4.29 – Of heroes and villains
698 23 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mechanica stood above on one of the manufacturing machines with her cape made from wires billowing behind.  Her gunmetal colored bodysuit shone as though it was truly made with metal.  Aurora couldn’t see much of her thanks to the light streaming from the windows down onto the occupants of the room on the floor.

 

“No, you fool! Destroy them at once!” Mr. Mechanical emulator shrieked from where he was still trapped in Aurora’s halo laminate, hopelessly watching on one of its monitor screens. Mechanica shot a heated glare up the hallway.  

 

“This base has been compromised,” the metal-clad villain yelled. “We have nothing to lose by letting this reporter go free.  Hero, let go of her and she may leave.”

 

Valerie looked at Aurora, shaking her head, but Aurora gently pushed her away, urging her to leave, “Go, Chuntao.  Don’t worry about me.  I’ll be fine.” 

 

Aurora turned towards Mechanica again and smiled warmly, even though she couldn’t read her face.  “I appreciate the courtesy and this opportunity to have a talk with you.  I came specifically to find you, but after I saw that this woman had been captured, it became my first priority.”

 

Valerie hesitated even after Aurora’s gentle prodding. Looking over her shoulder, she nodded as she rushed towards a metal staircase up onto the catwalk and along it towards the window she’d entered through.  Some of the robots activated thrusts as they began to rise and intercept her, but a shimmering movement forced their return to attention.  She reached the window and slipped out while shooting Aurora a worried look as she slid down the drainpipe.

 

“NO! RECAPTURE HER!” Mr. Mechanical tried to order, shrieking manically. “KILL THEM BOTH!”

 

Aurora shot a glance over her shoulder towards where the robot was uselessly trying to flail.  Her head head hung over as she rolled her eyes.

 

Mechanica returned Aurora’s focus to her when she spoke again, ignoring the emulator’s shrieking, “Your teammates killed my father,” Mechanica said cooly, her voice hissing like a drawn blade,  “There’s nothing to say.”

 

Aurora considered the accusation as she shook her head. “What happened to your father happened a very long time ago. Honestly, his death was inevitable.  It was his work that took his life from him. He worked with radioactive elements and toxic substances that have since been proven to shorten a person’s life after exposure. Let’s talk more about you. I wish I knew more about you, Mechanica. I would like to learn more of you.  We don’t know each other well right now, so we’re on equal footing.” Aurora winked at the villain’s shadowy figure.

 

Not content to leave her speech at that, Aurora continued, “I get that you seem to want revenge for his death or something else I’m not aware of, but I can say something about you that’s certain.  You aren’t even slightly a bad person.”

 

Mechanica didn’t move for a long moment while considering Aurora’s words. “This is uncharacteristic of what a superhero would say in this situation.  Shouldn’t you say that I’m evil and that you intend to end my plans? That’s what they all say. I just threatened your life, if you hadn’t noticed.  You’re supposed to be a so-called hero.” The villain paused for a long moment and sighed. “Very well, I’ll hear--”

 

“NO!” Mr. Mechanibot roared from the hallway. “She’s just stalling for time! It’s a classic tactic.  You’re just unfamiliar with their patterns!  Don’t let her speak.  Do not make the mistake--- *BEEP* Mr. Mechanical… does not make mistakes… e-even so! KILL HER! Else, she will imprison you!”

 

Mechanical scoffed, “You are here as an advisor, and nothing more, Number Four,” she said imperiously.  Aurora suppressed an urge to blink.  There were at least four of these obnoxious emulators?  Jeez.  “As the heir to my father’s inventions and empires, only I am able to make the decisions regarding his legacy.” There was a shimmering effect around Mechanica as she leapt down from her vantage to land about twenty feet away. Her form became fully visible, except for her face which was covered by a gunmetal-colored mask.

 

Aurora smiled, as she inspected Mechanica.  Mr. Mechanical wasn’t just a doddering robotic engineer otaku.  He actually had an artistic eye where his child was concerned, because she had an excellent feminine figure without overly large breasts and hips that were just wide enough. She wasn’t designed by a man for other men.

 

After seeing Aurora’s smile, Mechanica frowned, warning her, “Don’t try anything hostile now that I’ve surrendered the high ground in this battle. The moment your power increases, the truce will be ended.  My minions will open fire and this discussion will be ended.  Now, back on the subject, I admit that your atypical behavior has my curiosity piqued, so if you wish to continue, say your piece.”

 

Smiling, Aurora nodded. “I do, thank you.  I wonder what your concept of what a hero is supposed to be, honestly.  I feel that I’m very typical of them, but maybe that’s just my wanting to be just like the ones I most idolize.   On another note… I’d like to ask a question of you, if I may.”

 

Mechanica nodded with a thoughtful expression.  Her eyes narrowed as her lips twisted. “Go ahead.”

 

Bowing her head, Aurora realized something.  There was a thing that Mechanica didn’t seem to be aware of.  Was she unaware that she was a robot?  Unsure of how this could be, Aurora asked the question, “Do you know how you came to be born?”

 

The question was innocuous and Mechanica answered, puzzled. Her head tilted and her hard eyes softened into something slightly different. “It’s basic biology.  A man and a woman… they…” her voice became slightly shy and she started twiddling her fingers, embarrassed. “Th-they mate! YOU KNOW! You seem old enough to understand the concept!” she huffed curtly. “Why would you ask such a thing?”

 

Aurora did her best not to squee.  Mechanica was cuter than her bug robot ever was.  She was a true masterwork.  Mr. Mechanical #4 bellowed loudly again, interrupting the moment, “SHE’S TRYING TO CONFUSE YOU! Don’t listen to her LIES!”

 

Aurora gazed thoughtfully at Mechanica.  That reaction was so very innocent.  She said that Aurora’s behavior was unexpected of a hero, but the feeling was mutual.  Knowing she had to interject, Aurora spoke again with a smile, “I’ve learned a bit about you, and I suspect something about you.  I’d like to tell you what that is, but I don’t know how you’d react.  I wouldn’t want to hurt you.”  Aurora chewed her lip.

 

Mechanica didn’t say anything at all in response to what Aurora suggested, so the superhero nudged the villain a bit more, changing the subject, “Maybe it’s best that we skip that for now.  I’d like to ask another question.” Aurora pointed at the passageway leading to the control room as she asked, “So he’s basically some kind of a carbon copy of Mr. Mechanical, or so I understand.  He kinda copied his brain, which means that Number Four and the other emulators act and think like your father would, right?  It’s clear that you don’t agree much with how they all want to do things.  Therefore, it’s clear that the morality compass they were programmed to have is not yours.  You have different beliefs and desires, and your father left you a free will, unlike them.  You choose to value life. Assuming that their ways were programmed by your father, I don’t think you agree with his methods. The things he does don’t agree with you, but he’s your father.  You were given a free will, but just because he’s your father…” Aurora shrugged, trailing off.

 

Knowing that she had to do more to reach Mechanica, Aurora tried the last thing she could think of that would form a connection between them. It was a huge risk and she knew it. “I hope you’ll be willing to listen to my story.  I’d like to tell you a story about my father, rather than asking another question.  If you don’t mind, that is.”  Aurora waited.

42