us put this collar on, I won’t use restraints on you. It’s just something that will make sure nothing happens. Sounds good?”

 

Sarah looked at Aurora and begged, “Please?”

 

The officer stepped behind Sarah and shook his head negatively.

 

“Please!”

 

“No, Sarah.” Aurora’s heart was heavy. “Make the right choice.  This officer is trying to be as kind as he can.  Are you going to let people die because you’re afraid?”  She tried to show disappointment she couldn’t actually feel.

 

Sarah sniffled and finally let Aurora go.  “I… understand. I’m too much trouble, even… even for you.”

 

The officer approached with the inhibitor collar and closed it around Sarah’s neck.  She made a gurgling noise as it clicked closed and her teeth gritted. Lights activated on the collar, flicking until three were steadily on.

 

“It… h-hurts…” Sarah grunted.

 

“It’s not supposed to…” the officer said, “It’s only supposed to hurt only if you try to use your powers, they…”

 

The second officer left the building and screamed loudly.  “HOLY!” He pointed at the sky.  The three outside looked up to see two large missiles hurtling towards them. Plumes of smoke they left in their wake pointed almost directly towards Glass Bridge.

 

“DAMN IT!” Aurora yelled and launched herself into the sky. 

 

“I’LL BE BACK FOR YOU, SARAH!” 

45